ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch - Revised Poll

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you prefer of the following prospects?

Desmond Bane
41%
Saddiq Bey
3%
RJ Hampton
3%
Kira Lewis Jr
14%
Tyrese Maxey
7%
Aaron Nesmith
7%
Isaac Okoro
3%
Jalen Smith
7%
Tyrell Terry
7%
Patrick Williams
7%

Total votes: 29

Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospect Watch 

Post#1821 » by Kerrsed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:41 am

For those that want Kira because of his speed, what if i told you we could get a young PG that is "6’4.25 in shoes with a 6’8.5 wingspan and a lean 185-pound frame at the Draft Combine. Tested among the most explosive leapers in Combine history with a 35” standing vertical jump and a 43” maximum vertical jump. Effortless athlete with an impressive combination of speed and explosiveness." His strengths are very very similar to Lewis Jr (Speed, ability to get to the rim and score in a litany of different ways) and the same weaknesses (3 Point Shooting, finding the right blend between scoring and playmaking, defensive tenacity).

Strengths
Equipped with unbelievable leaping ability and quickness, he has all the tools to create highlight-worthy plays in the NBA. The New York native has a penchant for slashing through the lane and rising above the rim to finish with authority. Utilizing a lightning-quick first step, he gets to his favorite spots on the court with ease. Once in the paint, he routinely finishes through contact. Outside of half-court sets, he shines when his athleticism goes unimpeded on fast-break opportunities.

Defensively, he has an attractive wingspan for a point guard. In theory, he could easily switch between both backcourt spots and stymie forwards in short bursts on switches.

Weaknesses
His tremendous upside is overshadowed by his lack of polish. He has yet to display that he can consistently convert shots outside of the paint and there is little indication that he will develop that skill moving forward. Despite a frame and skill set that is favorable to the point guard position, he is more of a combo guard. It is possible he remedies that listing once he gains experience inside a traditional NBA offense. For now, his lack of experience can lead to hurried and indecisive moves against top-level competition. His defensive upside is largely tied to his favorable measurements and he will have to prove he can hold his own at the next level.

"The consensus is clear. He has elite athleticism that will translate to the league immediately."

National top-50 recruit by ESPN and Rivals.
Named MVP of the National Prep Championship Tournament.

He has good size for a primary ball handler, plus he’s fast and athletic. While he plays with the ball in his hands, he’s much more of a combination guard than a true lead guard at this stage. His quick first step allows him to get paint touches. He also has quick twitch muscles, is quick off his feet and is a tremendous leaper. At this stage, he’s at best in transition or attacking the rim. One of the most electric players in the class. The biggest area for growth is long-range shooting, as he struggles at this stage. He could also take care of the ball better and give more consistent effort on defense - where he has all the tools to be very good. There’s a lot of upside here.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,444

Post#1822 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:23 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2913904-knicks-have-liked-isaac-okoro-from-the-jump-in-nba-draft-bruce-pearl-says.amp.html

I guess this shouldn't be too surprising! I really hope that they get there guy in this draft! 8-)

Yeah, I've seen that the Cavs and Knicks and maybe the Hawks like him. The Hawks do seem to have taken a number of wings in the last few couple years though.

For what it's worth, I think he'd best fit the Hawks next to Tre, As a strong defensive compliment, But with playmaking ability that can benefit them nicely. And as a multi positional defender for them.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#1823 » by darealjuice » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:33 am

Man if Lecque could shoot, handle the ball, and pass like Lewis he wouldn't be averaging 13/3/3 on 41/21/60 shooting splits in the G-League lol he'd be damn good. He's a good lottery ticket and I hope we're able to turn him into a basketball player, but he has a long way to go before being NBA ready.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1824 » by cberry78 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:04 am

Kerrsed wrote:For those that want Kira because of his speed, what if i told you we could get a young PG that is "6’4.25 in shoes with a 6’8.5 wingspan and a lean 185-pound frame at the Draft Combine. Tested among the most explosive leapers in Combine history with a 35” standing vertical jump and a 43” maximum vertical jump. Effortless athlete with an impressive combination of speed and explosiveness." His strengths are very very similar to Lewis Jr (Speed, ability to get to the rim and score in a litany of different ways) and the same weaknesses (3 Point Shooting, finding the right blend between scoring and playmaking, defensive tenacity).

Strengths
Equipped with unbelievable leaping ability and quickness, he has all the tools to create highlight-worthy plays in the NBA. The New York native has a penchant for slashing through the lane and rising above the rim to finish with authority. Utilizing a lightning-quick first step, he gets to his favorite spots on the court with ease. Once in the paint, he routinely finishes through contact. Outside of half-court sets, he shines when his athleticism goes unimpeded on fast-break opportunities.

Defensively, he has an attractive wingspan for a point guard. In theory, he could easily switch between both backcourt spots and stymie forwards in short bursts on switches.

Weaknesses
His tremendous upside is overshadowed by his lack of polish. He has yet to display that he can consistently convert shots outside of the paint and there is little indication that he will develop that skill moving forward. Despite a frame and skill set that is favorable to the point guard position, he is more of a combo guard. It is possible he remedies that listing once he gains experience inside a traditional NBA offense. For now, his lack of experience can lead to hurried and indecisive moves against top-level competition. His defensive upside is largely tied to his favorable measurements and he will have to prove he can hold his own at the next level.

"The consensus is clear. He has elite athleticism that will translate to the league immediately."

He has good size for a primary ball handler, plus he’s fast and athletic. While he plays with the ball in his hands, he’s much more of a combination guard than a true lead guard at this stage. His quick first step allows him to get paint touches. He also has quick twitch muscles, is quick off his feet and is a tremendous leaper. At this stage, he’s at best in transition or attacking the rim. One of the most electric players in the class. The biggest area for growth is long-range shooting, as he struggles at this stage. He could also take care of the ball better and give more consistent effort on defense - where he has all the tools to be very good. There’s a lot of upside here.

Spoiler:
Baby Westbrook
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#1825 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:14 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2913904-knicks-have-liked-isaac-okoro-from-the-jump-in-nba-draft-bruce-pearl-says.amp.html

I guess this shouldn't be too surprising! I really hope that they get there guy in this draft! 8-)

Yeah, I've seen that the Cavs and Knicks and maybe the Hawks like him. The Hawks do seem to have taken a number of wings in the last few couple years though.

For what it's worth, I think he'd best fit the Hawks next to Tre, As a strong defensive compliment, But with playmaking ability that can benefit them nicely. And as a multi positional defender for them.

I think they expect DeAndre Hunter to be good defensively and also Reddish, and then they have Huerter who averages almost 4 apg. You think they would want to draft another wing on top of all those guys?

I think they would be a perfect spot for Wiseman or Okongwu, since Collins can hit the 3 but is weak defensively. They could also clean up defensively/protect the rim for all the PGs Trae lets by.
Blonde
Veteran
And1: 3,723

Post#1826 » by Blonde » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:54 am

darealjuice wrote:Man if Lecque could shoot, handle the ball, and pass like Lewis he wouldn't be averaging 13/3/3 on 41/21/60 shooting splits in the G-League lol he'd be damn good. He's a good lottery ticket and I hope we're able to turn him into a basketball player, but he has a long way to go before being NBA ready.

I would be very surprised if Lecque ever makes an NBA rotation. He was maybe the worst player in the g-league last year. Wish he wasn’t guaranteed for another year... we could use the roster spot for actual nba players.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1827 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:30 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think they expect DeAndre Hunter to be good defensively and also Reddish, and then they have Huerter who averages almost 4 apg. You think they would want to draft another wing on top of all those guys?

I think they would be a perfect spot for Wiseman or Okongwu, since Collins can hit the 3 but is weak defensively. They could also clean up defensively/protect the rim for all the PGs Trae lets by.

Yes, Actually I do. Don't be that surprised if they select one of Okoro or Vassell at 6, IF either are on the board. As far as defense/ rim protection, They already have Capela specifically for that. Also, I'm sure that they'll have Hunter as a backup 3 to Grant or possibly Ctowder or Holiday at the 3. And Reddish as their backup 4. They also have Dedmon behind Capela at center. So honestly they're pretty good there. It'll be interesting to see which position they prioritize at 6. My money is still on one of Okoro or Vassell with their 3rd choice being Avdija.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1828 » by Kerrsed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:57 am

I also believe the Hawks pass on Okoro. Same reason BW said, they have lots of "Highly rated (In College) wings" that they are working on developing. If they go for best fit/need, i think they grab Haliburton if he is still on the board. Trae is their franchise PG. They just got done paying Teague $19M to play a little over 20 minutes off the bench. His contract just ended and i dont see them trying to re-sign him. They need a back-up for Trae. Haliburton can give them that 20 minutes. The only other position i think they could address is PF. Need a back-up for Collins. Okongwu could definitely be in play. Gives them a very strong defender who's only real hole in his game is 3 point shooting, but his solid FT% makes me believe that he very well could be a 3 point threat, he just wasnt put into position to do so in college.

Knicks also would pass on Okoro. They need offense and need it bad. They ranked 2nd to last in points. You cant just load a team up with all defenders who cant shoot, which is pretty much where they sit now. They also rank dead last in 3 pointers. I think they go for Toppin if he's available. If he's taken i have them looking at Hayes or even going the Vassell/Nesmith route.

Cleveland really needs a SF. But with them being so high i dont know if they would pass on Avdija for Okoro. They have definitely gone after more defensive minded players in the past drafts (Garland/Sexton/Jones). From what i understand they really like Avdija because he can play both SF and PF with no issues, He's more seasoned and ready to contribute right away, and has a solid all around game. But i do see Toppin's name being tossed around by the Cleveland media. Played in Dayton, so he has a built in local fanbase, they know him very well, Solid 3 point shooter who can stretch the floor next to Drummond. He also makes Loves large contract expendable and with Toppin on the team they can start looking to better their team via Love trades.

I do find it funny when researching Clevelands thinking i came across 2 different articles from their local media trashing Vassell's new shooting form.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/10/2020-nba-draft-does-devin-vassells-altered-shooting-motion-change-top-5-potential.html

https://kingjamesgospel.com/2020/10/17/cleveland-cavaliers-draft-devin-vassells-new-shot-hard-unsee/

I guess Ball is at the top of their Big Board. Since Garland/Sexton are both more defensive minded combo guards, they feel like Ball would be a solid fit at Point-Forward (SF). I wouldnt be surprised to see them as one of the teams that ends up moving up in the draft. Would MIN take Love/#5/Future Pick for #1/Johnson/Culver ? No defense but all offense for the Wolves. Gotta admit it would be interesting.
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
TheLogician
Sixth Man
And1: 1,532

Post#1829 » by TheLogician » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 am

Listen to the two most recent Dunk'd On podcasts breaking down Haliburton and Toppin. I'm out on them. Give me Kira Lewis Jr., Tyrese Maxey, or Josh Green.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#1830 » by Saberestar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:54 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Blonde wrote:Out of guys who I'm fairly confident will be available at 10, Lewis is by far my top choice of this class.

I wonder if they'd take Lewis over Hayes. I am guessing with this post, it's assuming Hayes is gone at 10.

This is why this draft (even more than every other draft) is an absolute crapshoot.

Why are "experts" that sure about Ball, Hayes and Haliburton being in a much higher tier than Maxey, Lewis and Cole Anthony?

Seriously, I think that all of them are about the same as a players now and it is a lottery ticket who is gonna be the better player in a couple of years.

I think people are giving the edge to those three just because they are taller. It is probably as simple as that because that is what they have in common. They are between 6'5 and 6'7 and Maxey, Lewis and Anthony are around 6'3 at most.

That would be a mistake because height is not that important, obviously it is a factor but there are some other stuff much more decisive as shooting off the drible, basketball IQ, handles, ...

All in all I want to say that I am fine with any of those six PGs at #10. I would be OK with Tyrell Terry too. I hope James Jones/Bower make the right decision.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#1831 » by sunsbg » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Looking at the picture in below article I hope Lewis is not the PG version of Marquese if we pick him.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020/10/16/21517227/suns-2020-draft-spotlight-kira-lewis-jr-phoenix-suns
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1832 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Jide Sodipo (@jidesodipo) Tweeted:
Just a sneak peek of @IQ_GodSon
5 minutes 3pt endurance shooting to finish is workout.

Finished this last part making 39-40....

Made 78-84 Overall!!!

Name a better shooting PG in the draft? https://t.co/H9tTBmF15u
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1833 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 pm

Mike Schmitz (@Mike_Schmitz) Tweeted:
Two minutes of 16-year-old phenom Victor Wembanyama and two-time NBA DPOY Rudy Gobert going at it during 2-on-2 in France. Wembanyama's skill level, agility and incredible length are on full display. Arguably the best prospect in the world regardless of age. https://t.co/4ES1jNyMB6
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I know he's not going to be in this draft, But still curious as to everyone's thoughts on his potential upside, IF he can only fill out? Could he possibly become a mix of Rudy Gobert (shotblocking/ defense)/ Porzingis ( Shooting/ mobility)?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1834 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:16 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Yes, Actually I do. Don't be that surprised if they select one of Okoro or Vassell at 6, IF either are on the board. As far as defense/ rim protection, They already have Capela specifically for that. Also, I'm sure that they'll have Hunter as a backup 3 to Grant or possibly Ctowder or Holiday at the 3. And Reddish as their backup 4. They also have Dedmon behind Capela at center. So honestly they're pretty good there. It'll be interesting to see which position they prioritize at 6. My money is still on one of Okoro or Vassell with their 3rd choice being Avdija.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Capela...I was looking at the stats and games played here and for some reason he's not listed...must have been injured and he's 2nd to last on the roster. https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020.html

I still think Okongwu would probably be a good pick, to have a cheap backup who could eventually take over after Capelas few years. With so many cheap wings taken in the last two drafts, Okoro or Vassell don't make total sense to me. I have read that a backup PG or combo guard makes a lot of sense and seen Haliburton's name mentioned. They don't really have a backup PG unless they re-sign Teague, but Haliburton makes a lot of sense to play with both and add some D next to Trae, could guard the PG.

Edit...I see Kerrsed mentioned Haliburton too, but I had read that he would fit well and I think they like him somewhere else and it makes sense since they don't have a backup PG, and have a lot of raw prospects and he is more ready to play.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1835 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:24 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Blonde wrote:Out of guys who I'm fairly confident will be available at 10, Lewis is by far my top choice of this class.

I wonder if they'd take Lewis over Hayes. I am guessing with this post, it's assuming Hayes is gone at 10.

This is why this draft (even more than every other draft) is an absolute crapshoot.

Why are "experts" that sure about Ball, Hayes and Haliburton being in a much higher tier than Maxey, Lewis and Cole Anthony?

Seriously, I think that all of them are about the same as a players now and it is a lottery ticket who is gonna be the better player in a couple of years.

I think people are giving the edge to those three just because they are taller. It is probably as simple as that because that is what they have in common. They are between 6'5 and 6'7 and Maxey, Lewis and Anthony are around 6'3 at most.

That would be a mistake because height is not that important, obviously it is a factor but there are some other stuff much more decisive as shooting off the drible, basketball IQ, handles, ...

All in all I want to say that I am fine with any of those six PGs at #10. I would be OK with Tyrell Terry too. I hope James Jones/Bower make the right decision.

I think with Haliburton it's because he is more of a sure thing that he will at least likely be a fairly solid rotation player..and he can do lots of things. I think with Ball it's his name and fancy passing, because he really lacks in the shooting and defense categories, which would usually hurt a PG If they can't do either. Cole Anthony was just really disappointing, but I agree with Maxey, Lewis...a lot of people like Hampton and Maledon too...Maledon isn't mentioned a lot but he was a pretty good shooter and played a good number of minutes in the euroleague. I like Tyrell Terry too. I think he is one of the more sure things of the group. A lot of people fall in love with size and raw upside...and think it's easy to learn to shoot even if they haven't done so yet....and ignore that you can learn to do other things as well, probably easier than learning to shoot if you've shown you can't.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1836 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Kerrsed wrote:For those that want Kira because of his speed, what if i told you we could get a young PG that is "6’4.25 in shoes with a 6’8.5 wingspan and a lean 185-pound frame at the Draft Combine. Tested among the most explosive leapers in Combine history with a 35” standing vertical jump and a 43” maximum vertical jump. Effortless athlete with an impressive combination of speed and explosiveness." His strengths are very very similar to Lewis Jr (Speed, ability to get to the rim and score in a litany of different ways) and the same weaknesses (3 Point Shooting, finding the right blend between scoring and playmaking, defensive tenacity).

Strengths

Weaknesses

I definitely think that we should hold onto Jalen. He's obviously still got very high upside! :wink:

About Jalen Lecque
Possesses good size for a guard measured at 6'4.25 in shoes with a 6'8.5 wingspan and a lean 185-pound frame at the Draft Combine. Tested among the most explosive leapers in Combine history with a 35” standing vertical jump and a 43” maximum vertical jump.
NBA.com › draft › prospects › jalen...
2019 Draft Prospect | Jalen Lecque | NBA.com
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1837 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Capela...I was looking at the stats and games played here and for some reason he's not listed...must have been injured and he's 2nd to last on the roster. https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/2020.html

I still think Okongwu would probably be a good pick, to have a cheap backup who could eventually take over after Capelas few years. With so many cheap wings taken in the last two drafts, Okoro or Vassell don't make total sense to me. I have read that a backup PG or combo guard makes a lot of sense and seen Haliburton's name mentioned. They don't really have a backup PG unless they re-sign Teague, but Haliburton makes a lot of sense to play with both and add some D next to Trae, could guard the PG.

Edit...I see Kerrsed mentioned Haliburton too, but I had read that he would fit well and I think they like him somewhere else and it makes sense since they don't have a backup PG, and have a lot of raw prospects and he is more ready to play.

Yeah, A lot of Hawks fans that I have talked to have Haliburton near the top.of there board. But I personally don't think he gets past Chicago if he's there at 4, As they're high on him too as an off ball playmaking defensive compliment to Lavine. Anyways, from talking to a few Hawks fans, There board is pretty much-
1- Haliburton.
2- Okoro.
3- Avdija.
4- Vassell.
5- Hayes.
6- Okungwu.
7- Wiseman.
8- Toppin.
9- Patrick Williams.
10- Rj Hampton and Tyreese Maxey ( Outliers tied). But again, Varying opinions from random fans of course may not align with front office plans. :lol:
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1838 » by Kerrsed » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:Finished this last part making 39-40....

Made 78-84 Overall!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not the way to go when trying to improve your draft stock.

The thing is that everyone knows Quickly is a phenomenal shooter. He shot over 40% from 3 in both his seasons at Kentucky (43% this year). The reason he is listed as low as he is on so many mocks and big boards is due to everything else. Poor finisher at the rim; he lacks verticality, an off hand, and a sense for using touch. Lacks playmaking chops; he’s a reactive passer, not a creator. And though he can handle, he’s not breaking down NBA defenders.

So the smart thing to do is work with your trainer on those issues and try to show off the improvement there. Post videos of you attacking the rim, finishing with your left, breaking down a defender and hitting an open man at the 3 point line. Show teams what your perceived weakness is and how its not as bad as people think. Teams already know you can shoot the ball at a high clip, so there really is no need to just show them more of what they already know. Show them what they dont know.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1839 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:Finished this last part making 39-40....

Made 78-84 Overall!!!

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Not the way to go when trying to improve your draft stock.

The thing is that everyone knows Quickly is a phenomenal shooter. He shot over 40% from 3 in both his seasons at Kentucky (43% this year). The reason he is listed as low as he is on so many mocks and big boards is due to everything else. Poor finisher at the rim; he lacks verticality, an off hand, and a sense for using touch. Lacks playmaking chops; he’s a reactive passer, not a creator. And though he can handle, he’s not breaking down NBA defenders.

So the smart thing to do is work with your trainer on those issues and try to show off the improvement there. Post videos of you attacking the rim, finishing with your left, breaking down a defender and hitting an open man at the 3 point line. Show teams what your perceived weakness is and how its not as bad as people think. Teams already know you can shoot the ball at a high clip, so there really is no need to just show them more of what they already know. Show them what they dont know.

You're right! :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1840 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

Return to Phoenix Suns