The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1001 » by TheBallsDeeper » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 am

This is what Doc Rivers needs to do;

Ask Simmons if he is willing to try shooting with his correct hand. Tell him you want him to put up 10,000 shots right-handed over the next 30 days and then evaluate if it is worth pursuing a shooting hand change.

If he does - it proves that he is willing to do whatever it takes to improve - and he will if he shoots correctly.

If he doesn't trade him ASAP.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,675

Post#1002 » by stormi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:47 am

top kek
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,735

Post#1003 » by phillynative » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:This is what Doc Rivers needs to do;

Ask Simmons if he is willing to try shooting with his correct hand. Tell him you want him to put up 10,000 shots right-handed over the next 30 days and then evaluate if it is worth pursuing a shooting hand change.

If he does - it proves that he is willing to do whatever it takes to improve - and he will if he shoots correctly.

If he doesn't trade him ASAP.

IDK if thats gonna work .

Might make his hands too achy for call of duty.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,514

Post#1004 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Fool me once, strike one.
Fool me twice, strike three.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1005 » by Sixersftw » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:14 pm

Lets **** Go! Rampant hype followed by crushing disappointment is back on the menu boys.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1006 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:56 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,848

Post#1007 » by Stanford » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:39 pm

Lonzo takes 6 threes a game
stormi
General Manager

Post#1008 » by stormi » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:15 pm

It's memes and he hates basketball, but he's the only Sixer in a long time consistently working, staying in shape and trying to improve. My franchise player.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,113

Post#1009 » by eyeatoma » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:59 pm

Hating the game, probably contributes massively to his lack of improvement in the jumper. He is more concerned with his brand than being the best version of himself on the court. It might be psychological, but at this point it is what it is. He is a borderline all-star who is an elite defender. He makes the team better, but does not help in the half court offense where we need true playmakers who can get their own shot. All of this fluff he does during the summer reels everyone in, and we've been disappointed annually. It's not going to change now, if it does, great, I stand corrected, but it's not. The only solution for this team is to get an actual playmaker who can get their shot, or trade Ben when his value is still high.
stormi
General Manager

Post#1010 » by stormi » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:04 am

freethrow% has risen every season, especially in clutch moments. Hack-a-Ben came and disbanded rather quickly in his rookie year. Doesn't shoot 3's but creates more than any other player in the league, Lebron, Luka whoever. Has improved meteorically defensively since he's came into the league and is arguably the best defender in the world as well as being extremely versatile 1-5. Has seen sports psychologists about shooting, is in the gym nearly everyday practicing.

But the fans need a scapegoat and Embiid is the prodigal son. It'll be Jimmy mourning but 10 fold for the next decade+ if he ever got traded because this organization would implode.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1011 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:32 am

stormi wrote:freethrow% has risen every season, especially in clutch moments. Hack-a-Ben came and disbanded rather quickly in his rookie year. Doesn't shoot 3's but creates more than any other player in the league, Lebron, Luka whoever. Has improved meteorically defensively since he's came into the league and is arguably the best defender in the world as well as being extremely versatile 1-5. Has seen sports psychologists about shooting, is in the gym nearly everyday practicing.

But the fans need a scapegoat and Embiid is the prodigal son. It'll be Jimmy mourning but 10 fold for the next decade+ if he ever got traded because this organization would implode.
Lol so he hits his free throws at 60% wow. Ben is elite as a playmaker but you still don't have an answer for our horrible half court offense with him. His post game is incredibly awkward and he still contorts his body because he's shooting with the wrong hand. You don't think all of his working out and posting it on social media doesn't have to do with his image? Cmon, don't be naive. Embiid has a lot of flaws, but is able to do the most basic thing in basketball. Embiid's game doesn't require others to change their game for him. Embiid would fit a lot better on other teams. You need to create a very specific team for Ben to shine, similar to Giannis.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1012 » by eyeatoma » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:37 am

Also I was right behind you in singing his praises last summer. Got burned too many times. Taking even two 3 pointers a game will not do anything. He'll need to take 5 -8 to make a noticeable difference.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1013 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 am

FT% is really an indicative of how good he can shoot a 3. Look at Blake Griffin’s FT%, he went from 50+-60+% and is now shooting it at around 80%. Both Ben and Blake were supposed to have similar shooting trajectory.

So it’s not just Ben not shooting 3s. It’s just he’s not improving with his 3s and FTs. If there is, it’s really miniscule.

I dont really but into blaming Brett for not pushing Ben into shooting 3s in the game. For Ben knows his branding and value will drop if he jack up those 3s like Josh Smith.

Worse comes to worst, he has to be a reliable FT shooter, able to shoot the mid range and some 3s like Jimmy.

How do I know if Ben’s really working on his shot? If his FT% improves. Until then, it’s a scam.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#1014 » by Sixersftw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:37 pm

76ciology wrote:I dont really but into blaming Brett for not pushing Ben into shooting 3s in the game. For Ben knows his branding and value will drop if he jack up those 3s like Josh Smith.

So I don't get this part or the entire he's only about his image thing but not really gonna play shrink here. Ben Simmons is the only player, for the last handful of years at least, that is legitimately afraid to shoot. That is all you hear and it drowns out a lot of the good in his game. How is being the only player afraid to shoot and being the butt of all non-shooter jokes worse for his image than being one in a long line of guys that are great at everything else but shoots a trash percentage from 3?

Being like Giannis, early Lebron, early Kidd etc etc is a lot better for your image than being an even more timid early Rondo. Not comparing overall skill levels but these are players that would obviously be Ben's peers as far as play style goes.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1015 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:27 pm

Sixersftw wrote:
76ciology wrote:I dont really but into blaming Brett for not pushing Ben into shooting 3s in the game. For Ben knows his branding and value will drop if he jack up those 3s like Josh Smith.

So I don't get this part or the entire he's only about his image thing but not really gonna play shrink here. Ben Simmons is the only player, for the last handful of years at least, that is legitimately afraid to shoot. That is all you hear and it drowns out a lot of the good in his game. How is being the only player afraid to shoot and being the butt of all non-shooter jokes worse for his image than being one in a long line of guys that are great at everything else but shoots a trash percentage from 3?

Being like Giannis, early Lebron, early Kidd etc etc is a lot better for your image than being an even more timid early Rondo. Not comparing overall skill levels but these are players that would obviously be Ben's peers as far as play style goes.

In terms of scoring, which is the top of the pyramid in offense. The only bright spot for Ben is his FG%.

His 16ppg is basically like Eric Snow’s number after adjusted pace (exaggerating but you get my point). Normal Powell is a better scorer than him (no exaggeration).

A guy averaging 16ppg on 60FT% and 40+FG% POINT with 8astg and 8reb/g GUARD, looks more like a taller MCW to me.

Thinking about it, MCW should have took the “ben simmons” route and completely disregard taking perimeter shots and being selective with his shots.

If Ben doesnt shoot, he doesn’t exposed his flaw. At the back of your mind it’s like.. “once he shoots, everything will be fine” but no, it will be worse. What will make it “fine” is when he starts shooting it AFTER he improves his shot. Which his FT% is very likely be the indicator.

If Ben starts shooting 70-80% from FT line and doesnt take 3s, now that’s when it becomes a coaching problem.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#1016 » by rzzzzz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:54 pm

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/17/sixers-star-ben-simmons-back-in-the-gym-working-on-his-jumper/

(at least it's a good off season activity that will only expose good intent.)
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,786

Post#1017 » by Negrodamus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:54 pm

76ciology wrote:
Sixersftw wrote:

In terms of scoring, which is the top of the pyramid in offense. The only bright spot for Ben is his FG%.

His 16ppg is basically like Eric Snow’s number after adjusted pace (exaggerating but you get my point). Normal Powell is a better scorer than him (no exaggeration).

A guy averaging 16ppg on 60FT% and 40+FG% POINT with 8astg and 8reb/g GUARD, looks more like a taller MCW to me.

Thinking about it, MCW should have took the “ben simmons” route and completely disregard taking perimeter shots and being selective with his shots.

If Ben doesnt shoot, he doesn’t exposed his flaw. At the back of your mind it’s like.. “once he shoots, everything will be fine” but no, it will be worse. What will make it “fine” is when he starts shooting it AFTER he improves his shot. Which his FT% is very likely be the indicator.

If Ben starts shooting 70-80% from FT line and doesnt take 3s, now that’s when it becomes a coaching problem.

The difference between Ben and MCW is that Ben can switch 1-4 on defense while performing at an All-Defense NBA team level while being able to finish at the rim. MCW does none of those things.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1018 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:15 am

rzzzzz wrote:https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/17/sixers-star-ben-simmons-back-in-the-gym-working-on-his-jumper/

Did you read the article?

It’s like it was written by Siri.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,907

Post#1019 » by Wilfried » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:06 am

rzzzzz wrote:https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/17/sixers-star-ben-simmons-back-in-the-gym-working-on-his-jumper/

Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1020 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:06 am

Wilfried wrote:

Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?

Not 2017. I believe it was the summer when he added 20lbs of muscle.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers