ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,873

Re: Raptors favorites to re-sign FVV, expected to receive a Brogdon contract 

Post#181 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:50 am

Ramed Nazored wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Lord_Zedd wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30155889/nba-free-agency-trade-debate-intriguing-teams-top-targets-bold-predictions

See ya Freddy.

Also the Athletic linked FVV to the Pistons today. Seems like Pistons, Knicks, Suns, and Hawks will be the biggest threats to luring FVV away from us.

The max contract is just nuts to me. If he get’s that money, hats off to him and farewell.

Let's be honest we'd expect nothing less from a team like the Knicks and Pistons.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#182 » by gerrit4 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:10 pm

Ackshun wrote:
gerrit4 wrote:IMHO havin Freddy for four years at 21m per, still keeps him as a tradeable contract - especially considering he can play off the ball and is one of the better PG defenders in the league, and also has championship pedigree. Assuming he can give similar production, I’d assume it’s a contract that could easily be offloaded if we get buyers remorse.

But hey, I thought Carroll would be tradeable, so what do I know...

FVV posted 8/3/2 during our championship run.

Don't get me wrong - he was terrible in the first two rounds. I was actually wondering if he could stay in the league after this contract (and obviously people were asking for Lin to get his minutes). But he was fantastic in the next two rounds, along with hitting one of the biggest shots in Raptors history in game 6.

I don't think anyone would argue that he was a key contributor and a big part of that championship team.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#183 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:19 pm

Atleast one of the Knicks or Pistons will draft their franchise pg in the draft possibly both. Ideally you hope atleast the Knicks do because they are far more likely to throw huge money at him especially with Thibs coaching

I'm not buying the ATL interest it makes no sense, fred is not a backup and him and Trae together won't work like Lowry.

If Phx had the money I'd consider him as good as gone cause he fits perfectly over there but anything they offer we can give and more.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,782

Post#184 » by Zeno » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:55 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Atleast one of the Knicks or Pistons will draft their franchise pg in the draft possibly both. Ideally you hope atleast the Knicks do because they are far more likely to throw huge money at him especially with Thibs coaching

I'm not buying the ATL interest it makes no sense, fred is not a backup and him and Trae together won't work like Lowry.

If Phx had the money I'd consider him as good as gone cause he fits perfectly over there but anything they offer we can give and more.

If Phoenix wants to create the space they easily can. They could easily move Oubre. The could also send Rubio to the Clippers for example for Beverly who makes 3-4 million less. My hope is that Sarver cheaps out. It seems like a good bet, he got rid of his G-league team just to save a few dollars....
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#185 » by Rapsalot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:38 pm

I would rather SI for 3 years at $18 mil and maybe sign and trade FVV for best fit at SG.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#186 » by Danny1616 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:44 pm

Berserk_Raptor wrote:This is rare, free agency has already started and we dont have news, in the past, as soon as FA begins we had a lot of posts of players signing with teams... how do we know if Fred is having meetings with other teams? when are we going to know his decision?

Free agency has not started yet.

Technically, players are not allowed to have contact with other teams until free agency starts.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#187 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:09 am

Zeno wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Atleast one of the Knicks or Pistons will draft their franchise pg in the draft possibly both. Ideally you hope atleast the Knicks do because they are far more likely to throw huge money at him especially with Thibs coaching

If Phoenix wants to create the space they easily can. They could easily move Oubre. The could also send Rubio to the Clippers for example for Beverly who makes 3-4 million less. My hope is that Sarver cheaps out. It seems like a good bet, he got rid of his G-league team just to save a few dollars....

Well I don't think Phoenix likes Fred enough to do those moves so we should be good
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#188 » by Basketball_Jones » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:14 am

Phoenix looked like a powerhouse in the bubble they’ll probably go for someone to put them over the top rather then Fred
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
TRex520
Senior
And1: 366

Post#189 » by TRex520 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:41 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
TRex520 wrote:If the reports are true, FVV getting Brogdon's $ (20mil) and LAC wants a point guard.... This may be a pipedream, but I will do an S&T with FVV for Lou Will, Kabengele and one of Jalmychal Green/Rodney McGruder. I know some of you may be pissed for Lou Will, but he is the offense catalyst that we need with the cost of 8mil. He is also expiring so that keep our 20-21 summer money available (Hi Giannis). Kabengele, yes hometown talent, but also a good cheap option as Serge's replacement. Same for Green and McGruder, good 3&D options misused by the clippers.

Masai is just dying to bring back old Lou Wil. But McGruder really seals the deal. Are you Clippers fan? By chancce? Fred stays because Ujiri and Bobby want him to end of story.
No I don't like Clippers, nor Kawhi. However, I am not sure we should keep FVV for 20 something million over a few years. I think we need some flexibility, not only upcoming FAs but downfall of the cap...
TRex520
Senior

Post#190 » by TRex520 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Nocturne wrote:
TRex520 wrote:If the reports are true, FVV getting Brogdon's $ (20mil) and LAC wants a point guard.... This may be a pipedream, but I will do an S&T with FVV for Lou Will, Kabengele and one of Jalmychal Green/Rodney McGruder. I know some of you may be pissed for Lou Will, but he is the offense catalyst that we need with the cost of 8mil. He is also expiring so that keep our 20-21 summer money available (Hi Giannis). Kabengele, yes hometown talent, but also a good cheap option as Serge's replacement. Same for Green and McGruder, good 3&D options misused by the clippers.

Wasn't there rumours that Kawhi and FVV had some issues during our championship year that came out at the end of the season? Not sure if FVV is the point guard that Kawhi is looking for.

Maybe there's rumour. However, there are also facts that they won it together. So at least they are compatible in terms on the court, in terms of winning. I think that matters more if they want to win.
TRex520
Senior

Post#191 » by TRex520 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:49 pm

Ramed Nazored wrote:

Not a fan of this at all.

Lou Will is an immense liability on the defensive end. No thanks. The other players do nothing to tip the scale either way.

The Clippers would be all over this scenario.
As I stated, Lou Will is a good expiring contract, short term gap that we can use. Hopefully we get a pick with that kind of package. I think we will need to rebuild or retool for a short period of time before being competitive again.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#192 » by Danny1616 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:01 pm

TRex520 wrote:
Ramed Nazored wrote:

Not a fan of this at all.

Lou Will is an immense liability on the defensive end. No thanks. The other players do nothing to tip the scale either way.

The Clippers would be all over this scenario.
As I stated, Lou Will is a good expiring contract, short term gap that we can use. Hopefully we get a pick with that kind of package. I think we will need to rebuild or retool for a short period of time before being competitive again.

There is a reason Masai did not want to resign Lou in 2015. He's iso-oriented, a defensive liability, a poor leader, and doesn't make his teammates better. Yeah he's a very skilled and crafty scorer, but he doesn't fit the type of player Masai wants.
mulamutti
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#193 » by mulamutti » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:14 pm

ballislife89 wrote:Yikes, a little rich for me. But granted the raptors record attracting free agents, this is probably the best we can get lol.

Fred is easily worth that contract in the market. Its not that easy to get a PG for a contending team that can score play defense on the best normal sized PGs and is reasonably clutch at that price. There's obviously things that he needs to work on, but both the raptors organization and he has proven that they consistently get better and work on things. Masai is not gonna lose FVV for nothing. so obviously he's gonna pay him. even if that means trading him later if he has to.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,741

Post#194 » by Yeezus_ » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Basketball_Jones wrote:Phoenix looked like a powerhouse in the bubble they’ll probably go for someone to put them over the top rather then Fred

I always thought CP3 would be the perfect fit for their young core to compete while having a veteran star.
Yeezy SZN approaching
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#195 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Lord_Zedd wrote:
Basketball_Jones wrote:Are the Knicks crazy enough to give him 25/100? Let’s hope there’s no bidding war here

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: They're the Knicks.

I'm amazed and slightly disappointed in BBall Jones that he doesn't realize that is a very knicks thing to do. It would be surprising if they didn't offer him 100 milly.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#196 » by Badonkadonk » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:28 pm

Lou Will won 6th man and was hilarious when he was here, why would ppl be pissed?

That aside, he's absolute trash as a PG and is a huge negative defensively. There's a reason he can't carry starter minutes. This would equate to a dump of FVV, while still requiring the Raps to find a backup PG. His value is WAY higher than that if the expected market is remotely close.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#197 » by v1n5anity » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:37 am

Read on Twitter

FVV beating out Brandon Ingram! :o
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#198 » by TorontoRapsFan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:39 am

v1n5anity wrote:
Read on Twitter

FVV beating out Brandon Ingram! :o

It is not available to me :( and Im sure to a lot of you too.

help
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,740

Post#199 » by VanWest82 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:15 pm

Wonder if this means Knicks are no longer in the running for a big FVV contract: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260154/Fred-VanVleet-Seen-As-More-Effective-For-Established-Team-Than-As-The-Lone-Star

League sources see Fred VanVleet as being more effective on an established than "being the lone star," according to Marc Berman of the New York Post.

I'd be ecstatic if Raptors could get Fred locked up for < 20M AAV but this stare down feels a little risky. Fred was our second best player last year behind Lowry who's turning 35. Fred is a team leader and the only every-day PG option on the roster. If Siakam is a good deal @ 30M+ how is Fred not a good deal @ 20M when Fred is currently the better player?
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#200 » by bstein14 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:43 pm

I think the Suns are going to throw big $ to Christian Wood as their #1 target this offseason. Probably 4 years $60+ million.

Return to Toronto Raptors