Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,008

Re: Free agents potentially of-interest 

Post#161 » by HMFFL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 am

From Rotoworld.com

Free agent guard Joe Harris met with Brooklyn's new head coach Steve Nash this week. 

All signs are pointing to Harris and the Nets quickly coming to terms on a new deal when free agency opens later this fall. Nets GM Sean Marks called re-signing Harris his No. 1 priority, and Nash is obviously on board with that. The feeling is mutual with Harris, who said his "ideal scenario" is to return to the Nets. That might be bad news for his fantasy value though, as he would be the No. 4 or No. 5 option on a loaded offense. 

SOURCE: NY Post

Sep 11, 2020, 10:18 AM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#162 » by D21 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:19 pm

shakes0 wrote:
D21 wrote:It's a situation thing, that's all. If Kuzma had been dealt instead of Ingram, Ingram would have get Kuzma stats with LAK, and Kuzma would have shined with NOP, and maybe got the MIP title.

:banghead: This is one of the more idiotic, baseless and devoid of logic statements I've ever read on this board.

Maybe my error was to not take the time to say that I've been checking some stats before writing... especially on the two previous years where they were playing in the same team, and they more or less had the same kind of impact, except that Kuzma was a bit more hurting the team defense than Ingram, but was the same "bit more" improving the team offense.
I suppose that several people on this board knew that I tend to check some numbers before giving any judgment on a player season, and not do this by what I watched only.

But no problem, it can happen to everybody, and I knew by writing it that I was going over my own logic, but I will assume because there's still a possibility that it's the truth, yes at least a possibility, and sometimes, you have to give a bit of "extreme" argument to open eyes, even your own eyes, to find the truth after that.
What I will keep is that Ingram was overrated this season, he was not a franchise player (I agree that he still can be) and his real impact was the one when playing with Williamson, and that giving a Max contract to a player like that, who played in a team without their best player most of the season, is a big big gamble on the future of your franchise.

And now, don't want to hurt you, but your answer, on this small quote of a longer post, without any argument proving that it would have never happened and that I was 100% wrong, looks a bit like "idiotic and baseless" too, but don't worry, it happened to other people too, and like me, it's your turn now to get a chance to add some arguments ;-)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#163 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm

A couple of vets I'd pursue on short term deals.

Goran Dragic, PG

Ideal Role: Sixth Man
FA Type: Unrestricted

Dragic was absolutely brilliant when healthy in the playoffs for the Miami Heat and could be looking for one last big payday at age 34.

The Hawks project to have the most cap space of any team and could use a veteran point guard behind Trae Young, especially with Jeff Teague hitting free agency, as well.

Dragic would resume the sixth-man role he filled for Miami during the regular season, serving as the leader of a Hawks team loaded with young talent and looking to make a playoff push as early as next season.

The Hawks' reserves averaged just 7.3 assists per game (22nd overall), and Dragic would help bump up Atlanta's NBA-worst 33.3 percent mark from three, as well.
Bleacher Report

Jae Crowder, PF

Ideal Role: Starting Power Forward
FA Type: Unrestricted

If the [Hawks] want to make the playoffs next year with a core of [Trae Young and John Collins], they'll need some defensive-minded veterans to do the dirty work.

Crowder, a 6'6" 235-pound muscular defender who can guard multiple positions...is good enough to keep the floor spread and doesn't need touches on offense to make an impact on games.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#164 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm

A very poorly written argument for signing Malik Beasley this summer.

Ideal landing spots for Malik Beasley in NBA free agency

Atlanta Hawks

The immediate direction for the Hawks in the offseason is unknown. What is certain though, is that they posses a roster full of talented, young players that’ll only get better with time. Beasley fits the mold in terms of what the Hawks will be aiming for in the considerable future. A vast majority of their players are either 24 or younger, making them one of the more youthful, if not the youngest team in the NBA.

Malik Beasley would be paired with Trae Young in the backcourt, which would add some reasonable size and athleticism . He could also be switched to the 3-spot for Cam Reddish on slow nights, given his shot-creation abilities along with the fact that he’s a capable defender.

This move doesn’t make the Hawks a title contender by any means, which isn’t what the Hawks are likely going for with a roster full of primarily young players that still need to develop. It does, however, lock up another building block for them for the future. For Beasley, he could cement his legacy alongside Young in A-town versus becoming a journeyman.
Clutch Points
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#165 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:36 pm

I wanted us to trade for him as part of the Capela deal as well, so I'm still onboard.
I've surmised if Minny drafts Edwards they may not resign him.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#166 » by Jamaaliver » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:46 pm

NBA Free Agency 2020: Predictions for Top Free Agents

Danilo Gallinari: Atlanta Hawks

There is a lot of talk about Danilo Gallinari becoming a key addition for a contender this offseason, with Dan Devine of The Ringer projecting he could join the Bucks, Celtics, Warriors, Nuggets or several other options if he takes the $9.3 million mid-level exception.

However, he made $22.6 million in 2019-20 and isn't going to take a pay cut for no reason.

"I have a kid on the way, my first one. So the decisions are going to be made by all, together," Gallinari said on the Truth and Basketball with George Karl podcast (h/t Eurohoops). "I think the best is looking at everything. I'm not saying I'm just going to go to teams that are going to fight for the championship because I don't know if they are going to call me."

This could indicate he will join a team willing to spend, which could include an Atlanta Hawks organization that has the most cap space in the NBA, per Spotrac.

Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer reported the Hawks will be "aggressive in free agency" as they "intend to push for the playoffs."

There aren't many game-changing players in free agency, but Gallinari could certainly help after averaging 18.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game. He was one of the top offensive options for the Oklahoma City Thunder, which finished fifth in the Western Conference.

He could have similar production for Atlanta, providing the team with another reliable weapon alongside Trae Young and John Collins.
Bleacher Report
tbhawksfan1
Analyst
And1: 2,034

Post#167 » by tbhawksfan1 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm so high on Hunter / Cam future that I think it's best to look for back up additions and let the kids get their minutes and develop. Bring in help; yes, but not at the cost of core development. Unless TS gets a steal of course
jayu70
RealGM

Post#168 » by jayu70 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:15 pm

Pelicans to re-sign Brandon Ingram real quick

Will Guillory: As far as Brandon Ingram goes, I heard basically throughout the entire year that it was just a matter of time before they gave him his big contract. I think they feel really good about his fit with this team and the growth he showed last year. As a shooter, as the guy who was willing to take on the responsibility of being that No. 1 scorer, the guy who has that kind of burden every night, I think they love his fit next to Zion. So I think he’s going to get a huge contract. And they’re going to take care of that really quickly. – via The Woj Pod
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#169 » by HMFFL » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:59 pm

jayu70 wrote:Pelicans to re-sign Brandon Ingram real quick

Will Guillory: As far as Brandon Ingram goes, I heard basically throughout the entire year that it was just a matter of time before they gave him his big contract. I think they feel really good about his fit with this team and the growth he showed last year. As a shooter, as the guy who was willing to take on the responsibility of being that No. 1 scorer, the guy who has that kind of burden every night, I think they love his fit next to Zion. So I think he’s going to get a huge contract. And they’re going to take care of that really quickly. – via The Woj Pod
New Orleans is in no position to lose potential star players so they must max him. A great deal of teams would max him anyways.

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#170 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sat Nov 7, 2020 3:34 am

If somehow this works out that Hayward opts out and signs with us, I for one won't be too very surprised to see his old Jazz friend and Atlanta native Derrick Favors end up joining him. We do have a slot for one more low post player, and though I personally prefer to see Christian Wood pursued, Favors still has something a couple or three decent years left in the tank.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#171 » by HMFFL » Sat Nov 7, 2020 9:50 am

_s_t_u_r_t_ wrote:If somehow this works out that Hayward opts out and signs with us, I for one won't be too very surprised to see his old Jazz friend and Atlanta native Derrick Favors end up joining him. We do have a slot for one more low post player, and though I personally prefer to see Christian Wood pursued, Favors still has something a couple or three decent years left in the tank.
Favors to Atlanta has been mentioned on here for 10yrs or more...lol
Maybe he finally happens. If so, I hope he's cheap.

jayu70
RealGM

Post#172 » by jayu70 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:22 am

General manager Travis Schlenk has the means necessary to ensure the Hawks are in playoff contention this season. There’s no reason to not fill out the roster with quality players, even if there’s not a megastar to throw money at this year. With that said, I’ve heard as of now to not expect the Hawks to be aggressive with some of the bigger names out there like Fred VanVleet or restricted free agents Brandon Ingram or Bogdan Bogdanovic. That could change depending on what happens in the draft. One source said he expects the team to be “aggressive but smart,” that one player in the class isn’t going to dramatically alter the direction of the franchise but two or three players can.

“We’re not just going to pay a guy so we can look good on paper,” he said.

https://theathletic.com/2195389/2020/11/13/atlanta-hawks-travis-schlenk-nba-offseason/
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#173 » by Radioblacktive1 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:33 am

Trust in Travis
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#174 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:29 am

One name to remove from FA list:

Read on Twitter
Radioblacktive1
Senior
And1: 554

Post#175 » by Radioblacktive1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:57 am

I would think Fournier believes in himself a lil more than that.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#176 » by Spud2nique » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:37 am

Jamaaliver wrote:One name to remove from FA list:

Read on Twitter

Oh thank god. I didn’t want him. Can you imagine him and Trae. Both balding. We can’t have that. This is a good thing. :nod:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#177 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:59 am

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I would think Fournier believes in himself a lil more than that.
Tim Hardaway Jr. excerjsed his player option, too. I believe covid is a factor. Next off-season the cap will increase if covid is no longer a thing.

raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 507

Post#178 » by raleigh » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:01 pm

Radioblacktive1 wrote:I would think Fournier believes in himself a lil more than that.

This was exactly my thought, too. Perhaps he wants to join a better team next year?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#179 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:00 pm

It's official he's opting out and I hope we pursue him.

Shams Charania: Lakers starter Kentavious Caldwell-Pope will decline his 2020-21 player option and enter free agency, sources tell @The Athletic @Stadium. He’s expected to have several suitors at start of free agency — and teams are under impression he’s open to offers.

– via Twitter ShamsCharania

Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#180 » by Spud2nique » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:59 pm

Ok it’s time. What I’d like to see:

Hawks stay flexible and make smart decisions. Don’t overthink.

Celtics: To not find a partner to move up in the draft.

Warriors: lick the floors. BOYCOTT DEALING WITH THE RATS!

Return to Atlanta Hawks