ImageImage

Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Re: Prospect Spotlight -- Obi Toppin 

Post#41 » by King Ken » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:08 am

One minute you say Amar'e, the next minute Issac Austin. You might as well be Smokey from the PJs. You say anything

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#42 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:53 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:26 pm

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Latest Top 80 Rankings

5. Obi Toppin, F/C, Dayton | Sophomore

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 220 | Age: 22 | Previous Rank: 10

Toppin’s stock has risen to the point where he’s essentially a lock to go top-five, and he’s viewed as more of a sure thing in a relatively thin lottery class, with some teams willing to overlook his age and prioritize the here-and-now offensive contributions. Keeping perspective here is important—Toppin needs to add lower body strength and doesn’t move all that well laterally, which may eventually lead to him getting hunted on defense. He’s going to be more of a face-up big than low-post scorer, and his continued ability to hit corner threes and finish at a good clip is essential to his long-term success. Toppin is probably best off at power forward alongside a defensive-minded big. But there’s a good chance he’s ready to contribute immediately, and if everything translates, he could certainly justify an early pick.
SI.com
King Ken
General Manager

Post#44 » by King Ken » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:58 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Latest Top 80 Rankings

5. Obi Toppin, F/C, Dayton | Sophomore

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 220 | Age: 22 | Previous Rank: 10

Toppin’s stock has risen to the point where he’s essentially a lock to go top-five, and he’s viewed as more of a sure thing in a relatively thin lottery class, with some teams willing to overlook his age and prioritize the here-and-now offensive contributions. Keeping perspective here is important—Toppin needs to add lower body strength and doesn’t move all that well laterally, which may eventually lead to him getting hunted on defense. He’s going to be more of a face-up big than low-post scorer, and his continued ability to hit corner threes and finish at a good clip is essential to his long-term success. Toppin is probably best off at power forward alongside a defensive-minded big. But there’s a good chance he’s ready to contribute immediately, and if everything translates, he could certainly justify an early pick.
SI.com

He should be a lock to go in the 3 to be honest.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#45 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#46 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Obi Toppin sounds like the most popular prospect in the 2020 NBA draft...practically every scout and executive Bleacher Report has spoken with has expressed confidence in his potential, fit and character.

Teams are buying into Toppin's scoring carrying over based on his explosiveness, inside-out skill level and efficient volume production. And while they acknowledge the concerns about his defense, nobody seems too alarmed or ready to suggest they'll negate or neutralize his projected offensive output.

"Everything he does offensively translates," one scout told Bleacher Report.

"He has great touch with both hands, and his shooting looks like it could be replicated over and over," said one NBA executive. "A stretch 5 than can be a finisher is tough to ignore. He'll never be quick laterally, but he's capable."

there is a sense any team could take Toppin—including one he doesn't fit perfectly with like the Charlotte Hornets, Chicago Bulls, Cleveland Cavaliers or Atlanta Hawks—because of the stronger likelihood he receives a best-player-available nod over more divisive prospects. The Hawks just traded for Clint Capela, but his stock has fallen recently, and injuries have limited his availability. He's also on a relatively tradable contract. They could go all-in with offense and pair John Collins with Toppin.

He still falls under the perceived "safe" category with Tyrese Haliburton, Isaac Okoro, Deni Avdija and Onyeka Okongwu. But teams see more upside tied to Toppin's vertical bounce, three-point shot, post game and passing. The perception is that he offers the most favorable ratio of risk and reward.

Multiple NBA front office members told B/R they feel they can mask Toppin's defensive weaknesses by playing him at center, where he won't guard as much around the perimeter and can still use his athleticism for shot-blocking at the rim.

Toppin's age (22) has also rarely come up as a deterrent. Teams sound persuaded by his offense, which is something the Timberwolves (No. 24 in offensive rating), Hawks (No. 25), Cavaliers (No. 26), Hornets (No. 28) and Bulls (No. 29) could obviously use.

Asking around the league, it seems highly unlikely Toppin will make it to the Detroit Pistons at No. 7.
B/R
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:38 pm

2020 Draft Prospects Who Are the Most NBA-Ready

Obi Toppin (Dayton, PF/C, Sophomore)

Obi Toppin figures to be one of the more productive, efficient rookies. Though he's bound to struggle defensively, so will LaMelo Ball, Anthony Edwards and most others in the class.

Offensively, Toppin appears NBA-ready to continue finishing at a monster rate after leading the NCAA in dunks. His vertical explosiveness is tough to top, even by NBA standards.

But he can also generate offense with skill as a post player, shooter and passer. Scouts have confidence in his jump shot, and he regularly dished out beautiful assists at Dayton from the inside out to his guards and wings.

Toppin seems like a lock to average double figures in points with a field-goal percentage in the 50-60 range. For this class, that should be enough for him to make the All-Rookie first team regardless of how easily he's beaten in space or scored on near the block.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 1, 2020 6:39 am

This seems...short sighted:
Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#49 » by Spud2nique » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:33 am

Jamaaliver wrote:This seems...short sighted:
Read on Twitter

I can see the headlines now...Frank falters. Comon Francilla, your better than that! Seriously stick to the Euro dudes. If the numbers were flipped I’d but that.25/75 sounds more right to me. Dude’s lateral quickness is no bueno on D, he’s gonna get lit up like a Xmas tree, most likely around Xmas :lol:

Toppin to the Cavs or Pistons.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#50 » by King Ken » Sun Nov 1, 2020 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter

More like accurate
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#51 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Nov 1, 2020 5:05 pm

King Ken wrote:

Read on Twitter

More like accurate

I live in Ohio and have seen the kid Play live and in person.

The real defensive issue for Obi won’t be his ability to guard opposing PFs. It’ll come on defensive switches when he gets matched up against perimeter players, getting torched time and again by guards and small forwards.

Trae, Huerter and Cam would have a field day against him.
As would Kemba and Jaylen.
As would Jimmy and Herro.
And Kyrie and Durant.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#52 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:19 pm

Spud2nique wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I believe Obi Toppin is the best offensive player in this draft...

Obi Toppin...are we including guards? Still, he is a reach for us at 6 when we have Collins.

Obi isn't perfect offensively...but he has few flaws. Just incredibly well rounded.

Mike Schmitz wrote:Toppin has a strong case as an inside-out offensive juggernaut who will contend for Rookie of the Year while mostly playing the 4, which is an entirely different role than the other bigs [in this draft class].

I see Toppin as a ready-made starter who fits the modern game perfectly offensively and will thrive in the regular season. He's an elite north-south runner and arguably the best lob-catcher in the draft when at the 5, yet he can pop into catch-and-shoot 3s with ease at the 4. Toppin also has a tremendous feel for playing out of handoffs. While he benefited from playing the 5 with skill around him at Dayton, Toppin is also a huge reason that offense was so fluid with his willingness to keep the ball moving side to side, sprint into screens and make himself available without needing plays called for him.
ESPN Insider
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#53 » by Spud2nique » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Read on Twitter

More like accurate

The real defensive issue for Obi won’t be his ability to guard opposing PFs. It’ll come on defensive switches when he gets matched up against perimeter players, getting torched time and again by guards and small forwards.

And Kyrie and Durant.

I live in cali and saw Okongwu live. He has no flaws. There I said it. Do with that what you’d like. In fact, a couple of months down the road we will be starting new threads asking: Where would Onyeka have gone in the 2018 or 2019 draft, possibly high in those drafts as wel. This draft isn’t great but he’s a great player in it.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#54 » by King Ken » Sat Nov 7, 2020 7:37 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Read on Twitter

More like accurate

And Kyrie and Durant.

I watched every single game in its entirety. I trust my eyes more than I trust yours. I disagree.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#55 » by Spud2nique » Sat Nov 7, 2020 4:29 pm

King Ken wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:
King Ken wrote:More like accurate

And Kyrie and Durant.

I watched every single game in its entirety. I trust my eyes more than I trust yours. I disagree.

Both you need glasses!

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#56 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:47 am

2020 NBA Draft Big Board: Final Top 80 Prospect Rankings

7. Obi Toppin, F/C, Dayton | Sophomore

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 220 | Age: 22 | Previous Rank: 5

Toppin’s offensive versatility and athletic gifts will make him a rare 22-year-old lottery pick, after a breakout year at Dayton. Many teams view him as more of a sure thing in a relatively thin lottery class, and have been willing to overlook his age and prioritize the likelihood of his immediate contributions. Keeping perspective here is important—Toppin needs to add lower body strength and doesn’t move all that well laterally, which may eventually lead to him getting hunted on defense. He’s going to be more of a face-up big than low-post scorer, and his continued ability to hit corner threes and finish at a good clip is essential to his long-term success. He’s best off playing power forward alongside a defensive-minded big. But there’s a good chance Toppin is ready to contribute immediately, and if everything translates, he could certainly justify an early pick.
SI.com
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:33 am

Young man has been putting up stellar stats the last week+.

J Randle will likely be on the move very soon.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#58 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:48 am

He's showing signs of what to expect next season. The Knicks better not waste his talent.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#59 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Nov 8, 2022 6:52 pm

As a UD fan, I was partial to the kid coming into the draft.

He's a starter caliber player, without question. Not sure heh ever reaches All Star level, though.

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,903

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Tue Nov 8, 2022 9:00 pm

His field goal and free throw percentages are high. He's overall having a nice season.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Return to Atlanta Hawks