ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should Minnesota Pick at #1 (Assuming Minnesota keeps the pick)?

Anthony Edwards
42%
LaMelo Ball
22%
James Wiseman
35%

Total votes: 116

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1461 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:04 pm

I really hope the Hornets fall in love with Wiseman during workouts. Getting one of Ball/Edwards and something extra like Bridges or Washington would be great.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#1462 » by theGreatRC » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:12 am

Not liking that the draft is 1 month away and we know NOTHING about the prospects on our radar for #1 aside from zoom interviews.

We don't know what Melo, Ant man or Wiseman even look like right now unless we go to their instagrams or someone posts workout highlights on youtube..

When can we start working guys out? Or is Rosas fishing for trades and wants no part of the top 3 prospects?
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1463 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:39 am

theGreatRC wrote:Not liking that the draft is 1 month away and we know NOTHING about the prospects on our radar for #1 aside from zoom interviews.

We don't know what Melo, Ant man or Wiseman even look like right now unless we go to their instagrams or someone posts workout highlights on youtube..

When can we start working guys out? Or is Rosas fishing for trades and wants no part of the top 3 prospects?

Sounds as if they've already had interviews with a few players. But the ones I heard aren't talked about in the top 5 anywhere. Not having combine results with this remote version they've held over a month duration, with no one getting measurements out, no team workout vids surfacing. Stinks

During the NBA Draft Combine that is being held both virtually and in teams' respective markets, players sat down for videoconference interviews, conducted by team and league officials from late Sept. through mid-Oct.
How much did anyone even hear of these.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#1464 » by Dewey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:38 pm

im making the assumption we will trade down ... not sure how far but I think once teams get a little more comfort with certain players we will see some movement and teams start getting more serious. Therefore... beyond Ball, Wiseman, and Edwards the next 7 round up the media-hype top 10...

1. Okoro... gritty defensive wing
2. Avdija ... skilled forward
3. Okungwu ... Traditional PF
4. Toppin ... athletic stretch-4
5. Halliburton ... size and unique court awareness
6. Hayes ... solid all-around both ends of the floor
7. Vassell ... Good length for SG and solid both ends of the floor
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#1465 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:47 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#1466 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:11 am

Dewey wrote:im making the assumption we will trade down ... not sure how far but I think once teams get a little more comfort with certain players we will see some movement and teams start getting more serious. Therefore... beyond Ball, Wiseman, and Edwards the next 7 round up the media-hype top 10...

If I’m Minnesota I’m reluctant to grab Okoro due to so much overlap between him and Culver. If Culver is traded in more okay with it.
Deni is pretty awesome. I’m okay with him.
Okongwu is more of a C/PF combo. His ideal role is probably center, but he’s more than capable of playing PF.
Toppin is the type of player that is ran off the court in playoff games nowadays. He’s a good player, just not a good fit for the current NBA on defense.
I really like Haliburton. I personally have him as the best point guard after Ball.
Hayes may be a tough sell for Minnesota as a fit with Russell. They’re both very left dominant which could shrink the court.
If I can’t have OO or Deni, I happily take Vassell. Fit wise, he’s probably the best player for Minnesota with the exception of OO.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#1467 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:22 am

Terry?

I like.
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1468 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Terry?

I like.
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is about Tre Jones, not Tyrell Terry haha.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#1469 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 am

Roger.
Mamba4Goat wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:Terry?

I like.
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

This is about Tre Jones, not Tyrell Terry haha.

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Post#1470 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:53 am

Neeva wrote:You will be in a few years wiseman wont even have top ten draft pick value.. he will be ayton 2.0.

What the hell is wrong with Ayton 2.0???
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1471 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:18 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Neeva wrote:You will be in a few years wiseman wont even have top ten draft pick value.. he will be ayton 2.0.

A friend once suggested that the Suns are more likely to make an all in for KAT trade than Minnesota is to make an all in for Booker move. My first thought was that there’s a very solid chance that Ayton becomes good enough to make a trade for KAT not worth it. I’m not saying they’d be on equal footing, but it’s moreso the difference between CJ McCollum and a Bradley Beal type. Ayton has a ton of tools to become a very good player. If Wiseman was Ayton 2.0 whoever that gets him will be a lucky team.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#1472 » by Neeva » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:54 am

KGdaBom wrote:

My point is that there are already 4-5 players (luka, young, JJJ,SGA, possible porter jr and Mikal Bridges)
with more trade value than Ayton in that 2018 draft class. I can easily see the same thing happening with Wiseman and this draft class. This league doesn’t value centers as much.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1473 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
Dewey wrote:im making the assumption we will trade down ... not sure how far but I think once teams get a little more comfort with certain players we will see some movement and teams start getting more serious. Therefore... beyond Ball, Wiseman, and Edwards the next 7 round up the media-hype top 10...

If I’m Minnesota I’m reluctant to grab Okoro due to so much overlap between him and Culver. If Culver is traded in more okay with it.
Okongwu is more of a C/PF combo. His ideal role is probably center, but he’s more than capable of playing PF.
Toppin is the type of player that is ran off the court in playoff games nowadays. He’s a good player, just not a good fit for the current NBA on defense.
I really like Haliburton. I personally have him as the best point guard after Ball.
Hayes may be a tough sell for Minnesota as a fit with Russell. They’re both very left dominant which could shrink the court.
If I can’t have OO or Deni, I happily take Vassell. Fit wise, he’s probably the best player for Minnesota with the exception of OO.

Hey Mamba I like all these points offered. Except could you please go into more detail on your Toppin point in regards to playoffs. That one I'm not sure I get at the moment.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#1474 » by minimus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 am

It is difficult to assess this year's prospects, but one thing that should translate well in the NBA is shooting. Also good shooters have a good value across the league. Here is the list of a few candidates who have the potential to be good NBA shooters plus impacting the game with one more skill

* - Killian Hayes. 87.6% from FTs, he shot unimpressive 29.4% from 3pt, but his ballhandling, shooting mechanic, and footwork make me believe that he can be a much better 3pt shooter in NBA. His main advantage is that he played against grown men Europe, IMO he has a better basketball education. Education is this "one more skill"

* - Ty Terry. 89% from FTs, he shot impressive 41% from 3pt, Terry gained 15lbs during this offseason, addressing his biggest weakness - strength. It has been reported that he improved his explosiveness, so looking forward to seeing his vertical. His IQ is this "one more skill"
Read on Twitter

* - Tyrese Haliburton. 82% from FTs, he shot impressive 42% from 3pt, despite having a weird shooting release. But his main area for improvement IMO is his footwork, if he can refine his footwork, both as a shooter and slasher, he can be truly special. There is no way a defender can defend him if he can simply shoot over. His size at PG/SG position is this "one more skill"

* - Tyrese Maxey. 83% he shot unimpressive 29% from 3pt. Maxey is a tough competitor, winner, he has motor, skills and athletic tools to be an NBA combo-guard. Winning mentality is this "one more skill"

* - Kira Lewis Jr. 80% from FTs, he shot solid 36.6% from 3pt. He is elite quickness and speed, but what makes him a unique prospect is that he has the ability to change speed, pace, and play without forcing much. His speed, quickness (not only physical but also decision making) is this "one more skill"

* - Patrick Williams. 84% from FTs, he shot below average 32% from 3pt. He is very young - only 19 yo, but has already NBA ready body. He has a strong base, and he is explosive. His defensive potential as a big wing is this "one more skill"

* - Ty-Shon Alexander. 86% from FTs, he shot an impressive 40% from 3pt. He is a big combo-guard, solid defender, solid athlete.
His defensive potential as a combo-guard is this "one more skill".

* - Grant Riller. 83% from FTs, he shot a solid 36% from 3pt. A savvy scorer, He is older than other candidates but he is a good choice for #33 pick. His experience as a lead scorer is a plus

To sum up: I used >80% from FT as a criterion to filter draft prospects to identify candidates who might have high potential to become good NBA shooter, sometimes despite low 3pt percentages. I am kind of skeptical about Avdija because of FT%, and Vassell because of his recent shooting form as shooters.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1475 » by shangrila » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:52 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:

I'd argue Vassell actually overlaps more with Culver than Okoro.

I don't think either Culver or Vassell can realistically guard 4s, whereas I think Okoro can. So I view Culver and Vassell as more 2/3 guys and Okoro as a 3/4 (who can also cover 2s).
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#1476 » by minimus » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 am

shangrila wrote:I'd argue Vassell actually overlaps more with Culver than Okoro.

I don't think either Culver or Vassell can realistically guard 4s, whereas I think Okoro can. So I view Culver and Vassell as more 2/3 guys and Okoro as a 3/4 (who can also cover 2s).

That is why I prefer Okoro over Vassell. Plus Okoro is a good passer and finisher at rim.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#1477 » by Rookie-Mistake » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi guys,

I was thinking about getting a subscription for the Athletic. Just wanting to hear if it's worth it or not.. I've seen snippets of Sam Vecenies mock draft and really appreciate the depth of analysis.

Are there any deals for AUS?

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1478 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:27 pm

Neeva wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

My point is that there are already 4-5 players (luka, young, JJJ,SGA, possible porter jr and Mikal Bridges)
with more trade value than Ayton in that 2018 draft class. I can easily see the same thing happening with Wiseman and this draft class. This league doesn’t value centers as much.

I don't care how much trade value they have. I care how good they are. Ayton is very good. You got to be kidding me that Mikal Bridges or either Porter Jr. is better than Ayton. JJJ debatable. I think I'd rather have the more reliably healthy Ayton. If Ayton is the third best player that comes out of that class that's a nice third best. If Wiseman is our pick and he turns out as good as Ayton we hit a triple if not a homer.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#1479 » by TheDominator273 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:55 pm

I'm really coming around on Tyrell Terry, if we can trade back to say 8 with the Knicks I'd feel comfortable taking him there. Taking him at 1 is leaving value on the table in the form of a trade down, but if we can't get any offers we like I'd take him there. Ball and Edwards have just as many question marks about them as Terry, and although I think Wiseman has the highest ceiling I don't think he'd hit it here playing behind/alongside KAT.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1480 » by KGdaBom » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:54 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:I'm really coming around on Tyrell Terry, if we can trade back to say 8 with the Knicks I'd feel comfortable taking him there. Taking him at 1 is leaving value on the table in the form of a trade down, but if we can't get any offers we like I'd take him there. Ball and Edwards have just as many question marks about them as Terry, and although I think Wiseman has the highest ceiling I don't think he'd hit it here playing behind/alongside KAT.

If you would consider Terry at pick 8 you are really coming around on him big time. He's a great shooter. He's too small to play the SG so he's got to make it as a PG.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves