PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics]

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Re: PC Board OT Thread Take 4 [No Politics] 

Post#741 » by Goudelock » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:41 am

RIP to the General Board mods. As someone who was a mod there for two and a half years, the thought of having to moderate after LeBron's team won a finals is a harrowing one.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,709

Post#742 » by Texas Chuck » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
limbo wrote:
It's like if we were making a GOAT list for Physicists. Who would be #1 on that list? ...

I think any GOAT list for physicists would HAVE to include Newton, probably at #1. You can take into account the greater difficulty of making fundamental discoveries in later eras but even with that Newton's impact is so much greater, he should be favored over the modern Nobel laureate of the year.

Not to say someone can't revolutionize physics the way Newton did, or Einstein with relativity, or Heisenberg, etc. but if they don't, they don't belong in the discussion even though they may know everything Newton, Einstein, or Heisenberg did.

Moving this over here because it's getting a bit off-topic and don't want to derail the project further, but I just finished reading Matt Ridley's new book on innovation and he makes some good points about inevitable inventions of which there are many. Some of the people credited for inventing things as important as the light bulb or the automobile or the airplane were just one of many working on the same issue at the same time and those things were all going to happen within a period of years regardless.

Newton's leap was not one of those. Nor was Russell's. These were massive steps forward that obviously would have eventually happened but they weren't inevitable in the short-term.

But Harden for instance is a natural progression from guys who came before only he pushed the envelope further. Luka is going to be the next evolution in the same path. Even Nash was something that was coming even if it wasn't him specifically.

Russell wasn't just doing new things defensively. He was doing all the "wrong" things but he knew they were actually the right things and so he did them over objections. Who knows how long we wait before a big with elite physical skills would have figured that out or gotten paired with a coach who figured it out and got his player to buy in.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#743 » by Goudelock » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Is anybody here watching the NLCS right now? I've lowkey become a Braves fan and I love how much they showboat, partially because it seems to piss off all the old-timers and people over 50.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#744 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 am

Edit - It's not what you think...
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#745 » by Clyde Frazier » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:43 pm

Goudelock wrote:Is anybody here watching the NLCS right now? I've lowkey become a Braves fan and I love how much they showboat, partially because it seems to piss off all the old-timers and people over 50.

Read on Twitter

:lol:

[will always hate the braves as a mets fan but otherwise agree]
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,709

Post#746 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Haven't watched baseball in years, but glad those cheating Astros are out. Still can't believe how little consequence there was for literally stealing a world series and how many people's dreams they crushed by costing players, managers, and coaches jobs.

I think the rest of baseball should have just literally hit every Astros hitter until their entire lineup was tossed forfeiting to Houston and then doing it again the next day and the next. MLB wouldn't be able to just suspend everyone without looking even worse than they did with how poorly they managed that.

And all of those players should have been blackballed. They can keep playing in Houston as long as the Astros will have them, but no other teams should have touched any of them. No acknowledging them at all-star games nothing. Just total pariahs.

It would be one thing if they had shown any remorse, but basically none of them did and most of them just doubled down. What an epic clown show.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#747 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:32 am

I'm not sure why the MLB couldn't have given the death penalty or something. Make them play out the regular season but have no chance at making the playoffs. Idk.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#748 » by Goudelock » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Goudelock wrote:Is anybody here watching the NLCS right now? I've lowkey become a Braves fan and I love how much they showboat, partially because it seems to piss off all the old-timers and people over 50.

Alright, well now I can say I have completed the Atlanta sports fan experience of believing victory is imminent, and then getting disappointed shortly thereafter.

Go Braves :banghead:
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,482

Post#749 » by Jaivl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:18 am

Odinn21 wrote:I'd like to see some lists like we had in the past; top 10 or 12 seasons between two players. In this case, some of the possible two player selections;
Russell vs. Garnett
Abdul-Jabbar vs. Garnett
Chamberlain vs. Garnett
Duncan vs. Garnett
O'Neal vs. Garnett

(Spoiler alert, Garnett ain't coming ahead in those.)

We could go on with
Magic vs. Garnett
Bird vs. Garnett
Olajuwon vs. Garnett

I mean, if we are going down Garnett road, why not include Nowitzki?
Nowitzki vs. Garnett

Robinson had a similar career to Garnett. Not only that, he was also at the top on +/- data like Garnett. Many similarities between them.
Robinson vs. Garnett

Spoiler:
For example, for me KG vs Bird looks like

2004 Garnett
1986 Bird
2003 Garnett
1987 Bird
1985 Bird
1984 Bird
2002 Garnett
2008 Garnett
2005 Garnett
2001 Garnett

And you don't wanna take a look at my KG vs Dirk.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#750 » by Odinn21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Odinn21 wrote:I'd like to see some lists like we had in the past; top 10 or 12 seasons between two players. In this case, some of the possible two player selections;
Russell vs. Garnett
Abdul-Jabbar vs. Garnett
Chamberlain vs. Garnett
Duncan vs. Garnett
O'Neal vs. Garnett

We could go on with
Magic vs. Garnett
Bird vs. Garnett
Olajuwon vs. Garnett

Nowitzki vs. Garnett

Robinson had a similar career to Garnett. Not only that, he was also at the top on +/- data like Garnett. Many similarities between them.
Robinson vs. Garnett

Spoiler:

2004 Garnett
1986 Bird
2003 Garnett
1987 Bird
1985 Bird
1984 Bird
2002 Garnett
2008 Garnett
2005 Garnett
2001 Garnett

And now do it for Russell, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Duncan and O'Neal to put Garnett in the top 5.

It's already obvious that Bird, Magic, Nowitzki, Robinson comparisons are the more arguable ones. Why don't you give it a shot at Chamberlain vs. Garnett.

2001 Garnett over 1982, 1983, 1988 Bird is a joke BTW.
1984 was Bird's strongest season after 1986. You can't even get that one right... And then there's a meme like it's so obvious and right.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#751 » by Jaivl » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:56 pm

Odinn21 wrote:
Jaivl wrote:
Russell vs. Garnett
Abdul-Jabbar vs. Garnett
Chamberlain vs. Garnett
Duncan vs. Garnett
O'Neal vs. Garnett

We could go on with
Magic vs. Garnett
Bird vs. Garnett
Olajuwon vs. Garnett

Nowitzki vs. Garnett

Robinson vs. Garnett

Spoiler:

2004 Garnett
1986 Bird
2003 Garnett
1987 Bird
1985 Bird
1984 Bird
2002 Garnett
2008 Garnett
2005 Garnett
2001 Garnett

And now do it for Russell, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, Duncan and O'Neal to put Garnett in the top 5.

It's already obvious that Bird, Magic, Nowitzki, Robinson comparisons are the more arguable ones. Why don't you give it a shot at Chamberlain vs. Garnett.

2001 Garnett over 1982, 1983, 1988 Bird is a joke BTW.
1984 was Bird's strongest season after 1986. You can't even get that one right... And then there's a meme like it's so obvious and right.

Well, I've done that years ago, and KG ends up as my #8 by 10-year primes (barely ahead of Bird). But, obviously, that's intentionally and arbitrarily limiting the scope in terms of GOAT full-career evaluation, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove there.

The meme is... well, a meme. It's not meant to hold any kind of weight as an argument, it's meant to be funny (or try to). But whatever, that comment, your general tone and the Bird snide remark (edit: just to clarify 84-85-87 is basically the same caliber of player in my eyes) shows you're clearly very emotional about the topic at hand, not gonna engage anymore.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
Odinn21
Analyst
And1: 2,937

Post#752 » by Odinn21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:14 pm

Jaivl wrote:Well, I've done that years ago, and KG ends up as my #8 by 10-year primes (barely ahead of Bird). But, obviously, that's intentionally and arbitrarily limiting the scope in terms of GOAT full-career evaluation, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove there.

The meme is... well, a meme. It's not meant to hold any kind of weight as an argument, it's meant to be funny (or try to). But whatever, that comment, your general tone and the Bird snide remark shows you're clearly very emotional about the topic at hand, not gonna engage anymore.

I'm not used to see memes in here like this is Reddit, so I took it differently than being funny.

I'm higher on Garnett than most, I'm also lower than some of us in here. You quoted from me the top 100 projects and I'd assume you knew that I was talking about Garnett not being a top 5 ever. The current vote is for #4 spot. And if someone has Garnett in their ballots, they're basically saying Garnett is top 5 ever, top 6 at worst.
Garnett doesn't have enough to put himself on there. Which you look like you agree with.

Like I said, I mentioned Magic, Bird, Nowitzki and Robinson as better names to compare Garnett with.
The issue with per75 numbers;
36pts on 27 fga/9 fta in 36 mins, does this mean he'd keep up the efficiency to get 48pts on 36fga/12fta in 48 mins?
The answer; NO. He's human, not a linearly working machine.
Per75 is efficiency rate, not actual production.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#753 » by Clyde Frazier » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:09 am

Read on Twitter

Great thread!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#754 » by GSP » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Khabib is the 2nd Goat behind Georges wow what a performance
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,652

Post#755 » by GSP » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:28 am

E-Balla wrote:
GSP wrote:
E-Balla wrote:I'm guessing you didn't see much of him in college? We'll see how he's holding up week to week...

I didnt have much time to follow college this past season besides some Burrow/Lsu games

Could be b/c Chiefs defense is ass but he looked like a tank

Nah it's not just the Chiefs defense. He's one of the most insanely inconsistent college QBs I've seen though and his coaches didn't trust him to throw beyond the LOS. Like 40% of his completions were screens I think. He can play, but the mental part is his problem.

Herbert looks legit so far dude...............
Lakers LeBron
Senior
And1: 1,679

Post#756 » by Lakers LeBron » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:25 pm

What if Kevin Garnett shot 3s has to be an all-time "what if" for the NBA. KG for his career took 31% of his shots in the 16-3P range and hit 45.4% of them. Reportedly in practice he would routinely nail 3s, but in games he would always make sure he was a foot inside the 3P line. The ability for KG to be a real threat from distance was clearly there and you have to wonder what would have happened to his already great advanced stats if he was hitting even one or two threes a game at a 35-40% clip
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#757 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:10 am

I believe the pre season favorite won the title in every sport (Lightning, Lakers, Dodgers). I think it's a good thing it ended up that way instead of wacky out of nowhere champion in bubble environment.
Jordan Syndrome
Sixth Man
And1: 1,425

Post#758 » by Jordan Syndrome » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:45 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I believe the pre season favorite won the title in every sport (Lightning, Lakers, Dodgers). I think it's a good thing it ended up that way instead of wacky out of nowhere champion in bubble environment.

Clippers were +425 and Lakers were +450
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#759 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:41 pm

I think this thread should be pre-emptively locked on Tuesday
Jaivl
Head Coach

Post#760 » by Jaivl » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:19 pm

GSP wrote:Khabib is the 2nd Goat behind Georges wow what a performance

You totally butchered that "Aldo" spelling, my god

Return to Player Comparisons