Gobert Available?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Gobert Available? 

Post#1 » by Wolverine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:26 am

During couple recent podcast Bill Simmons has said he believes Rudy Gobert is available on the trade market.
One trade (really the only one I think is even possible) would have the Jazz trading Gobert to the Pacers for Myles Turner, Aaron Holiday & future protected first round pick.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,423

Re: Gobert Available? 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

I really don't know. It wouldn't be the Jazz' MO to make Gobert available. They are much more likely to try and roll with Gobert for as long as they possibly can, but the only thing that could make them apprehensive is that supermax deal he is eligible to receive. We already know the Jazz are very frugal and this might give them pause.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Wolverine
Rookie
And1: 109

Post#3 » by Wolverine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:03 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I really don't know. It wouldn't be the Jazz' MO to make Gobert available. They are much more likely to try and roll with Gobert for as long as they possibly can, but the only thing that could make them apprehensive is that supermax deal he is eligible to receive. We already know the Jazz are very frugal and this might give them pause.

Agree mybe they dont want to pay supermax
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,735

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:19 pm

I can believe it, I think Rudy wants to move on as well.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#5 » by KqWIN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:04 pm

I highly doubt it. I am also not a fan of trades that will actually make us mediocre for the duration of Mitchell's career here. You think winning ~50 games is bad every year, wait until we win 35-40.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,423

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:25 pm

I don't really care about if we win 50 or 45 or even 35. I care about our chances to win a championship and how far we can go in the playoffs. If we win around 50 games every year and still can't make it out of the first round (twice in a row now) or the second round, it matters very little to me how much we won in the regular season. In fact, winning around 50 is almost worse because it fools fans into thinking this team can actually do something in the playoffs, and so we run a team with the same ceiling every season and get the same results. At least if we win 35, it will maybe make it clear to fans we aren't going anywhere and the fanbase will start pressuring the FO\management.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#7 » by KqWIN » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I don't really care about if we win 50 or 45 or even 35. I care about our chances to win a championship and how far we can go in the playoffs. If we win around 50 games every year and still can't make it out of the first round (twice in a row now) or the second round, it matters very little to me how much we won in the regular season. In fact, winning around 50 is almost worse because it fools fans into thinking this team can actually do something in the playoffs, and so we run a team with the same ceiling every season and get the same results. At least if we win 35, it will maybe make it clear to fans we aren't going anywhere and the fanbase will start pressuring the FO\management.

I don't see how being drastically worse is anything isn't also a drastically worse situation position to be in. Getting from 50 to contention is much easier than going from 35 to contention. If you trade Gobert and go down to 35, you've just undone so much progress and it's very difficult to get back to 50. Being a bad team doesn't help anything.

I also don't think the FO has been cautious or content with how things are going. They could have very easily locked in Rubio and Favors, two guys who really wanted to stay, and had the same success (perhaps more) for years and years. They made moves and pushed a lot of chips to the center of the table, they just failed miserably, had some poor luck, and bet on the wrong guys.

To be fair to the FO, they actually did put together a team that was good enough to make the conference finals and compete with anyone. I would say Quin failed this team more than the FO. Things really do rest on an knifes edge. The Jazz really should have won the first 5 games of that series...and that's without Bogey. But that's how things go in this league.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#8 » by NYG » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:25 am

Denizfeital
Starter
And1: 198

Post#9 » by Denizfeital » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Everyone is available.

Gobert for Giannis? Mitchell for Luka? I am sure the Front Office will entertain those offers.

We don't have any untouchable player.

What I don't like is trading something that we know (Gobert, MItchell, sure things) for something that we don't know (future draft pics). Other than that, they should listen.

Regards,
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,191

Post#10 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:11 am

The argument for trading Gobert this offseason would probably be to get James Wiseman at 1/3 the cost and build a different team around Donovan. We'd justify taking a step back a couple years while the world is screwed up with the pandemic.

But nothing DL has said publicly indicates that the Jazz want to move on from Gobert.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 am

Wolverine wrote:During couple recent podcast Bill Simmons has said he believes Rudy Gobert is available on the trade market.
One trade (really the only one I think is even possible) would have the Jazz trading Gobert to the Pacers for Myles Turner, Aaron Holiday & future protected first round pick.

Indiana wouldn't be interested in Gobert. Sabonis and Turner are both centers, but it works because Turner can shoot threes. Adding Rudy just limits Sabonis' effectiveness, and he is such a unique offensive talent it's not worth it. If we trade Rudy, the return will be underwhelming. I think the best option is actually Chicago, something like Porter + 4 + WCJ for Gobert + 23.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 976

Post#12 » by red4hf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:15 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Wolverine wrote:During couple recent podcast Bill Simmons has said he believes Rudy Gobert is available on the trade market.

Indiana wouldn't be interested in Gobert. Sabonis and Turner are both centers, but it works because Turner can shoot threes. Adding Rudy just limits Sabonis' effectiveness, and he is such a unique offensive talent it's not worth it. If we trade Rudy, the return will be underwhelming. I think the best option is actually Chicago, something like Porter + 4 + WCJ for Gobert + 23.

If you have to trade Gobert, that's not a terrible return.....
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,404

Post#13 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Indiana and Brooklyn are ideal trading partners. Personally I don't see Gobert's game aging well. Once his feet become too slow to guard on the perimeter (2 years maybe) he's done in the modern NBA.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Donovan is gone in 2-3 years if Gobert is traded. We wouldn’t be good enough to make the playoffs. He’ll just ask out.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#15 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:48 pm

I'm intrigued by James Wiseman. I think he has the potential to be the next Joel Embiid. The question is whether he'll play with half the competitive fire that Gobert has.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,957

Post#16 » by goober » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:53 pm

KqWIN wrote:Donovan is gone in 2-3 years if Gobert is traded. We wouldn’t be good enough to make the playoffs. He’ll just ask out.

To be fair, with everything that has gone on in this past year, I think Donovan will want out no matter what
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#17 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 pm

The declining cap may be good news for us in resigning Gobert, as a supermax may be less than the max would be in prior years.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:30 pm

babyjax13 wrote:The declining cap may be good news for us in resigning Gobert, as a supermax may be less than the max would be in prior years.

Yep! Rudy's contract will be right-priced if the cap recovers over the next few years. That's a risk factor, but it's less of a risk factor than Rudy and the Jazz being at an impasse.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#19 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Goober wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Donovan is gone in 2-3 years if Gobert is traded. We wouldn’t be good enough to make the playoffs. He’ll just ask out.

To be fair, with everything that has gone on in this past year, I think Donovan will want out no matter what

Probably, but it depends on what the rest of the league looks like. If Donovan, Tatum and Bam are all FAs at the same time, I could see them teaming up in NY or Miami.

If Mitchell is getting to the NBA Finals with the Jazz, he's likely to stay though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#20 » by VCfor3 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:03 pm

I imagine that your FO is more willing to listen on Gobert than in the past, but won't move him without the appropriate value coming back. I wonder if the Magic would have interest in something like:

UTA in: Gordon, Ross, #2
UTA out: Gobert

ORL in: MIN 1st, Lottery protected 2021 GSW 1st, Wiggins
ORL out: Gordon, Ross

GSW in: Gobert
GSW out: Wiggins, #2, MIN 1st, 2021 GSW 1st

You guys get your center of the future in Wiseman, PF of the future in Gordon, and Ross can play SG if Mitchell moves to PG. You also don't have to eat the Wiggins albatross and remain competitive to keep Mitchell happy. Conley can maybe be moved to someone for additional pieces.

Mitchell/Conley
Ross/Ingles
Bojan/Royce
Gordon/Niang
Wiseman/Bradley

GSW fans will scream no, but I think to get Gobert they have to have enough value to both get off Wiggins and pay for a franchise big.

Return to Utah Jazz