Post#1 » by KJStark23 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:56 pm

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Re: Pacers Draft Strategy: Options at 54 and Trade Up Options 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:01 pm

KJStark23 wrote:

Give us some of your write up here to try and lure us there. Otherwise, it’s just spamming and may get locked and deleted.

I’d love to watch. But I’m not rewarding you with my view until you write something here for discussion.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I’d love to watch but ...

I watched but didn't learn anything useful. see trade forum discussion here.

they talked about guards at 54 and the big trade up to the top 10. no discussion at all about what I'd like to see happen which is a trade or purchase into the bottom of the first or the top of the second (Knicks and Celtics have picks they may want to defer) to get a mobile power forward.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:02 am

I have no idea who KJ Stark is so i did not watch the video, but i do have an opinion on pick 54. Jay Scrubb. Enormous potential. Finalist for Kentucky Mr. basketball back in HS. Scorer. Needs some development but who wouldn't at pick 54? Very interesting player. Has some baggage but just a baller who is seeking an opportunity.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#5 » by Moooose » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:44 pm

Well, it's their opinion just like any other draft talk there is. It's a topic where the ideas of the ordinary fans and the so-called draft experts "almost" have the same bearing.

Their take is a bit too optimistic about the Pacers getting top 5 picks, though it is not impossible. Sticking at 54, I like the mention of Peyton Pritchard and Skylar Mays but it really depends on our guard depth situation. Personally, at 54, I think a replacement to Alize is more possible. We have a lot of options at 54 and I think a lot of good players would go undrafted just because of the limited workouts.

If we want defense and a potential replacement to Justin Holiday, there's Scrubb, as mentioned above. Or Hinton, who I think has the most ball dives in college basketball ever. I don't see us drafting another big though. I feel like we need more of a veteran big to back-up our young frontcourt. Just looking at the list, PG's and SG's are aplenty at our range. Malik Fitts and Nwora are still my guys, though.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:52 pm

At 54 you are looking for a diamond in the rough or a project type guy.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:At 54 you are looking for a diamond in the rough or a project type guy.

That, or an undervalued (too old, wrong size, tweeter?) guy that will just provide usable skills immediately, like a Paul Reed.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Sam Vecenie of the Athletic says in his podcast that he’s heard Indy has done low key due diligence into potential first round picks. But he also says it’s probably just good management preparation in case.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#9 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:At 54 you are looking for a diamond in the rough or a project type guy.

That, or an undervalued (too old, wrong size, tweeter?) guy that will just provide usable skills immediately, like a Paul Reed.

That would have fit into my Diamond in the rough category.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:06 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Ah. I thought you meant a high potential low production type guy.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran

Post#11 » by Pacers_Freak » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

When you post vaguely you can make it fit whatever narrative you want. 8-)

That is what I meant I obviously didn't really go into detail with it. My main point being some of us are getting excited that we could fill this hole or that hole. Well if we stay put at 54 that guy is probably going to be filling a hole in Ft. Wayne. There is obviously going to be some type of serious flaw for a guy to drop to 54.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#12 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Sam Vecenie of the Athletic says in his podcast that he’s heard Indy has done low key due diligence into potential first round picks. But he also says it’s probably just good management preparation in case.

Did he say how high those potential first round picks could go? Like if they're in the late lotto range, that says something a lot different than late firsts that could easily slip into the early 2nd. One requires a decent asset going out, the other could be those 2nds from the Warren deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:10 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Sam Vecenie of the Athletic says in his podcast that he’s heard Indy has done low key due diligence into potential first round picks. But he also says it’s probably just good management preparation in case.

Did he say how high those potential first round picks could go? Like if they're in the late lotto range, that says something a lot different than late firsts that could easily slip into the early 2nd. One requires a decent asset going out, the other could be those 2nds from the Warren deal.

Sorry. Yes. He said "late 1st round picks". No other specifics, really, at all. The rest of his Game Theory podcast was really him and the other writer just recapping teams and spitballing ideas. They weren't really reporting anything new.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

When you post vaguely you can make it fit whatever narrative you want. 8-)

I've always liked you. :wink:

:lol:
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#15 » by pacers33granger » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:12 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Sorry. Yes. He said "late 1st round picks". No other specifics, really, at all. The rest of his Game Theory podcast was really him and the other writer just recapping teams and spitballing ideas. They weren't really reporting anything new.

That makes sense. There's a chance to come away with a rotation player for what could be really minor assets given the depth of the draft and the wild uncertainty of it this year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:39 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

That makes sense. There's a chance to come away with a rotation player for what could be really minor assets given the depth of the draft and the wild uncertainty of it this year.

Yeah. Last year Cleveland bought the 30th pick (Kevin Porter Jr.) for 4 future 2nd round picks AND $5m in cash. I think these picks might go for a little less this year, but I think cash might be the premium. I don't see us as paying that, though. Could be that we instead use TJ Leaf to take back a bad deal that makes up to that max of $7.67m, though? Who knows.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#17 » by Grang33r » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:42 am

This would be exciting. Some of the guys in that range that look very promising Tyshon Alexander, Isiah Joe, Jaden McDaniels and Josh Green.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r

Return to Indiana Pacers