ImageImage

Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Re: Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards 

Post#101 » by amcoolio » Thu Oct 1, 2020 5:25 pm

Still waiting for someone to tell me why Edwards deserves to be a top 5 pick. Not raining down constant negativity I'm just generally curious why. What skills does he have that would translate to the NBA.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,165

Post#102 » by SWedd523 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:36 pm

amcoolio wrote:Still waiting for someone to tell me why Edwards deserves to be a top 5 pick. Not raining down constant negativity I'm just generally curious why. What skills does he have that would translate to the NBA.

Because Edwards is really the only guy among the top draft picks who you can see averaging 20+ a night.

I mean, sure, you have to stand on one foot during a new moon while balancing a hardboiled egg on your head and saying the alphabet backwards in Spanish in order to see it.

But it's there.

He also checks pretty much every block other than the mental/background portion of things... which is admittedly huge.

6'5/225 with long arms, plus athlete, relatively clean shooting form that can realistically extend to NBA three with development, solid out of the triple threat which bodes well for his "1st option scorer" outlook, can go to his weak hand on the drive relatively well, drives well, solid pull up game, potential to be a positive defender is there, so on, etc.

He's a good locker room and a good work ethic away from being an All-Star.

The question is if you believe he can catch on mentally and personality-wise.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#103 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:48 pm

My feeling at this point is that Edwards ends up being a bigger & slightly better Dion Waiters.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Rays Pompadour
Senior
And1: 418

Post#104 » by Rays Pompadour » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:57 pm

Makes me wonder if, after Minny takes Ball and Golden State takes Wiseman (or trades out), Charlotte will take a pass on Edwards? If Kupchak values BBIQ and complementary skills to a(n) elite skill, then I could see him going a different direction. But if the Hornets feel they have enough skill along the roster and not enough raw athleticism and size, then Edwards would be a terrific developmental choice.

Also, where's the buzz? I see the Euros getting some play and boards are all over Ball. Where's the juice for Edwards?
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#105 » by -Ian- » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:46 am

Read on Twitter

I seriously doubt we pick this guy. :lol: Although it's curious to see Buzz Peterson there instead of Mitch Kupchak. :banghead:
wilson115
Sixth Man
And1: 963

Post#106 » by wilson115 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:44 am

-Ian- wrote:
Read on Twitter

I seriously doubt we pick this guy. :lol: Although it's curious to see Buzz Peterson there instead of Mitch Kupchak. :banghead:

I don't know. With this kind of prospect it comes down to a gut check: do you as an owner, front office, or coaching staff have what it takes to grind away the flaws? -- This is MJ we're looking at here.
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#107 » by DY_nasty » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:24 pm

"2nd best" player? Guess we can take Edwards off the list lmao
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#108 » by LofJ » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 pm

DY_nasty wrote:"2nd best" player? Guess we can take Edwards off the list lmao

It's clipped off so you can't see it, but Edwards said at the bottom that he was kidding and that MJ is the GOAT.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#109 » by cornchip » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:41 am

Edwards workout on ESPN2 now for those interested.

Hard to get anything from shootarounds but he just physically already looks like a much talented player than Maxey (who I like alot).
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,045

Post#110 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:59 am

cornchip wrote:Edwards workout on ESPN2 now for those interested.

Hard to get anything from shootarounds but he just physically already looks like a much talented player than Maxey (who I like alot).

Hes a physical specimen
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,613

Post#111 » by fatlever » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:11 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#112 » by Soul Rebel » Mon Nov 2, 2020 5:04 pm

I see him as a poor man's Harden. Lacks the defensive prowess and drive/motor that Harden had coming out. Maybe it's the frame, the alpha mentality (or maybe that's ego/arrogance...not sure yet) and ability to score from pretty much anywhere, but I can see him being a beast to contain.

He has some serious concerns, but so does every prospect that will be available to us at 3. Pick your poison.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#113 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Nov 2, 2020 11:16 pm

Been watching film on Edwards including a clip where he analyzes his own strengths and weaknesses and he's extremely self-aware. Combine that awareness/mindset with his physical gifts and I really like his profile as a primary scorer / secondary playmaker. His coach coached D Wade and Oladipo. Seems a good mentor to help get a teen in the right mind frame to approach the NBA with work ethic and professionalism. He just sounds very coachable, admits his mistakes without struggle. Wants to get better. Understands development. Loves Jimmy Butler on defense. And John Wall.

I believe he goes #1 overall. Wolves have to convince teams they're unsure because they want bids on LaMelo and Lavar seems aware the top teams don't want him, insists he wants LaMelo to go to the Knicks (8) of all teams or Detroit (7) of all places (it's an armpit). Sounds like he hopes one of those teams will trade up to 1 or 2. The only thing I don't know is if the Wolves like Edwards enough to turn down a strong offer from the Pistons, Knicks, or maybe the Bulls or Suns.

So let's say Wolves find a deal for LaMelo with the most likely suspects, from the Knicks or Pistons.

In that scenario if the Warriors made it cheap to get to 2 for Edwards, I'm open to trading up. If not I'm okay taking Avdija or Edwards if he falls.

But I trust the Pistons or Knicks will trade up for Ball and the Warriors select Edwards for keeps.

I just can't see Edwards falling to 3 when he's the #1 player on most boards.

So we're looking at Avdija, Okongwu, Hayes, Wiseman or Toppin.
It has been written...
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,246

Post#114 » by luciano-davidwesley » Mon Nov 2, 2020 11:32 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:Been watching film on Edwards including a clip where he analyzes his own strengths and weaknesses and he's extremely self-aware. Combine that awareness/mindset with his physical gifts and I really like his profile as a primary scorer / secondary playmaker. His coach coached D Wade and Oladipo. Seems a good mentor to help get a teen in the right mind frame to approach the NBA with work ethic and professionalism. He just sounds very coachable, admits his mistakes without struggle. Wants to get better. Understands development. Loves Jimmy Butler on defense. And John Wall.

I believe he goes #1 overall. Wolves have to convince teams they're unsure because they want bids on LaMelo and Lavar seems aware the top teams don't want him, insists he wants LaMelo to go to the Knicks (8) of all teams or Detroit (7) of all places (it's an armpit). Sounds like he hopes one of those teams will trade up to 1 or 2. The only thing I don't know is if the Wolves like Edwards enough to turn down a strong offer from the Pistons, Knicks, or maybe the Bulls or Suns.

So let's say Wolves find a deal for LaMelo with the most likely suspects, from the Knicks or Pistons.

In that scenario if the Warriors made it cheap to get to 2 for Edwards, I'm open to trading up. If not I'm okay taking Avdija or Edwards if he falls.

But I trust the Pistons or Knicks will trade up for Ball and the Warriors select Edwards for keeps.

I can't see Toppin going top 3. There's maybe a 1% chance GS takes him at 2 but I think they go Deni if they don't pick one of the "consensus" top 3.
KevinPandawong
Junior
And1: 166

Post#115 » by KevinPandawong » Mon Nov 2, 2020 11:57 pm

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
I can't see Toppin going top 3. There's maybe a 1% chance GS takes him at 2 but I think they go Deni if they don't pick one of the "consensus" top 3.

Hey everyone, Bulls fan coming in peace. In a Ball/Avdija #1 and #2 scenario, what is Charlotte's board looking like from the perspective of fitting the roster rather than BPA?

I really like Okongwu in a trade down as a fit for the roster, but obviously you all know far better than I would.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,340

Post#116 » by MasterIchiro » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:01 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Been watching film on Edwards including a clip where he analyzes his own strengths and weaknesses and he's extremely self-aware. Combine that awareness/mindset with his physical gifts and I really like his profile as a primary scorer / secondary playmaker. His coach coached D Wade and Oladipo. Seems a good mentor to help get a teen in the right mind frame to approach the NBA with work ethic and professionalism. He just sounds very coachable, admits his mistakes without struggle. Wants to get better. Understands development. Loves Jimmy Butler on defense. And John Wall.

I think our guy is Edwards. And our backup is Avdija. But there's a good chance they go 1 -2. And we get stuck fishing for a deal for LaMelo. And I think we love Devonte' and Monk. LaMelo doesn't play defense and comes across like a diva. I just hate LaMelo for our culture. He's not sniffing the court with Steph. And I think Edwards goes 1. So yeah, Warriors likely avoid the learning curve and go with Avdija.

I'm not taking LaMelo at 3. Would try to get WCJ + 4 from the Bulls. I guess I'd include pick 32. So they take LaMelo 3 and we add WCJ. That really eliminates the need for Okongwu or Wiseman. Then we can narrow focus to Hayes, Haliburton or Toppin. Would love to walk away from the draft with WCJ + Toppin. But then we really are banking on Monk getting it together. Part of me wants to trade up to 1 for Edwards. Wolves would want Bridges + 3. Scum suckers.
It has been written...
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#117 » by BigSlam » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:34 am

KevinPandawong wrote:

Hey everyone, Bulls fan coming in peace. In a Ball/Avdija #1 and #2 scenario, what is Charlotte's board looking like from the perspective of fitting the roster rather than BPA?

I really like Okongwu in a trade down as a fit for the roster, but obviously you all know far better than I would.

This is a thread dedicated to discussing Anthony Edwards.

You are welcome to post generalised draft questions in the thread pinned above called “2020 draft discussion”.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
KevinPandawong
Junior
And1: 166

Post#118 » by KevinPandawong » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:44 am

BigSlam wrote:
KevinPandawong wrote:

You are welcome to post generalised draft questions in the thread pinned above called “2020 draft discussion”.

Thanks.

Perhaps I should've worded the question better. In the event that Edwards falls to #3; what prospects, if any, would Charlotte consider taking over him(BPA)?
driveandkick
Pro Prospect
And1: 434

Post#119 » by driveandkick » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:46 am

Soul Rebel wrote:I see him as a poor man's Harden. Lacks the defensive prowess and drive/motor that Harden had coming out. Maybe it's the frame, the alpha mentality (or maybe that's ego/arrogance...not sure yet) and ability to score from pretty much anywhere, but I can see him being a beast to contain.

He has some serious concerns, but so does every prospect that will be available to us at 3. Pick your poison.

I'd sign up for a poor man's Hardern in a nanosecond from this draft.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Prospect Thread: Anthony Edwards 

Post#120 » by BigSlam » Tue Nov 3, 2020 1:16 am

KevinPandawong wrote:
BigSlam wrote:
KevinPandawong wrote:

Thanks.

Perhaps I should've worded the question better. In the event that Edwards falls to #3; what prospects, if any, would Charlotte consider taking over him(BPA)?

Who knows? We’re just fans and have no idea what the draft board of the Charlotte front looks like.

We don’t have any super stars or all stars at any position though, so the assumption is they’ll just go BPA - whoever they think that might be.

B B M F 'ers

Return to Charlotte Hornets