Off Topic VIII

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,616

Re: Off Topic VIII 

Post#1581 » by fatlever » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 pm

spoons bbq on south blvd, rock store bbq in stallings.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#1582 » by LBC SoCal » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:47 pm

James Gatz wrote:It's more fast food than straight BBQ but I definitely recommend hitting up a Cook Out. Have like 40 different types of shakes available.

Nice, I’m taking any and all recommendations to be honest, thank you.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#1583 » by countryboi » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:48 pm

fatlever wrote:spoons bbq on south blvd, rock store bbq in stallings.

sadly spoons closed because of COVID and other foolishness
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1584 » by yosemiteben » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Just to manage expectations, Charlotte isn't a very good BBQ city IMO.

Big fan of Q Shack in the triangle.
LBC SoCal
Junior
And1: 417

Post#1585 » by LBC SoCal » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 am

yosemiteben wrote:Just to manage expectations, Charlotte isn't a very good BBQ city IMO.

Big fan of Q Shack in the triangle.

Thank you, actually that might work....by the time I get to Charlotte I will be burned out with BBQ. Seems like you have a mix of Italian, and even soul food, it might be good for me to change it up.

A friend of mine who lives in Raleigh will take me through the Triangle and I’ll be eating nothing but bbq.
11 titles won in LA in the modern era, while y’all living on “success” from 2 generations ago :lol:
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,616

Post#1586 » by fatlever » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 am

lexington nc and shelby nc -> thats where to find true old school nc bbq. lucky for you lexington on way from raleigh to charlotte.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,235

Post#1587 » by amcoolio » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:36 am

LBC SoCal wrote:Hi all, I come in peace, hope you all are well and safe.

I’m doing a trip to Savannah/Charleston, but decided to add another week to check out North Carolina. 3 days in Raleigh and 4 days in Charlotte. In between I’m going to see Chapel Hill, Duram and Greensboro. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on bbq and the best pulled pork in those areas.

And what is there to do in Charlotte, if the locals have recommendations that are a must. Thanks all!

If you can, spend a day going up to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway (Blowing Rock/Boone). 1.5 hours from Charlotte but worth the drive. Great outdoor sights and activities up here.

If you do come to Blowing Rock, my restaurant we soak our pork butts in coca cola, root beer and apple cider vinegar, then rub with blackened seasoing before we cook. It makes the pork very tender and very flavorful. We use our pulled pork for Bahn Mi Sandwich and on a burger with Cheerwine BBQ sauce, American and bacon, but I can make a Carolina pork sandwich for you if you want
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#1588 » by Diop » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:00 am

Go Geelong, **** richmond
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1589 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:52 pm

LBC SoCal wrote:Hi all, I come in peace, hope you all are well and safe.

I’m doing a trip to Savannah/Charleston, but decided to add another week to check out North Carolina. 3 days in Raleigh and 4 days in Charlotte. In between I’m going to see Chapel Hill, Duram and Greensboro. Just wondering if anyone has recommendations on bbq and the best pulled pork in those areas.

And what is there to do in Charlotte, if the locals have recommendations that are a must. Thanks all!

Charleston, Edmund's Oast is a must. Plenty of fun tours and things to do.

In Raleigh the History Museum was by far my favorite. The Natural Science one is really good too. Glenwood Ave has a bajillion places to eat or drink, but the nearby Pit Authentic Barbecue is pretty well known.

Downtown Charlotte the Cellar at Duckworth's is by far my favorite place to eat, but there is plenty to choose from.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1590 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:56 pm

amcoolio wrote:If you do come to Blowing Rock, my restaurant we soak our pork butts in coca cola, root beer and apple cider vinegar, then rub with blackened seasoing before we cook. It makes the pork very tender and very flavorful. We use our pulled pork for Bahn Mi Sandwich and on a burger with Cheerwine BBQ sauce, American and bacon, but I can make a Carolina pork sandwich for you if you want

Both of my kids are up in Boone now, and I eat there every single time we drive up that way. Your place ROCKS.

I used to travel a ton and there are very few places that compare. I love what you've done with the booths recently too. Best of a bad situation, but it's really fun.

Edit: I really need to try your breakfast place next door too.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
_tijo_
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 335

Post#1591 » by _tijo_ » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Love Prime BBQ out in Knightdale, just outside of Raleigh
Who I woulda took:
2022: Duren | 2021: Bouknight, Jones | 2020: Ball | 2019: PJ | 2018: Porter Jr | 2017: Monk | 2016: Damian Jones | 2015: Winslow | 2014: Vonleh, Napier | 2013: McLemore | 2012: MKG | 2011: Knight, Kawhi
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#1592 » by yosemiteben » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:28 pm

If you're just going around NC for a week, you owe yourself a trip to Asheville. Go see the blue ridge parkway, cool downtown area with great food, tons of great breweries.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Off Topic VIII 

Post#1593 » by BigSlam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:45 pm

Diop wrote:Go Geelong, **** richmond

Now it’s done and dusted (pun intended), what are your thoughts on the night game time slot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#1594 » by Diop » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 pm

BigSlam wrote:

Now it’s done and dusted (pun intended), what are your thoughts on the night game time slot?

I didn’t hate it, was a good game to watch and it made it a sort of party night rather than a day drinking event. Grand final normally starts at noon for us
amcoolio

Post#1595 » by amcoolio » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:17 am

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
amcoolio wrote:If you do come to Blowing Rock, my restaurant we soak our pork butts in coca cola, root beer and apple cider vinegar, then rub with blackened seasoning before we cook. It makes the pork very tender and very flavorful. We use our pulled pork for Bahn Mi Sandwich and on a burger with Cheerwine BBQ sauce, American and bacon, but I can make a Carolina pork sandwich for you if you want

Both of my kids are up in Boone now, and I eat there every single time we drive up that way. Your place ROCKS.

I used to travel a ton and there are very few places that compare. I love what you've done with the booths recently too. Best of a bad situation, but it's really fun.

Edit: I really need to try your breakfast place next door too.

Thats awesome, thanks! Honestly I think Sunny Rock might be more popular at at this point :lol:
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,247

Post#1596 » by luciano-davidwesley » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:24 am

More of a go Penrith **** Melbourne man myself.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#1597 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:13 am

Diop wrote:
BigSlam wrote:

I didn’t hate it, was a good game to watch and it made it a sort of party night rather than a day drinking event. Grand final normally starts at noon for us

Although it was on at 4:30am here (didn’t bother me, I watched on delay) I loved it.

Thought it made for a much better visual spectacle and added some polish to the pregame and half time entertainment.

B B M F 'ers
amcoolio

Post#1598 » by amcoolio » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:55 am

I honestly long for moving to a new country and I've looked into Australia, NZ and Finland. The amount of negativity and stress living in America in its current climate has taken its toll. Its fun to look at properties and locations in foreign countries. Finland and New Zealand sound like lovely places to live.
James Gatz
Veteran
And1: 693

Post#1599 » by James Gatz » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:30 am

amcoolio what is the name of your place? I'll be in NC next week for the first time in a while. I don't think we'll make it to the mountains but want to know on the off chance we might.
amcoolio

Post#1600 » by amcoolio » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:08 pm

James Gatz wrote:amcoolio what is the name of your place? I'll be in NC next week for the first time in a while. I don't think we'll make it to the mountains but want to know on the off chance we might.

https://foggy-rock.com/webmenu2020.pdf and http://sunnyrockeggs.com

Thanks for the support guys

Return to Charlotte Hornets