Booker forecast

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Booker forecast 

Post#1 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:41 am

To a large number of members on this board, Booker's ascension into a legit star level player came all the way back in 2018 when he took a meaningful leap in scoring and scoring efficiency (league average). However for those who didn't believe at the time, I would say the majority of this board believed Booker's ascension came in 2019 when he not just raised his scoring efficiency comfortably above league average but also took another big step in his playmaking abilities. This past season, he did what even a lot of Suns fans didn't think he could do and that's cementing his star status in this league and among most NBA fans while raising his efficiency to all-time levels. Booker has (imo) defied the odds and proved the haters wrong multiple times over during his short career by proving that he could score in the league, he could score in the league at high volume, he could score at high volume and at league efficiency and he could score at a high volume at historic efficiency. And with that, he also led the Suns to a now infamous 8-0 Bubble Run, narrowly missing the play-in tourney but also not just raise his own profile but also raised the profile of a team that's been flowing in mediocrity for a decade into one of real promise and real intrigue.

With Booker now a bona fide all-star, an elite scorer in this league and the leader of this rag tag young Suns team, where do you see his improvement coming next season? Most players at this point realistically don't have as much room to take another massive leap in improvement so:

1. What would you ideally want to see from him next season?

2. What do you realistically see from him from an improvement standpoint?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Re: Booker forecast 

Post#2 » by sunsbg » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:23 pm

I'll be short - improve in all team-oriented aspects of the game like involving his teammates early at the shot clock rather than look for his own shot, play consistent D as I think he's better PnR defender than Rubio and Mikal when he puts effort into playing D.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,454

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Well, obviously continued improvement on defense. He made small strides overall and looked a lot better at times, but he's still got a long way to go here.

Then he could cut down on turnovers, particularly some careless ones or bad passes.

Then he could often make the better play by hitting a wide open shooter rather than take a tough shot. Obviously it's hard to argue against when it works, like against the Clippers in the bubble to hit the game winner which is probably his most clutch best overall shot ever...that was incredibly awesome, though I believe Cam was wide open standing not far from him on the 3 pt line. Passing to Cam is probably the better play and if that play happens 100x, Cam probably nails his shot more often than Booker does, but it worked and we won, and at the same time, if you do want a guy taking that tough shot, it's Booker. He's gotten better about trying to make more plays than try to do everything himself, but I think he can do it more down the stretch which will help all the teammates get ready for big moments and know he trusts them to take a big shot.
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#4 » by suns12345 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Well, obviously continued improvement on defense. He made small strides overall and looked a lot better at times, but he's still got a long way to go here.

Then he could cut down on turnovers, particularly some careless ones or bad passes.

Then he could often make the better play by hitting a wide open shooter rather than take a tough shot. Obviously it's hard to argue against when it works, like against the Clippers in the bubble to hit the game winner which is probably his most clutch best overall shot ever...that was incredibly awesome, though I believe Cam was wide open standing not far from him on the 3 pt line. Passing to Cam is probably the better play and if that play happens 100x, Cam probably nails his shot more often than Booker does, but it worked and we won, and at the same time, if you do want a guy taking that tough shot, it's Booker. He's gotten better about trying to make more plays than try to do everything himself, but I think he can do it more down the stretch which will help all the teammates get ready for big moments and know he trusts them to take a big shot.

Was about to make my own post but read this and it summed it up.

Defense and consistent defensive effort

Getting rid of those stretches of turnovers when he gets frustrated/doubled out of the game

AND, leading this team to the playoffs in the loaded west (if that can be called an area for improvement hah)
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#5 » by darealjuice » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:48 pm

I'd like for him to cut out the occasional sloppy passing and ball handling that leads to live turnovers, shoot better and more from 3, and be more aware while playing defense off-ball. His on-ball defense has been passable when he wants to defend, but he naps off-ball a lot. Hard to ask for much more though, I'm just hoping he can maintain his efficiency.
JDJ26
Junior
And1: 489

Post#6 » by JDJ26 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:27 am

Hopefully this year we will see regular Booker-Ayton pick and roll plays.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#7 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:30 am

darealjuice wrote:I'd like for him to cut out the occasional sloppy passing and ball handling that leads to live turnovers, shoot better and more from 3, and be more aware while playing defense off-ball. His on-ball defense has been passable when he wants to defend, but he naps off-ball a lot. Hard to ask for much more though, I'm just hoping he can maintain his efficiency.
This^. Of the things mentioned the off ball D would be my number 1 because that's very correctable by just being more locked in. And as they play more competitive games I think he will.

I can live with most of his TOs because you get that with usage but sure clean that up a little.

The 3pt % is and might always be a headscratcher.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:50 am

Trade him to MN for the #1 overall, plus sign/trade Beasley. Beasley shoots from 3 at 40-45% as a starter, 38% career if you count his bench minutes. Give him the same 35 minutes you have been giving Booker and you will have 22pts/g for somewhere around 15-20 million less per season than Booker costs. Draft Edwards or Ball or whoever you want. You may only miss the once in a lifetime 70pt bubble events, nothing more. This gives your team another shot at a high draft talent plus the cap freedom to add another 15-20 million player and you never lost any production in doing so.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#9 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:57 am

Jedzz wrote:Trade him to MN for the #1 overall, plus sign/trade Beasley. Beasley shoots from 3 at 40-45% as a starter, 38% career if you count his bench minutes. Give him the same 35 minutes you have been giving Booker and you will have 22pts/g for somewhere around 15-20 million less per season than Booker costs. Draft Edwards or Ball or whoever you want. You may only miss the once in a lifetime 70pt bubble events, nothing more. This gives your team another shot at a high draft talent plus the cap freedom to add another 15-20 million player and you never lost any production in doing so.

sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#10 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:28 am

Jedzz wrote:Trade him to MN for the #1 overall, plus sign/trade Beasley. Beasley shoots from 3 at 40-45% as a starter, 38% career if you count his bench minutes. Give him the same 35 minutes you have been giving Booker and you will have 22pts/g for somewhere around 15-20 million less per season than Booker costs. Draft Edwards or Ball or whoever you want. You may only miss the once in a lifetime 70pt bubble events, nothing more. This gives your team another shot at a high draft talent plus the cap freedom to add another 15-20 million player and you never lost any production in doing so.

Go away.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#11 » by JDLAW » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:06 pm

F'n Troll. Sounds like Beasley is the perfect player for Minnesota, why on earth would you want to trade this perfect player? Maybe he is just a bad character (Pot and Stolen Property Bust?)
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#12 » by cberry78 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:06 pm

"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#13 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:16 am

JDLAW wrote:

F'n Troll. Sounds like Beasley is the perfect player for Minnesota, why on earth would you want to trade this perfect player? Maybe he is just a bad character (Pot and Stolen Property Bust?)

I'm not trying to troll you and yours. I want Beasley to stay in MN. However our fanbase and team loves to go too far taking advantage of and lowballing players like this, so we may lose him. While at the same time, I'm not really high on paying a third player over 30/yr only to make it 3 Max players with unproven defense. But I know full well that Towns wants him and Dlo on a team and I could buy in if they are all happy, engaged, and at least a high scoring offense. I know you guys don't want to give him up and shouldn't have to. But the opportunity to do it this way would likely put Az in a better position than Mn would be after the trade as far as building a more complete team. It's just an option. Obviously we would be giving you more than just the #1.

I want to see Beasley in high starters minutes this year whether for Timber or for another team. He's a constant motor that gets open and scores. But we have a fanbase talking about sliding him to 6th man in order to keep starting our past higher draft picks that are average or worse so far. I believe we are at risk of losing him to any random team with capspace soon if not a sign/trade to a good team. Your team maybe could outbid Wolves for him now, but you don't have the open minutes for him right now.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#14 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:13 am

Jedzz wrote:
JDLAW wrote:

I'm not trying to troll you and yours. I want Beasley to stay in MN. However our fanbase and team loves to go too far taking advantage of and lowballing players like this, so we may lose him. While at the same time, I'm not really high on paying a third player over 30/yr only to make it 3 Max players with unproven defense. But I know full well that Towns wants him and Dlo on a team and I could buy in if they are all happy, engaged, and at least a high scoring offense. I know you guys don't want to give him up and shouldn't have to. But the opportunity to do it this way would likely put Az in a better position than Mn would be after the trade as far as building a more complete team. It's just an option. Obviously we would be giving you more than just the #1.

I want to see Beasley in high starters minutes this year whether for Timber or for another team. He's a constant motor that gets open and scores. But we have a fanbase talking about sliding him to 6th man in order to keep starting our past higher draft picks that are average or worse so far. I believe we are at risk of losing him to any random team with capspace soon if not a sign/trade to a good team. Your team maybe could outbid Wolves for him now, but you don't have the open minutes for him right now.

I don't think you're trying to troll but I do think the value in this trade is totally off. Beasley is a fine player but you really can't put him and Booker in the same sentence as if Booker is only a 5ppg higher scorer for a crap ton more money. That's not how you value players in the NBA, especially the upper echelon players. The reason why Booker is a legit star in this league and being paid that much is because he is a #1 option, a franchise player and able to do the things he's able to do at just 24.

On the topic of the #1 pick, this is a historically weak draft. Weak in the sense that there isn't really a clear cut #1 but not in the sense like in the 2018 draft where prospects like Luka, Ayton, Trae, Bagley etc could all have been the #1 pick and likely would've been the #1 pick in many different drafts. Even if you think there is, that #1 very likely isn't a once in a decade, once of half a decade type #1 prospect (like a Luka or in your case, Kat). To give up the a bona fide star in Booker for a maybe star in the future is taking such a massive step back no Sun's fan (or Management) should even consider it.

Putting the on court abilities to one side and just look at what Booker has brought to the franchise: Hope. Yeah it's not a championship, it's not playoff success, it's not a 24yo Lebron James but for a team that's gone through incredibly poor front office decisions that set us back years, becoming the laughing stock of the league and the level of mediocrity we've been as a team over the past decade or so, it would be unimaginably stupid to give that hint of hope up to start over again. You as a Wolves fan should know how it feels.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#15 » by Crives » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:01 am

3pt efficiency and defense. Two areas I am confident Booker will improve. If Book continues to improve on defense and becomes a good defender while getting to 40% 3pt shooting I think we will be talking MVP.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,221

Post#16 » by King4Day » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:24 pm

We could also keep Booker for the next 4 years.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#17 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:23 pm

King4Day wrote:

No doubt, you can choose to.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#18 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:56 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think you're trying to troll but I do think the value in this trade is totally off. Beasley is a fine player but you really can't put him and Booker in the same sentence as if Booker is only a 5ppg higher scorer for a crap ton more money. That's not how you value players in the NBA, especially the upper echelon players. The reason why Booker is a legit star in this league and being paid that much is because he is a #1 option, a franchise player and able to do the things he's able to do at just 24.

On the topic of the #1 pick, this is a historically weak draft. Weak in the sense that there isn't really a clear cut #1 but not in the sense like in the 2018 draft where prospects like Luka, Ayton, Trae, Bagley etc could all have been the #1 pick and likely would've been the #1 pick in many different drafts. Even if you think there is, that #1 very likely isn't a once in a decade, once of half a decade type #1 prospect (like a Luka or in your case, Kat). To give up the a bona fide star in Booker for a maybe star in the future is taking such a massive step back no Sun's fan (or Management) should even consider it.

Putting the on court abilities to one side and just look at what Booker has brought to the franchise: Hope. Yeah it's not a championship, it's not playoff success, it's not a 24yo Lebron James but for a team that's gone through incredibly poor front office decisions that set us back years, becoming the laughing stock of the league and the level of mediocrity we've been as a team over the past decade or so, it would be unimaginably stupid to give that hint of hope up to start over again. You as a Wolves fan should know how it feels.

I don't think you are wrong at all. Much of that makes sense to me. However I'm talking about an option that might be worth more than just hope, but actually building a more complete team more quickly. Your team already has more than just Booker to be proud of. I agree and see the hope you speak of in having him. But some of that is extraneous to actually creating a bonafied playoff team. Granted some of that might be alluring to FAs. But it's otherwise just a feelgood thing for the fans, to talk about values beyond the production anyway, values built on former draft history and hype, belief since. Values people like to claim high for future trade options. I don't spend time thinking of such. There is no real difference in players based on where they were drafted in the past. It's how they regularly offer production that should matter most to value. Sure, a team can chase hope values and draft values. Or it could chase a larger collection of players that actually do fight through full seasons and playoff runs. Maybe it's just a different lens I look at the league through. I would trade Towns to build a winning team faster, using all that extraneous value people talk about to get a real complete team together faster. I see the star team building aspect and then I see the Team building alternative. Kind of like Miami recently did. They made the playoffs and finals with players nobody was going to ever call a #1 or #2 options until they worked as a team to prove none of that really matters. It took a generational Lebron paired with one of the leagues very best other talents to beat them. Team build or Star build. Which one can be quicker to put together, I'm not sure.

Choosing to stick with Booker and that hope is a fine choice too.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,454

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Jedzz wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Do you think you guys would entertain trading Towns to GS for the #2 pick and Eric Paschall? That would be a similar question for you from us.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
King4Day wrote:

Do you think you guys would entertain trading Towns to GS for the #2 pick and Eric Paschall? That would be a similar question for you from us.

Interesting exercise to propose to make me understand your side of hearing this option posted. However the #2 is not the #1, and Eric Paschall is not Malik Beasley. Is the age what you figured was similar at 23? I also didn't limit the trade to only those assets. Were just the featured assets.

Paschall is a 28% 3pt shooter.
Malik Beasley is 38% career and 42 to 45% as a starter. Has has a 40% season already.

Might actually be closer to Golden state offering the #2 plus a 4th year Klay-lite to be honest. But that would require you to have some imagination of what Beasley would have done with 4 years of starting. Not quite as proven as Klay obviously, but when he's started he puts up the goods.

Return to Phoenix Suns