ImageImageImage

Do you think Udonis Haslem is coming back next season?

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,396

Re: Do you think Udonis Haslem is coming back next season? 

Post#21 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Part of Haslems value is (as I understand it), he works tirelessly in the gym to 'stay ready' in case he is called to play minutes. At 40 years old, and hardly playing, he is in 'Heat shape'. For a team like Miami that demands such quality of care and discipline of your body, this example he sets means no excuses for young guys that are sitting at the end of the bench not getting minutes to also be in this shape. That can be invaluable in our regime and would be lost if he was in a staffing role.
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#22 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:13 am

Make him retire, give him a job that pays him more than enough to show up to practice and work guys out - and give him the seat next to the end of the bench or even the row behind the bench.

Anthony Carter is sitting there now
Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,010

Post#23 » by DayofMourning » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:26 am

Definitely need someone who can get those minutes as 15th man.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,027

Post#24 » by 3ballbomber » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:24 am

DayofMourning wrote:Definitely need someone who can get those minutes as 15th man.

HerroBalls wrote:Make him retire, give him a job that pays him more than enough to show up to practice and work guys out - and give him the seat next to the end of the bench or even the row behind the bench.

I mean.....we get it. You're 40, still in shape, personify toughness, hold old school values & discipline & rep Heat culture. But if our players, especially after this season, still need a 40yo dude to help remind them to be tough & work hard then we have bigger issues than wether he shld retire or not.

He can still try to out run, our train, out rep & scream at them in game's & training. He can be as useful post retirement. He may even find more ways to help out.

We respect & admire him but it really is time to move on rather than not retire & continue to sit on the bench all season & wait for moments when he can scream & motivate the team. Players play, if you don't then you're no longer a player.

Besides Butler, i believe, has taken over that UD role as the tough nut. He's shown that he's cut from the same cloth. Haslem may have become obsolete.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#25 » by HIF » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm

GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:
Flash4thewin wrote:UD is coming back as a player. He doesnt count much against the cap and he gets 2+ mil which will continue to repay the paycuts he has taken for the team. I can see UD being a Heat players into his early 40s

I understand that but he takes up a roster spot. That just isn't right.

We can still pay him $2m as a coach to repay him for his sacrifice (not sure how any player's wages can be described as sacrifice in the real world though).

Missing the point. UD as a coach isn't the same as UD as a the player. He still is in the locker-room, he is still wearing the same jersey as them. Its very different once he puts on a jacket. UD the player/coach is much more valuable than UD the coach.

I think you're missing the point.

He isn't worth wasting the roster spot.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HeatIn5
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#26 » by HeatIn5 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:55 pm

We NEEDED rebounds against the Lakers and probably did not even have 1 serious moment of thinking "let's put him in".

There was a better chance Malik Allen was suiting up.

It's time bud

Read on Twitter
BIRDMAN BIRDMAN
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#27 » by BIRDMAN BIRDMAN » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:30 am

I love UD. I am more in the neural position because I understand both sides.

Do I want the only Heat OG left of the Shaq/Zo/Wade/LeBron/CB teams in the roster? Heck yes is always my first answer. But is it really worth it when we are talking about 2020-21? If we weren't contenders then the answer is easy and I would want him to retire. But being a Finals team makes it tougher than you think. And being sentimental about the paycuts before makes you think further. I would agree that UD in a suit coaching is different than UD in the warmups/jersey. But until when will we have to do this?

I really appreciated UD when he was featured during the Boston and LA series scolding our guys. But at the same time, that's what frustrates me at times. Someone here said it similar. Do these guys really need UD to babysit them everytime they lose focus? If it weren't for him telling Jimmy to take over vs. Milwaukee then we probably lost? Or him cursing the sht out of them just to bounce back in the ECF/Finals? I hope regardless with or without UD soon, these guys bring the Heat every game, pun intended. If you need someone else to motivate you, then you have no motivation to begin with.

Either way, as a Heat fan, I think I can take on 1 more year of UD. He deserves to be applauded in the AAA one final season. Ending his career in the bubble would be sad. Then after that, hopefully he gets to join the Heat staff by then.
:hug:
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,137

Post#28 » by Heat3 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:03 am

HerroBalls wrote:We NEEDED rebounds against the Lakers and probably did not even have 1 serious moment of thinking "let's put him in".

There was a better chance Malik Allen was suiting up.

It's time bud

I’d be willing to be my life savings that at no point in the past, present or future would a Riley/Spoelstra Heat team go to the 15th man in the NBA Finals for help. Scratch that. I’d bet my life on it.

There were between 6-10 Heat players who did not see the court in each Finals game. You think only someone taking UDs job would make a difference but not the others? You maybe able to replace UD as a warm body for practice but not his leadership.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,717

Post#29 » by al bondiga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:13 am

In most cases when you abuse a good thing it turns into a bad thing...UD is a great 40 year old player but not even close to a good NBA player anymore so if he stays on he is just being greedy and if you pay him you're telling your players you don't trust them enough and they need a nanny
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,177

Post#30 » by AirP. » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:47 pm

contract wrote:
TheBomb81 wrote:What do you think?

Probably. Not sure why but whatever. It's not like he's doing any harm.

Well, adding an actual usable defensive big in his roster spot may have changed how the finals went. Not sure why he can't just be another assistant coach.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,715

Post#31 » by contract » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:35 am

AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:
TheBomb81 wrote:What do you think?

Probably. Not sure why but whatever. It's not like he's doing any harm.

Well, adding an actual usable defensive big in his roster spot may have changed how the finals went. Not sure why he can't just be another assistant coach.

UD may be near useless on the court, and I'm not a big believer in his "leadership", but even so, just his professionalism makes him more valuable than some other guys. That will likely be true next year too.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,177

Post#32 » by AirP. » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:30 am

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:Probably. Not sure why but whatever. It's not like he's doing any harm.

UD may be near useless on the court, and I'm not a big believer in his "leadership", but even so, just his professionalism makes him more valuable than some other guys. That will likely be true next year too.

Cool, have him as an assistant coach. He can still practice with the team and chew them out on the sidelines, the only issue would be the drop in pay because I doubt many assistants get 2.5 mil a year.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#33 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:04 pm

HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:
I understand that but he takes up a roster spot. That just isn't right.

We can still pay him $2m as a coach to repay him for his sacrifice (not sure how any player's wages can be described as sacrifice in the real world though).

Missing the point. UD as a coach isn't the same as UD as a the player. He still is in the locker-room, he is still wearing the same jersey as them. Its very different once he puts on a jacket. UD the player/coach is much more valuable than UD the coach.

You are right. That 15th man, who won't get into a game, likely will be cut is worth more than the Captain of the team, the OG who helps establish a culture, the veteran that all players want to have on the team, not as a coach. You're right, the team as a whole is better when we ignore the players wishes of having in as a player/coach over adding a journeyman 15th man. If you think UD isn't worth the 15th spot, you missed the part of HEAT culture being very important.
HIF
RealGM

Post#34 » by HIF » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:03 am

GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:

You are right. That 15th man, who won't get into a game, likely will be cut is worth more than the Captain of the team, the OG who helps establish a culture, the veteran that all players want to have on the team, not as a coach. You're right, the team as a whole is better when we ignore the players wishes of having in as a player/coach over adding a journeyman 15th man. If you think UD isn't worth the 15th spot, you missed the part of HEAT culture being very important.

And you miss the smell of the BS that you talk.

The 15th man is about taking a chance on a player that could potentially be great but has reasons that no-one wants to give them a shot on a roster spot that matters. The rest of what you say is utter crap. UD can play the exact same role whilst being called a "coach" which is in effect the job you are describing. He still establishes the culture an can still be buddy buddy if you really think that's what grown men are looking for on a title aspiring team.

RonaldSeikaly
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#35 » by RonaldSeikaly » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:13 pm

HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:

The 15th man is about taking a chance on a player that could potentially be great but has reasons that no-one wants to give them a shot on a roster spot that matters. The rest of what you say is utter crap. UD can play the exact same role whilst being called a "coach" which is in effect the job you are describing. He still establishes the culture an can still be buddy buddy if you really think that's what grown men are looking for on a title aspiring team.

I know it’s not the point. But if UD Wasn’t a player LeBron would’ve walked out on the bubble and we would’ve never had our finals run. There is something different about being a player. The relationships are different, being one of the guys in the locker room is different, being invited to the players only meetings is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by GameTime_3 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:40 pm

HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:

You clearly have never played a sport or know anyone in the professional sports world. One thing is a coach and another is a jersey, different set of rules and different sense of leadership. As much as it sucks that a player like Yante or any other 15th man, it still doesnt help as much as having UD around, one the court, in practice, being a PLAYER first, coach sending to them.UD leaves when he wants and when the players ask him too, not some key board warrior who thinks a chance on a 15th man is more important than having the Captain of the team take the last spot. When asked last year?

“You have to ask my teammates if this is my last season. It’s up to those guys,” Haslem said

“I play in practice every day,” Haslem said, pointing to the Heat’s practice court. “I understand what my role is. But I understand when I step between these lines on this practice floor, that is my game. That’s my approach to it and that lights a fire for these guys, that encourages these guys, that drives these guys, that pushes these guys.

Thanks for the history lesson HIF as always. I love the smell.
HIF
RealGM

Post#37 » by HIF » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 am

GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:

You clearly have never played a sport or know anyone in the professional sports world. One thing is a coach and another is a jersey, different set of rules and different sense of leadership. As much as it sucks that a player like Yante or any other 15th man, it still doesnt help as much as having UD around, one the court, in practice, being a PLAYER first, coach sending to them.UD leaves when he wants and when the players ask him too, not some key board warrior who thinks a chance on a 15th man is more important than having the Captain of the team take the last spot. When asked last year?

“You have to ask my teammates if this is my last season. It’s up to those guys,” Haslem said

“I play in practice every day,” Haslem said, pointing to the Heat’s practice court. “I understand what my role is. But I understand when I step between these lines on this practice floor, that is my game. That’s my approach to it and that lights a fire for these guys, that encourages these guys, that drives these guys, that pushes these guys.

You've always been full of it and full of yourself.

Being a groupie (or hanger-on) isn't the same as being a player or coach, so what would you know?

I'm pretty sure that I've won more trophies as both a player and coach in sports than you have.

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,746

Post#38 » by eddieheatfan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:21 pm

HIF wrote:
GameTime_3 wrote:
HIF wrote:

You've always been full of it and full of yourself.

Being a groupie (or hanger-on) isn't the same as being a player or coach, so what would you know?

I'm pretty sure that I've won more trophies as both a player and coach in sports than you have.
ITS TIME FOR HIM TO RETIRE,HE CONTRIBUTES NOTHING AT THIS POINT.JUST OFFER HIM A COACHING /TRAINING JOB AND CALL IT A DAY.

THE STARS THAT THE HEAT HAS HAD KNEW WHEN TO RETIRE.TIME TO UD TO DO THE SAME AND STAY WITH THE HEAT IN ANOTHER WAY
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by GameTime_3 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:19 pm

HIF wrote:You've always been full of it and full of yourself.

Coach Erik Spoelstra said Haslem “was really the one that was controlling the huddles” in the fourth quarter of Miami’s Game 3 comeback win over the Bucks on Friday. Heat All-Stars Bam Adebayo and Jimmy Butler both credited Haslem for pulling them aside late in that game to deliver a pointed message

Haslem likely won't play a meaningful minute in the postseason but he has meant plenty to the success. He has often led team huddles and there are times coach Erik Spoelstra defers to the ultimate "Heat-Lifer."

"Our culture is probably UD screaming at everybody in one of the timeouts and us liking it," Spoelstra said.

But please remind me about those Trophies you won HIF. I mean, everyone deserves a participation trophy! I mean, if it makes you feel better, Fanatics has a 60% sale for more if that works for you.

Haslem = Heat Culture. When he and the team arrives at that moment for him to move on to whatever the next stage is, that's when its time. Anyone who sees otherwise, likely doesn't understand what UD means to the team compared to the 15th man who may or may not play any minute or add any value outside of a body.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#40 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 3:24 am

he's like that friend who is always over and eating the cookies your mom baked.
Donald Trump is an idiot.

Return to Miami Heat