Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#1 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Re: Millers sell Jazz to Ryan Smith (Qualtrics) 

Post#2 » by FJS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:38 pm

As a European I don't know if this is good or not...
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#3 » by FJS » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I see headquarters of Quialtrics are in Provo and Seattle...
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#4 » by the_process » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:53 pm

FJS wrote:I see headquarters of Quialtrics are in Provo and Seattle...

On his Twitter feed he certainly seems like a Utah guy.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#5 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Wow, that's wild :O

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm

Hahaha we want to keep the Jazz in Utah for 50 years... Doubt the Jazz move after the arena was just completed.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:56 pm

The arena is included in the sale and I imagine staying in Utah was part of the agreement.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#8 » by babyjax13 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm

So much for the trust, wonder how that affects things?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:58 pm

babyjax13 wrote:So much for the trust, wonder how that affects things?

It was voted on just like any boardroom.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#10 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:59 pm

Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#11 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 pm

KqWIN wrote:Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.

Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.
Ingles is cooked.
sip
Rookie
And1: 1,313

Post#12 » by sip » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 pm

This is great news. Finally an owner with some deeper pockets and hopefully one that will hold management accountable to some the incompetence that we have seen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#13 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:13 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:Ryan Smith is likely to keep the team in Utah, but nothing is stopping him from selling it. So much for the trust that will keep the Jazz in Utah forever :lol: Fact of the matter is that Ryan Smith can flip the team to someone else who wants to move to Seattle for a massive profit at any time.

Miller’s are still part owners and I imagine it has to be a unanimous decision to sell.

They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#14 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:19 pm

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

They just sold majority interest, there is no more trust. "The objectives of the trust will be honored"...yeah, we'll see about that. If tech comes calling and he wants to double his money, there's nothing stopping him but bad morals. As if that has gotten in the way of anyone making a billion dollars.

You might be right or I could be right.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#15 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm

sip wrote:This is great news. Finally an owner with some deeper pockets and hopefully one that will hold management accountable to some the incompetence that we have seen.

Sent from my SM-G988U using RealGM mobile app

Championship or bust.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#16 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:22 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I mean, I'm right about the trust. There's no stopping him from selling later on if he wants to. Just depends on what he wants. He owns the decision making ability.

I fully believe that he plans to own the Jazz for a long time and keep it here, but the Millers likely never intended to sell either. Things change, money talks.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#17 » by AingesBurner » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:24 pm

KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I mean, I'm right about the trust. There's no stopping him from selling later on if he wants to. Just depends on what he wants. He owns the decision making ability.

I fully believe that he plans to own the Jazz for a long time and keep it here, but the Millers likely never intended to sell either. Things change, money talks.

I’d be willing to bet their dealerships that make the most money IE ones that sell trucks took a huge hit because of the bubble.
Ingles is cooked.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#18 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:26 pm

Wow, I don't think anyone saw this coming. I think that Gail is getting older and her son Greg just didn't enjoy the Jazz as much as his Dad. They make billions per year in their other companies, so it is hard to see this as a money grab.

So, will the Jazz be better run, or worse? Will the Jazz stay in town, or move to a bigger city? Ryan is a home grown product, so I do think that the odds are good it stays around.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#19 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm

GobertReport wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I’d be willing to bet their dealerships that make the most money IE ones that sell trucks took a huge hit because of the bubble.

For sure. Which is why I don't think the Millers ever intended to sell, they just got hit with Covid. Ryan Smith probably wants to keep the team in Utah and never intends to sell, but the Millers never intended to sell either. Things happen, and Ryan Smith can make a billion at any time by selling to tech.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#20 » by stitches » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:32 pm

Holy moly! Well, I certainly didn't expect that... No idea what it means for the team...

Return to Utah Jazz