John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1701 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 5, 2020 8:26 pm

He's reinvented himself - in that he's made himself a better shooter to make up for a drop in his explosive leaping. I think that's a good tradeoff. And if he's playing without pain, I think it's a given his defense and movement off the ball will improve. Very excited that he's devoted himself to improving. Here's to pain-free years for John with the dedication paying off.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1702 » by Dat2U » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:49 am

I see no explosion but I wouldn't necessarily expect it in a pickup game. Interesting thing is Wall was always one of the bigger PGs so he can impose his will outside of just speed. Even a step slower when injured he still was a force going downhill to the rim.

That LA game last year would be a perfect example of what I would love to see going forward. Even being a step slow he wrecked havoc b/c he was engaged and motivated.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#1703 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:16 pm

Not hard to look good when nobody wants to guard your no shirt sweaty ass :lol:

I kid, I kid, but damn, that’s a pet peeve of mine. Wear a shirt with your Greco Roman style wrestling ass.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,350

Post#1704 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:I see no explosion but I wouldn't necessarily expect it in a pickup game. Interesting thing is Wall was always one of the bigger PGs so he can impose his will outside of just speed. Even a step slower when injured he still was a force going downhill to the rim.

That LA game last year would be a perfect example of what I would love to see going forward. Even being a step slow he wrecked havoc b/c he was engaged and motivated.

I expect he is conserving himself somewhat as far as burst and highflying antics. He has shown that before in pick up games, and then he also ended up with wear and tear on those wheels. No point risking anything at this point. He needed to work on his outside shot and game in space, and while the form is iffy he has confidence in it. For me apart from his size advantage, what Wall has always had is vision, both in awareness of his team and reaction time. He sets his man up well. His length opens up passing angles, he predicts well where his teammate will be. The addition of a three point shot and a catch and shoot game will help, as will simply moving off the ball as a backdoor threat etc. This opens up more passing opportunities, and gives him options when to play at cruise control and when to hit the throttle. It also prevents injury and turnovers, since half of his TOs were driving too fast into traffic. Refs who couldn't keep up with his speed would call him for a charge when replays commonly showed he was fouled, but too quick to catch. Adding savvy to his toolkit lets him play at different speeds. Here he looks like he learned some of Beal's step back game, if he can also learn his off ball motion game then the two together are a hazard.

Still not much defense being displayed here though. So. Yeah. When he does motivate on that end he is dangerous. One reason why I want a high energy defending Big behind him and a no-quit perimeter defender next to him, so they can fire up the team. Force misses, snatch boards, initiate fast breaks, go.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1705 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2020 3:04 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I see no explosion but I wouldn't necessarily expect it in a pickup game. Interesting thing is Wall was always one of the bigger PGs so he can impose his will outside of just speed. Even a step slower when injured he still was a force going downhill to the rim.

I expect he is conserving himself somewhat as far as burst and highflying antics. He has shown that before in pick up games, and then he also ended up with wear and tear on those wheels. No point risking anything at this point. He needed to work on his outside shot and game in space, and while the form is iffy he has confidence in it. For me apart from his size advantage, what Wall has always had is vision, both in awareness of his team and reaction time. He sets his man up well. His length opens up passing angles, he predicts well where his teammate will be. The addition of a three point shot and a catch and shoot game will help, as will simply moving off the ball as a backdoor threat etc. This opens up more passing opportunities, and gives him options when to play at cruise control and when to hit the throttle. It also prevents injury and turnovers, since half of his TOs were driving too fast into traffic. Refs who couldn't keep up with his speed would call him for a charge when replays commonly showed he was fouled, but too quick to catch. Adding savvy to his toolkit lets him play at different speeds. Here he looks like he learned some of Beal's step back game, if he can also learn his off ball motion game then the two together are a hazard.

Still not much defense being displayed here though. So. Yeah. When he does motivate on that end he is dangerous. One reason why I want a high energy defending Big behind him and a no-quit perimeter defender next to him, so they can fire up the team. Force misses, snatch boards, initiate fast breaks, go

I think it's possible to get both those energy defenders in the draft. The big would be Okongwu at 9. The perimeter defender would be Pif's unusual find, Nate Hinton https://www.thestepien.com/2019/09/12/draft-notes-nate-hintons-uniqueness/.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1706 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:03 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

Still not much defense being displayed here though. So. Yeah. When he does motivate on that end he is dangerous. One reason why I want a high energy defending Big behind him and a no-quit perimeter defender next to him, so they can fire up the team. Force misses, snatch boards, initiate fast breaks, go

I think it's possible to get both those energy defenders in the draft. The big would be Okongwu at 9. The perimeter defender would be Pif's unusual find, Nate Hinton https://www.thestepien.com/2019/09/12/draft-notes-nate-hintons-uniqueness/.

There's a pack of them in this draft. I do like HInton a mess. Perimeter wise this draft has:

Vassell -- constant effort 40 feet from the basket and across the court. Pretty three ball, from deep, catch and shoot game strong.
Josh Green -- smart high effort defender, knows how to play the player and the spacing game. Underrated, long career glue guy.
Tyler Bey -- raw athleticism and tools in the vein of Matrix Shawn Marion. If he can develop his tools he will be a star. Lob threat.
Hinton -- Heady tough smart gutsy baller at both ends. Locker room intangibles. Gamer, plays with love of the game.
Saddiq Bey -- BBIQ defender with lesser athleticism but a solid 3&D game.

each as as go-get-it defenders on the outside.

On the interior there's Okongwu, but also

James Wiseman
Precious Achiuwa
Isaiah Stewart
Vernon Carey

Rebounding and clogging up the middle. Wiseman won't fall, and has questionable feel for the game, but is startling in his combination of size and athleticism. Achiuwa is old for a freshman but posted rebound blocks and steals numbers to match anyones. Stewart is a ricocheting cannonball, rebounding with effort and muscle, energetic as a meth head despite his size, he's invariably the first up the floor in both directions. Outlet threat. Vernon Carey is savvy, huge, and more skilled than he's credited for. Highly productive in college, the question is not if his game will translate, it is whether he will develop skills he needs at the next level that he wasn't asked to use in college.

And then there's Xavier Tillman who is undersized perhaps but will be a savvy defensive captain, making any team he's added to suddenly mature and tough.

I think this draft is deep in useful roster players top to bottom. Guys that will make John look good and vice versa.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#1707 » by Frichuela » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:08 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:

There's a pack of them in this draft. I do like HInton a mess. Perimeter wise this draft has:

Vassell -- constant effort 40 feet from the basket and across the court. Pretty three ball, from deep, catch and shoot game strong.
Josh Green -- smart high effort defender, knows how to play the player and the spacing game. Underrated, long career glue guy.
Tyler Bey -- raw athleticism and tools in the vein of Matrix Shawn Marion. If he can develop his tools he will be a star. Lob threat.
Hinton -- Heady tough smart gutsy baller at both ends. Locker room intangibles. Gamer, plays with love of the game.
Saddiq Bey -- BBIQ defender with lesser athleticism but a solid 3&D game.

each as as go-get-it defenders on the outside.

On the interior there's Okongwu, but also

James Wiseman
Precious Achiuwa
Isaiah Stewart
Vernon Carey

Rebounding and clogging up the middle. Wiseman won't fall, and has questionable feel for the game, but is startling in his combination of size and athleticism. Achiuwa is old for a freshman but posted rebound blocks and steals numbers to match anyones. Stewart is a ricocheting cannonball, rebounding with effort and muscle, energetic as a meth head despite his size, he's invariably the first up the floor in both directions. Outlet threat. Vernon Carey is savvy, huge, and more skilled than he's credited for. Highly productive in college, the question is not if his game will translate, it is whether he will develop skills he needs at the next level that he wasn't asked to use in college.

And then there's Xavier Tillman who is undersized perhaps but will be a savvy defensive captain, making any team he's added to suddenly mature and tough.

I think this draft is deep in useful roster players top to bottom. Guys that will make John look good and vice versa.

Agreed Ruzious. As you illustrate, there are quite a few "good fit" options for the needs that doclinkin was describing. Let's hope Tommy & co don't mess it up!!!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1708 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:26 pm

Yeah good write up ruzious!!! :clown:
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1709 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:43 pm

LOL!! -- Must have been caused by that "ricocheting cannonball" (what a thought! Scary!)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1710 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2020 4:51 pm

doclinkin wrote:Yeah good write up ruzious!!! :clown:

Hey, I'll take any compliment I get! :nod:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1711 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1712 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:14 pm

I don't that low elbow while john is rising in this shot will be reason why he won't be able to hit contested 3 pointers. if you elbow needs to be at 45 degree angle, not a 90 degree angle while still on ground rising into your shot. John just had bad hip bend. Hard to fix when you are this old. I go the 1:08 mark in the video.
But its good that he is out there working. Hopefully he just focuses on better landing techniques so his knees don't deteriorate and practicing to shoot that three over taller defenders with pressure. Love the passion, but its hard to adjust your elbow from 90 degrees to 45 degrees when you have such poor hip bend at beginning of your shot. His bad knees probably keep him from fluidly bending his knees while catching the power dribble just before he shoots.
I would probably advise Wall to just keep watching Damian Lillard shot mechanics on his 3 ball for the best landing technique and knee and ankle injury problems.
On second thought, his elbow is low and he won't get that shot off against pressure, but he does have good landing mechanics with the low elbow. He is able to shift his momentum backwards just as he is landing to dramatically reduce knee pressure from landing.
I do like how he spins hips and lands backward on that layup, preserving his knees. That's definitely an improvement. But definitely appreciate Wall.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1713 » by TGW » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:40 am

;ab_channel=Ank1eTaker
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#1714 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:04 am

Let's hear it a little bit for Andre Drummond showing some handles.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#1715 » by TGW » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:20 am

payitforward wrote:Let's hear it a little bit for Andre Drummond showing some handles.

If Drummond had any passion for the game, he'd be a consistent all-star. All the skills are there. The drive isn't.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1716 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:14 am

TGW wrote:
payitforward wrote:Let's hear it a little bit for Andre Drummond showing some handles.

If Drummond had any passion for the game, he'd be a consistent all-star. All the skills are there. The drive isn't.

Andre Drummond's MRI revealed a stress fracture of the fifth lumbar vertebra in his back.

Serious painful chronic injuries always rob your passion. that's why you have to scout your players injury history. If injury is related to wear and tear, their passion for the game will fade unless they quickly figure out and fix what mechanical movement caused it...and even then, it might be too late or impossible to adjust without impacting their game significantly.

I
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#1717 » by King Ken » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:40 am

I been telling ya'll for the first time in John's career, I finally seen him with that dog Westbrook has. He's been motivated like heck and everyone that's seen of the last 6 months keeps saying he was elite talent wise but just wasn't there but everyone know is like wow, he's going to shock people.

[tweet]http://www.twitter.com/TheEliteMedia_/status/1319832399312715776[/tweet]

https://www.twitter.com/TheEliteMedia_/status/1319832399312715776

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1718 » by doclinkin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:53 pm

The Beasley/Wall battle was good too:

Defense isn't there yet, but its pick up highlights, so whatever.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1719 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:30 pm

He looks just like the old John Wall. The big question is, how long will that Achilles hold up?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1720 » by DCZards » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:13 pm

nate33 wrote:He looks just like the old John Wall. The big question is, how long will that Achilles hold up?

None of us know for sure how long John's achilles will hold up--hopefully the rest of his career--but I am glad that the Zards didn't rush Wallstar back...or have him play in the bubble games like some here were urging.

Return to Washington Wizards