ImageImageImage

Bring Rondo Home 2020 edition

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Re: Bring Rondo Home 2020 edition 

Post#21 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:30 pm

Ernest wrote:Yeah it was weird how LAL fans hated Rondo to start with. I remember talking to them on their forum saying they would like him and he'd end up helping them get a title and I was told I was wrong by everyone. Kind of also funny how many people on here turned on him. From reading posts over the last few years, you'd think he forced his way out and burned the bridge behind him. The "Bring Rondo Home 2017-19" threads were no where near as positive.

No they hated him, even during the start of the playoffs when the celebrated he got hurt because that means the team wouldn't waste minutes on someone that was actively hurting it on the court.

Rondo didn't play well in the bubble, he played well in parts of the playoffs.

This is the shortest to sights to judge him and his play off of haha.

AD and LeBron have his respect, we known plenty of other stars that don't let along up and comers like Tatum. And do you really think he's going to accept playing behind some guys he has more all-stars and rings than? He'll be an extremely toxic room presence like he has in many of his locker room locations during his career.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#22 » by Dannyboy36 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 pm

I think Rondo being smarter than Brad wouldn’t work here.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#23 » by celtxman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 am

I'm surprised no one mentioned Kemba in this thread so far. It was clear we weren't bringing back IT when Kyrie came in. So Rondo comes in and things work better with Tatum, Brown and Hayward on the floor because Rondo doesn't need shots to have a big impact. Then what? Before Kemba was signed, I advocated getting Rondo for balance. But unless you are working a Kemba for a frontcourt player, type deal, you really cant do it.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#24 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:06 am

celtxman wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned Kemba in this thread so far. It was clear we weren't bringing back IT when Kyrie came in. So Rondo comes in and things work better with Tatum, Brown and Hayward on the floor because Rondo doesn't need shots to have a big impact. Then what? Before Kemba was signed, I advocated getting Rondo for balance. But unless you are working a Kemba for a frontcourt player, type deal, you really cant do it.

I guess the thinking here is Rondo takes over Wanamaker's place. Then he becomes the 7th man with increased minutes/role in the playoffs depending on the opponent.

If Hayward is still in Boston for the year, I don't find much use for Rondo. We need to elevate Gordo's playmaking/ballhandling role if we're not trading him. Adding a ball-dominant Rondo will not achieve that goal. Ainge is also on record saying Brown is ready for more opportunities and an increased role.

In any case, I don't think Rondo is leaving LA.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#25 » by Ernest » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Ernest wrote:Yeah it was weird how LAL fans hated Rondo to start with. I remember talking to them on their forum saying they would like him and he'd end up helping them get a title and I was told I was wrong by everyone. Kind of also funny how many people on here turned on him. From reading posts over the last few years, you'd think he forced his way out and burned the bridge behind him. The "Bring Rondo Home 2017-19" threads were no where near as positive.

No they hated him, even during the start of the playoffs when the celebrated he got hurt because that means the team wouldn't waste minutes on someone that was actively hurting it on the court.

AD and LeBron have his respect, we known plenty of other stars that don't let along up and comers like Tatum. And do you really think he's going to accept playing behind some guys he has more all-stars and rings than? He'll be an extremely toxic room presence like he has in many of his locker room locations during his career.

So he only played well in the playoffs? Did you watch the Lakers bubble and season games? I didn't, but I bet you didn't either. Can't really go off stats with a guy like Rondo. Also, even if what you are saying is true, who cares? He just played well in the playoffs and won a title. I think our team can get to the playoffs playoff help is exactly what we need.

Also, this idea that Rondo wouldn't play behind Kemba because he has more all-stars and rings than him? You realize that Rondo was playing behind someone worse than Kemba in LAL right? I mean, just come out and say you hate Rondo, no need to make stuff up.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#26 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:15 pm

Ernest wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

So he only played well in the playoffs? Did you watch the Lakers bubble and season games? I didn't, but I bet you didn't either. Can't really go off stats with a guy like Rondo. Also, even if what you are saying is true, who cares? He just played well in the playoffs and won a title. I think our team can get to the playoffs playoff help is exactly what we need.

Also, this idea that Rondo wouldn't play behind Kemba because he has more all-stars and rings than him? You realize that Rondo was playing behind someone worse than Kemba in LAL right? I mean, just come out and say you hate Rondo, no need to make stuff up.

Yes but the Laker fanbase did on RealGM. That's why I brought that up, it was unanimous.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#27 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:51 pm

No
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Ernest » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:47 pm

LarryBirdsFingr wrote:No

Yes
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#29 » by celtics543 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:04 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:I think Rondo being smarter than Brad wouldn’t work here.

If Rondo is smarter than Brad then we have a coach issue not a player issue. Rondo needs a player or coach he respects as his equal in terms of bbiq before he's going to play hard for them. He respects Lebron that way and played hard for him. When he was young he respected KG and Pierce that way and played hard. He really didn't have that person at any other point in his career and he had coaches who he didn't think very highly of, which caused issues.

I like Rondo. I'd take him back on my team any day but I don't think we have the money and we have a max guy at his position so maybe we should be checking out other positions of need first.
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#30 » by OBisHalJordan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Ernest wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

This was my thought reading this thread. Rondo's one my favorite players all time so the fan in me would like to see him come back with a Kemba for an allstar front court player trade to balance out the talent on the team. In that instance, I wonder about Smart. Would be he be cool with Rondo coming back? Would they're be tension around who is starting PG?

Also Rondo and CP3 hate each other so it would be pretty awesome to see CP3 go to LAL, and Rondo come here and then they meet in the finals. This will be my emotionally satisfying 2k scenario
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,842

Post#31 » by BK_2020 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:29 pm

Rondo sux
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#32 » by Darth Celtic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:30 pm

1. we can't afford him. 2. he'll probably play some place where he can start and get bigger mins than our backup.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by Ernest » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:17 am

Maybe he'll get more money, but I don't see him wanting to go to some crapy team just to get the biggest pay check and start.

CP3 going to LAL- even if unlikely- would seem about the best chance for Rondo to come home. CP3 would have to give up a lot of money so maybe it happens next offseason.
Cuban Pete
Junior
And1: 231

Post#34 » by Cuban Pete » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Hell no.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#35 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,783

Post#36 » by flintsky21 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:26 pm

I'd like this reunion more than the Baynes one.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:29 am

Rondo to the Clippers could be a good move for him. Though, I guess if I were him, I'd have to have a pretty good reason to leave LAL. Haven't checked the Vegas odds but they have to be favored to win another title right?

As for a possible Rondo/Smart problem- maybe. But maybe not. Smart hasn't raised any problems thus far about not starting. That says something about him. I mean, he is certainly talented enough to start. A lot of guys, in his situation, would be pissed and complain and eventually force a trade. But in my mind Smart already makes Kemba tradable. Meaning Smart could step in and start. If we add another guy who can really only play the 1 or maybe 2, we might be making a problem. That said, I'd roll the dice on it.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#38 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:11 pm

I don't think Ainge is interested in a Rondo reunion.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#39 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:46 am

Rondo could potentially become available.

"With a flat luxury-tax line and hard cap, several teams will be forced into hard decisions in the coming weeks, Bobby Marks of ESPN notes. The hard cap of $138.9MM could force the Lakers to decide between trying to re-sign Rajon Rondo and spending their $9.3MM midlevel exception on another free agent, Marks notes."

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/and-ones-cousins-cap-projections-two-way-players-hard-cap.html
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#40 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:37 am

Cs have "minor interest" in bringing Rondo back, per Twitter source.

Spoiler:

Return to Boston Celtics