Anthony Edwards

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Anthony Edwards 

Post#1 » by Lazlo4D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Watching these highlights, Anthony Edwards looks like he COULD become a top 10 player in the NBA. He single handedly brought GA back who were down 30 pts vs Mich St. He can do it defensively, drive, go inside, long range... Be a nice fit next to Sabonis or Turner.

[url][/url]

Not sure what the Pacers would need to trade to position themselves to get him. But it would be nice to have a player that COULD make the Pacers much more relevant when it comes to being a contender, national TV games, and the like.

Not saying he is Doncic but the Mavs turned their future around with being aggressive and taking a chance. Can you imagine the Mav's without him now?

Playing it safe has/will crippled the Celtics, they'll never win the championship the next 10 years because Danny Ainge won't have the nerve to gamble when he thinks they are so close. He had the all the trade assets he needed, he could have had Paul George, Jimmy Butler, AD, others, Could have sacrificed a few late round FRP's to move up in drafts but didn't. All those FRP's he wasted, are now on the roster of the Maine Red Claws.

Pacers probably lost out on several trips to the NBA finals, years ago, when other teams gambled and made move getting Rasheed Wallace or Latrell Sprewell.

RealGM had poll to predict the 2021 Eastern Conf winner, a few weeks ago, Six teams to were listed to choose from, the Pacers weren't an option. 2020 NBA East 4th seed but no respect. But maybe it's time to be bold.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Re: Anthony Edwards 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:46 pm

My concern with Anthony Edwards is his willingness to put in the work. He’s an elite athlete who has always been one of the best at his level, but he’s never excelled in results, his teams haven’t won at ANY level, and he is all too willing to take possessions off and just coast on defense. He’s got all the ability, but his willingness and effort are all total questions. He seems a bit like an Andrew Wiggins in this regard. And effort and willingness to work is the hardest thing to teach or convince a player to build on. You can fix a shot. Rarely can you fix effort.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 pm

In terms of what it’d take to get him? Either Myles or Sabonis as a base. I don’t think Oladipo would get you close enough coming off his injury.
Lazlo4D
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Lazlo4D » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote: Rarely can you fix effort.

Scoot, he just turn 19 on August 5th. He has had to put in a ton of work/dedication to be able to shoot those long 3's and become that athlete. Nobody is just born with skills.

From Wiki: Edwards' mother, Yvette, and grandmother, Shirley, both died from cancer during an eight-month span in 2015, when he was in eighth grade.

So I am going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Everything has risk. His ceiling, might be worth the risk. Pro basketball is suppose to be exciting. The Pacers need more of that.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Lazlo4D wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote: Rarely can you fix effort.

Scoot, he just turn 19 on August 5th. He has had to put in a ton of work/dedication to be able to shoot those long 3's and become that athlete. Nobody is just born with skills.

From Wiki: Edwards' mother, Yvette, and grandmother, Shirley, both died from cancer during an eight-month span in 2015, when he was in eighth grade.

So I am going to give the kid the benefit of the doubt. Everything has risk. His ceiling, might be worth the risk. Pro basketball is suppose to be exciting. The Pacers need more of that.

It’s fine. Lots of guys have so much talent and physical ability that teams are willing to apologize for them and give them the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it even works out. It rarely works out though. Maybe he’s different and maybe he puts it all together. But it’s a MASSIVE risk, and usually one with low rates of success. He’s also a guy that shot 40/29/77 in college with super high turnovers. Overall, a super athlete with really poor shooting and really poor defense. So, he’ll take awhile and may need to be brought along slowly off the bench.

And, if you draft him, you shouldn’t do it until after you trade away Oladipo, as you’ve essentially told Oladipo you’re hoping to replace him, and other teams are trading less as they see you needing to trade him for sure.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,579

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:13 pm

I've heard of Waiters as a comparison, not in good ways. That said, he's the guy at the top of the draft who would make most sense for us if we tried to swing a big deal. Clearly Wiseman doesn't fit at all and Melo is the polar opposite of what the team wants in every single way. The rest could fit depending on who we trade though.
Guzman_9
Pro Prospect
And1: 183

Post#7 » by Guzman_9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:07 am

From the first 3 mins of the video his play style and shot form literally resembles Oladipo in my eyes haha
Pacer Fan. 8-)
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:50 am

I liked Edwards, until I read that laziness might be a concern (well, maybe laziness isn't the right word, but you get the picture)

As for fit, it depends on whether you think the offense should be built around Domas or Vic

Vic is (was?) obviously the more dominant scorer between the two of them, and at his peak you can just give Vic the ball and trust him to get you a bucket, most of the time

Domas, otoh, is fantastic playing the PnR, and he is also great at finding his teammates when they make opportune cuts to the basket

Imo, the team can try building around Domas offensively

To do this, you need a lead guard who also excels at playing the PnR, and players who are adept at moving without the ball

Not sure that Anthony Edwards fits that description

That said, I do like trying to pry that 2021 Wolves FRP from the Warriors though, as it represents an easy way to get a quality pick in the 2021 draft

I'll gladly trade Warren plus other assets for that pick, but I don't think that's enough for the Warriors

We could try doing Warren + Vic, but then that's really poor value for us

(I don't want to trade Domas or Myles until the new coach has given the Domas + Myles pairing a chance, and Brogdon's kind of untradable for PR reasons)

Return to Indiana Pacers