ImageImageImage

Optimal 2020 Nuggets Off-Season

Moderator: THE J0KER

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Optimal 2020 Nuggets Off-Season 

Post#1 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:46 am

OK, let's dream and have some FUN. Here's one offseason that I would like to see, feel free to give me some feedback and maybe share yours as well

Current roster:

C Jokic, Bol
PF {Bol}
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar
SG Harris, Barton
PG Murray, Morris, Dozier

Trades:
1) Barton to POR for Hood, the 16th pick in 2020 draft, 2021 MIA 1st and 2020 pick #50, OKC gets PF/C Collins
POR acquires the SF they desire, rids themselves of Hood's contract, moves on PF/C Collins for the 16th pick.
DEN gets SG/SF Jay Scrubbs at 50th pick, Hood's contract comes off the cap after this year plus the pick up pick 16
OKC gets the PFOTF now for a late 2021 1st and a mid-2020 2nd rder

2) Morris, 22 & 16 to SAS for 11th pick and Luka Samanic
Morris is a Pop guy to replace Mills in 2021. Swaps 12 for 16 (Saddiq Bey)adds perfect SF, at 22 (Zeke Nnaji) to replace Samanic
DEN gets a chance to pick up 12th pick which turns into Devin Vassell, Luka just to match salaries

New roster:

C Jokic, Bol
PF Samanic
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar, Hood
SG Harris, Vassell, Scrubb
PG Murray, Dozier

Free Agency:

Denver resigns PF Grant 4yrs for $64MM. Denver gets it's best Free Agent back in the fold.

Denver uses MLE to sign Danillo Gallinari for 3-yr (2+1PO) for $24MM, strengthens the bench and provides versatility.

Denver finishes using MLE on C DeMarcus Cousins to 2-yr (1+1TO) for $5.5MM. He provides size, some scoring and has experience.

Final roster:

C Jokic, Cousins, Bol
PF Grant, Gallo, Samanic
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar
SG Harris, Vassell, Hood
PG Murray, Dozier
Tyler Cook, Jay Scrubb (2-way)

If you're gonna dream, might as well be BIG, right ??? Welcome to your 2021 NBA Champions !!

Have at it.....
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Re: Optimal 2020 Nuggets Off-Season 

Post#2 » by TunaFish » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:45 am

I think Cousins is a big question mark.

I am counting on Grant resigning and being nominally a power forward. If he does resign and if MPJ starts, I could see a lot of switching to maximize their defense skills or to cover for deficiencies.

I also think that Bol might be used more as a wing. Bol could swing between forward positions depending on defensive assignments but he might fit as a backup in MPJ's role and also, as a true stretch 4. Imagine 6'10 and 7'0 small forward wings. We could call them the "baby Durant" line, wouldn't it be nice if both could blossom at the same time. Size and shooting ability, TC made some nice picks here.

I would like the signing of Favors as a backup power forward/center. He won't come cheap but he might see an opportunity to play for a title. I see Willie Cauley-Stein as a cheap alternative at 3rd center or if Favors gets a contract elsewhere he could be the answer at backup Center. I like Christian Wood here but I think that is too much of a long shot.

I am not as familiar with the rest of Skywalker's proposals but I am interested in what others may think.

Her's my take:

C Jokic, Favors (with minutes at 2 positions), Cauley-Stein
PF Grant, Bol (with minutes at 2 or more positions)
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar
SG Harris, Barton (with minutes at 2 positions and a key sixth man)

5 guards, 5 forwards and 3 centers. Two free agent pickups and both can play center as well as power forward. Plumlee, Millsap, Vonleh and Craig are gone. We make a draft pick that we keep.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 am

Dream? Or Realistic? Or Dreaming it might be realistic? :lol: I'm not sure which, but here goes.

Jokic
Cancar - Bol
Porter - Bates-Diop
Harris - Barton
Murray - Morris - Dozier

Free Agent signings can not be for large salaries
Re-sign Grant
Trade Harris & Morris & #22 2020 & unprotected 1st 2022
- - - - for Gordon, Isaac, Bamba
Sign Dwight Howard
Sign Danilo Gallinari
Sign Wes Matthews

Jokic - Howard - Bol
Grant - Gallinari - Isaac - Cancar
Porter - Gordon - Bates-Diop
Barton - Matthews
Murray - Dozier

Add another player or two via 2nd pick or G-League or Exception or Vet Min or FA
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#4 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Spoiler:
skywalker33 wrote:OK, let's dream and have some FUN. Here's one offseason that I would like to see, feel free to give me some feedback and maybe share yours as well

Current roster:

C Jokic, Bol
PF {Bol}
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar
SG Harris, Barton

Trades:
1) Barton to POR for Hood, the 16th pick in 2020 draft, 2021 MIA 1st and 2020 pick #50, OKC gets PF/C Collins
POR acquires the SF they desire, rids themselves of Hood's contract, moves on PF/C Collins for the 16th pick.
DEN gets SG/SF Jay Scrubbs at 50th pick, Hood's contract comes off the cap after this year plus the pick up pick 16
OKC gets the PFOTF now for a late 2021 1st and a mid-2020 2nd rder

2) Morris, 22 & 16 to SAS for 11th pick and Luka Samanic
Morris is a Pop guy to replace Mills in 2021. Swaps 12 for 16 (Saddiq Bey)adds perfect SF, at 22 (Zeke Nnaji) to replace Samanic
DEN gets a chance to pick up 12th pick which turns into Devin Vassell, Luka just to match salaries

New roster:

C Jokic, Bol
PF Samanic
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar, Hood
SG Harris, Vassell, Scrubb
PG Murray, Dozier

Free Agency:

Denver resigns PF Grant 4yrs for $64MM. Denver gets it's best Free Agent back in the fold.

Denver uses MLE to sign Danillo Gallinari for 3-yr (2+1PO) for $24MM, strengthens the bench and provides versatility.

Denver finishes using MLE on C DeMarcus Cousins to 2-yr (1+1TO) for $5.5MM. He provides size, some scoring and has experience.

Final roster:

C Jokic, Cousins, Bol
PF Grant, Gallo, Samanic
SF MPJ, KDB, Cancar
SG Harris, Vassell, Hood
PG Murray, Dozier
Tyler Cook, Jay Scrubb (2-way)

If you're gonna dream, might as well be BIG, right ??? Welcome to your 2021 NBA Champions !!

Have at it.....

It is an interesting dream, I would prefer keeping Collins as opposed to sending him to OKC in your 1st deal, but you have always been much more of a draft guy than I have been.

I do not see the Spurs trading Samanic at all, especially for another guard with White, D Murray, Walker, and Forbes all still developing.

I do not like your lack of depth at SG as you have a guy currently out with an Achilles, a rookie, and Harris. Losing Morris means that you cannot move a PG over there so easily, and Cancar/KBD/ and MPJ would struggle against most small guards right now.

I also do not like depending on Cousins with his injuries and Bol with his injury history as our only backup Centers.

Also your cousins contract would not be legal, the MLE was slated to be $9.7 million this year and must be for 3 years. Gallo signing a 3year $8 million per would mean that Cousins has to start somewhere around $2.1 million and have to be for 3 years. We could use the BAE depending on cap/luxury tax after your deals (I have not ran the numbers and you are hard capped using the full MLE and BAE), but that pays $3.8 per year on a 2 year deal.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:00 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Dream? Or Realistic? Or Dreaming it might be realistic? :lol: I'm not sure which, but here goes.

Jokic
Cancar - Bol
Porter - Bates-Diop
Harris - Barton
Murray - Morris - Dozier

Re-sign Grant
Sign Dwight Howard
Sign Danilo Gallinari
Sign Wes Matthews

Jokic - Howard - Bol
Barton - Matthews
Murray - Dozier

Add another player or two via 2nd pick or G-League or Exception or Vet Min or FA

I am not a fan of Gordon on his deal, and he has a long history of struggling at SF.

I had not thought about adding HOward at backup Center, that is an interesting thought and would actually be a good signing if he truly has his attitude issues dealt with.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Spoiler:
NuggetsWY wrote:Dream? Or Realistic? Or Dreaming it might be realistic? :lol: I'm not sure which, but here goes.

Jokic
Cancar - Bol
Porter - Bates-Diop
Harris - Barton
Murray - Morris - Dozier

Re-sign Grant
Sign Dwight Howard
Sign Danilo Gallinari
Sign Wes Matthews

Jokic - Howard - Bol
Barton - Matthews
Murray - Dozier

I am not a fan of Gordon on his deal, and he has a long history of struggling at SF.

I had not thought about adding Howard at backup Center, that is an interesting thought and would actually be a good signing if he truly has his attitude issues dealt with.

Yeah, I get it on Gordon, but if we pick up Isaac too - he's worth the gamble. Orlando can't use Isaac until he's healthy and we can afford to wait and gamble. I don't see Gordon as an SF but I don't see him as a PF either. With Grant at PF and Porter at SF plus our other players, Gordon makes a nice 3rd option that can help in case of injuries. Just my thinking.

I didn't start with Howard in mind TBH. I was thinking McGee - but then I realized Howard is a FA and I think he would appreciate being on a team where he'd probably get a little more playing time than he would in LA. I love his attitude and he can provide low-post scoring, defense, and rebounding. He'd be quite a bit different from Jokic but they might even be able to play together. I've decided he's my favorite FA target for the Nuggets.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:10 pm

My dream offseason would go something like this

Trade Barton, Morris, Bol, and Bates-Diop for Satoransky, Hutchison, W Carter JR, Zach Collins, 46h pick

Trailblazers get Barton and KBD for Hood, Collins, 16th overall picks, and 46th overall pick. Blazers get 2 forwards who could be starters for them right now while dumping bad money in Hood, for the costs of a guy who they are disappointed in and a couple of picks in a weak draft.

Bulls get Hood, Bol, Morris, and the 16th overall pick for Satoransky, Hutchison, and WCJ
Bulls get a year off of Satoransky's deal and pick up a starting PG which they need, Bol was someone that AK always seemed high on and Carter JR is still pretty raw.

Draft Pokusevski at 22nd and stash him for a year
Draft Scrubb and sign to 2 way deal

Murray/ Dozier/ Hampton
Harris/ Satoransky/ Scrubb
MPJ/ Hutchison/
Collins/ Cancar
Jokic/ Carter JR.

Leaves us with $104.7 on the salary cap

Re-sign Grant for the reported 4 year $54 million starting at $14.9 m

Sign Bogdan Bogdanovic to the full 4 year MLE deal starting at $9.7 million

Sign Marc Gasol for the BAE with the understanding he only plays spot minutes depending on matchups or injuries until the playoffs where it will depend on matchups.

Re-sign Vonleh to a minimum deal $2.2 million

Murray/Dozier/ SAtoransky
Harris/ Bogdanovic/ Scrubb
MPJ/ Hutchison/ Cancar
Grant/ Collins/ Vonleh
Jokic/ WCJ/ Gasol

Leaves us at about $135.2 million, or about $3.8 million under the tax so even if Harris hits incentives we should be fine.

It gives us a bench that is young, versatile, and can score, with a couple of veterans on the deep bench to provide leadership to the young bench when needed. I believe this team has the talent and depth that we can matchup with any of the contenders and if MPJ is what I think he is than we can start winning championships next year.
skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:06 pm

The Rebel wrote:It is an interesting dream, I would prefer keeping Collins as opposed to sending him to OKC in your 1st deal, but you have always been much more of a draft guy than I have been.

I know you like Collins,so I knew this would come up but he hasn't exactly lit POR up on fire (poor coaching ?). He'd be a backup here in Denver, albeit a good defensive backup IMO, the kid is young so maybe we do keep him. But for trading him we get SG/SF Jay Scrubb who I think can replace Barton as well as a late 1st in a better draft than this one. And honestly, we all know this team has been built thru the draft, it gives the Nuggets some flexibility as well.

The Rebel wrote:I do not see the Spurs trading Samanic at all, especially for another guard with White, D Murray, Walker, and Forbes all still developing.

I just used Samaric as cap fodder, we can replace with Metu or even Tyler Zeller. And I just believe Morris is more of a Popovich type guy, he's definitely a better PG prospect than Forbes but I look at him replace the 35yo Mills. Forbes is more of a small SG IMO.

The Rebel wrote:I do not like your lack of depth at SG as you have a guy currently out with an Achilles, a rookie, and Harris. Losing Morris means that you cannot move a PG over there so easily, and Cancar/KBD/ and MPJ would struggle against most small guards right now.

I believe Vassell can play pertinent NBA mins right now, it's why I traded up for him. Hood ruptured his ACL back in Dec 2019, has reportedly been dunking the ball in workouts since June, so I can see him being back to play some support mins by Jan 2021. Also, Murray and Dozier can both slide over to SG in a pinch.

The Rebel wrote:Also your Cousins contract would not be legal, the MLE was slated to be $9.7 million this year and must be for 3 years. Gallo signing a 3year $8 million per would mean that Cousins has to start somewhere around $2.1 million and have to be for 3 years. We could use the BAE depending on cap/luxury tax after your deals (I have not ran the numbers and you are hard capped using the full MLE and BAE), but that pays $3.8 per year on a 2 year deal.

Gallo's contract could be backloaded and we could do a 2+1 for Cousins, if we wanted to rid ourselves I'd bet he'd be tradable if proven healthy. As you suggested, we may even have cap space or could use the BAE so it is feasible, let the Salary Cap guru's figure it out in detail.

skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:38 pm

The Rebel wrote:My dream offseason would go something like this

Trade Barton, Morris, Bol, and Bates-Diop for Satoransky, Hutchison, W Carter JR, Zach Collins, 46h pick

Trailblazers get Barton and KBD for Hood, Collins, 16th overall picks, and 46th overall pick. Blazers get 2 forwards who could be starters for them right now while dumping bad money in Hood, for the costs of a guy who they are disappointed in and a couple of picks in a weak draft.

Bulls get Hood, Bol, Morris, and the 16th overall pick for Satoransky, Hutchison, and WCJ
Bulls get a year off of Satoransky's deal and pick up a starting PG which they need, Bol was someone that AK always seemed high on and Carter JR is still pretty raw.

Murray/ Dozier/ Hampton
MPJ/ Hutchison/
Collins/ Cancar
Jokic/ Carter JR.

Sign Marc Gasol for the BAE with the understanding he only plays spot minutes depending on matchups or injuries until the playoffs where it will depend on matchups.

MPJ/ Hutchison/ Cancar
Grant/ Collins/ Vonleh
Jokic/ WCJ/ Gasol

Leaves us at about $135.2 million, or about $3.8 million under the tax so even if Harris hits incentives we should be fine.

It gives us a bench that is young, versatile, and can score, with a couple of veterans on the deep bench to provide leadership to the young bench when needed. I believe this team has the talent and depth that we can match up with any of the contenders and if MPJ is what I think he is then we can start winning championships next year.

Ya had to go do it didn't you !!

I really like my proposal but I really like yours as well. Can't say how much I love the idea of Marc Gasol probably enough for me to abandon my Cousin plan but Gasol may want to go back to Spain as Pau did. Even so, worth putting out there. The only thing I'm not crazy about is Pokusevski. He looks like Dragan Bender to me, even skinnier. I've looked at the video of him but looks like he playing against subpar competition, which makes him look better than he really is. That said, he could be our next Bol, stashing him could be beneficial for our future as well.

Great job, Rebel !

So who's got more, "what is it that you truly desire ??" Yes, binging Lucifer again.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:It is an interesting dream, I would prefer keeping Collins as opposed to sending him to OKC in your 1st deal, but you have always been much more of a draft guy than I have been.

I know you like Collins,so I knew this would come up but he hasn't exactly lit POR up on fire (poor coaching ?). He'd be a backup here in Denver, albeit a good defensive backup IMO, the kid is young so maybe we do keep him. But for trading him we get SG/SF Jay Scrubb who I think can replace Barton as well as a late 1st in a better draft than this one. And honestly, we all know this team has been built thru the draft, it gives the Nuggets some flexibility as well.

I like Collins for 3 reasons, he plays solid defense, he loves to mix it up and is not afraid to fight with guys, and he is young enough to still grow. His injury last year set him back, but I think he is more than capable of being what we need as a 3rd big.

While we have built the core of this team through the draft, we have gotten most of our role players through trades and free agency. Barton, Plumlee, and Grant all came through trades. Millsap, Dozier, and Craig came through free agency. That is more than half of our rotation. Young guys that we can get coached up seems to be what we do best, regardless of how we get them.

skywalker33 wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I do not see the Spurs trading Samanic at all, especially for another guard with White, D Murray, Walker, and Forbes all still developing.

I just used Samaric as cap fodder, we can replace with Metu or even Tyler Zeller. And I just believe Morris is more of a Popovich type guy, he's definitely a better PG prospect than Forbes but I look at him replace the 35yo Mills. Forbes is more of a small SG IMO.

That's too bad, I would love for you to convince me that we could get Samanic.

skywalker33 wrote:

I believe Vassell can play pertinent NBA mins right now, it's why I traded up for him. Hood ruptured his ACL back in Dec 2019, has reportedly been dunking the ball in workouts since June, so I can see him being back to play some support mins by Jan 2021. Also, Murray and Dozier can both slide over to SG in a pinch.

I will defer to you on Vassell, but not a single one of us truly believe that Harris can be healthy for a full season right now, and Hood was a left Achilles according to ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28240968/trail-blazers-rodney-hood-tears-left-achilles-tendon
While he maybe dunking now, 1 of the issues is that a tore achilles seems to cause other issues due to the changes in the leg and it takes years to overcome that. Like Cousins, Hood maybe effective but I would not count on him playing major minutes anytime soon.
skywalker33 wrote:

Gallo's contract could be backloaded and we could do a 2+1 for Cousins, if we wanted to rid ourselves I'd bet he'd be tradable if proven healthy. As you suggested, we may even have cap space or could use the BAE so it is feasible, let the Salary Cap guru's figure it out in detail.
[/quote][/quote]

Like I said you could give Cousins a BAE contract, that works out to $3.8 million in the 1st year and a team option on the 2nd, I doubt any team offers more than that for him considering how little he has played since the Achilles tear.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by The Rebel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:22 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Spoiler:
The Rebel wrote:My dream offseason would go something like this

Murray/ Dozier/ Hampton
MPJ/ Hutchison/
Collins/ Cancar
Jokic/ Carter JR.

MPJ/ Hutchison/ Cancar
Grant/ Collins/ Vonleh
Jokic/ WCJ/ Gasol

It gives us a bench that is young, versatile, and can score, with a couple of veterans on the deep bench to provide leadership to the young bench when needed. I believe this team has the talent and depth that we can match up with any of the contenders and if MPJ is what I think he is then we can start winning championships next year.

Ya had to go do it didn't you !!

I really like my proposal but I really like yours as well. Can't say how much I love the idea of Marc Gasol probably enough for me to abandon my Cousin plan but Gasol may want to go back to Spain as Pau did. Even so, worth putting out there. The only thing I'm not crazy about is Pokusevski. He looks like Dragan Bender to me, even skinnier. I've looked at the video of him but looks like he playing against subpar competition, which makes him look better than he really is. That said, he could be our next Bol, stashing him could be beneficial for our future as well.

Great job, Rebel !

So who's got more, "what is it that you truly desire ??" Yes, binging Lucifer again.

Thank you.

I picked Gasol because if you look at that roster we have 2 young bigs that need time to develop, but we need a dependable guy who can play effective minutes when needed. With his outside shot, his passing, and his defense, than I would have been perfectly comfortable having him play minutes against the Lakers in the conference finals. You are right he may go back to Spain, and in that case my 2nd choice is actually Howard. I am not a huge fan of Cousins, his attitude in the past bugs me, and his lack of defensive effort for so long just makes me wonder if he will put in the effort long term. Plus I do not trust his health at all.

Pokusevski may or may not work out, but from all reports he is open to staying in Europe for another year, and his upside is enough to take the risk for me. PLus I love his passing, and if you remember Jokic was playing in a similar type of league when we drafted him, and only really took off the year after we picked him. I am hoping for a 2nd strike of lightening, but even if he only developed into a rotation guy that is still a win at 22nd with a draft and stash. Obviously my team has a lot of young borderline starters off the bench, if they develop we will not be able to afford them all in a couple of years. We are going to need young guys who can come in and at least be borderline rotation guys. He is the start to stacking those guys up again.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#12 » by THE J0KER » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:02 am

OPTIMAL:
PG Holiday
SG Murray
SF Porter
PF Grant
C Jokic
6th Morris
backup(F) MLE
backup(C) MLE
Craig
KBD

In a worst-case scenario, without Grant re-sign and Jrue trade, send Jrue package (Harris+Barton+Bol+#22) to Indiana to get Myles Turner, buy Gallinari or re-sign Millsap as 6th man, and buy for starting SG spot Beasley :wink: /Crowder/Bogdanovic/Clarkson from FA market.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:30 am

THE J0KER wrote:OPTIMAL:
PG Holiday
SG Murray
SF Porter
PF Grant
C Jokic
6th Morris
backup(F) MLE
backup(C) MLE
Craig
KBD

In a worst-case scenario, without Grant re-sign and Jrue trade, send Jrue package (Harris+Barton+Bol+#22) to Indiana to get Myles Turner, buy Gallinari or re-sign Millsap as 6th man, and buy for starting SG spot Beasley :wink: /Crowder/Bogdanovic/Clarkson from FA market.

I could live with that.

I think Gallinari is going to get a lot of interest - I'm not sure Denver is going to want to get in a bidding war for a player that will likely only be a contributor for a year or two (like we did with Millsap). But I surely would love to add him to the Nuggets again.

Is Beasley going to get a lot of interest? He made some bad off-court decisions, but I don't think it will hurt him too much. If there is to be a bidding war, I think it will still be less intense than for Gallinari. I've always liked his game, so it would be nice to bring him back.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm

A lot of great suggestions here, Favor, Holiday, Gasol would all improve this team and I can't say any are out of reach. I think this team has a lot of options for the bench too, an area I feel really needs addressing for the playoffs (bye-bye Plumlee). Another thing we can't overlook is the growth and development of players like Dozier, Bol and KBD along with any draft pick(s) we make.

Really hope TC and Booth are on their games, this should be a pivotal off-season.

stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#15 » by stoo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:05 am

Optimal:
Keep bol bol, mpj, dozier
Keep Monte unless he is used in acquiering a floor general with better scoring
Sign Grant
Get another scoring guard with solid defense
Get switchable big body for defense, that can also stretch the floor
Garry Harris and Barton as assets to acquire a top guard or a top forward. Other one can be got as an FA or even drafted. Draft a smart player
NotSinceWilt
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#16 » by THE J0KER » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:50 pm

stoo wrote:Optimal:
Sign Grant
Garry Harris and Barton as assets to acquire a top guard or a top forward. Other one can be got as an FA or even drafted. Draft a smart player

If we keep MPJ, Grant, and Bol, trading Harris and Barton for a notable forward would be a mistake. That eventual trade for a notable forward makes sense only if we do not re-sign Grant, otherwise, our weakest spot (Murray's backcourt support) will be even weaker.
stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by stoo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:46 pm

THE J0KER wrote:
Sign Grant

If we keep MPJ, Grant, and Bol, trading Harris and Barton for a notable forward would be a mistake. That eventual trade for a notable forward makes sense only if we do not re-sign Grant, otherwise, our weakest spot (Murray's backcourt support) will be even weaker.

I think you are right. I would still look for a big defensive 4/5
I think PJ will get Garry's position as a defensive guard. We need somebody who can play next to Murray, as well as the primary creator and a scorer, to do it when Murray is off the court, next to Monte or PJ.
NotSinceWilt
skywalker33

Post#18 » by skywalker33 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:17 pm

stoo wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:
Sign Grant

I think PJ will get Garry's position as a defensive guard. We need somebody who can play next to Murray, as well as the primary creator and a scorer, to do it when Murray is off the court, next to Monte or PJ.

I think you're on the right track but can you tells us WHO you want for those additions and How you're gonna get there ??

stoo
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by stoo » Tue Nov 3, 2020 12:26 am

skywalker33 wrote:
stoo wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:If we keep MPJ, Grant, and Bol, trading Harris and Barton for a notable forward would be a mistake. That eventual trade for a notable forward makes sense only if we do not re-sign Grant, otherwise, our weakest spot (Murray's backcourt support) will be even weaker.

I think you're on the right track but can you tells us WHO you want for those additions and How you're gonna get there ??

well i don't know all the trading rules and every player's contract details, but I can try to imagine something realistic.

If we keep Murray, Monte and Dozier, we need a scoring playmaker with defense, and only free agent available is VanVleet (and maybe Bogdan Bogdanovic)
Him and Murray would be the starting backcourt that plays most minutes together, and take turns going to the bench, so 1 of them is always on the court. Murray+Monte would be a duo to get the least amount of minutes together.
I will assume that we will keep Dozier as a defensive guard who also playmakes, and trade Harris (+ maybe Barton and anything else that has to be attached to it) to get that guard we need. It can also be a multi-team trade. In essence, we need 4 guards, and if Monte or especially PJ make a scoring leap next season, we might trade only Barton for a big wing

Guard trade targets: Conley, Schroder, Rubio, Jrue, Bledsoe, Smart, Chris Paul, Oladipo, Levert, Rondo...

Bigs are easier to find, and we have FAs: Serge Ibaka, Christian Wood, Chris Boucher, Nerlens Noel, Wenyen Gabriel, Aron Baynes.
Trade targets: Covington, Hayes, Naz Reed, Miles Turner, Jae, Horford, Aaron Gordon, Larry Nance jr...

If Grant doesn't resign with us, we will need 2 Grant type of players
This is a deep draft, so I believe Denver will draft nicely. Big defensive specialist that can contribute immediately should be there to pick at 22, unless we trade the pick.

my ideal squad would look something like: Murray, VanVleet/Jrue, Monte, PJ Dozier, Grant, MPJ, Bol Bol, Jokic, Ibaka/Horford
and fill the roster with cheap 3&D guys

So, trade for Jrue and sign Ibaka, or trade for Horford/Covington/Turner and sign FredVV
NotSinceWilt
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 4:40 am

Not a bad look at the Nuggets off-season, but nothing awe-inspiring:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/2020-nba-offseason-preview-denver-nuggets.html

Return to Denver Nuggets