Best Offer For Kevon Looney and '21 T'Wolves 1st

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Best Offer For Kevon Looney and '21 T'Wolves 1st 

Post#21 » by Buzzard » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:38 pm

If Houston wants to add a great future asset, Covington is doable.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#22 » by Buzzard » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:40 pm

gswhoops wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
gswhoops wrote:Yeah then still no.

I think the expectation of a star for one pick is extreme. Most stars get traded for way more than that. Even the ones who want out like AD or George bring back more than that.

I don't disagree with you, but there's a huge gray area between AD/George and someone like Bertans. I don't expect we'll get a star-star for the pick straight up.

Harris, Bertans, Beverly, Smart, Covington. Its a future 1st and that makes it less valuable than knowing where its slotted, like #2 this year.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,260

Post#23 » by SNPA » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:50 pm

zimpy27 wrote:You're talking a quality young piece with that salary an pick.

Herro or Duncan from Miami
Terence Davis or Anunoby
Mitch Robinson (a reach)
John Collins (if Hawks don't want to pay him)
Mikal Bridges

Damn. Way better than what I was thinking they could get. They’d be idiots for not taking any of those (Mitch being the one reach as noted).
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,943

Post#24 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:07 pm

Terence Davis or Anunoby
Mitch Robinson (a reach)
Mikal Bridges

Hawks don't make this deal even if they don't want to pay Collins a MAX (which I don't think he gets):
1. That leaves the Hawks without a PF
2. We have Capela at Center, so Looney is redundant
3. too many variables of where the Minny pick can fall vs what we get from Collins on the court THIS season for a playoff push.

As for the other teams - Miami, Suns, Knicks wouldn't. Raptors may do Davis but not OG.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,041

Post#25 » by zimpy27 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 pm

jayu70 wrote:

Terence Davis or Anunoby
Mitch Robinson (a reach)
Mikal Bridges

Hawks don't make this deal even if they don't want to pay Collins a MAX (which I don't think he gets):
3. too many variables of where the Minny pick can fall vs what we get from Collins on the court THIS season for a playoff push.

As for the other teams - Miami, Suns, Knicks wouldn't. Raptors may do Davis but not OG.

Depends on the aim of some of these GMs.

The guys I listed are great role players and the 2021 looks like a great draft and Minny pick will be lottery. That means it's a chance for a star player. Plus you get a decent role player (Looney).

I think any of these trades are possible but it depends on team direction and belief that the pieces they have are enough for a championship. Only heat should feel that way.

Collins isn't getting Hawks to playoffs next season. Hawks were bottom 3 with him last season. Hawks are just too young
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,943

Post#26 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:57 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Terence Davis or Anunoby
Mitch Robinson (a reach)
Mikal Bridges

Depends on the aim of some of these GMs.

The guys I listed are great role players and the 2021 looks like a great draft and Minny pick will be lottery. That means it's a chance for a star player. Plus you get a decent role player (Looney).

I think any of these trades are possible but it depends on team direction and belief that the pieces they have are enough for a championship. Only heat should feel that way.

Collins isn't getting Hawks to playoffs next season. Hawks were bottom 3 with him last season. Hawks are just too young

Hawks may not get to the playoffs, but in the East it's a possibility.
1. Collins played in 41 games, missing 25 games after playing only 5 games due to suspension. Hawks without Collins went 4-21, with Collins after returning from suspension, IIRC 14-23, not great but the 'bottom 3 with him' requires context.
2. The Hawks were trotting out Alex Len and Damian Jones at C, they've significantly upgraded that major weakness with Capela and Dedmon.
4. Hawks had no backup PG, Evan Turner pretended to be one...hawks traded for Teague, may or may not be resigned, but he was already an upgrade from Turner.
3. $42 million in capspace should provide opportunities to fill in the roster with adequate bench guys instead of guys like Evan Turner, Allen Crabbe and Jabari Parker.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,718

Post#27 » by Ell Curry » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:27 pm

Wiggins and the Minnesota pick for Markannen and Otto Porter Jr? Chicago gets a chance at a star and maybe figures Donovan can develop Wiggins okay, and paying him 25M might not be a ton worse than extending Markannen soon for 20M or so a year.

Markannen-Draymond-PorterJr-Klay-Curry with any of Wiseman, Edwards or Ball as the 6th man and maybe someone like Crowder fro the MLE. Can always trade Porter's expiring at the deadline with a future 1st if they want someone locked into a deal instead.
Where's the D?
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#28 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:00 am

Telfaire wrote:Warriors should keep Looney, he's their best option as AD Stopper

Ad stopper? :-?
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#29 » by drosereturn » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:07 am

Wendell Jr.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,795

Post#30 » by shrink » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:13 am

NoZoLakers wrote:
Telfaire wrote:Warriors should keep Looney, he's their best option as AD Stopper

Maybe he meant that if their corporate sponsors had to watch Looney, they’d stop advertising with the Warriors?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,607

Post#31 » by NYG » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:34 am

Apz wrote:White +11 or the devonte sounds too much imo.

But most still seem to think the min 1 is a great price, while Im not sure that pick will be better then 11th. It might even be like the big price memphis pick this year. Now, I dont think min gets into the playoff, but its not impossible. Think teams learned their lesson and wont overpay for that pick tho, but many serms to act like its a guarenteed top 3 pick

I like the White + 11. The risk is high for the Spurs, but if they made follow-up moves trading LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay for best assets possible and tanked in 2020-21 themselves, they could end up with two top 10 picks in 2021 to rebuild around plus tons of cap space and a credible organization.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#32 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:10 pm

Looney, MIN 21 1st, #48
for
Bullock, #8.

Get a rotation wing, and draft a pg like Hali, or an athletic wing like Okoro or Vassel.

MLE/Wiseman/Chriss
Green/Paschall
Wiggins/Bullock
Klay/Hali
Steph/Hali
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#33 » by Telfaire » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:38 pm

shrink wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:

Maybe he meant that if their corporate sponsors had to watch Looney, they’d stop advertising with the Warriors?

From Wikipedia: "Looney emerged as the team's most dependable center and defended Anthony Davis adequately" (referring to the West semifinals series in the 2018 playoffs).
Ask Warriors' fans here.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 917

Post#34 » by jscott » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:13 pm

Telfaire wrote:
shrink wrote:
NoZoLakers wrote:Ad stopper? :-?

From Wikipedia: "Looney emerged as the team's most dependable center and defended Anthony Davis adequately" (referring to the West semifinals series in the 2018 playoffs).
Ask Warriors' fans here.

Are you really citing Wikipedia as an authority on who can play defense in the NBA?
Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#35 » by Telfaire » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:42 pm

jscott wrote:
Telfaire wrote:
shrink wrote:Maybe he meant that if their corporate sponsors had to watch Looney, they’d stop advertising with the Warriors?

Ask Warriors' fans here.

Are you really citing Wikipedia as an authority on who can play defense in the NBA?

I'm using them as a mere reference. I could refer you the series recap from which it was taken, but it's from a sports site with a pay wall. Like I said, get some knowledable Warrios' fans in here, they could give better praise than me.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#36 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Telfaire wrote:
jscott wrote:
Telfaire wrote:

Ask Warriors' fans here.

I'm using them as a mere reference. I could refer you the series recap from which it was taken, but it's from a sports site with a pay wall. Like I said, get some knowledable Warrios' fans in here, they could give better praise than me.

Looney is mildly effective against AD. He didn't get his lunch totally eaten, he's got the length to provide some resistance, but he doesn't have the athleticism to be an AD stopper in the truest sense of the word. He's an effective 6 fouls against AD, but honestly most of his defensive value comes not from stopping bigs but switching onto guards. Despite looking and moving like an arthritic inflatable tube man, he stones lots of guards and makes it really hard for them to burn him on drives. Don't know how he does it, but the Warriors don't survive either of our series against the CP3/Harden Rockets without Looney swallowing up perimeter players and forcing them into long jumpers.

Health will always be the question with Looney and from what we know, it seems very likely he only has five years left in him max -- he's got a neuropathic condition, in his first two years in the league he had surgery on both of his hips, Kawhi destroyed his collarbone in the 2019 Finals and that led to issues with Looney's abdominal/core area. I really don't know how long of a career his body can withstand, but when he's healthy he's a good facsimile for a less offensively adept Al Horford. If he could shoot out to the 3 and the Warriors could run pick and pops with the explicit intention of getting points out of Looney, he'd be a starter on any team in the league. But for the time being, he's not much of an offensive threat.

Return to Trades and Transactions