ImageImageImageImageImage

2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT)

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,216

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) 

Post#1841 » by mpharris36 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:yeah. i can very much live with okoro at 8. i think that's your jimmy butler type who actually will figure out his best shooting application in the NBA. thibs would love coaching a kid like this.

might not last until then unfortunately. seems to be moving up.

wolves- Edwards
warriors- wiseman
hornets- lamelo
Bulls- Deni
Cavs- Okongwu
Hawks- Hailburton
Pistons- hayes
Knicks- okoro

this is the only real scenario i see okoro falling that far

obi is going to be in that mix too for a top 8 pick
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: 2019-2020 College/Draft thread X [marks the spot] (Knicks own #8 pick, 11/18 DRAFT) 

Post#1842 » by WargamesX » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:06 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:yeah. i can very much live with okoro at 8. i think that's your jimmy butler type who actually will figure out his best shooting application in the NBA. thibs would love coaching a kid like this.

It’s not insane. Those names are all usually mocked in the top 8. I also think Toppin could go early as well.

wolves- Edwards
warriors- wiseman
hornets- lamelo
Bulls- Deni
Cavs- Okongwu
Hawks- Hailburton
Pistons- hayes
Knicks- okoro

this is the only real scenario i see okoro falling that far
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#1843 » by Fat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:07 pm

8516knicks wrote:
louisorr wrote:I know this doesn't add to interesting conversation, but at this point I'm mostly interested in the mental makeup of our picks. we already have Knox, smith and frank who have no confidence and/or are passive players. That's why I don't see them ever being part of our core. the worst thing we could do is add another player with this type of flawed mindset. this is why I think its not out of the question to give rj ball handling responsibilities, he of the mamba mindset. interviews are more important than highlights for me

Just saw a Mock that had us taking Okoro #8 and Tre Jones #27 - that's elite D which supposedly Thibbs likes.

Tre Jones
Frank
RJ
Okoro
Mitch

Too bad that group can't score. But they play good D.

:lol: this lineup would struggle to crack 60. Might as well make that trade for CP3 and beg carmelo to come back

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#1844 » by F N 11 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:18 pm

robillionaire wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:Reading the tea leaves I wouldn’t be surprised if this is our starting lineup next season

Cp3
Maxey
RJ
Melo
Mitch

Lol get ready
Read on Twitter

these are the paths in front of us. We can go get LaMelo, a young franchise PG which will also allow us a great pick in 2021, or we can go get these geezers or westbrook and pick mid 1st in 2021 and have no future

Berman needs to get exposed. I’m sick of this ****.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1845 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:20 pm

HerSports85 wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:
Lol get ready
Read on Twitter

these are the paths in front of us. We can go get LaMelo, a young franchise PG which will also allow us a great pick in 2021, or we can go get these geezers or westbrook and pick mid 1st in 2021 and have no future

I’m with you on the last part. I know we need veteran leadership but I want us to roll with a young team and just have Taj as a player coach. I’ve soured on Lamelo a little.

I rather us keep the 8th pick and trade back up to grab any combination of Nesmith, Maxey, Haliburton, RJH or Kira

I’m not against that plan of trading back but I’m not convinced that the knicks will see those guys as franchise PG and will still pull a knicks and trade for cp3
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#1846 » by dakomish23 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:21 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:My two picks since Hayes won’t be there

23.0 PPG 4.9 RPG 0.9 APG 1.4 SPG 0.9 BPG
51% on 14.6 FGA 52% on 8.2 3PA 83% on 4.5 FTA
66% EFG 69% TS

Nesmith will make some team very happy.

Spoiler:
AARON NESMITH
Wing, Vanderbilt, sophomore
Perimeter Shooting
Hustle

Possesses a flamethrower jump shot; he projects easily as a high-end role player, though he flashes raw ability off the dribble.

SHADES OF: Dale Ellis, Danny Green, taller Buddy Hield

PLUSES

Unlimited range; spaces the floor by demanding a defense’s attention. Skilled shooter off screens who takes tight routes, makes smart reads, and has elite fundamentals from catch to release.
Comfortable shooting 3s off the dribble. He has a nice side step and stepback 3 with clean footwork.
Straight-line driver who is decisive attacking closeouts. With his size and strength, he could develop into a good finisher.
Understands his role and excels within it. He’s a great screener, executes plays, takes smart shots, and keeps the ball moving.
Competitive on-ball defender; with some improved fundamentals and athleticism, he could become far more versatile.
Intelligent defender. Though he’s not a great athlete, his positioning makes him a deterrent at the nail and around the rim.

MINUSES

Struggles finishing at the rim against length and contact. He’s not much of a leaper and is prone to getting his shot blocked or heavily altered.
Shot-creation ability: He lacks shake as a ball handler, burst on drives, and explosiveness in the paint.
Passing vision: He can make basic reads, but he isn’t going to make any advanced plays or deliver the ball with precision.
Man-to-man defense needs work. He’s slow laterally and would struggle against speedy guards. Improving his pliability would help him.

16.6 PPG 6.3 RPG 3.9 APG 1.5 SPG 0.5 BPG
45% on 13.6 FGA 44% on 6.5 3PA 79% on 1.8 FTA
56% EFG 57% TS

Spoiler:
DESMOND BANE
Wing, TCU, senior
Perimeter Shooting
Hustle
Off-Ball Defense

High-IQ guard who plays hard. He already has a veteran skill set and projects favorably as a rotation player.

SHADES OF: Malcolm Brogdon, Alex Caruso, Lamar Patterson

PLUSES

Knockdown shooter who thrives running off screens and using manipulative moves to shake loose from defenders. Despite unorthodox mechanics, he shot 43 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the line in four years at TCU.
Comfortable shooting off the dribble. He won’t be an iso threat in the pros, but can attack a mismatch or pull-up to punish a scrambling defense.
Excels at pick-and-roll decision-making, playing with pace and delivering accurate passes all over the court.
Solid finisher who can use either hand around the rim. He has touch, which is vital since he lacks hops.
Decisive player who reads the floor at a high level. He cuts and relocates well and facilitates effectively and intentionally.
Excellent defensive fundamentals: He sits in his stance and rapidly reacts to cut off drives. With a strong frame and quick hands, he has versatility.

MINUSES

He needs to tighten his handle to create space against athletic defenders. Though he improved in that area at TCU, he still has room to grow.
Lack of burst or a quick first step, plus his short arms, could limit both his at-rim finishing ability and his defensive impact.
Defensive versatility is questionable on paper because of his physical and athletic profile.

Bane at 8? He’s most likely gonna be there at 27 lol

Yeah that’s what I meant with out two picks, not my 2 picks at 8.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#1847 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
8516knicks wrote:
louisorr wrote:I know this doesn't add to interesting conversation, but at this point I'm mostly interested in the mental makeup of our picks. we already have Knox, smith and frank who have no confidence and/or are passive players. That's why I don't see them ever being part of our core. the worst thing we could do is add another player with this type of flawed mindset. this is why I think its not out of the question to give rj ball handling responsibilities, he of the mamba mindset. interviews are more important than highlights for me

Just saw a Mock that had us taking Okoro #8 and Tre Jones #27 - that's elite D which supposedly Thibbs likes.

Tre Jones
Frank
RJ
Okoro
Mitch

:lol: this lineup would struggle to crack 60. Might as well make that trade for CP3 and beg carmelo to come back

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

That would be the Knicks way:
1. Sign aging vets, and pray to squeak into the playoffs before getting bounced from playoffs - check
2. Aging vets breakdown as expected after one more year of wear and tear - check
3. Set the Knicks up for a non-lottery pick - check
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#1848 » by dakomish23 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:29 pm

Reign23 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:My two picks since Hayes won’t be there

23.0 PPG 4.9 RPG 0.9 APG 1.4 SPG 0.9 BPG
51% on 14.6 FGA 52% on 8.2 3PA 83% on 4.5 FTA
66% EFG 69% TS

Nesmith will make some team very happy.

Spoiler:
AARON NESMITH
Wing, Vanderbilt, sophomore
Perimeter Shooting
Hustle

Possesses a flamethrower jump shot; he projects easily as a high-end role player, though he flashes raw ability off the dribble.

SHADES OF: Dale Ellis, Danny Green, taller Buddy Hield

PLUSES

Unlimited range; spaces the floor by demanding a defense’s attention. Skilled shooter off screens who takes tight routes, makes smart reads, and has elite fundamentals from catch to release.
Comfortable shooting 3s off the dribble. He has a nice side step and stepback 3 with clean footwork.
Straight-line driver who is decisive attacking closeouts. With his size and strength, he could develop into a good finisher.
Understands his role and excels within it. He’s a great screener, executes plays, takes smart shots, and keeps the ball moving.
Competitive on-ball defender; with some improved fundamentals and athleticism, he could become far more versatile.
Intelligent defender. Though he’s not a great athlete, his positioning makes him a deterrent at the nail and around the rim.

MINUSES

Struggles finishing at the rim against length and contact. He’s not much of a leaper and is prone to getting his shot blocked or heavily altered.
Shot-creation ability: He lacks shake as a ball handler, burst on drives, and explosiveness in the paint.
Passing vision: He can make basic reads, but he isn’t going to make any advanced plays or deliver the ball with precision.
Man-to-man defense needs work. He’s slow laterally and would struggle against speedy guards. Improving his pliability would help him.

16.6 PPG 6.3 RPG 3.9 APG 1.5 SPG 0.5 BPG
45% on 13.6 FGA 44% on 6.5 3PA 79% on 1.8 FTA
56% EFG 57% TS

Spoiler:
DESMOND BANE
Wing, TCU, senior
Perimeter Shooting
Hustle
Off-Ball Defense

High-IQ guard who plays hard. He already has a veteran skill set and projects favorably as a rotation player.

SHADES OF: Malcolm Brogdon, Alex Caruso, Lamar Patterson

PLUSES

Knockdown shooter who thrives running off screens and using manipulative moves to shake loose from defenders. Despite unorthodox mechanics, he shot 43 percent from 3 and 80 percent from the line in four years at TCU.
Comfortable shooting off the dribble. He won’t be an iso threat in the pros, but can attack a mismatch or pull-up to punish a scrambling defense.
Excels at pick-and-roll decision-making, playing with pace and delivering accurate passes all over the court.
Solid finisher who can use either hand around the rim. He has touch, which is vital since he lacks hops.
Decisive player who reads the floor at a high level. He cuts and relocates well and facilitates effectively and intentionally.
Excellent defensive fundamentals: He sits in his stance and rapidly reacts to cut off drives. With a strong frame and quick hands, he has versatility.

MINUSES

He needs to tighten his handle to create space against athletic defenders. Though he improved in that area at TCU, he still has room to grow.
Lack of burst or a quick first step, plus his short arms, could limit both his at-rim finishing ability and his defensive impact.
Defensive versatility is questionable on paper because of his physical and athletic profile.

but wouldn't you rather have someone who has a jumpshot that "can be fixed" or "may come around" ?

I’m all for betting on potential, but with so many questions marks around so many of these guys, and with all our failures in drafting, I just think finding a non bust would be pretty great. He seems to have the non bust characteristic but what do I know?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,923

Post#1849 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:07 pm

There is no way the Knicks should be offering up draft assets to get CP3 because any of the other suitors for him won't be or don't have anything that good to offer so don't bid against yourself. Besides, the Knicks should be getting draft assets taking on all that salary not giving it up.

CP isn't making them a title contender, sure, he makes them a playoff contender but it would be 2012 all over again with short term middling success on the back of old players isn't a recipe for long term success. Then Melo along with Paul? C'mon man that banana boat has sailed.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#1850 » by Infinitimind » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:12 pm

god shammgod wrote:

I have concerns he might not be there at 8. Cavs, hawks and Detroit Are our bigger threats. I would look into moving up to 6 with either future 2nd round pick or cash consideration if would mean we can get Okoro. The kid could be special
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#1851 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 pm

stuporman wrote:There is no way the Knicks should be offering up draft assets to get CP3 because any of the other suitors for him won't be or don't have anything that good to offer so don't bid against yourself. Besides, the Knicks should be getting draft assets taking on all that salary not giving it up.

CP isn't making them a title contender, sure, he makes them a playoff contender but it would be 2012 all over again with short term middling success on the back of old players isn't a recipe for long term success. Then Melo along with Paul? C'mon man that banana boat has sailed.

The new management seems to be trying the same failed formula for disaster that has doomed former Knicks management.

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,923

Post#1852 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
stuporman wrote:There is no way the Knicks should be offering up draft assets to get CP3 because any of the other suitors for him won't be or don't have anything that good to offer so don't bid against yourself. Besides, the Knicks should be getting draft assets taking on all that salary not giving it up.

The new management seems to be trying the same failed formula for disaster that has doomed former Knicks management.

We'll see how it goes, it's all rumors right now and who knows how it will end up.

Maybe the Knicks get CP and draft assets because Rose is slick like that.
Maybe Melo gets vetmin, is a stretch 4 that doesn't overdribble so actually balls out.
Maybe the FO make the right picks and get some great youth.
Maybe they rent some cap space for more draft assets and get useful vet(s).
Maybe Thibs gets them playing better than any of us could have hoped.
Maybe the coaching staff finally gets the development from the stagnating youth.
Maybe next year creates an environment that is attractive to elite FAs
Maybe all my maybes are delusional and I need to stfu
Maybe....
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,551

Post#1853 » by Gravy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:36 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

Tre Jones
Frank
RJ
Okoro
Mitch

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

This board really wants us to lose every game by 30 and expects everyone in nyc and media would be ok with that.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1854 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Gravy wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

Tre Jones
Frank
RJ
Okoro
Mitch

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

This board really wants us to lose every game by 30 and expects everyone in nyc and media would be ok with that.

We’ve been doing that for years now, decades even, so it wouldn’t be anything new
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#1855 » by Fat » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:47 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:
8516knicks wrote:

Tre Jones
Frank
RJ
Okoro
Mitch

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

1. Sign aging vets, and pray to squeak into the playoffs before getting bounced from playoffs - check
2. Aging vets breakdown as expected after one more year of wear and tear - check

-1-2 year contracts of bench players chasing the check
-new coach every year
-5 years in the lottery nothing to show for it.
-Best attraction is a better version of javale mcgee
-Failure to sign a big name year after year
CHECK

Thats the plan? no thanks

With chris paul the knicks at least gain a respected leader on the floor and get a taste of what its like to compete, and play a decent brand of basketball. You think players want to blatantly keep losing while the organization shows no effort to try and get better? that does more damage than it does good. if you can get a chris paul without over paying i dont see the harm in it. Even if we drafted a kira lewis or whatever id still want CP3 here as a mentor/leader.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,551

Post#1856 » by Gravy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:20 pm

robillionaire wrote:
Gravy wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

We’ve been doing that for years now, decades even, so it wouldn’t be anything new

I'm just saying, this obsession with an all defensive team of scrubs is not happening, someone has to be able to score more than 10 points :lol:
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#1857 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

-new coach every year
CHECK

With chris paul the knicks at least gain a respected leader on the floor and get a taste of what its like to compete, and play a decent brand of basketball. You think players want to blatantly keep losing while the organization shows no effort to try and get better? that does more damage than it does good. if you can get a chris paul without over paying i dont see the harm in it. Even if we drafted a kira lewis or whatever id still want CP3 here as a mentor/leader.

If you want to chase wins let’s just trade for Westbrook then, cp3 is too old to drag these kids anywhere and we don’t even have near the support he had in the fluke season in okc
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 11,004

Post#1858 » by Reign23 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

-new coach every year
CHECK

this
formerly known as knickst4pe
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1859 » by Oscirus » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:56 pm

was that paul wedding toast about 2020? :O

Seriously though, if his name wasnt ball, hed be a fringe lottery pick at best, but since hes not the scrub everybody was expected he gets overrated in the media
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,658

Post#1860 » by DaGawd » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:04 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

CP3
BArret
Okoro
Carmelo
Mitchell

-new coach every year
CHECK

Facts. It’s time for the Knicks to start trying to put a decent squad on the floor. Wishing and praying on the lottery is a fallacy. Many contenders in the league best players were drafted outside of the top 3. Some don’t even have a single lottery pick.. we just have to be comfortable in our scouting/coaching staff taking the best available talents and having a plan in place for them to grow into possible studs in whatever role we ask of them
BaF
Washington Wizards

Return to New York Knicks