ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Knicks pursue Morey? UPDATE: Morey to Philly

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Should the Knicks Pursue Morey?

Hell Yes
44%
Hell No
56%

Total votes: 59

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Re: Should the Knicks pursue Morey? 

Post#61 » by WargamesX » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:44 pm

Phish Tank wrote:I see the NBA Media community has begun the process of eulogizing Morey. Yes, he made analytics mainstream and he introduced various trade quirks like reverse pick protections to make the most out a dollar. But let's stop saying all the faults are on the owner. Morey made these moves and should be held culpable for them.

CP3 extension, Westbrook trade, Eric Gordon contract, trading picks away, all that stuff isn't just on the owner. It's on him.

The rest of the league has formed analytics teams. Outside of the Westbrook/George trades, teams also aren't giving away picks like Halloween. The competitive advantage has evened out. Morey's plan just didn't work this season and the 3s or bust approach he embraced with D'Antoni isn't a result of a ownership that doesn't want to spend money.

The Ringer, The Jump, and the rest gotta stop eulogizing Morey. Please.

This is how I feel exactly. He made bad moves because he thought they would be successful. Investing so heavily in D’antoni and his system was one of them. In hindsight the best thing he ever did was hoodwink Presti for Harden and considering the owner didn’t want to pay the money to keep Harden..... he Kind of got lucky. Considering Presti then got him to pay for a CP3/Westbrook trade that was a wash...... The Harden trade seems even less special.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,613

Post#62 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:09 am

If this is true...

"That trade was made because Tilman Fertitta wanted it made -- he thought Chris Paul's contract was the worst that he'd ever seen in business or sports -- and because James Harden wanted it made. James Harden, obviously there was a personality clash, this stuff has all been well documented and well reported. I still believe, and I wrote this last summer before things went down. I still believe that if necessary they could have managed that situation; I know a lot of people throughout the organization believe that.

But once Westbrook became available, they saw an opportunity that Fertitta and Harden wanted to pounce on, and they pounced on that. Daryl Morey was the biggest Chris Paul backer in the organization. Nobody -- Daryl or anybody else -- has ever told me that he made that trade with objections, that he made that trade despite not fully believing in it. But I just can't help but think that it was a deal where basically, his two bosses -- Fertitta and Harden -- said 'hey, we want this deal made, get it done.' And he did what he had to do to get it done."

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-owner-tilman-fertitta-thought-chris-paul-had-the-worst-contract-hed-ever-seen-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR2JPTpmmVUhbLzeQvj1fm72r9wSxmzNpChJ056afq0qMQB-eFp_lXTx0JE

Lots of conjecture though.
knickabocker88
Head Coach
And1: 1,913

Post#63 » by knickabocker88 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:55 am

Paul doesn't get hurt, then they win a Title.

I don't think he's anti midrange

Also a GM can only do so much, they missed makeable shots too in that game 7 & Harden was too stubborn and didn't stop playing for the whistle in the playoffs.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,871

Post#64 » by GONYK » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Is god shammgod really Morey?
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#65 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:23 am

WargamesX wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:I see the NBA Media community has begun the process of eulogizing Morey. Yes, he made analytics mainstream and he introduced various trade quirks like reverse pick protections to make the most out a dollar. But let's stop saying all the faults are on the owner. Morey made these moves and should be held culpable for them.

CP3 extension, Westbrook trade, Eric Gordon contract, trading picks away, all that stuff isn't just on the owner. It's on him.

The rest of the league has formed analytics teams. Outside of the Westbrook/George trades, teams also aren't giving away picks like Halloween. The competitive advantage has evened out. Morey's plan just didn't work this season and the 3s or bust approach he embraced with D'Antoni isn't a result of a ownership that doesn't want to spend money.

The Ringer, The Jump, and the rest gotta stop eulogizing Morey. Please.

This is how I feel exactly. He made bad moves because he thought they would be successful. Investing so heavily in D’antoni and his system was one of them. In hindsight the best thing he ever did was hoodwink Presti for Harden and considering the owner didn’t want to pay the money to keep Harden..... he Kind of got lucky. Considering Presti then got him to pay for a CP3/Westbrook trade that was a wash...... The Harden trade seems even less special.

Morey is well known for making himself accessible to reporters and also stroking them.

That's how articles like those get written. Because enough reporters feel like "pals" with Morey.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#66 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:29 am

If he was available before we signed rose I would've been down with it. "Moreyball" dictates volume 3PT sooting, FTs and shots at the rim, but it doesn't mean your primary ball handler has the ball 90% of the time like harden. His asset management until recently was also elite, and I think the russ trade was a last ditch effort he didn't *want* to resort to.

All that said, I can't see him working under a guy like rose. He's going to want to run the show again wherever he ends up, which makes total sense. Time to focus on the seemingly great FO hires rose has made and go from there.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#67 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 pm

Nope.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#68 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:25 pm

What position does he play?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#69 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Post#70 » by robillionaire » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:15 pm

GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

so we should expect him to trade simmons and embiid I guess
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#71 » by GONYK » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 pm

robillionaire wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I would definitely think Simmons is getting shopped
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,970

Post#72 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:06 pm

GONYK wrote:
robillionaire wrote:
GONYK wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Maybe, maybe not. Morey likes stars and he may try and build around the strengths of the two he has.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Metta World WAR
Junior
And1: 331

Post#73 » by Metta World WAR » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:13 pm

Capn'O wrote:
GONYK wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Morey likes stars and he may try and build around the strengths of the two he has.

Probably Tobias Harris or Al Horford + a pick(s) for CP3. Something along those lines.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Re: Should the Knicks pursue Morey? UPDATE: Morey to Philly 

Post#74 » by robillionaire » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 pm

maybe he will trade simmons for westbrook
KNIXFAN_83
Analyst
And1: 1,320

Post#75 » by KNIXFAN_83 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:44 pm

To me this creates more questions then answers for Philly. Morey’s philosophy has not worked and Doc and Sam just blew a 3-1 lead with a better roster. Having said that it’s all about what they do with Ben. He’s going to be moved just depends on where.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,613

Post#76 » by KnicksGadfly » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:30 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:If he was available before we signed rose I would've been down with it. "Moreyball" dictates volume 3PT sooting, FTs and shots at the rim, but it doesn't mean your primary ball handler has the ball 90% of the time like harden. His asset management until recently was also elite, and I think the russ trade was a last ditch effort he didn't *want* to resort to.

All that said, I can't see him working under a guy like rose. He's going to want to run the show again wherever he ends up, which makes total sense. Time to focus on the seemingly great FO hires rose has made and go from there.

I would have loved to see him given free rein here instead of bums like:
1. Layden
2. Isiah
3. Phil
4. Mills

People spend time crapping on Morey, but he got pretty close to knocking off the Warriors. I can understand wanting to defend Rose or support him, but doesn't need to be at the expense of Morey.

Also uhh wasn't Morey supposed to spend time with his family?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 28,567

Post#77 » by Fat Kat » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#78 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:55 pm

robillionaire wrote:F no. look at the terrible job he did in houston

Terrible job? :crazy:
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#79 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:57 pm

He's still better then anybody the Knicks have hired recently. Knicks fans are hesitant to hire and sign anybody lol.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,779

Post#80 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Morey is decent but gets treated as great because he jacks off the journalists.

Return to New York Knicks