Pacers Hire Nate Bjorkgren as Head Coach

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Re: Pacers Hire Nate Bjorkgren as Head Coach 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:52 pm

Tom White wrote:If anyone is interested, Bjorkgren's introductory press conference is/was today at 11:00AM. So it is either already on the Pacers website, or should be shortly.

I watched it live. very lengthy with lots of questions from reporters. bottom line is he is happy with the roster. he likes Domas and Myles and had positive interactions with Vic. look for a lot more 3's but with ball movement and variety on both offense and defense. all should take the time to watch it.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Some notes.

Wants to be more flexible. Play up to 12 on any given night and change rotations on a nightly basis. Lots of offensive and defensive systems will be interchanged. Coaches will do everything, not just specialize.

Sees Myles and Dom as complementary bigs and both dynamic talents that he wants to play together.

Had a whole team zoom call yesterday and Vic was excited and energetic (also, he’s full go and ramping up his offseason workout) like his old self. Also talked positively of re signing Oladipo “we can give him 5 years and a bump in salary others can’t”

Sabonis’ foot is getting better but still monitoring. He wants to play national team ball but we’ll see how it goes.

Otherwise, not a ton of specifics in terms of coaching staff or player moves or anything else.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Wants to be more flexible. Play up to 12 on any given night and change rotations on a nightly basis. Lots of offensive and defensive systems will be interchanged. Coaches will do everything, not just specialize.

Sees Myles and Dom as complementary bigs and both dynamic talents that he wants to play together.

this from coach.

Scoot McGroot wrote:Had a whole team zoom call yesterday and Vic was excited and energetic (also, he’s full go and ramping up his offseason workout) like his old self. Also talked positively of re signing Oladipo “we can give him 5 years and a bump in salary others can’t”

Sabonis’ foot is getting better but still monitoring. He wants to play national team ball but we’ll see how it goes.

this more from Pritchard

Scoot McGroot wrote:Otherwise, not a ton of specifics in terms of coaching staff or player moves or anything else.

as you said above, coach did say wanted generalists on staff. he responded positively about questions about roster. he said Toronto players respected the Pacer players. I got the impression that no major player moves are coming. I've written before that the new coach should like the roster and come in with a plan to get them to succeed. I liked what Nate had to say.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#45 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:04 pm

years ago when I was in the freight business we had a rule that when we were interviewing potential sales people that if they came to the interview without a resume they would not be hired. our thinking was that if they didn't come to the interview prepared, they'd call on our customers unprepared. I see a parallel here with prospects needing to show up prepared to explain their plan for the current roster.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Personally, after seeing what Toronto has done with athletic combo forwards, I'd like to see Alize come back. As an athletic guy at the 3/4 that can rebound, defend a little, and hit the 3, seems like he could really provide something helpful and fill a hole that we clearly have off the bench. It just seems like Nate and his assistants had no interest in Alize or that style of young player, but Toronto loved, developed, and thrived with players in his build and style of play.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:22 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Personally, after seeing what Toronto has done with athletic combo forwards, I'd like to see Alize come back.

I don't remember OG starting out as a great shooter.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#48 » by Pacersike » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:36 pm

The downside of those die hard positivo's is that miss more easily the negatives.

Vogel protecting Hibbert to a point where 4 0 points games in the playoffs was acceptable, becuz you know always stay positive...

I'm very happy with new Nate, but as Montieth as pointed out, our ex Nate would have done better if he had new Nate as an assistant.

Go Pacers :D
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Pacersike wrote:The downside of those die hard positivo's is that miss more easily the negatives.

Vogel protecting Hibbert to a point where 4 0 points games in the playoffs was acceptable, becuz you know always stay positive...

I don't remember it that way. I have read that Hibbert's downfall was he totally lost confidence in himself when we brought in another high profile center. some positivity from the organization might have saved him.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Wizop wrote:
Pacersike wrote:The downside of those die hard positivo's is that miss more easily the negatives.

I don't remember it that way. I have read that Hibbert's downfall was he totally lost confidence in himself when we brought in another high profile center. some positivity from the organization might have saved him.

David West has spoken repeatedly about this lately. He didn't love basketball until he was really good in the NBA, he lost confidence with the Bynum mid-season signing, and Frank was trying to help rebuild his confidence, but had to bench him once or twice and he just totally lost the will to play.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#51 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:56 pm

Stan VG hired in New Orleans so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the assistants there. Finch could be without a job.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:08 pm

Wizop wrote:Stan VG hired in New Orleans so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the assistants there. Finch could be without a job.

Finch is heavily rumored to replace Bjorkgren in Toronto on Nurse’s staff.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Wizop
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Finch is heavily rumored to replace Bjorkgren in Toronto on Nurse’s staff.

I want some minority hires anyway. wasn't McMillan's son on the New Orleans staff? that'd be ironic.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#55 » by Jake0890 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Got to watch some of the press conference while at work today. Still really like the hire and I'm excited to see what he does with the offense. There was also a comment made about the fact that the Pacers have begun to assemble the assistant coaches - it'll be very interesting to see who Nate goes with. Seems like he envisions them being head coach lite as Nurse treated his assistants in Toronto.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Got to watch some of the press conference while at work today. Still really like the hire and I'm excited to see what he does with the offense. There was also a comment made about the fact that the Pacers have begun to assemble the assistant coaches - it'll be very interesting to see who Nate goes with. Seems like he envisions them being head coach lite as Nurse treated his assistants in Toronto.

Yes. Tony East also offhandedly mentioned, but wouldn't go deeper, that there's a good possibility that an assistant that interviewed for the head job may join the assistant staff.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#57 » by Pacersike » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:25 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

David West has spoken repeatedly about this lately. He didn't love basketball until he was really good in the NBA, he lost confidence with the Bynum mid-season signing, and Frank was trying to help rebuild his confidence, but had to bench him once or twice and he just totally lost the will to play.

I have read that. At the end of the day it is up to Roy to pull it together mentally.

I very much dislike how some fans and David talk about O'brien. The Pacers coaches I experienced were all good at least and none were awesome. Tough coaches can make you tougher mentally. O'brien also helped Hibbert toughen up, so appreciate that also.

Both Frank and Jim were probably too extreme on opposite ends, but they still have to invent blenders for people :D
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#58 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Got to watch some of the press conference while at work today. Still really like the hire and I'm excited to see what he does with the offense. There was also a comment made about the fact that the Pacers have begun to assemble the assistant coaches - it'll be very interesting to see who Nate goes with. Seems like he envisions them being head coach lite as Nurse treated his assistants in Toronto.

Dad gum this Nate to Nate thing is confusing. I'm reading your post thinking why in the hell is he still talking about McMillan :lol: . Agree with your points now that my bourbon fog has lifted and I'm aware of my surroundings.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:49 pm

Pacersike wrote:I very much dislike how some fans and David talk about O'brien.

O'Brien was the only coach I ever interacted with socially. a business partner of my ex was his neighbor and helped him get some services for a child and so I met him at parties at her house and once sat next to him at a charitable event and talked basketball. I can't say I talked him into trying any of my ideas.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#60 » by Tom White » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:31 pm

Wizop wrote:I can't say I talked him into trying any of my ideas.

HA! Never met the man, but he didn't seem like the kind of guy who was open to trying ideas from outside his wheelhouse. Or from outside, period.

Return to Indiana Pacers