Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,692

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1021 » by rzzzzz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm

76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
rzzzzz wrote:https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/17/sixers-star-ben-simmons-back-in-the-gym-working-on-his-jumper/

(at least it's a good off season activity that will only expose good intent.)

Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?

Not 2017. I believe it was the summer when he added 20lbs of muscle.

Wait, isn't the Dude standing behind him wearing a mask and a BLM shirt? so you're saying this article is a composite of an old story and a recent picture? i mean i don't know sixerswire/usa today well enough to know if they're in the business of fabricating stuff just for the clicks. certainly possible. admittedly, i didn't care about the sprightly reporting as much as the assertion of the leader. so I guess you're saying that Ben is not back in the gym right now working on his shot. that is disappointing.

so i guess this is another phonied up picture of Ben working out, put out by NBC Phila (as the lead seems to suggest, though their point is about another off season of workout may not prove a lot.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/picture-ben-simmons-training-fools-155837021.html
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#1022 » by Young22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:00 pm

So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#1023 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:13 pm

Young22 wrote:So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol

What can you say about our team’s FO?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1024 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:15 pm

rzzzzz wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Wilfried wrote:
Recycled article from 2017, 2018 or 2019?

Not 2017. I believe it was the summer when he added 20lbs of muscle.

Wait, isn't the Dude standing behind him wearing a mask and a BLM shirt? so you're saying this article is a composite of an old story and a recent picture? i mean i don't know sixerswire/usa today well enough to know if they're in the business of fabricating stuff just for the clicks. certainly possible. admittedly, i didn't care about the sprightly reporting as much as the assertion of the leader. so I guess you're saying that Ben is not back in the gym right now working on his shot. that is disappointing.

so i guess this is another phonied up picture of Ben working out, put out by NBC Phila (as the lead seems to suggest, though their point is about another off season of workout may not prove a lot.)

https://sports.yahoo.com/picture-ben-simmons-training-fools-155837021.html

To be fair, i think this is the season where we go under the radar then surprises everyone. This includes Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1025 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Young22
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#1026 » by Young22 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 am

76ciology wrote:
Young22 wrote:So where are you guys that was just bashing Jimmy for being in the gym? But Ben letting us know he’s working is a good thing? Lol momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol

They screwed themselves, should have fired Brett after the first Celtics series loss. Nobody was coming to play for the AAU coach we had in Brett Brown. They let loyalty get in the way of success. IMHO
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1027 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am

Young22 wrote:
76ciology wrote:

They screwed themselves, should have fired Brett after the first Celtics series loss. Nobody was coming to play for the AAU coach we had in Brett Brown. They let loyalty get in the way of success. IMHO

A wise man once said..
Young22 wrote:momma always said if you don’t have anything good to say shut up, or something like that lol

..btw, I agree with what you said about firing Brett 8-)
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1028 » by youngcrev » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 pm

The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

Presumably Embiid will be in the next tier they release.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,181

Post#1029 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Ironically, his perceived ranking by media outlets is much higher than this board's (and RealGM in general). I remember Woj calling him and Jo two top-15 players when he was discussing the Doc hire.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#1030 » by eyeatoma » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:08 pm

youngcrev wrote:The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

I'd say that's might be a little unfair, but could see the argument. I think defensively he is so good that it launches him from 10-17. I'd say Embiid is anywhere between 8-12
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,804

Post#1031 » by Stanford » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:34 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:The Athletic did a tiered ranking of the top-125 players in the NBA. Simmons was placed in the 17-25 tier (ahead of guys like Beal, Kyrie, Mitchell, Booker and Pascal).

I'd say that's might be a little unfair, but could see the argument. I think defensively he is so good that it launches him from 10-17. I'd say Embiid is anywhere between 8-12

17-25 is fair for Ben. 17 is probably generous, 25 is probably too low. Embiid should be just outside the top ten. Seems right.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#1032 » by youngcrev » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 am

eyeatoma wrote:

Really? I was kinda surprised by some of the names he's ahead of, and I'm not really sure what his argument would be over any of the guys in the tier ahead of him.

My guess would be the next tiers will be something like:

Tier 2:
A (14-16) Chris Paul, Paul George, Rudy Gobert
B (9-13) Embiid, Tatum, Butler, Durant (due to injury), Jokic

Tier 1:
A (4-8): Harden, Doncic, Lillard, Davis, Curry
B: (1-3): Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi

Edit:
Actual results of how tier 2 turned out:
(13-16): Chris Paul, Paul George, Gobert, Tatum
(10-12): Embiid, Butler, Lillard
(7-9): Davis, Jokic, Doncic
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,455

Post#1033 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 am

Yeah...Ben is easily top 20 player in this league. He'll vault his way into the top 10 if he can improve his scoring/shooting. It'd be stupid to trade either him or Embiid at this time. Both players are still ascending.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#1034 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:23 pm

When we really thing about it, Simmons actually is a phenomenal piece.

A+ level defender
A+ level passer

And he's a 6'10" 235 pound coordinated athlete.

He really just is some added scoring aggression away from being among the best players in the sport.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,740

Post#1035 » by Sixersftw » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Kobblehead wrote:When we really thing about it, Simmons actually is a phenomenal piece.

A+ level defender
A+ level passer

And he's a 6'10" 235 pound coordinated athlete.

He really just is some added scoring aggression away from being among the best players in the sport.

Nothing pisses off a Philadelphian more. A world class player that is1-2 tools away and are either dispassionate or even keeled. Iguodala, McNabb, Abreu and on and on. I feel bad for Ben because the crowd will turn if those go to moves or 3pter range never develop.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,531

Post#1036 » by SixthStreet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 am

Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.
ConstableChaos
Junior
And1: 205

Post#1037 » by ConstableChaos » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 am

Ideally he's top 10 in FTA (Zion was 10th last season at 7.42), and shooting them at a >70% clip.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1038 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:12 am

SixthStreet wrote:Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.

The numbers may say otherwise, but on eyetest.. he isn’t that good at finishing around the rim on halfcourt. That is also the problem. He doesnt have that freakish length of a Giannis or the around the rim touch of maybe LeBron to be an elite scorer around the rim.

Considering everything (style, demeanor and etc), he’s likely to be more well rounded. Like he’s going to attempt some 3s, some mid range and mostly paint shots specially on transition. Which may be a better scenario than just focusing on one aspect too much.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1039 » by 76ciology » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:15 am

ConstableChaos wrote:Ideally he's top 10 in FTA (Zion was 10th last season at 7.42), and shooting them at a >70% clip.

Possible if Ben spend more time at the paint. But you then hurt Biid’s game and won’t maximize his guard skills.

And honestly, if you wants him to play like Amare Stoudamire as a roll man or DeAndre Jordan at the dunker spot waiting for lobs, then you might as well trade Ben and find cheaper guys who can play those limited roles.
Filthadelphia
Senior
And1: 751

Post#1040 » by Filthadelphia » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:42 pm

76ciology wrote:
SixthStreet wrote:Which is more likely: Ben shooting moderate volume 3s or significantly ramping up his attempts at the rim? Him shooting more at the rim is much more important I think. He's high efficiency at the rim mainly because he limits himself to easy shots and dunks where he doesn't think he's going to be fouled. To me, he's got to get more aggressive and less selective with his in close shot attempts and if he does I'll be fine if he doesn't shoot 3s. That's the place I'd rather see his scoring volume go up from.

The numbers may say otherwise, but on eyetest.. he isn’t that good at finishing around the rim on halfcourt. That is also the problem. He doesnt have that freakish length of a Giannis or the around the rim touch of maybe LeBron to be an elite scorer around the rim.

Considering everything (style, demeanor and etc), he’s likely to be more well rounded. Like he’s going to attempt some 3s, some mid range and mostly paint shots specially on transition. Which may be a better scenario than just focusing on one aspect too much.

You post so frequently...yet ur still out to lunch.
Read on Twitter
AVATAR BET W RAPS FANS: Sixers beat Raps in 2018 playoffs
-binjumper
-And1+2

Return to Philadelphia 76ers