The value of Wiggins

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

What is Wiggins value?

GSW Fan - Strong positive
2%
GSW Fan - Slight positive
2%
GSW Fan - Neutral value
2%
GSW Fan - Slight Negative
4%
GSW Fan - Strong Negative
5%
Other Fan - Strong positive
2%
Other Fan - Slight positive
6%
Other Fan - Neutral value
11%
Other Fan - Slight Negative
23%
Other Fan - Strong Negative
43%

Total votes: 242

COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Re: The value of Wiggins 

Post#41 » by COY0607 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:31 am

Given his contract, there is no way his value isn't a net negative. That doesn't mean he can't be a productive player - to be honest I think he's become underrated. He's a solid 2-way player who has been part of one of the worst managed teams filled with turbulent personnel.

If GS keep him, he can be really strong player for them and a potential x-factor. He would be especially critical given GS have to go through LeBron, Kawhi, Luka in the West and Wiggins is probably their best perimeter defender.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#42 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:04 am

NuggetsWY wrote:Really nicely setup poll! :wizard:

but yeah non gsw fans has more votes as Wiggins being positive so i dont trust this poll. needs authentication.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,694

Post#43 » by whatisacenter » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 am

drosereturn wrote:

but yeah non gsw fans has more votes as Wiggins being positive so i dont trust this poll. needs authentication.

:lol: a realgm GB poll needs authentication :lol:
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#44 » by NZB2323 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 am

COY0607 wrote:Given his contract, there is no way his value isn't a net negative. That doesn't mean he can't be a productive player - to be honest I think he's become underrated. He's a solid 2-way player who has been part of one of the worst managed teams filled with turbulent personnel.

If GS keep him, he can be really strong player for them and a potential x-factor. He would be especially critical given GS have to go through LeBron, Kawhi, Luka in the West and Wiggins is probably their best perimeter defender.

How is he a 2 way player? He’s had a negative DBPM every year of his career. What makes you think he’s a better perimeter defender than Klay or Dray? Are you under the impression that Wiggins is a good defensive player? What on earth would possibly give you that impression?
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,568

Post#45 » by Sofia » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 am

drosereturn wrote:

The point is to compare where the averages sit between warriors fans and non-Warriors fans.
President of the Grady Dick Fanclub - top ****
President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub - go stiffies!
cookiies
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#46 » by cookiies » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:23 am

COY0607 wrote:Given his contract, there is no way his value isn't a net negative. That doesn't mean he can't be a productive player - to be honest I think he's become underrated. He's a solid 2-way player who has been part of one of the worst managed teams filled with turbulent personnel.

:lol: :banghead:
One NBA scout who spoke to Tom Haberstroh of NBC Sports says the new Warriors forward is a “one-way player.”

Andrew Wiggins has carried a reputation that he doesn’t put in enough effort defensively, but maybe the numbers were missing something. I asked a longtime NBA scout for his opinion on Wiggins’ defensive play. The response: “Poor. One-way player.”

Wiggins career DRtg 114
DeRozan career DRtg 110

warriors jersey make him 2-WAY PLAYER....?? derozan 2-WAY? :banghead:
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#47 » by michaelm » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:44 am

As per the other thread, nowhere near worth his contract on disclosed form.

As has been said already on this thread by another poster with whom I agree could also very well be a worthwhile acquisition for GSW given the circumstances of his acquisition. I am of the view there was considerably more certainty about DLo being useless to GSW than there is in regard to Wiggins, I don’t believe there were better trades available for DLo than Wiggins particularly with the 1st thrown in, so all he has to be for GSW given it is Lacob’s money which is being expended is better than nothing, as per the other thread also. I have strong hopes he will be considerably better than nothing given much better coaching and being surrounded by winning players, but we shall see; end.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#48 » by Zeno » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:35 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Nothing, he absolutely blows.

They have the #2 pick. That's their trade bait.

#2 also might be the least valuable number 2 in NBA history since the player will still make a sizeable amount when most teams want to maintain or cut salary and the draft is considered pretty flat, Thrown on top of that teams have the least ability to Evaluate playerS ever and no ‘butts in the seats’ motivation to make a big splash. Ninny’s pick next year is worth a lot more as an asset.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#49 » by Optms » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 pm

Andrew Wiggins is my go-to guy when calling out basketball players that aren't really basketball players, but athletes masquerading as basketball players. Dude is only it in for the money. You can't prove me wrong.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#50 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Zeno wrote:

#2 also might be the least valuable number 2 in NBA history since the player will still make a sizeable amount when most teams want to maintain or cut salary and the draft is considered pretty flat, Thrown on top of that teams have the least ability to Evaluate playerS ever and no ‘butts in the seats’ motivation to make a big splash. Ninny’s pick next year is worth a lot more as an asset.

Warriors are 3 for 3 in lotto picks last 11 yrs. Plus 2nd rd finds in Green and all rookie Paschall.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,581

Post#51 » by Zeno » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Warriors are 3 for 3 in lotto picks last 11 yrs. Plus 2nd rd finds in Green and all rookie Paschall.

I’m not commenting on how the Warriors would do with the pick, I’m talking about value of the pick to other teams in the form of what they would be willing to give up in trade.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#52 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:06 pm

If Wiggins has 16/17 like season ,1st with Tibs no Butler, on 48% shooting and average defense he is a positive.

Wiggins will matched up with teams 3rd best perimeter defenders with the gravity of Curry and spacing of Green helping Wiggins
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#53 » by leolozon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:28 pm

As a number 1 or 2 option, strong negative. As a role player, I guess slight negative... even though, he was really bad behind Buttler and Towns as a 3rd option... So maybe I'm being too hopeful.
Retro_Junkball
Senior
And1: 277

Post#54 » by Retro_Junkball » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:53 pm

Other fan. Every so often, someone on the Raptors board will ge t shot down on a trade-for-Wiggins thread. Hope he turns it around, but he has a lot to prove before getting near his contract value. Raptors had to deal with Bargnani for many years, so are familiar with talented players who show flashes of potential, but never realize their full potential.
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,013

Post#55 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:31 pm

With that contract, he makes all-star he will reach neutral status
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#56 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:01 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
Zeno wrote:

Their last 3 lottery picks were Barnes, Klay, and Udoh. I'd call it more like 1 for 3.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,603

Post#57 » by ConSarnit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:18 pm

Pre-Covid

Warriors: slight negative
Rest of League: strong negative

Post-Covid

strong negative all-around

Pre-covid money printing Warriors could afford to take on a bloated contract as:

a) even if Wiggins is actually worth 13-14/yr they could afford to eat the rest of his deal
b) Curry, Klay and Draymond's deals leave little flexibility for adding talent

This also assumes the MIN pick work outs in their favor.

If Covid means no fans for a while then the tax bill could become crippling and makes Wiggins deal just as bad for them as it would for anyone else.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#58 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
Zeno wrote:#2 also might be the least valuable number 2 in NBA history since the player will still make a sizeable amount when most teams want to maintain or cut salary and the draft is considered pretty flat, Thrown on top of that teams have the least ability to Evaluate playerS ever and no ‘butts in the seats’ motivation to make a big splash. Ninny’s pick next year is worth a lot more as an asset.

Their last 3 lottery picks were Barnes, Klay, and Udoh. I'd call it more like 1 for 3.

3 for four since 2009. Only 3 players from Barnes draft started more games. Drummond and Green were not starters year 1. A player who can start for 7 years is usually a good draft pick .

Sorry about Udoh.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#59 » by xdrta+ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:12 pm

Warriorfan wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

3 for four since 2009. Only 3 players from Barnes draft started more games. Drummond and Green were not starters year 1. A player who can start for 7 years is usually a good draft pick .

Sorry about Udoh.

Tell that to Warrior fans who were ready to ride Barnes out of town on a rail after his last playoffs with them. He played 4 years for the Warriors and the they got nothing for him in the end, I don't call that a good result.

But none of that matters, as the stockbrokers say, "past performance is no guarantee of future results." The Warrior FO has changed, who knows what they'll come up with.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#60 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:30 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Sorry about Udoh.

Tell that to Warrior fans who were ready to ride Barnes out of town on a rail after his last playoffs with them. He played 4 years for the Warriors and the they got nothing for him in the end, I don't call that a good result.

But none of that matters, as the stockbrokers say, "past performance is no guarantee of future results." The Warrior FO has changed, who knows what they'll come up with.

They would have could have signed him but trade iggy.

Yes they drafted a 2nd round all rookie. They got a young 20pt scorer mgmt believes they can rehab and two lottery picks with one of the better batting averages.

Warrior D league players are all over the NBA. They didn't have room. Nunn in Mia was GS.

Return to The General Board