ImageImageImageImageImage

Number 1 Need

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Number 1 Need 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 am

What is the number 1 need for the Clips?

They have 10 guys locked in for 2021.

Beverly
Pg13/Lou Will/Shamet
Kawhi/Mcgruder/Coffey
Mifondu
Zubac/Noah

They need a playmaking point guard. Someone who can run offense and get the team easier shots. They lost game 7 because everyone went hero ball and started chucking bad shots all over the court.

If I were the Clips, I would offer the mid level $8-9 million to Rondo. 2 year 16 million deal. Hopefully get Green back who can shoot and defend the 4.

I would pass on Morris and maybe resign Harrel.

Rondo
Pg13
Kawhi
Green
Zubac

Pat
Lou
Shamet/Coffey
Harrel
Mifondu/Noah
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Re: Number 1 Need 

Post#2 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#3 » by TheNewEra » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 pm

After coaching and now having a system I guess point guard play. 1B would be getting a true backup big that can defend and rebound
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#4 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:36 pm

number 1 need get rid of lou/harrell/beverley
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#5 » by playaloc916 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 pm

Harrell needs to go. Sign and trade, or just let him walk. It's pretty clear the relationship has soured (even between him and his BFF Lou Will). The locker room has big issues, and I think Trezz is probably at the centre of it. Lou, I don't really care if we keep him or trade him. He had a terrible playoffs, but I still think he could be a useful player.

A playmaking/pass first guard would also be great, because I'm not sold on Lue's offense just yet. But I'm not sure if there are any good ones available. If that's not an option, I really hope Lue with invest some minutes into Mann or Coffey. These guys are eventually going to have to play. Mann reminds me a bit of a young Eric Bledsoe, not so much of a playmaker, but more of an all-rounder, while Coffey I think is more of the playmaker. He had some great drive and kickouts in the last few games of the bubble. I like his speed and length as well. Reminds me of a young Livingston (when he was still unpolished and raw).
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:25 pm

not even remotely sure how he could be acquired but it feels like ricky rubio would do wonders for this team.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#7 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:50 pm

playaloc916 wrote:Harrell needs to go. Sign and trade, or just let him walk. It's pretty clear the relationship has soured (even between him and his BFF Lou Will). The locker room has big issues, and I think Trezz is probably at the centre of it. Lou, I don't really care if we keep him or trade him. He had a terrible playoffs, but I still think he could be a useful player.

A playmaking/pass first guard would also be great, because I'm not sold on Lue's offense just yet. But I'm not sure if there are any good ones available. If that's not an option, I really hope Lue with invest some minutes into Mann or Coffey. These guys are eventually going to have to play. Mann reminds me a bit of a young Eric Bledsoe, not so much of a playmaker, but more of an all-rounder, while Coffey I think is more of the playmaker. He had some great drive and kickouts in the last few games of the bubble. I like his speed and length as well. Reminds me of a young Livingston (when he was still unpolished and raw).

I’m a Gopher alum and seen two years of Coffey. He really has some skill and game. I hope he becomes a part of the rotation next season.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#8 » by SK21209 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:25 pm

No other roster move matters if PG doesn't play like a legit top 10-15 player for this team, both in the regular season every night and obviously in the playoffs.

Other than that, I'd prioritize our needs as follow:

1. Capable point guard
2. Capable non-Harrell backup to Zubac
3. Wing depth

The lack of available options at point guard this season has been heavily discussed. Guys like CP3 and Rubio are the obvious fixes, but I think both are pretty unrealistic (CP3 is a complete pipe dream IMO). The thing is, Beverly is a pretty decent point guard for this team when he actually plays; the problem is that he's always hurt or in foul trouble. We just need a guy to play 20-25ish minutes a game. Two lower-profile guys I have my eye on are Tyus Jones and Tomas Satoransky. I don't know if either is really available in a trade, but I think that's the type of move that's "realistic" and effective.

For (2), I'm probably just letting Harrell walk. I'm not confident there will be great sign and trade options. With the "rumors" about the Raptors having interest, my dream move is trading Harrell for Ibaka. Ibaka would be an awesome stretch 5 to play behind Zubac who can play crunch-time minutes when needed.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#9 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 pm

perhaps our number one need might be to find a true leader who can light paul george on fire when it's necessary.

but if ty lue can do that to lebron james in a game 7, i'm pretty sure he can handle a paul george.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#10 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:50 pm

SK21209 wrote:No other roster move matters if PG doesn't play like a legit top 10-15 player for this team, both in the regular season every night and obviously in the playoffs.

1. Capable point guard
3. Wing depth

The lack of available options at point guard this season has been heavily discussed. Guys like CP3 and Rubio are the obvious fixes, but I think both are pretty unrealistic (CP3 is a complete pipe dream IMO). The thing is, Beverly is a pretty decent point guard for this team when he actually plays; the problem is that he's always hurt or in foul trouble. We just need a guy to play 20-25ish minutes a game. Two lower-profile guys I have my eye on are Tyus Jones and Tomas Satoransky. I don't know if either is really available in a trade, but I think that's the type of move that's "realistic" and effective.

For (2), I'm probably just letting Harrell walk. I'm not confident there will be great sign and trade options. With the "rumors" about the Raptors having interest, my dream move is trading Harrell for Ibaka. Ibaka would be an awesome stretch 5 to play behind Zubac who can play crunch-time minutes when needed.

Serge would be great but I think Toronto brings him back as Marc Gasol is going to Barcelona
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,796

Post#11 » by SK21209 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:18 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:No other roster move matters if PG doesn't play like a legit top 10-15 player for this team, both in the regular season every night and obviously in the playoffs.

1. Capable point guard
3. Wing depth

Serge would be great but I think Toronto brings him back as Marc Gasol is going to Barcelona

That's probably true, unfortunately. Although they do have Boucher whom I think will get a lot more minutes next year.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#12 » by nickhx2 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:09 pm

serge the dream
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#13 » by TheNewEra » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 pm

Moving Beverly would be tough because then we would need a starting and backup PG
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#14 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:03 am

i mean he was either hurt or on the bench cause of dumb fouls all of the playoffs so that was the case regardless lol
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#15 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:11 am

Pat bev would be a solid back up Pg playing 20 mins a night. Even though he is a bit expensive at 13 million a season but not too bad.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#16 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:11 am

the big picture really is just that we need reliability.

from the coaches
from the offense and defense
from the role players

give that to kawhi/pg and we would have easily reached the WCF. but that didn't happen so now we are in a search to find it, and a lot of it.

and if that means dumping off pb for someone who is not as ferocious but far more stable, yeah sign me up. the team needs guys who aren't gonna screw with the program.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#17 » by nickhx2 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:26 am

i don't hate beverley as a backup, but again it's really about whether he's gonna be chirping both in game and in the locker room about his role or how the team treats kawhi.

the guys around him cannot be dense and ignorant when it comes to how the team is going to handle him in the RS. it's poisonous and the kind of thing that can ruin an entire season.

i don't really expect him to take a bench role lying down but who really knows. aside from that, i'd consider him one of our better assets, and if the team wants to retool properly, we gotta get give value to get value.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 am

welcome to our board Mr Unfadeable
always trust content from TVD :wink:

Re: Worst Case Scenario
Post#5 » by esqtvd » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:38 pm

esqtvd wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:This is a good game theory type of question.

Given your scenario, my answer is still no to blowing it up. The downside of trading all assets would be less since there's no risk of losing 2 best players to free agency, but IMO the overall odds/ROI/whatever still favor trying to maximize a Kawhi/PG led team and hope to re-sign them after next year.

Catch-22. If you don't blow it up, you return the same flawed and clueless roster that choked when the chips were down and then quit like dogs....and you lose Kawhi and PG.

If you blow it up, you're probably not going to gel as a contender and you lose them anyway.

I think the question at the moment isn't who to add but who to subtract. Not only do Trezz and Senior want a LOT of dough but do you really want them at all? Lou and Bev are signed but do you want them either? Or do you do the same thing as last year and hope that Ty will magically deliver better results from the same horses?

I'd say some combination of those four--or all 4--need to be dumped, even if only as change for the sake of change.

LATE ADD [cruel but fair]:

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#19 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:26 am

Thanks bro for the welcome.

Let me share some Paywall articles for us clipper fans

Clippers offseason to do list - The Athletic

Next season, the Clippers have $114,044,403 in guaranteed salary, unless JaMychal Green declines his player option to drop that figure to $109,039,053 (essentially at the projected 2020-21 salary-cap line). Either way, they won’t have cap space and likely lack the trade assets to significantly improve the roster.

Here’s a look at their tentative 2020-21 cap sheet, without factoring in free-agent cap holds or empty roster charges (roughly $1.8 million for two roster spots if they renounce the rights of their free agents).

The Clippers’ first order of business will be appraising their own free agents: Marcus Morris Sr., Montrezl Harrell, Green (player option), Reggie Jackson and Patrick Patterson.

Once those decisions are settled, they can pursue upgrades with their then-available exceptions — either their taxpayer midlevel exception (projected around $5.7 million annually) or the non-taxpayer midlevel exception (projected around $9.3 million annually) — or on the trade market (including sign-and-trades with their free agents).

With that said, let’s bounce around some of the matters the Clippers need to address this offseason.

Addressing roster deficiencies

Under the assumption that Green exercises his player option and is a Clipper next season — a 50/50 proposition, to be sure — here is what the team’s depth chart would look like before re-signing their own free agents or adding new pieces, including the No. 57 draft pick.

Center: Ivica Zubac, Mfiondu Kabengele
Power forward: JaMychal Green
Small forward: Kawhi Leonard, Rodney McGruder
Shooting guard: Paul George, Lou Williams, Landry Shamet
Point guard: Patrick Beverley, Terance Mann
When evaluating the Clippers’ strengths and weaknesses from this season, plus their players under contract for next season, three needs stand out:

1. Another playmaking point guard or lead ballhandler. This can be a starter or a backup.

2. A defensive-minded backup center who can protect the rim, clean the glass and then is either a good rim-runner or a popping big on the offensive end. This can be a Harrell replacement or an alternative option for bigger matchups.

3. Another 3-and-D wing to complement Leonard, George and Morris. Most likely a bench-level player unless Morris departs in free agency.

In their best-case scenario for the offseason, the Clippers add Dragic, Ibaka or Crowder with their non-taxpayer midlevel exception — if it’s available. Those are the best options for each of their needs (and probably in that order). With Miami trying to maintain its cap space for the 2021 offseason, it’s possible the Clippers could lure Dragic or Crowder with a multiyear MLE offer. Toronto’s unknown future path suggests Ibaka or Gasol could be available.

As for other realistic free-agent targets, here are some names that make sense in the Clippers’ spending range: Aron Baynes, Nerlens Noel, Tristan Thompson, Jakob Poeltl (restricted), Harry Giles, Dwight Howard, Wesley Matthews (player option), Willie Cauley-Stein (player option), Derrick Jones Jr., D.J. Augustin, Pat Connaughton, Glenn Robinson III, Kris Dunn (restricted), Markieff Morris, Justin Holiday, James Ennis (player option), Trey Burke and Shabazz Napier.

Those names aren’t exactly exciting, but there is value within that group. Other more expensive options to consider, aside from the aforementioned Dragic, Ibaka and Crowder: Bogdan Bogdanovic (restricted), Wood, Jerami Grant (player option), Derrick Favors and Gasol.

Dragic would seem to be the clear priority, if he’s available. The Clippers should be able to find a decent, relatively cheap backup big if they chose to move on from Harrell — or even if they keep him. There are multiple rotation-level 3-and-D wings as well (though all are a downgrade from Morris). If they strike out on Dragic, though, the point guard drop-off is steep. There just isn’t much playmaking available this offseason.

The Clippers could also explore the trade market. They’ll likely be attached to names like Kyle Lowry, Jrue Holiday and Ricky Rubio, three players who would certainly solve some of the team’s issues on both ends. But the Clippers don’t have the assets to offer those teams much unless they can rope in a third team or include George — a move in which there is no indication they are willing to do yet.

More likely than not, the Clippers will end up with a couple of players from the above list. It’s just unclear if it’ll be anyone that actually moves the needle.

TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#20 » by TheNewEra » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:03 pm

Harry Giles seems like a really good backup fit

Return to Los Angeles Clippers