ImageImageImageImageImage

Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Re: Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights 

Post#81 » by jimmy keys » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 am

raptorstime wrote:Glad he isn't our problem anymore.

yeah I'd much have Fred Van Vleet thinking he's the superstar :roll:.
RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Re: Report: Some Clippers 'Bristled' at Kawhi Missing Games, Being Late for Flights 

Post#82 » by RaptorPride » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:57 am

Spoiler:

G.A. Clone
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,062

Post#83 » by G.A. Clone » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:51 am

720 wrote:I don’t find any kind of satisfaction from this. At the end of the day we lost Kawhi, and given how well we played without him it’s a shame that he potentially left a dynasty here in Toronto.

Side note, He lived in San Diego while playing in LA? Lol wtf.

When Kobe passed away, I believe there was info that mentioned Kawhi and Kobe used the same helicopter pilot. Think Kawhi mentioned sometimes the pilot would drop him off, then said he'd be picking up Kobe afterwards (or vice versa).
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,187

Post#84 » by Childs » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 am

ash_k wrote:
beanbag wrote:
ash_k wrote:I didnt know that thing about FVV and Kawhi! It makes me love FVV even more! time to pass the torch to make him the General of the team. (by trading Kyle).
Sitting now, playoffs done, I m still happy than he left after winning us the championship. I did not want to have to deal with LOAD-MANAGEMENT ever again.. DeMar was not the greatest, but he never missed a game.

And you take Kawhi and his missing games over Derozan and his not missing games every day of the week, right?

Now that I have that ring and LOB. Well, not that easy to answer. Load-management is just not acceptable.

The answer is easy and the answer is yes.
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#85 » by agentzero2010 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:25 am

Winning is the best deodorant. When you lose, all the stink just oozes out.

PG stunk it up and blamed mental health problems for his poor shooting. DeMar was notorious for playoff bricks and excuses his poor playoff performances on mental health. Kevin love, another mental health advocate, is also notorious for coming up small in big moments. I’m sure mental health plays a factor, but when you win, it’s hardly ever mentioned.

Kawhi’s load management and health maintenance is the same.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,691

Post#86 » by Clay Davis » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:34 am

agentzero2010 wrote:Winning is the best deodorant. When you lose, all the stink just oozes out.

PG stunk it up and blamed mental health problems for his poor shooting. DeMar was notorious for playoff bricks and excuses his poor playoff performances on mental health. Kevin love, another mental health advocate, is also notorious for coming up small in big moments. I’m sure mental health plays a factor, but when you win, it’s hardly ever mentioned.

Kawhi’s load management and health maintenance is the same.

What big moments did Kevin Love shrink in? He played about as well as his game would let him in 2016
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#87 » by beanbag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:12 am

Childs wrote:
ash_k wrote:
beanbag wrote:
And you take Kawhi and his missing games over Derozan and his not missing games every day of the week, right?

Now that I have that ring and LOB. Well, not that easy to answer. Load-management is just not acceptable.

I don't know, Derozan almost won the dunk contest that one year. Kawhi doesn't even have a dunk contest appearance under his belt. It's a tough call tbh.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#88 » by mdenny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:55 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
mdenny wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:
It's actually very normal, especially as people get older.

It wasn't normal in any way.

I don't think it's ever happened in the modern era of pro sports. The MVP of a championship team leaves in free agency? Name another one.

It was unprecedented. Nothing normal about it at all.

Huh? I said it’s normal for a grown ass man to want to live in his hometown.

Ok I'll rephrase. What other grown man wanted to go back to his hometown after winning the MVP for a championship team in the nba, nfl, mlb, or nhl?

It's literally never happened before. Not trying to be snarky....but that's the proper framing. Not "well ppl like to live in their hometown".
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,542

Post#89 » by mdenny » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:30 am

jimmy keys wrote:
sprewellchokes wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
Fred has a huge ego bud. You're just figuring this out?
I love that about him. I’m still in shock that our former d league guy showed the two time mvp.Absolutely no respect on both evens in the finals.

I don't. It's immature. He thinks he's better than he actually is, which bothers me. He needed to understand there's a pecking order. What was he complaining about playing more? I would've told him to stfu.

Respectfully disagree. I think it's indicative of how real and down-to-earth Fred is.

If u watch the kyle/kawai post chip interview....it seems clear to me that Kyle is almost shocked Kawai brought it up. He looks like he doesn't know where it's going. And there were rumors that Kyle started resisting practices and pointing to Kawai when challenged on it.

So 1: I highly doubt Fred was the only one annoyed by Kawai (lots of spurs, lots of clippers were annoyed....seems strange only Fred would be here)

2: Even if Fred was alone on this...sounds like something I'd respect in general anyway.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#90 » by ash_k » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:08 pm

Childs wrote:
ash_k wrote:
beanbag wrote:

From a fan perspective, It can be an easy yes, I guess. But obviously now we know that it "fragilizes" a team (Spurs, even Raps and now the Clippers) Basically, you better win the all thing or else!
So we got away it. Your best player cannot be missing 20+games per year. LeBron made that point about "availability" right after game 6. (it almost felt like it was a dart at Kawhi)
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#91 » by beanbag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:15 pm

ash_k wrote:
Childs wrote:
ash_k wrote:Now that I have that ring and LOB. Well, not that easy to answer. Load-management is just not acceptable.

From a fan perspective, It can be an easy yes, I guess. But obviously now we know that it "fragilizes" a team (Spurs, even Raps and now the Clippers) Basically, you better win the all thing or else!
So we got away it. Your best player cannot be missing 20+games per year. LeBron made that point about "availability" right after game 6. (it almost felt like it was a dart at Kawhi)

Lol, or else what?

You think every basketball team that's won a championship likes each other? Kawhi has won a title with two of the three teams he's played for and he's only been with the third team for one season.....but you are seriously making the argument for Derozan.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#92 » by ash_k » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:32 pm

beanbag wrote:
ash_k wrote:
Childs wrote:The answer is easy and the answer is yes.

Lol, or else what?

You think every basketball team that's won a championship likes each other? Kawhi has won a title with two of the three teams he's played for and he's only been with the third team for one season.....but you are seriously making the argument for Derozan.

or else it damages the team (like it (has) damaged both the Spurs and Clippers), Winning will always be that deodorant, but team had issues with that. We got away with it (miracle shot&seconds from being down 3-0). We have a ring. We have the "heart of Champion" now. I don't ever want to deal with load-management again like LeBron basically said "availability matters!".
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
beanbag
Analyst

Post#93 » by beanbag » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:39 pm

ash_k wrote:
beanbag wrote:
ash_k wrote:From a fan perspective, It can be an easy yes, I guess. But obviously now we know that it "fragilizes" a team (Spurs, even Raps and now the Clippers) Basically, you better win the all thing or else!

Lol, or else what?

or else it damages the team (like it (has) damaged both the Spurs and Clippers), Winning will always be that deodorant, but team had issues with that. We got away with it (miracle shot&seconds from being down 3-0). We have a ring. We have the "heart of Champion" now. I don't ever want to deal with load-management again like LeBron basically said "availability matters!".

You know what, I think you're right!

It's more important to show up to every game and be friends with everyone than win.

That Old Spice of a championship can't cleanse what is rotten in your heart!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#94 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm

G.A. Clone wrote:
720 wrote:I don’t find any kind of satisfaction from this. At the end of the day we lost Kawhi, and given how well we played without him it’s a shame that he potentially left a dynasty here in Toronto.

When Kobe passed away, I believe there was info that mentioned Kawhi and Kobe used the same helicopter pilot. Think Kawhi mentioned sometimes the pilot would drop him off, then said he'd be picking up Kobe afterwards (or vice versa).

I though that might be the case too. I had to wonder after Kobe passed how much that helicopter ride would seem like a good idea anymore.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,643

Post#95 » by Johnny Bball » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:58 pm

G.A. Clone wrote:

I though that might be the case too. I had to wonder after Kobe passed how much that helicopter ride would seem like a good idea anymore.

He does have a condo across from Staples though.
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,559

Post#96 » by Mak » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Clippers took 2 games from the Warriors and thought they were the champions. Montrell , Lou and Beverley acted all year like they were going for their 4th championship.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,659

Post#97 » by Jadoogar » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:51 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Dude really just wanted to be home. No way we had any real chance of retaining him.

Kind of strange for a grown ass man to want to live in his hometown that badly lol. I've lived most of my life in Toronto but would gladly move somewhere if it meant advancing my career, especially if I only had to live there half the year. So it's strange to me why you wouldn't play on the team that gave you the best chance to win, regardless if it wasn't near San Diego.

This is the first time in his career he got to choose where to play.
a. he probably felt the Clippers were his best chance to win. Everyone had the clippers as one of the favourites at the start of the season.
b. different people value different things. Kawhi has already won 2 championships, he has no more pressure to win titles.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by jimmy keys » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:28 pm

mdenny wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:
sprewellchokes wrote: I love that about him. I’m still in shock that our former d league guy showed the two time mvp.Absolutely no respect on both evens in the finals.

I don't. It's immature. He thinks he's better than he actually is, which bothers me. He needed to understand there's a pecking order. What was he complaining about playing more? I would've told him to stfu.

Respectfully disagree. I think it's indicative of how real and down-to-earth Fred is.

If u watch the kyle/kawai post chip interview....it seems clear to me that Kyle is almost shocked Kawai brought it up. He looks like he doesn't know where it's going. And there were rumors that Kyle started resisting practices and pointing to Kawai when challenged on it.

So 1: I highly doubt Fred was the only one annoyed by Kawai (lots of spurs, lots of clippers were annoyed....seems strange only Fred would be here)

2: Even if Fred was alone on this...sounds like something I'd respect in general anyway.

It all depends on how everyone involved handled it. They won it all, so obviously they figured it out amongst themselves. You're right criticism is fine if approached the right way. I will also admit that Kawhi could've been more transparent with his teammates about his schedule and what games he would take off in advance. Transparency is the key to communication. Then everyone is on the same page.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#99 » by Mikistan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:32 pm

jimmy keys wrote:

That's finals MVP candidate and vote-getter Fred Van Vleet to you.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by jimmy keys » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:38 pm

Mikistan wrote:
jimmy keys wrote:

That's finals MVP candidate and vote-getter Fred Van Vleet to you.

That one vote went straight to his head :lol:. Seriously though FVV & Siakam owe a lot to Kawhi and the championship run. No way they get the contracts they have/will sign without that chip. If they got knocked out in round 2 in 2019 is Van Vleet signing a Brogdon like deal? No chance. Same with Siakam the chip directly lead to a max deal. No way he gets offered a max a year in advance without that run.

Return to Toronto Raptors