Pacers Hire Nate Bjorkgren as Head Coach

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Pacers Hire Nate Bjorkgren as Head Coach 

Post#61 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:11 pm

After seeing the work Toronto did with Fred Van Vleet, I’m also excited to see Aaron Holiday this year.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#62 » by Topofthekey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Need to find the playing time for that

Between Aaron, Sumner, TJM, and Lamb when he returns, someone's going to be left neglected on the bench

Aaron and Sumner need continued development. Lamb is too expensive (and effective of a backup) to be a bench warmer. TJM helps win regular season games and is so entertaining to watch
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Need to find the playing time for that

Between Aaron, Sumner, TJM, and Lamb when he returns, someone's going to be left neglected on the bench

Aaron and Sumner need continued development. Lamb is too expensive (and effective of a backup) to be a bench warmer. TJM helps win regular season games and is so entertaining to watch

I see Aaron elevating himself over all the rest, ultimately. Partially why I think that McDermott/McConnell could be moved this year. Add Justin Holiday back with the MLE, and bring along a new developmental wing under all of them in the 2nd or whatever Doug/TJ bring back.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#64 » by Wizop » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:53 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:After seeing the work Toronto did with Fred Van Vleet, I’m also excited to see Aaron Holiday this year.
Toronto sure made a small backcourt work. Aaron has the FVV body type and an affordable contract

And I'm also willing to move McConnell. His lack of range could be a problem in the new scheme.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#65 » by fbalmeida » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:36 am

The more I imagine Nate coaching the Pacers, the happier I get for you guys.

The path he and Nurse took to reach to the pinnacle of success at their profession is absolutely admirable: they slowly clawed their ascension with hard work and years of toiling in lesser leagues. Nurse and Nate never spared anyone the memory that they've won titles at every level they've coached.

Their philosophy is perfectly horizontal and great at getting the players to buy in and contribute their ideas. But he's also demanding, particularly on the defensive end. If you play for Nurse, you won't see the floor until you've put in the work and mastered the base-defensive scheme and rotations in practice.

And he'll give zero **** about calling you out on it in public.

I imagine Nate will apply the same doctrine with his teams.

I see Dipo and Turner buying in. I see the Pacers wedging themselves into the top 4 seeds and leaving ESPN's talking heads scratching their noggins. Brogdon, Dipo, Warren, Turner, Sabonis, and a nice bench, coached by Nurse's wingman? I think that's a 55 win team.

Things can shift If Dipo and Turner have indeed one foot out the door, but I see them waiting for a look-see and buying in.

You're conference opponents, but I've got a soft spot for the Pacers as illustrious members of the NBA's often ignored club. I think it's a good time to be a Pacers fan right now.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#66 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:36 am

I don't know much about Bjorkgren except for the fact that he is Nurse's right hand man. Not totally unexpected as the rumor mill's been running high over other possible first time head coaches. I am not too excited but not disappointed at all. If the front office saw something in him that stands out among the others then we gotta trust that. I was rooting for MDA for a possible "quicker" result, but yeah, in KP we trust.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#67 » by Topofthekey » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:45 am

In KP we trust
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:13 pm

Sounds like Dan Craig, Kenny Atkinson and Chauncey Billups are all taking jobs on the Clippers staff.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#69 » by pacers33granger » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sounds like Dan Craig, Kenny Atkinson and Chauncey Billups are all taking jobs on the Clippers staff.

Yeah I don't expect to see any names we know on our staff unless it's people Nate wants back from the previous staff. We can't compete money-wise or with exposure.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sounds like Dan Craig, Kenny Atkinson and Chauncey Billups are all taking jobs on the Clippers staff.

Yeah I don't expect to see any names we know on our staff unless it's people Nate wants back from the previous staff. We can't compete money-wise or with exposure.

I think we’ll get a former head coach that’s older like Nate McMillan was on Vogel’s staff.

But I’m not too worried. Hopefully it’s Bjorkgren’s choices and he has guys he wants to work with.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#71 » by pacers33granger » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

I think we’ll get a former head coach that’s older like Nate McMillan was on Vogel’s staff.

But I’m not too worried. Hopefully it’s Bjorkgren’s choices and he has guys he wants to work with.

Maybe, but who is out there that wasn't a disaster as a head coach? We all know old Nate's failings, but he was still solid before coming to Indy in his coaching career.

Guys like Jim Boylen, Mark Jackson, Brian Shaw, David Fizdale, etc. were just not very good head coaches or downright bad.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Don't forget the Peter Principle. That was a book that said people eventually get promoted to a job for which they are incompetent. A bad head coach could've been a good assistant and could be again. But I hope he looks at Gleague, college, and even the WNBA.

Sent from my phone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:52 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Maybe, but who is out there that wasn't a disaster as a head coach? We all know old Nate's failings, but he was still solid before coming to Indy in his coaching career.

Guys like Jim Boylen, Mark Jackson, Brian Shaw, David Fizdale, etc. were just not very good head coaches or downright bad.

Maybe Mike Brown heads back to the midwest? Adrian Griffin (if Nurse is willing to lose 2 assistants), Monty Williams, Jason Kidd (yuck), or maybe an IU connection like a Mike Woodson or Randy Wittman? Doesn’t have to be someone from this past year. Could be a deeper dive a couple years back. Who knows?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#74 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:maybe an IU connection like a Mike Woodson or Randy Wittman?

some of the IU guys are rumored to be from the Knight drill sergeant school of coaching. I think we want more of a players coach assistant. Keith Smart is I think a Knicks assistant. there must be others I'm overlooking.

there's also the Butler tree.

an outside the box idea would be Tamika.

has Billups been hired? I thought he was reported just to have interviewed.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#75 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:56 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Bad head coaches don't mean they are bad assistants. I think for a first time head coach it is nice to have someone that has been through that before.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#76 » by Charcoal Filtered » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Charcoal Filtered wrote:I like this. Would rather take a chance on someone unproven as a head coach but successful as an assistant over a retread.

Agreed.

Also, where ya been! How ya doing?

Doing well. Kids have been keeping me busy and hard to keep up with every sport like I did before they were born. Interest in the Pacers dropped with that, being a season ticket holder out here with the Blazers and already seeing KP/NateMc before. Liked part 2 better though. Still rooting for a Pacers/Blazers final.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:36 pm

Charcoal Filtered wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Charcoal Filtered wrote:I like this. Would rather take a chance on someone unproven as a head coach but successful as an assistant over a retread.

Agreed.

Also, where ya been! How ya doing?

Doing well. Kids have been keeping me busy and hard to keep up with every sport like I did before they were born. Interest in the Pacers dropped with that, being a season ticket holder out here with the Blazers and already seeing KP/NateMc before. Liked part 2 better though. Still rooting for a Pacers/Blazers final.

I hear ya. Currently potty training a 2 year old myself. Wish me luck.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#79 » by pacers33granger » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:19 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

No clue how he is as a coach but he could be a good guy to have on staff for Vic as a former star plagued with injuries.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#80 » by Wizop » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my phone.

Return to Indiana Pacers