NBA Leaning Toward Starting Season 'Sooner Rather Than Later'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Leaning Toward Starting Season 'Sooner Rather Than Later' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:44 pm

The NBA will meet with its television partners, ESPN and Turner, to decide on a start date for the 20-21 season.

The consensus currently is to start the season "sooner rather than later" in order to keep the 21-22 season on a more normal calendar.

The league is unlikely to start the season before Martin Luther King Day in January, but they have considered starting in February or March in order to maximize the possibility of getting fans back into arenas for game day revenue. 

Via Bill Simmons/The Ringer (via Sports Business Journal)

Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Re: NBA Leaning Toward Starting Season 'Sooner Rather Than Later' 

Post#2 » by Liam_Gallagher » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 pm

"Sooner rather than later" but then they say MLK day is out of the question and March is a possibility lol. How is this news?
joeschmo
Junior
And1: 395

Post#3 » by joeschmo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:39 pm

Sounds like an Onion article
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#4 » by grindtime22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:07 pm

Liam_Gallagher wrote:"Sooner rather than later" but then they say MLK day is out of the question and March is a possibility lol. How is this news?

Did you read something completely different than me?
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#5 » by grindtime22 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:09 pm

grindtime22 wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:"Sooner rather than later" but then they say MLK day is out of the question and March is a possibility lol. How is this news?

Did you read something completely different than me?

nevermind, it looks likes like you did

The original forum post seems to be completely different from what is displaying on the wiretap
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 pm

They're looking to start the season sooner rather than later because they're worried player sentiment will decline more as time goes on and there won't be any season.
SHO'NUFF
Head Coach
And1: 2,155

Post#7 » by SHO'NUFF » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:14 pm

"But I was surprised because I thought it wasn't going to start until March or April. But now it sounds like it's going to be sooner."

Sheeeeiiiit. I didn't even think it would start that late. I thought everyone expected sometime in January. So, reading this article i expected to read that they think it would open in mid-late December as "sooner rather than later". :nonono:
#BullsFansLivesMatter Image
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#8 » by Elnegron » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Ratings will be down no matter what. Keep kneeling and ur will see gate money down across the league. I predict 10 or less teams will get good crowd, the rest will tank.
Lakers
Heat
Mavs
Clippers
Toronto
Boston
Nets
76ers
Rockets
Golden state
Bucks will have their last good bye to giannis. If he traded then attendance tank. Rest of the teams will lose alot of money
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#9 » by meekrab » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:13 am

They should just call it the 2021 season then, since nothing is going to happen in 2020 except possibly the draft.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,163

Post#10 » by Revived » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:44 am

meekrab wrote:They should just call it the 2021 season then, since nothing is going to happen in 2020 except possibly the draft.

This is actually a good point. Won’t next season be the 2021 season then as opposed to the ‘21-22 season?
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#11 » by Almond2Oak » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:06 am

Elnegron wrote:Ratings will be down no matter what. Keep kneeling and ur will see gate money down across the league. I predict 10 or less teams will get good crowd, the rest will tank.
Lakers
Heat
Mavs
Clippers
Toronto
Boston
Nets
76ers
Rockets
Golden state
Bucks will have their last good bye to giannis. If he traded then attendance tank. Rest of the teams will lose alot of money

Kneeling, BLM, etc... isn’t the reason for ratings. It’s because 40+ million ppl don’t have a job (and it’s only gonna get worse) are worried about losing everything... bc some dipshits have given no hope, help and a massive 2nd wave of deaths are coming.
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#12 » by Lwcasu » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am

Almond2Oak wrote:
Elnegron wrote:Ratings will be down no matter what. Keep kneeling and ur will see gate money down across the league. I predict 10 or less teams will get good crowd, the rest will tank.
Lakers
Heat
Mavs
Clippers
Toronto
Boston
Nets
76ers
Rockets
Golden state

Kneeling, BLM, etc... isn’t the reason for ratings. It’s because 40+ million ppl don’t have a job (and it’s only gonna get worse) are worried about losing everything... bc some dipshits have given no hope, help and a massive 2nd wave of deaths are coming.

You can tell yourself whatever you want but the truth is the truth—a lot of people aren’t watching because of the political lean.
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#13 » by Almond2Oak » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:19 am

Lwcasu wrote:
Almond2Oak wrote:
Lakers
Heat
Mavs
Clippers
Toronto
Boston
Nets
76ers
Rockets
Golden state

You can tell yourself whatever you want but the truth is the truth—a lot of people aren’t watching because of the political lean.

.... and those ppl are the reason America is about to burn. They’ve turned a blind eye. Think WP isn’t a thing... just wait till it gets icy cold in states and local economies collapse, hell NV has a 36% unemployment rate. WI has a 31%. Keep going down list. Just wait till OKC, collapse. Detroit.. collapse, Milwaukee, New York & Jersey, etc... nevermind rural MT, IA. NE. S/ND. Then it hit Denver. Then Dallas (well they doomed already bc TX a dumpster fire), San Antonio (sane as Dallas), Houston, then Orlando, then Hawks. Nobody understands what’s coming but let’s blame nba players using their platform for reform. Winter is coming and it’s about to be March:April all over... but something something BLM, Kneeling, NBA players using their platform (just like NFL is doing finally) for social change as reason for drop in ratings..... really it just mean MAGA folks don’t wanna hear it. Well they about to feel it very soon, very soon in their local economies.

Return to Wiretap Discussion