Off season plans

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,145

Off season plans 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:59 am

1) Wing defender ...

2) A young PG. Rondo is great but we really like Playoff Rondo more... Caruso "White Mamba" is great but 30+min a game?

3) 3rd star option ... Kuz is cool and all, but I'm sure there are better FA out there this season OR trade bait. Lot of people like Lavine (if possible 3rd star?) Olidipo dude?

Who's your 3rd star option?

lot people talking about CP3, but no thanks I'd rather Drose over Cp3.

Your off season plans?

Also if Howard/Mcgee goes do we sign Cousins should we keep him if healthy?
Bring back Defense
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Re: Off season plans 

Post#2 » by king_james_vers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Lavine would be amazing, but there's just no way the Lakers have enough assets to get him.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#3 » by Landsberger » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:33 pm

It would seem the first order of business would be Kuzma. He obviously doesn't fit the scheme as a stand in the corner shooter. On the right team he's a 18-20 point guy IMHO. Let's see if they can get creative with him and get some value back. I really hope we don't go the route of getting the tired Bron-Friend vets to fill the bench and we actually look at getting a young guy who can stick longer than a year or two.

I really hope we don't fill Kuzma's slot with Melo....
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by ROballer » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:37 am

Trade Kuzma because we won't pay him and we'll lose him for nothing later. Obv any trade including Kuzma will also have to include Green for salary purposes. I also think at least one of Rondo or KCP won't be back.

So the Kuzma/Green trade along with one of Rondo/KCP not being back it clearly means we're going to have to build on the perimeter part. We also have the MLE to work with. A bit of scoring off the bench, shooting and defense. 2-3 new guys.

I would get rid of Howard and McGee and not add another big. They were pretty much useless in big parts of the playoffs, and they played under 30 mpg combined in the RS, and that's without Markieff for the most part.

Davis can play C, Markieff can play C. The C position for us it's a regular season job, when the playoffs come around we usually play either Davis or Morris big minutes at the 5 so the regular bigs will rot on the bench.

We need some fresh legs for once, I think Cacok and Kostas are more than capable of splitting 25 minutes between them in the RS.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#5 » by mcscotty » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:09 am

ROballer wrote:Trade Kuzma because we won't pay him and we'll lose him for nothing later. Obv any trade including Kuzma will also have to include Green for salary purposes. I also think at least one of Rondo or KCP won't be back.

So the Kuzma/Green trade along with one of Rondo/KCP not being back it clearly means we're going to have to build on the perimeter part. We also have the MLE to work with. A bit of scoring off the bench, shooting and defense. 2-3 new guys.

I would get rid of Howard and McGee and not add another big. They were pretty much useless in big parts of the playoffs, and they played under 30 mpg combined in the RS, and that's without Markieff for the most part.

Davis can play C, Markieff can play C. The C position for us it's a regular season job, when the playoffs come around we usually play either Davis or Morris big minutes at the 5 so the regular bigs will rot on the bench.

We need some fresh legs for once, I think Cacok and Kostas are more than capable of splitting 25 minutes between them in the RS.

I think we need one legit big. Howard was huge in the Denver series. Nice to be able to make that adjustment. Plus, we don't want AD banging in the paint all regular season. Dudes seem to like slipping their feet under him.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,825

Post#6 » by Beethoven » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:25 pm

The urgent need going into this new season i believe after reading everything here, is succinctly we need

a bona fide wing defender or two (not named lebron)
And a playmaker to replace rondo in case he deserts us.

I think we were kind of on the fortunate end of things this playoffs run we didn't run into teams that we needed to defend their strengths in wing players like boston although it would have been still our victory but uncomfortable.

3pt shooting and FTs will be something the team collectively willl just have to discipline themselves in during the course of next year
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,539

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:47 pm

I’d try to retain:
Caruso | Rondo | THT
KCP |
James |
Davis | Markieff | Cacock
Howard | Kostas | DMC

To make improvements I’d ponder parting with:
Bradley
Green
Kuzma
JMG
Dudley

I’d insist to part with:
Smith
Waiters

Keeping one of DG/AB would be great but not sure about the $.

Edit:

Targets I’d explore pursuing:

Josh Jackson. Potential breakout year. Defensive potential, runs the flank. I’d take a chance.

Bertans. Chances are slim to zero. He’s the perfect floor opener for LBJ and AD. Vogel could convince him to dig in on defense.

McDermott. Defensive rating better than I thought. Lights out shooter.

Ibaka. From a basketball POV, what a fit. Unlikely but should be pursued. Reigning champs.

Noël. Nuff said.

What’s Millsap’s situation? Ready to ring chase or still making bank?

If we end up with something resembling ...

Caruso | Rondo | THT
KCP | Bradley | frp
James | Jackson | vet
Davis | Morris | Cacock
Howard | Ibaka/Noël | Kostas

... we’d remain the team to beat.

Not sure how that could be done within the CBA but I’d hope we end up with something balanced like that. I’d be happy to see Green and Kuzma stay but I’d expect at least one of them gone in trade.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#8 » by BEazy » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:51 pm

We need to resign Howard. Having that ability to throw lob passes to LBJ/AD/Howard was pretty deadly in the playoffs.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#9 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 am

My offseason suggestion:

1. Resign AD to a 3yr max deal with PO the third year.
2. Use MLE on Josh Jackson and Aaron Holiday.
3. Use BAE and veteran min. to retain Dwight Howard and DeMarcus Cousins.
4. Trade Javale, AB, Kuz and 28th selection for a s/t Gallinari (starting at 18.5M/yr).
5. Re-sign KCP using his bird rights, re-sign Rondo using his early bird rights.

Caruso / Rondo / THT
KCP / Holiday / (Green)
Lebron / Green / Josh Jackson
Gallo / (Lebron) / (AD)
AD / Boogie / Dwight

Essentially, we just roll it back, but turn Kuz into Gallo, who would gives us extra shooting and shot creation at the SF/PF position and would really take a lot of the scoring responsibility both with Lebron on and off the court. Holiday is a solid 2-way wing that can do a little bit of everything and we take a chance on a young defensive wing with upside in Josh Jackson as well as gamble a bit on Boogie.

The team could go with so many different lineups.
Start/small/crunch-time: Caruso-KCP-Lebron-Gallo-AD
Big: KCP-Green-Lebron-AD-Howard
Bigger: Lebron-Green-Gallo-AD-Howard
Big and mean: Lebron-Caruso-Jackson-AD-Boogie
Shooting: KCP-Holiday-Green-Gallo-Boogie
Fast/micro: Caruso-KCP-Holiday-Jackson-Lebron
Etc.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:39 pm

IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:My offseason suggestion:

4. Trade Javale, AB, Kuz and 28th selection for a s/t Gallinari (starting at 18.5M/yr).
5. Re-sign KCP using his bird rights, re-sign Rondo using his early bird rights.

Caruso / Rondo / THT
KCP / Holiday / (Green)
Gallo / (Lebron) / (AD)
AD / Boogie / Dwight

Essentially, we just roll it back, but turn Kuz into Gallo, who would gives us extra shooting and shot creation at the SF/PF position and would really take a lot of the scoring responsibility both with Lebron on and off the court. Holiday is a solid 2-way wing that can do a little bit of everything and we take a chance on a young defensive wing with upside in Josh Jackson as well as gamble a bit on Boogie.

Etc.

The only thing that I’m against is Gallo. He’s a PF. So is AD. We’ve promised him not to wear him down at the five other than in the playoffs or when really needed in an important game. I’m sure that request of AD’s will stand. I agree he’s not built to be a Center (he’s still the best C in the league), would be injury plagued rest of career.

As much as I like Josh Jackson and I’ll take your word on Holiday, I think we should get a 3PT shooting veteran defensive five, not a four. BroLo comes to mind as a 3&D C but he couldn’t run with this group.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#11 » by DanishLakerFan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:16 pm

stan francisco wrote:
IAMRANDYMARSH wrote:My offseason suggestion:

Caruso / Rondo / THT
KCP / Holiday / (Green)
Gallo / (Lebron) / (AD)
AD / Boogie / Dwight

Etc.

The only thing that I’m against is Gallo. He’s a PF. So is AD. We’ve promised him not to wear him down at the five other than in the playoffs or when really needed in an important game. I’m sure that request of AD’s will stand. I agree he’s not built to be a Center (he’s still the best C in the league), would be injury plagued rest of career.

As much as I like Josh Jackson and I’ll take your word on Holiday, I think we should get a 3PT shooting veteran defensive five, not a four. BroLo comes to mind as a 3&D C but he couldn’t run with this group.
Gallo is a 3/4 and can easily play at the 3 with AD at the 4. The main idea with Gallo would be to get a guy that can take scoring responsibility from Bron and AD in order to manage their minutes.

Josh Jackson is a gamble but he has been effective as a wing stopper in limited minutes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by stan francisco » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Josh Jackson is poised to be a great defender in a year or two if he pays attention. I’d take the gamble on him any day. In fact, he’s a perfect fit for us running the flanks on the break.

For our big man needs, in my opinion, we need hard screens, tough defense, rebounds, good passing, and 3PT shooting. Gallinari hits only one of those marks; shooting.

Some FA players cover all of those needs:
Ibaka, Gasol, DMC, Baynes

I get the position switches on defense vs offense, but Gallinari is not a defensive wing SF, he’s a PF. AD is not our C, he’s our PF. Having AD chasing wing SFs is not what AD’s knees need.

He’s undoubtedly a knock down shooter but I’ve never thought Gallo played hard enough on defense so it’s a pass for me.

Josh Jackson? Sign him on day one!
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,270

Post#13 » by Dr Aki » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:37 am

What do you think about getting Nerlens Noel (hopefully to replace McGee rather than Dwight)
DanishLakerFan
Veteran

Post#14 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:48 am

Dr Aki wrote:What do you think about getting Nerlens Noel (hopefully to replace McGee rather than Dwight)

Would rather have Nerlens Noel than McGee or Dwight, so if McGee is moved i think Nerlens should be a target.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by stan francisco » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:55 am

Dr Aki wrote:What do you think about getting Nerlens Noel (hopefully to replace McGee rather than Dwight)

I’d be all for it!

Return to Los Angeles Lakers