TPE Trade Target Watch

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Re: TPE Trade Target Watch 

Post#381 » by Mylie10 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:06 pm

Little Digger wrote:Barton fits really well with the Nuggets

He does, but I think they want to clear minutes for some younger guys to have a bigger role. And they really liked the kid Morris.

So I think a team like the Nuggets, who might want to cut some salary off their books, is a good candidate to use the TPE.

The question for us is will Lacob ok the use of the TPE?
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#382 » by tarantism » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:42 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
tarantism wrote:Has anybody considered a smaller acquisition of Taurean Prince?

He fits in well as a combo forward who is strong enough to guard smaller PFs, yet quick enough at to least hang with quicker guys until help comes. He would definitely be comfortable with coming off of the bench after Iggy's success in that type of role here. He is a little bit of a sneaky scorer that you can run plays for and he shows good movement off of the bounce.

Best part is that he would only take up a tiny portion of our TPE. This article presupposes that Prince is available because the Nets want to unload Joe Harris: https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/10/15/21515429/washington-wizards-brooklyn-nets-trade-idea-taurean-prince-nic-claxton-ish-smith-issac-bonga . I know its not the best source but it's at least something to discuss.

It seems like an excellent, win/win move.

$14 million is not a tiny portion of the TE.

woops. I saw a weird number elsewhere. Still worth it to me if there is nothing better available. He would fit the Barnes/Iggy role very well.
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
ShayDee
Rookie
And1: 259

Post#383 » by ShayDee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 pm

tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
tarantism wrote:Has anybody considered a smaller acquisition of Taurean Prince?

He fits in well as a combo forward who is strong enough to guard smaller PFs, yet quick enough at to least hang with quicker guys until help comes. He would definitely be comfortable with coming off of the bench after Iggy's success in that type of role here. He is a little bit of a sneaky scorer that you can run plays for and he shows good movement off of the bounce.

Best part is that he would only take up a tiny portion of our TPE. This article presupposes that Prince is available because the Nets want to unload Joe Harris: https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/10/15/21515429/washington-wizards-brooklyn-nets-trade-idea-taurean-prince-nic-claxton-ish-smith-issac-bonga . I know its not the best source but it's at least something to discuss.

It seems like an excellent, win/win move.

woops. I saw a weird number elsewhere. Still worth it to me if there is nothing better available. He would fit the Barnes/Iggy role very well.

Nets need to attach their 1sts, he is a negative contract
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#384 » by tarantism » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm

ShayDee wrote:
tarantism wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:

Nets need to attach their 1sts, he is a negative contract
Maybe they would agree to send us #19 for some cash? Prince + #19 for our TPE. They are going to look for veterans anyway to fill out that team.

Sent from my LM-X220PM using RealGM mobile app
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#385 » by Warriorfan » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:17 am

Warriors can combine TPE 17mil player, say #8 5.8 drafted player and Looney 4.6,
33.4 for a exp star at deadline IMO.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#386 » by gswhoops » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:01 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Warriors can combine TPE 17mil player, say #8 5.8 drafted player and Looney 4.6,

You can't combine TPE and player salary to acquire a player who makes more than the TPE by rule. Plus, it expires on the 24th.

Anyway, given the recent press, get ready for the answer to be "no one"
tarantism
Lead Assistant

Post#387 » by tarantism » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:31 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Warriors can combine TPE 17mil player, say #8 5.8 drafted player and Looney 4.6,

You can't combine TPE and player salary to acquire a player who makes more than the TPE by rule. Plus, it expires on the 24th.

I thought they pushed it back again since they pushed back the draft again?
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#388 » by ahmetmekin » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:32 pm

gswhoops wrote:

Obviously he says use the tpe before it expires and trade the player before the trade deadline.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,745

Post#389 » by gswhoops » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:43 pm

ahmetmekin wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Obviously he says use the tpe before it expires and trade the player before the trade deadline.

I really, really doubt ownership is going to sign off on using the TPE to take someone just to use as filler later given the luxury tax implications.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#390 » by whatisacenter » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Looks like the front office might be bracing the fan base...

The Golden State Warriors will only use its $17.2 million trade exception for a "special opportunity," sources told Anthony Slater of The Athletic.

The Warriors received the trade exception as part of the Andre Iguodala deal to the Grizzlies last summer.

The trade exception expires seven days after the start of free agency.

Slater cites the Warriors' currently luxury tax bill combined with the uncertainty over the reopening of the Chase Center as reasons for the hesitation.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,696

Post#391 » by Warriorfan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:50 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Looks like the front office might be bracing the fan base...

The Golden State Warriors will only use its $17.2 million trade exception for a "special opportunity," sources told Anthony Slater of The Athletic.

The Warriors received the trade exception as part of the Andre Iguodala deal to the Grizzlies last summer.

Slater cites the Warriors' currently luxury tax bill combined with the uncertainty over the reopening of the Chase Center as reasons for the hesitation.

2022 will be be a special opportunity. Many owners will be cash strapped. 2022 is special free agent class. If a team may not be able to resign its top player or not close to contention
an exp deal and lottery pick is value.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#392 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm

gswhoops wrote:

It doesn't expire on the 24th. That was the old date.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#393 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:56 pm

whatisacenter wrote:Looks like the front office might be bracing the fan base...

It's not new. They have been saying they will use the TPE if it makes sense. Remember they don't just use the TPE it has to be part of a trade, so what has to go out to bring that player in? A few 2nd round picks for Marcus Smart they do in a heartbeat, 2 1st round picks, Paschall, Looney, and Poole for Smart? Maybe not.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#394 » by xdrta+ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

It's not new. They have been saying they will use the TPE if it makes sense. Remember they don't just use the TPE it has to be part of a trade, so what has to go out to bring that player in? A few 2nd round picks for Marcus Smart they do in a heartbeat, 2 1st round picks, Paschall, Looney, and Poole for Smart? Maybe not.

That is a very good point. Most trade exceptions go unused for exactly that reason. They're only useful to scoop up an overpaid player from a team that wants to shed salary, so you're usually left with scraps. Now this year there may be more teams in that boat, but you're still left with question marks.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#395 » by TB » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:20 pm

That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#396 » by BW32 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm

TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

But if its for an Oubre, Thad, Jonas, Smart, etc type of player... i think that would qualify as special opportunity of a rotation player.

Who is Thad? Young? I would bet you 10 imaginary dollars they wouldn't take Young for free.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#397 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:17 pm

TB wrote:That "special opportunity" is nothing surprising. Of course they aren't going to use 30m dollars on a PlumZeller brother or one of the 10 trash Knicks players being rumored.

In my books the word "special" would mean either the team gives us an asset to absorb the TPE player or the player is a DPOY level/fringe allstar/allstar potentail/Young player with a ton of upside on a cheap deal(Hawks core, Bulls core etc)

What special is not are players like Snell, Oubre, That, Sato, James Johnson, Fournier, Dedmond etc unless these players come with assets they will not use TPE on them. The FO will not pay 70mil in luxury tax for these players
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,148

Post#398 » by TB » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:26 pm

Okay we can remove Thad from my list (i'm higher on him than most), but I would hope someone like Smart, Oubre, Jonas are all considered a special case?

Totally agree on guys like Snell, Fournier, Dedmon etc etc.
ShayDee
Rookie

Post#399 » by ShayDee » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:42 pm

TB wrote:Okay we can remove Thad from my list (i'm higher on him than most), but I would hope someone like Smart, Oubre, Jonas are all considered a special case?

Totally agree on guys like Snell, Fournier, Dedmon etc etc.

I'm going to put this out that those are really good players, but, Jonas is less switchable than Wiseman and makes 17mil(the most), Oubre, so many things have to go right for him, he wants to get paid, will he accept a lesser role without complaining about touches? Will he buy in? will he be willing to re-sign for less than he is making now? Also will the suns give us an asset to take him like they did with TJ Warren to Pacers? As for Smart, yes they will do it in a heartbeat
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#400 » by xdrta+ » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:55 pm

As noted, trade exceptions are difficult to get value with, especially in this case with the tax. I wouldn't be surprised if they use a piece of it, say 5-10 million, and get someone they couldn't get with just the MLE. Considering how weak their bench is, they might be able to get a decent rotation piece at that price.

Return to Golden State Warriors