Re: Daryl Morey Takes Out Full-Page Ad In Houston Chronicle: 'James Harden Changed My Life'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Daryl Morey Takes Out Full-Page Ad In Houston Chronicle: 'James Harden Changed My Life' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:28 pm

Daryl Morey took out a full-page ad in the Houston Chronicle to reflect upon his 13 years with the Houston Rockets organization.

Morey emphasized the importance of James Harden during his run as general manager, writing that "James Harden changed my life."

"An entire page could be dedicated just to James. He not only transformed my life but also revolutionized the game of basketball -- and continues to do so -- like almost no one has before.

"The game is played differently because of James, and on every playground in the world, the next generation of talent is studying and imitating his game," wrote Morey.

Morey also reflected upon working with other stars he brought to the organization.

"I loved working together on how to get his incredible Hall of Fame teammates Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook to the Rockets. I will be rooting for James to win a championship in Houston. It's how this story should end."

Rafael Stone replaced Morey as the Rockets general manager. 

Via ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Daryl Morey Takes Out Full-Page Ad In Houston Chronicle: 'James Harden Changed My Life' 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Interesting.

I guess that makes sense that he would feel that way.

I don't think it's true though. The refs changed the way the game is played. When you can't defend, naturally it becomes a shooter's league. The game fell into Harden's hands rather than the other way around. Harden wouldn't have been anywhere near as good in a league that is reffed differently.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#4 » by jozef » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:12 pm

They should keep Capella and stay away from Westbrook.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#5 » by BigHustle » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Very Classy. Nice move my DM. Hope you end up somewhere than can take advantage of your talents.

Only guy in the NBA to stand up for human rights in Asia .
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Post#6 » by rzzzzz » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:42 pm

well, wherever Morey ends up could theoretically be an attractive destination for JH. not an easy negotiation to make that happen. it would take somebody as sharp as...DM?
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#7 » by jamesnamida » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:19 pm

Lol the only time I hear James harden is when someone keeps self calling fouls on the playground.
Kids are still mimicking curry out there and still have been since 2015. He's the most popular player I hear from college down. Then it's Kobe or Jordan whenever someone takes a tough midrange

I get he needs to say it but damn he's sounding like china state tv
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#8 » by objectivefan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:51 pm

this sounds like a goodbye as he boards a craft headed to work in the Chinese Basketball Association to be "reconditioned and re-educated"
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#9 » by Axl Rose » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 pm

the next generation of talent is studying and imitating his game

God i hope not.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 850

Post#10 » by DevinVassell » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:20 am

"Fight For Freedom. Stand With Hong Kong."

This makes Morey a champion in my book.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#11 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:23 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Interesting.

I don't think it's true though. The refs changed the way the game is played. When you can't defend, naturally it becomes a shooter's league. The game fell into Harden's hands rather than the other way around. Harden wouldn't have been anywhere near as good in a league that is reffed differently.

Sounded a bit like a man expecting to get a role again on a different team and wants Harden to think of him in good terms in case he could make a move for him on a new team. Could be wrong and this was just a classy thing to do and bore his honestly.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:13 am

Daryl Morey looks at James Harden the way that James Harden looks at the champagne room.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#13 » by hyberx » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:45 am

"He not only transformed my life but also revolutionized the game of basketball -- and continues to do so -- like almost no one has before."

So true. Harden has the highest FPS in the history of basketball, right ahead of LeBron. A true legend.

Flop Per Second, yup.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#14 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:28 am

Jedzz wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:Interesting.

Sounded a bit like a man expecting to get a role again on a different team and wants Harden to think of him in good terms in case he could make a move for him on a new team. Could be wrong and this was just a classy thing to do and bore his honestly.

Maybe.

I was looking at it more like he sounds very sentimental about his own achievements, which is understandable because if it his life. While most of us just go to bed and think Harden is OK, Daryl was living and breathing Harden every night.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#15 » by Scalabrine » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:22 pm

BigHustle wrote:Very Classy. Nice move my DM. Hope you end up somewhere than can take advantage of your talents.

I wouldn't say a tweeting 2 words is necessarily "standing up for human rights in Asia". What other actions did he take? It seems like he pretty much got the muzzle put on him after losing the NBA a huge amount of money and didn't do much else...
Go Knicks!
nocomingnogoing
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#16 » by nocomingnogoing » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:23 pm

It seems very likely that there was an agreement in the wake of the china tweet that morrey would step down a year from when the tweet occurred. That would explain morrey leaving and still getting paid even through it was “100%” his decision. And it would explain china starting to air nba games again. If this is true the nba certainly bent to the will of china ... whether that’s good or bad i don’t know but i feel like all the talking head’s would bring this up and are all kind’ve in don’t ask don’t tell mode.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#17 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:06 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
BigHustle wrote:Very Classy. Nice move my DM. Hope you end up somewhere than can take advantage of your talents.

I wouldn't say a tweeting 2 words is necessarily "standing up for human rights in Asia". What other actions did he take? It seems like he pretty much got the muzzle put on him after losing the NBA a huge amount of money and didn't do much else...

I strongly disagree. LeBron was too scared of losing any money to comment on it.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#18 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:26 pm

jamesnamida wrote:Lol the only time I hear James harden is when someone keeps self calling fouls on the playground.
Kids are still mimicking curry out there and still have been since 2015. He's the most popular player I hear from college down. Then it's Kobe or Jordan whenever someone takes a tough midrange

I get he needs to say it but damn he's sounding like china state tv

100% right.

Harden did change the game, but kids only call "Harden" sarcastically on the playground.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#19 » by Scalabrine » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

I strongly disagree. LeBron was too scared of losing any money to comment on it.

:lol:
How does this have anything to do with LeBron???

What impact did that tweet have to make any positive impact on the situation in China?
Go Knicks!

Return to Wiretap Discussion