ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2081 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:47 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I agree we should definitely be targeting Ibaka.

There are very few teams with cap space and they all suck.

KD is close with Ibaka. Maybe he can get him to sign here for the full MLE if we can get it.

this is the last big deal ibaka will ever get. he is 1 contract away from ring chasing. someone will give him 3-4 years at 15-20 million
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#2082 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 am

Prokorov wrote:

KD is close with Ibaka. Maybe he can get him to sign here for the full MLE if we can get it.

this is the last big deal ibaka will ever get. he is 1 contract away from ring chasing. someone will give him 3-4 years at 15-20 million

Are we sure Ibaka wants to sign with the Hawks or Pistons?

He coudl always re-up for this year and get a contract next off season.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#2083 » by ProspectPark » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:56 am

Did we just become the New York Knicks or something?

We just signed Prince. His extension hasn’t even started yet. Now we’re already talking about attaching picks or young players to trade his salary away so we can go chase some players in free agency?

:lol:

Not going to happen.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#2084 » by DarkXaero » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:23 am

7footMONSTER wrote:Did we just become the New York Knicks or something?

We just signed Prince. His extension hasn’t even started yet. Now we’re already talking about attaching picks or young players to trade his salary away so we can go chase some players in free agency?

:lol:

Not going to happen.
The idea to salary dump Prince with the 1st has been recently brought up by John Hollinger, and Sam Vecenie. It's not just a select few Nets fans saying it. I'm not for it, for what its worth, I only brought it up as an innocuous question to figure out what it would take for us to get to full MLE.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2085 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:31 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Are we sure Ibaka wants to sign with the Hawks or Pistons?

He coudl always re-up for this year and get a contract next off season.

Guys at 30-31 typically dont take 1 year deals unless they are trying to up their value after an bad year/injury or are enormous stars who would still get the max even if they got hurt.

He has a ring already. Last chance to get paid. and he hasnt made much money as a pro for someone of his calibur. here are the 3 contracts he has had:

Rookie deal: 4 years/6 million (total not per year)
1st contract: 4 years/48 million (equivolent to about the full MLE)
2nd Contract: 3 years/54 million

It would be really unlikely that he took the tax payer MLE (4/35ish) when pretty much anyone would give him the full MLE and anyone with space would give him at least 12 million per year. Also, in the current era of the NBA you can take the money and then try and force your way to a better team. that works better for stars but teams seem to accomodate that more today.

The heat could give him 12-20 million. Why not go there compete with a team that just made the finals and get your money? Utah, Denver (if they lose grant), back to OKC if they move paul, Rockets if they move gordon, he could also take the tax payer MLE from the lakers who just won a title.

There are going to be playoff teams with room for the full MLE or a big deal. there are playoff teams with guys who may walk they will be motivated to replace. Hell toronto may even see value in bringing him back and they can go over the cap to pay him. Toronto also would benefit from a sign and trade and then could ship him to most teams and he would get paid the most that way too.

i am not saying its impossible, but guys in ibakas position (31 year old fringe all-stars up for their last big payday) typically dont take 1/2 their market value to ring chase when they have a ring. and if he was ring chasing there are other options that can pay him more
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#2086 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:31 am

Give me names of these teams that are willing to offer Ibaka more than the MLE in free agency. I know the teams that have capspace, and they either already have a glut at the 4/5, or have their sights set on filling a different positional need this offseason. The market for C's is going to bottom out this time, and we and other teams may be the beneficiaries.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#2087 » by MGrand15 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:00 am

I think Ibaka is super unlikely but I think the market is gonna be pretty stingy with all the lost revenue due to covid. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see some guys take a lot less money than they typically would.

I also think our FA situation is gonna depend on how players view our team. If they're lumping us in with all the good playoff teams, then our chances our slim. If players see us as a bonafide top 2-3 team - we jump into a whole different category. Look, teams like Denver + Utah + Milwaukee are awesome but guys aren't taking big pay cuts to go there.

Outside of Serge, one guy to keep an eye on is Avery Bradley. He has a PO and there's been rumblings about him to Brooklyn for awhile. I kindof dismissed them but after the Lakers won the chip without him, I wouldn't be shocked if he goes for a fresh start.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,833

Post#2088 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:50 pm

If Serge Ibaka gets paid 20 mil a season in this economic climate I will eat my hat
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2089 » by DarkXaero » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:19 pm

So apparently the Cavs are targeting the likes of Josh Jackson, MKG, and Pat Connaughton in offseason, which makes me think that they'll be open to the idea of trading for Prince. I would love to do a Prince for Nance Jr trade without giving up a 1st round pick. Obviously we'd need to add an asset or two but I think that would be a low key great trade for us.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2090 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:51 am

DarkXaero wrote:So apparently the Cavs are targeting the likes of Josh Jackson, MKG, and Pat Connaughton in offseason, which makes me think that they'll be open to the idea of trading for Prince. I would love to do a Prince for Nance Jr trade without giving up a 1st round pick. Obviously we'd need to add an asset or two but I think that would be a low key great trade for us.

Larry Nance is on a decent contract that runs through '22, I don't see why the Cavs would give him up for Prince without a 1st rounder attached.

Honestly, it's not worth giving up a first just to dump Prince. He's a serviceable player that can help to space the floor.

DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2091 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:55 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:So apparently the Cavs are targeting the likes of Josh Jackson, MKG, and Pat Connaughton in offseason, which makes me think that they'll be open to the idea of trading for Prince. I would love to do a Prince for Nance Jr trade without giving up a 1st round pick. Obviously we'd need to add an asset or two but I think that would be a low key great trade for us.

Larry Nance is on a decent contract that runs through '22, I don't see why the Cavs would give him up for Prince without a 1st rounder attached.

Honestly, it's not worth giving up a first just to dump Prince. He's a serviceable player that can help to space the floor.
They have a problem of too many bigs in their rotation, and they're looking for a forward in the same mold as Prince. And it's not about dumping Prince, its more about getting a player who can improve us, and be a better fit.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#2092 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:57 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

They have a problem of too many bigs in their rotation, and they're looking for a forward in the same mold as Prince. And it's not about dumping Prince, its more about getting a player who can improve us, and be a better fit.

Prince is a good fit here. He can shoot, he's got some length and despite his low bball IQ he isn't a bad individual defender. He should thrive in the 2nd unit. Nance Jr. would be a good fit too, a great fit actually. But I see no reason for Cleveland to trade him for Prince, who makes more and isn't as good overall.

Taurean Prince will be much better for the Nets next season in a stacked line up than he would be for the Cavs in their rebuilding roster.

DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#2093 » by DarkXaero » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Prince is a good fit here. He can shoot, he's got some length and despite his low bball IQ he isn't a bad individual defender. He should thrive in the 2nd unit. Nance Jr. would be a good fit too, a great fit actually. But I see no reason for Cleveland to trade him for Prince, who makes more and isn't as good overall.

Taurean Prince will be much better for the Nets next season in a stacked line up than he would be for the Cavs in their rebuilding roster.
They make roughly the same money ($12.5 mill vs $11.2 mill). I'm not saying that Prince isn't a good fit here, but I think we need a mobile stretch big who can play 4/5 more than we need Prince. I think Prince + asset for Nance Jr will be enticing to Cavs, given that they're looking for a SF in the market.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2094 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:38 pm

Its becoming more and more obvious with the dearth of cap space and shrinking cap that most Free Agents will be underpaid this off season.

Some of the teams with cap will also be looking to save it for next off season. Also even the teams with cap are miserable situations like Detroit or Cleveland which Free Agents may not want to go too regardless.

I'm more confident that we can add a very good piece with the MLE this off season. Someone is going to get shut out of Free Agency and when they do all the contenders will be competing for their services.

Still think we should stand pat and let the chips fall where they may before making any major decisions. I still believe our #1 priority is to add defensive wing depth.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#2095 » by GTR11 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:34 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its becoming more and more obvious with the dearth of cap space and shrinking cap that most Free Agents will be underpaid this off season.

Some of the teams with cap will also be looking to save it for next off season. Also even the teams with cap are miserable situations like Detroit or Cleveland which Free Agents may not want to go too regardless.

I'm more confident that we can add a very good piece with the MLE this off season. Someone is going to get shut out of Free Agency and when they do all the contenders will be competing for their services.

Still think we should stand pat and let the chips fall where they may before making any major decisions. I still believe our #1 priority is to add defensive wing depth.

Sorry to disappoint you my friend but that's not how it works. That means player will go for highest bidder. We just have to be thankful for the fact we got great owner who's willing to spend. We going to stay pat IMHO.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2096 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:53 am

GTR11 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its becoming more and more obvious with the dearth of cap space and shrinking cap that most Free Agents will be underpaid this off season.

Sorry to disappoint you my friend but that's not how it works. That means player will go for highest bidder. We just have to be thankful for the fact we got great owner who's willing to spend. We going to stay pat IMHO.

Don't you get it? There literally isn't enough money to go around.

The pandemic has ruined any chance of a cap spike and many teams are less willing to spend. Two teams with cap space Dallas & Miami are preserving their cap for 2021.

Someone is going to have to take a pay cut for next year.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#2097 » by GTR11 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:51 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

Don't you get it? There literally isn't enough money to go around.

The pandemic has ruined any chance of a cap spike and many teams are less willing to spend. Two teams with cap space Dallas & Miami are preserving their cap for 2021.

Someone is going to have to take a pay cut for next year.

I think you forgotten security part. With new upcoming cba players will go for new contracts like there is no tommorow. Seen what Ibaka had to say. Whatcha what rest of them going to do.
PS . Don't get your hopes to high. We got good team as it is.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#2098 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:15 am

^
I can't totally decipher your message, GTR11, but Hello Brooklyn is right. One, teams will not have much capspace to work with this offseason. The few teams that have any are either only willing to offer one-year deals because they want to go for Giannis next offseason (Miami, Toronto, Dallas),

OR

they are in rebuilding mode and not interested in the marginal improvement of free agents a decade older than their core.

This is ESPECIALLY true for guys like Serge Ibaka, Mason Plumlee and Kelly Olynyk. They are provisional starters or great 6th/7th men, but with most contenders already over the cap and in debt, they aren't going to receive offers commensurate with their ability. Plus, the utility and value of their position is shrinking as teams move more toward pace and space.

Truthfully, I would be fine with Jordan/Claxton/Durant as our depth chart at the 5. As long as we stock up on versatile, strong, tenacious wing defenders, we would be fine. The days of just paying through the nose for a 7-footer with a pulse are long gone. But if we can get a skilled big who can guard on the perimeter and hit the corner 3, for only the MLE, let's do it. That's called caveat venditor, where players are the sellers and teams are the lucky buyers.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#2099 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 pm

I think Saric is an enticing option to go after for the MLE.

He would be a good stretch 4 to put next to Durant. Will likely get screwed out of a big contract cause of the cap situation.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#2100 » by Prokorov » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:08 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:^
I can't totally decipher your message, GTR11, but Hello Brooklyn is right. One, teams will not have much capspace to work with this offseason. The few teams that have any are either only willing to offer one-year deals because they want to go for Giannis next offseason (Miami, Toronto, Dallas),

I mean heat have 42 million committed for 21-22. even if they gave BAM the full max they could give ibaka the full MLE and still max giannis.

The blazers could give him the full MLE
The nuggets could give him the full MLE
The thunder could give him the full MLE
'
So its not just atlanta and detroit that can give him more then we can. He made 23 million this year. its his last chance for a large long term deal. he isnt taking a 16 million paycut. not for us. not for the 1992 dream team. he has a ring. he can play for contenders for the MLE. he can probably get 75-80% of what he made this year from miami. he can probably go back to toronto for more than the MLE.

Him coming here is a pipe dream.

Return to Brooklyn Nets