Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Nuggets - Potential FA Signing 

Post#21 » by The Rebel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:38 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
TunaFish wrote:Someone correct me but I think P.J. Dozier has recently signed a 3 year contract.

I don't think he's signed - yet. But I do expect him to sign with Denver. I'm not sure what sort of rights Denver holds regarding matching and so forth.

He signed before the bubble according to Shams.

I believe that Bol signed a 2 year 2 way deal.

The way free agency works for guys coming off a 2 way deal is that they become restricted free agents if the Nuggets make a qualifying offer of a minimum salary deal. Most teams are converting guys and getting them to sign multi-year deals before their deal ends if they want to keep them. Bol actually maybe the one to watch next year. Most guys coming off a 2 way deal are not going to get a better offer than a minimum deal, but Bol may get considerably more than the minimum if he plays more games like he did in the bubble.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#22 » by THE J0KER » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:23 pm

Here is a reminder of Denver Nuggets original contracts key dates (those summer-related are a little bit rescheduled due to coronavirus break):

January 20, 2020
The contract of Bol Bol becomes fully guaranteed.
The contract of PJ Dozier becomes fully guaranteed.

June 29, 2020
Deadline for Jerami Grant‘s player option.

June 30, 2020
Bol Bol becomes a restricted free agent.
Jerami Grant becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Mason Plumlee becomes an unrestricted free agent.
The contract of Monte Morris becomes fully guaranteed.
Paul Millsap becomes an unrestricted free agent.
PJ Dozier becomes a restricted free agent.
Torrey Craig becomes an unrestricted free agent.

July 9, 2020
Will Barton becomes eligible for an extension.

July 10, 2020
Jerami Grant becomes eligible for an extension.

July 25, 2020
Monte Morris becomes eligible for an extension.

October 12, 2020
Gary Harris becomes eligible for an extension.

January 20, 2021
The contract of Bol Bol becomes fully guaranteed.

June 29, 2021
Deadline for Will Barton‘s player option.

June 30, 2021
Monte Morris becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Will Barton becomes an unrestricted free agent.

July 1, 2021
The contract of Vlatko Cancar becomes fully guaranteed.

July 6, 2021
Michael Porter Jr becomes eligible for a rookie scale extension.

July 9, 2021
Nikola Jokic becomes eligible for an extension.

August 1, 2021
Vlatko Cancar becomes eligible for an extension.

October 18, 2021
Deadline for Michael Porter Jr‘s rookie scale extension on his contract.

June 30, 2022
Gary Harris becomes an unrestricted free agent.
Vlatko Cancar becomes a restricted free agent.
Will Barton becomes an unrestricted free agent.

July 6, 2022
Nikola Jokic becomes eligible for a supermax extension if criteria is met.

July 24, 2022
Jamal Murray becomes eligible for an extension.

June 30, 2023
Nikola Jokic becomes an unrestricted free agent.

June 30, 2024
Jamal Murray becomes an unrestricted free agent.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#23 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:30 am

THE J0KER wrote:
June 29, 2020

June 30, 2020

July 9, 2020

July 10, 2020

July 25, 2020

October 12, 2020

[/quote]

Some of these deadlines have already passed because of Covid.

Does anyone know when Grant can opt out?
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#24 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:22 pm

Read an article suggesting the Nuggets sign Gallo back, one thing I noted from it was Gallo is in ring-chaser mode, he said it's more about the ring opportunity than the money. As long as he's OK coming off the bench, Gallo can still be an impactful scorer off the 2nd unit, something we can utilize to our advantage. Could also be a spot-starter at either F position. The only thing not to like is his age, he's already 32yo.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#25 » by psimanic1 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:48 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
June 29, 2020

June 30, 2020

July 9, 2020

July 10, 2020

July 25, 2020

October 12, 2020

Some of these deadlines have already passed because of Covid.

Does anyone know when Grant can opt out?[/quote]
They didnt make anythinf official yet about it, just that draft is 18th od November I think, and FA could start 1st of December, so somewhere in between maybe?
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#26 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:32 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Read an article suggesting the Nuggets sign Gallo back, one thing I noted from it was Gallo is in ring-chaser mode, he said it's more about the ring opportunity than the money. As long as he's OK coming off the bench, Gallo can still be an impactful scorer off the 2nd unit, something we can utilize to our advantage. Could also be a spot-starter at either F position. The only thing not to like is his age, he's already 32yo.

It's speculation and if money were no object maybe they would consider it. I am paying attention to the space above the cap but before tax. Grant is the domino that falls before we have any idea what the next steps are. The Nuggets have been careful about their salary structure, conveniently giving Murray a raise while ending Millsap's contract.

That indicates to me that the Nuggets are not planning to go into the luxury tax realm. Gallo could come back but where do the dollars line up even if he takes a veteran minimum? I would love to see him come off the bench though.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:Read an article suggesting the Nuggets sign Gallo back, one thing I noted from it was Gallo is in ring-chaser mode, he said it's more about the ring opportunity than the money. As long as he's OK coming off the bench, Gallo can still be an impactful scorer off the 2nd unit, something we can utilize to our advantage. Could also be a spot-starter at either F position. The only thing not to like is his age, he's already 32yo.

It's speculation and if money were no object maybe they would consider it. I am paying attention to the space above the cap but before tax. Grant is the domino that falls before we have any idea what the next steps are. The Nuggets have been careful about their salary structure, conveniently giving Murray a raise while ending Millsap's contract.

That indicates to me that the Nuggets are not planning to go into the luxury tax realm. Gallo could come back but where do the dollars line up even if he takes a veteran minimum? I would love to see him come off the bench though.

The only way I see Gallo being back is if we lose Grant, and even still I think there are better options out there for what we need at starting PF.
skywalker33

Post#28 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:07 pm

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

The only way I see Gallo being back is if we lose Grant, and even still I think there are better options out there for what we need at starting PF.

I only envision signing Gallo as a bench guy but he'd be very potent there.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:53 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

I only envision signing Gallo as a bench guy but he'd be very potent there.

The issue is limited money to fill needs. With the MLE we are going to have to sign a center and someone to replace Craig. If we lose Grant then you have to bring back Plumlee or find a way to trade for a C or starting PF. Then maybe you can use the MLE for Gallo.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#30 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:09 pm

If the price is right and we re-sign Grant, I would actually like Gallinari as a third forward (with Porter-Grant and sometimes Barton). Barton & Gallinari coming off the bench would provide plenty of scoring and both can actually work well with Jokic, for shorter periods. Gallinari probably fits a little better than Barton simply because his 3pt % is a little better (40% the last few years) and I think he gets to the FT line more often (haven't checked that). They are both capable at driving to the basket.
skywalker33

Post#31 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:50 am

The more I think about it, I really think Gallo can make the biggest impact as a free agent for this team. Off the bench, he'd provide scoring and rebounding, he's a good passer. He could play with Jokic very well also. His shooting along with Bol would present a lot of interesting matchup problems.

skywalker33

Post#32 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:14 am

Read on Twitter

ME LIKEY !!!! We're definitely on his radar, hope he's on ours !!

skywalker33

Post#33 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:22 am

Pretty decent projections from McBride, many names we've been putting out there ourselves, a few surprises too

https://milehighsports.com/2020-denver-nuggets-offseason-primer-addressing-roster-needs/

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by The Rebel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 am

skywalker33 wrote:Pretty decent projections from McBride, many names we've been putting out there ourselves, a few surprises too

https://milehighsports.com/2020-denver-nuggets-offseason-primer-addressing-roster-needs/

After all these years reporting on the Nuggets I thought he would have a basic concept of how the salary cap works.

The only way possible to go into the luxury tax is through huge trades or by re-signing or sign and trading a lot of guys. Even if we were to give Grant a contract starting at $18 million, with the cap hold for the 1st round pick, pay the full MLE, and the BAE we will still be under the luxury tax.

As for the guys he mentioned, I think if we end up with Alex Len as our backup Center than we have a problem.

I would rather bring back Craig than sign Harkless, even if it was a 2 year for $5 m per year deal for Craig. Harkless for all his hype is worse than Craig on both ends.

I am stealing your post and taking it to the trade thread, that is another conversation we should all have.
skywalker33

Post#35 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:09 pm

For me, not really interested in resigning Craig, he hasn't improved on this 3-pt consistency and I don't see him as a $5Myr player. Agree, Harkless is even worse so no desire there either.

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#36 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 pm

skywalker33 wrote:For me, not really interested in resigning Craig, he hasn't improved on this 3-pt consistency and I don't see him as a $5Myr player. Agree, Harkless is even worse so no desire there either.

At the same position, how about Justin Holiday UFA from Indiana?
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#37 » by skywalker33 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:19 pm

TunaFish wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:For me, not really interested in resigning Craig, he hasn't improved on this 3-pt consistency and I don't see him as a $5Myr player. Agree, Harkless is even worse so no desire there either.

I’d also look at Derrick Jones Jr

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#38 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:22 pm

I'd take Craig back as deep bench wing, but while $5m isn't a lot in the modern NBA, I'm not sure he goes that high.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#39 » by TunaFish » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:28 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

I’d also look at Derrick Jones Jr

After missing time early in the season with a groin strain and bruised hip, Jones played in every Heat game beginning Dec. 1, averaging 8.5 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.0 steals and 23.5 minutes per game in 59 appearances for the season, while shooting 52.7 percent overall and 28 percent on threes.

He logged 13 and 12 minutes in the first two playoff games but reached double figures in minutes only one other time and was a healthy scratch in six games, including Games 4 and 5 of the Finals.

He logged just 14 minutes in the series against Milwaukee, 30 minutes against Boston and 10 minutes against Los Angeles. Miami was outscored by 22 in those minutes against those teams, but plus/minus is often not a good measure of a player’s contribution and the Heat was already playing poorly in several of those games.

Jones’ final playoff averages: 1.5 points and 6.5 minutes.

And so the NBA’s 2020 Slam Dunk champion enters the offseason with some measure of uncertainty, unclear if Miami will try to re-sign him.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article246514150.html
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by The Rebel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:45 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:

I'd take Craig back as deep bench wing, but while $5m isn't a lot in the modern NBA, I'm not sure he goes that high.

I think you guys are missing the point. I am saying that I would heavily overpay for Craig over losing him and signing Harkless to replace him.

Return to Denver Nuggets