David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Re: David West: Bosh, Bargnani 'would blow this NBA out of the water 

Post#81 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:16 am

Bargnani, the guy who didn't like to play basketball and only shot better than league avg from 3 3 times in his career would kill it in this era? Somehow I don't buy that.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,492

Post#82 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 am

It honestly cracks me up when players who retired only a few years ago play the "NBA was way tougher in my time" card.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#83 » by TheNewEra » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:50 pm

Isn’t this quote meant for them as a tandem so why is everyone judging them individually? I think the Bosh/Bargs combo would be a playoff team at least
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,856

Post#84 » by Anti Chalmers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Bosh would do well in any era. Bargnani probably does a lot better in today’s game. But I just think he had no interest in putting in the work.
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#85 » by draftnightsuit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:38 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Top those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could he have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Brook Lopez was 2nd in the league in blocks per game. He actually brings defense and intangibles, while Bargnani played no defense whatsoever. How would Bargnani be able to play Lopez’s style?

Bargnani wouldn’t even be a good role player today, let alone blowing the league out the water.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,457

Post#86 » by GoBobs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:29 pm

It is a fact that the league has gotten less physical because of flopping and there is more flopping today than ever.

Bosh looked like a top 5 player around the time he left the raptors and joined the heat. He was great in the era he played.

Bargnani was a tall guy who didn't do any tall guy things like rebound or defend the rim. Big guys are still allowed to play physical down low for the most part so that wouldn't be that different. He would be better with the dribble drive if he knew how to flop effectively every time he got bumped.
TORW
Sophomore
And1: 86

Post#87 » by TORW » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:00 pm

How Masai Ujiri was able to get the Knicks to give us a 1st round pick along with 2 second rounders for Bargnani is still hilarious to this day. It was Masai's first move after coming to the Raptors too, what a way to start lol.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Post#88 » by OdomFan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Lol I don't know about blowing the league out the water, but come on. I think even Bargnani could be atleast decent in this era depending on who's coaching him. Have him just taking jump shots majority of the time he's on the court when they're on offense, and contesting shots as well as he possibly can on defense. he was tall enough after all.

With that said, Bosh would absolutely be great in this era. Imagine if he were leading this modern Raptors team. I'm not going to guarantee a championship, but they'd have a really good chance, and if you have him and Leonard together 2 years ago? My goodness that sounds amazing on paper.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#89 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:29 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Isn’t this quote meant for them as a tandem so why is everyone judging them individually? I think the Bosh/Bargs combo would be a playoff team at least

I mean... they were a playoff team together twice which didn't amount to much. They're being judged individually because bargnani wasn't very good and couldn't stay healthy. Bosh would kill it today.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#90 » by VanWest82 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:45 pm

I hated watching Bargs - easily the most frustrating Raptor ever outside of the year when Vince stopped trying.

That said, it's refreshing to hear West say this. Bargs would've been a much better player in this era. A big part of the reason why he got injured so much and lost his love of the game was because the NBA was so physical. West is right. They beat him up, and then he stopped giving a ****.

No one is saying he would've magically been good defensively but he'd probably have been better than what we saw getting to play at his natural playing weight. The lockout year was the last time Bargs gave a crap and he was pretty good until Casey decided to play him 40 mpg for five games in six nights and he badly tore his calf. That's the kind of stuff that'd never fly today. Back then you had to do it otherwise you weren't tuff.
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#91 » by draftnightsuit » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:08 pm

Some more Bargnani highlight:

Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,863

Post#92 » by Tacoma » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm

OdomFan wrote:Lol I don't know about blowing the league out the water, but come on. I think even Bargnani could be atleast decent in this era depending on who's coaching him. Have him just taking jump shots majority of the time he's on the court when they're on offense, and contesting shots as well as he possibly can on defense. he was tall enough after all.

That's what James Dolan thought when he traded a 1st round pick for him:

CONTESTING SHOTS

JUMP SHOTS

No, being tall enough just won't do it for Bargnani. Multiple coaches, same result. He would be the same in any era.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#93 » by pootbrah » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:He's not wrong. There's probably a lot of guys who were known as soft yesteryear that would feast in today's NBA

Yeah, just imagine this beast playing in today’s NBA:

thats probably a foul in todays NBA....

West is on point. Ya'll so entitled to stay ripping on a player though.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#94 » by Toxicity » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:04 pm

Don't want to justify Bargs (who lacks first of all DESIRE and Work Ethic) but it's true he was a SF back then in Italy... he was a 6-8 SF as 18 yo. At 20, when he grew few inches (and was close to 6-11) he was used on both SF and PF spots and played there at highest level for Benetton Treviso (Euroleague and 1st Italian Division). Then he went to the NBA...

Raptors probably made a bad choice to force him to gain mass and play center... :crazy:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,970

Post#95 » by Capn'O » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:21 pm

I mean, Bosh was pretty damn good.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#96 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:30 pm

HollowEarth wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:To those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could he have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

"I do more complicated things than defense and rebound" - Andrea Bargnani

That's pretty funny

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#97 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:34 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:To those questioning Bargnani's rebounding and defense. Could he have not played in the style that Brook Lopez does today?

Brook Lopez was 2nd in the league in blocks per game. He actually brings defense and intangibles, while Bargnani played no defense whatsoever. How would Bargnani be able to play Lopez’s style?

Bargnani wouldn’t even be a good role player today, let alone blowing the league out the water.

Brook Lopez might've been a stretch. Bargnani I believe could be more productive offensively in the same role, more consistent too at the 3pt line.

Heat4lyf
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#98 » by Heat4lyf » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:48 am

KAT isn't blowing up the league so?
draftnightsuit
Analyst

Post#99 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:29 pm

pootbrah wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:He's not wrong. There's probably a lot of guys who were known as soft yesteryear that would feast in today's NBA

Yeah, just imagine this beast playing in today’s NBA:

thats probably a foul in todays NBA....

West is on point. Ya'll so entitled to stay ripping on a player though.

That play happened in 2014. That is today’s NBA.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#100 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:53 pm

Heat4lyf wrote:KAT isn't blowing up the league so?

The gulf between KAT and bargs was pretty massive. I remember back in the day how the defense would go from pretty good (with Amir Johnson on the court) to worst of all time when we subbed in bargs. Of course bargs was still considered a star, and Amir a role player for their respective skills/talents.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot

Return to The General Board