ImageImageImageImageImage

Number 1 Need

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Re: Number 1 Need 

Post#21 » by TucsonClip » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:57 am

Bringing back Trez really doesnt make sense unless its on some sort of 1 year deal to reset his free agency to next offseason. Zu needs more minutes and we need a more diverse option behind him, ideally someone who can space the floor like Ibaka or Gasol.

I dont see anyway you can bring back Lou and Trez and upgrade the roster, and I can easily make the case its time to move on from both guys. Lou will be easy to move, its all about what we would be willing to package with him in order to upgrade in an area.

The case for Bev to be moved can also be made quite easily. Bill Simmons brought up a Dinwiddie for Pat deal, which I would be all over if I am the Clippers. That brings in someone who can control the offense and also offer shot creation and some scoring ability. It also then frees us up to deal Lou.

I think you need to find a way to bring Morris and Green back, as they provide options for Lue to play small and keep the floor spread.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#22 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:48 am

agree
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:32 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Bringing back Trez really doesnt make sense unless its on some sort of 1 year deal to reset his free agency to next offseason. Zu needs more minutes and we need a more diverse option behind him, ideally someone who can space the floor like Ibaka or Gasol.

I dont see anyway you can bring back Lou and Trez and upgrade the roster, and I can easily make the case its time to move on from both guys. Lou will be easy to move, its all about what we would be willing to package with him in order to upgrade in an area.

The case for Bev to be moved can also be made quite easily. Bill Simmons brought up a Dinwiddie for Pat deal, which I would be all over if I am the Clippers. That brings in someone who can control the offense and also offer shot creation and some scoring ability. It also then frees us up to deal Lou.

I think you need to find a way to bring Morris and Green back, as they provide options for Lue to play small and keep the floor spread.

Dinwiddle and Pat trade would be exciting for both teams.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#24 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:12 pm

I agree we need a playmaking guard as our #1 priority; a 25 mpg guy would be fine. And, tbh, I really think we ought to be looking to upgrade at the other guard position too. Sham is fine. He’s …there. But he didn’t improve much if at all last year, and doesn’t move the needle much. I’d be up for a backcourt overhaul. Love the idea of going after Dinwiddie, but don’t know if our assets would agree to a sign and trade. And I don’t think a package built around Pat can do it.

Other options--I think we should go after Kris Dunn. He shot badly from behind the arc this year, and I think that will hurt him in free agency. But I think shooting will come back for the most part—and he’s a great defending, great passing PG.

If not that, and we wanted to trade—man, I would by trying incredibly hard to get Tyus Jones. With Ja Morant there and the surplus of guards in Memphis, he’s potentially available. Decent shooter and defender, outstanding playmaker and overall smart player. He’ll make around 8 million next year and he's probably not worth that to Memphis, who is really guard heavy. But he’s worth that as a player and he’d be especially worth that for us.

We also need a 4/5 that can actually play at the 5 and can stretch the court a little. I said this last year, I’ll say it again now because it’s a low cost, low risk, high return move. Sign Noah Vonleh. Good size (6’10” 250, 7’4” wingspan). Has some range (around .315 from behind the line). Adequate passer and defender. Good motor; runs the court well. 25 years old. A guy like that simply helps. He started a lot of games in Portland a few years ago, in 2015-8, and was a very effective 15-20 mpg player on a good team. We could probably get him for the veteran’s minimum, and he’d be a good, young, rotation level player.

There are other things on my mind, but I’d start with those.
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 528

Post#25 » by Kelphus » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Point guard yes #1
Backup center #2 - Is Noah a possibility? Why was he hired then essentially banished, did they see some huge liability in his game? Trezz' price may have dropped just as much as his performance dropped in the playoffs. I wouldn't be too sure he is gone.
With very little cap space (basically zero plus exceptions), and no draft until 2050 (at least it seems like it) I don't see the team doing much in the off-season. New season starts sometime in January, supposedly teams will get 8 weeks notice of start date. Not sure why Silver isn't extending regular season into may to allow more games to be played... a 3 month season?
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#26 » by Forte IV » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:26 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Bringing back Trez really doesnt make sense unless its on some sort of 1 year deal to reset his free agency to next offseason. Zu needs more minutes and we need a more diverse option behind him, ideally someone who can space the floor like Ibaka or Gasol.

The problem with trying to trade LOU is that he has said time and time again the Clippers are the last team he'll play for. I doubt a team would want to trade him for him when he could just retire on the spot. Only tam I think he'd willingly go to is back to Atlanta.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,261

Post#27 » by nickhx2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:04 pm

you don't think lou would go back to 76ers? i feel like he would but who really knows
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#28 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Teams that can Challenge the Lakers

By

The Athletic - John Hollinger

TIER I: Legitimately threatening

LA Clippers: Everybody thought they’d be meeting up with the Lakers in a classic conference finals series until the Clips shockingly ran out of gas against Denver. That said, this remains a hugely talented team, and one that still has prime Kawhi Leonard. Can they get Paul George back on track after a rough playoffs? Can they find the right surrounding pieces? Can they figure out why they were so bad in second halves against Denver?

The Clippers most valuable regular-season players last season were Leonard, George, Ivica Zubac, Patrick Beverley and Montrezl Harrell. Three of them — George, Harrell, and Beverley — were orders of magnitude worse in the playoffs, contributing to L.A.’s surprising second-round collapse. Harrell is a free agent and may walk, and LA has other free agency issues to tackle (Marcus Morris, possibly JaMychal Green).

But the Clips also have opportunities. Familiarity alone could help push them forward. Leonard and George were playing their first season together, and Morris didn’t join until February. Can they get Landry Shamet’s shooting into the mix more regularly? Can they make more use of “smallball 5” lineups with Green or Morris in the middle? Can their exception money produce another playoff performer?

The transition to Tyronn Lue from the departed Doc Rivers is the final wild card. Lue has a proven pedigree from guiding Cleveland to the title in 2016, but some of the Clippers’ issues seemed to go beyond coaching. On paper, this is a top-2 seed in the West with the talent to go toe-to-toe with the Lakers, but on paper, the Clippers were a conference finalist in 2019-20 too.

UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#29 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:48 am

LA Clippers Free Agents List

Montrezl Harrell

Marcus Morris Sr.

JaMychal Green (player)

Patrick Patterson

Johnathan Motley (restricted)

Reggie Jackson

Paul George (player)

Kawhi Leonard (player)

Joakim Noah

Lou Williams

Amir Coffey (restricted)
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#30 » by TheNewEra » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 pm

Please don’t bring back Harrell under any circumstance
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#31 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 am

Projected max and exception values

Max (10-plus years of service)

Starting salary: $38.2 million

Five-year max (incumbent team): $221.6 million

Four-year max (cap space team): $164.3 million

Projected players: None

Max (7-9 years of service)

Starting salary: $32.7 million

Five-year max (incumbent team): $189.9 million

Four-year max (cap space team): $140.8 million

Projected players: Anthony Davis

Max (0-6 years of service)

Starting salary: $27.3 million

Five-year max (incumbent team): $158.3 million

Four-year max (cap space team): $117.3 million

Projected players: Brandon Ingram

Full midlevel exception

Starting salary: $9.3 million

Four-year max: $39.8 million

Applies to teams over the cap but under the tax

Taxpayer midlevel exception

Starting salary: $5.7 million

Three-year max: $18 million

Applies to teams over the tax or teams that do not want to trigger the hard cap

Room exception

Starting salary: $4.8 million

Two-year max (cap space team): $9.8 million

Bi-annual exception

Starting salary: $3.6 million

Two-year max (cap space team): $7.4 million
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#32 » by Clemenza » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:44 am

A point guard should be the top priority
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#33 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Clemenza wrote:A point guard should be the top priority

Would you give Rondo a two year deal $15 million?
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 147

Post#34 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 pm

I think our number 1 need right now is a good Point Guard and a decent Center.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#35 » by TheNewEra » Tue Dec 1, 2020 11:10 pm

Welp is the need still a pG and a wing?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers