ImageImageImageImageImage

Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

icoholic
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Re: Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed 

Post#81 » by icoholic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:28 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:I hope the federal government doesn't pull the same nonsense that they did with the Jays.

There won't be fans, what is the risk to the general public?

How was it nonsense? Why are sports above all?

Because I think it's important to maintain some semblance of normalcy during these unprecedented times. These are beloved teams.

I vote liberal but was very happy when Doug Ford said he had no issue with the Jays playing in Toronto. As soon as I heard it would be the Federal Government's call, I knew they would be against it.

And lets be real, it's not because of the risk. It's because they're liberal and don't want to make an exception because someone might think it's unfair that only the most popular sports teams are allowed to play.

Do you realize that a majority of the population doesn't really give a hoot about sports? Nevermind that there wasn't going to be fans at the SkyDome anyway... so fans were free to watch on TV. I don't think home-field advantage matters on TV.

Secondly, it would be unfair for professional sports to be regulated differently than any other businesses. Thankfully the St Louis Cardinals didn't visit Toronto this year.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,085

Post#82 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:29 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:I hope the federal government doesn't pull the same nonsense that they did with the Jays.

The risk is the all the teams coming to the city - presumably staying at hotels, visiting restaurants, and other... ermm... establishments, taking taxis, and generally fraternizing with the locals.

I would guess hotels have procedures in place to minimize the risk to their staff. Indoor dining is restricted, strip clubs are closed, I would assume you have to wear a mask while taking a taxi. The restrictions are only going to get stricter the more we move into winter.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think it's worth orphaning our teams to decrease the risk by a fraction of a percent.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#83 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:31 am

icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:
How was it nonsense? Why are sports above all?

Because I think it's important to maintain some semblance of normalcy during these unprecedented times. These are beloved teams.

I vote liberal but was very happy when Doug Ford said he had no issue with the Jays playing in Toronto. As soon as I heard it would be the Federal Government's call, I knew they would be against it.

And lets be real, it's not because of the risk. It's because they're liberal and don't want to make an exception because someone might think it's unfair that only the most popular sports teams are allowed to play.

Do you realize that a majority of the population doesn't really give a hoot about sports?

Secondly, it would be unfair for professional sports to be regulated differently than any other businesses. Thankfully the St Louis Cardinals didn't visit Toronto this year.

Because we'd be in a much worse position if the Cardinals came to Toronto?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,427

Post#84 » by Brinbe » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:39 am

The Kentucky Raptors
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,816

Post#85 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:49 am

Read on Twitter

wtf loool
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
icoholic
Pro Prospect

Post#86 » by icoholic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:54 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:

Do you realize that a majority of the population doesn't really give a hoot about sports?

:crazy:
xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#87 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:05 am

icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:

:crazy:

Knew you wouldn't have a logical response to that. Maybe you should go hide in your basement until there's a vaccine. :lol:
prelude00
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#88 » by prelude00 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:08 am

Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,575

Post#89 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:24 am

Louisville Raps it is..
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#90 » by Vaclac » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:26 am

We should offer to play in Rockford next year in exchange for a hometown discount from FVV.
Vaclac
Junior
And1: 178

Post#91 » by Vaclac » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:28 am

In all seriousness they actually should pick a zero income tax state if there won't be fans anyway. May as well be nice to the players.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#92 » by dalton749 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 am

The league would be smart to try somewhere that they are considering expanding to. It’s a risk free trial run plus it would be cool to gain more future fans from a random US city due to the 1 year honeymoon.
beanbag
Analyst
And1: 4,391

Post#93 » by beanbag » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:18 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

The risk is the all the teams coming to the city - presumably staying at hotels, visiting restaurants, and other... ermm... establishments, taking taxis, and generally fraternizing with the locals.

I would guess hotels have procedures in place to minimize the risk to their staff. Indoor dining is restricted, strip clubs are closed, I would assume you have to wear a mask while taking a taxi. The restrictions are only going to get stricter the more we move into winter.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think it's worth orphaning our teams to decrease the risk by a fraction of a percent.

Honestly, what do you care where they play when no one is going to be allowed in the arena anyway? Whether they play in Toronto, Kentucky, or Timbuktu, you can watch them on TV the same way.
Salted Meat
Starter
And1: 1,572

Post#94 » by Salted Meat » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:30 am

If the border is still closed, it's because the threat of Covid in the U.S. is still very real.

If that's the case, I can't see the NBA existing in its usual format where teams travel from city to city. If Covid is still prevalent in America, I can easily see them going back to a bubble format, but maybe with the possibility of having limited fans socially distanced behind plexiglass.
Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Post#95 » by Raptors_128 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 am

Imagine we played in San Diego. That would be hilarious.
icoholic
Pro Prospect

Post#96 » by icoholic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm

beanbag wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

Honestly, what do you care where they play when no one is going to be allowed in the arena anyway? Whether they play in Toronto, Kentucky, or Timbuktu, you can watch them on TV the same way.

He is not a bright fellow.

No personal attacks. duff
xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#97 » by xAIRNESSx » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:34 pm

icoholic wrote:
beanbag wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:

From the guy replying with personal attacks and emojis. :lol:
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,861

Post#98 » by ItsDanger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:52 pm

This was available for a while now but working out details does take time. Could impact Raptors as this was their biggest hurdle. Crossing border to US might be easier, it was coming back here and the opposing teams.

Read on Twitter
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
icoholic
Pro Prospect

Post#99 » by icoholic » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 am

xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:
beanbag wrote:

Dude.... you're an idiot about basketball and an enormous idiot about the world. You continually try to take over threads with your idiotic political rants.

It's always amazing how you keyboard retards are always so offended by "personal attacks" after dealing out personal attacks.

However, the idiot moderators like Duffman, who is hated by nearly everyone on RealGM let's this **** go. (I have 6 other accounts, ban this if you want Duffman).

This board has become a toilet bowl of stupid, and I blame the moderators. How the **** is Duffman allowed to control anything?
xAIRNESSx
RealGM

Post#100 » by xAIRNESSx » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:18 am

icoholic wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:
icoholic wrote:

Dude.... you're an idiot about basketball and an enormous idiot about the world. You continually try to take over threads with your idiotic political rants.

It's always amazing how you keyboard retards are always so offended by "personal attacks" after dealing out personal attacks.

However, the idiot moderators like Duffman, who is hated by nearly everyone on RealGM let's this **** go. (I have 6 other accounts, ban this if you want Duffman).

This board has become a toilet bowl of stupid, and I blame the moderators. How the **** is Duffman allowed to control anything?

Real mature bro.

Look at our exchange in this thread. I make the point that the government is against making an exception due to fairness, which you for some reiterate.

I could then choose to either address your assertion about the majority of Canadians not caring about sports or the nonsense you added about the Cardinals.

What point were you even trying to make with that? Did the Cards even travel after they tested positive? I ask a legitimate question about how much worse it would've made the things up here (since that is your supposed concern) and you throw a hissy fit.

Return to Toronto Raptors