NBA Insiders Fear Knicks Could Become 'Kentucky Pipeline Team'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Insiders Fear Knicks Could Become 'Kentucky Pipeline Team' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:17 pm

The New York Knicks hired Leon Rose, who was a longtime agent with CAA, to run their front office earlier this year and Bill Simmons of The Ringer suggests people around the league are monitoring the possibility of former Kentucky players could be funneled to the franchise.

Rose also hired William Wesley for a role in the front office, who was his colleague at CAA.

"There's also a real fear in the NBA. I'm fine talking about this. It's rumor, heresy stuff. But it's just a fact. Kentucky, Worldwide Wes had a great relationship with John Calipari. CAA got multiple Kentucky guys and there's a real fear in the league that the Knicks are going to become the Kentucky pipeline team.

"Devin Booker is a great example of that, right? Even though he's on a big deal right now, at some point if he wanted to move out of there...

"The league is kind of watching the Kentucky factor with that team.

"I think even [Anthony] Davis, if the Lakers hadn't won the title this year, who knows? Right? Are we positive he would have stayed? I don't know. All of the signs, all of the dialogue was like 'LeBron and him love each other'. But who knows what would have happened?

"That Knicks thing is intriguing," replied Kevin O'Connor. 

"Also, if you're the Kentucky pipeline team, that's a good thing because that's the one true pipeline we have right now. All the Kentucky guys know each other, like each other. Every year they have top dudes."

Kentucky has the most former players currently in the NBA.

Via Bill Simmons/The Ringer

objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Re: NBA Insiders Fear Knicks Could Become 'Kentucky Pipeline Team' 

Post#2 » by objectivefan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:02 pm

as a Knick fan, I fear my team entering decades of ineptitude and years of being irrelevant when it comes to playing basketball.

I just thank goodness that Patrick Ewing and John Starks are going to beat the Bulls. I also thank goodness that this is 1993 and Jordan has retired.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#3 » by HotelVitale » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 am

Sounds like clickbait gossip stuff, might be a kernel of truth there but the idea that this is trouble or a league-threatening fix is pretty wild. Take Booker leaving for NYK: for there to be something to this idea, we would have to believe that Booker values the approval John Calipari--a coach he played with for a few months like 7 years ago--and William Wesley--some fixer who hung around him when he was a high schooler--more than anything else and is making major life decisions with $150m riding based on loving those dudes. I'm not saying they wouldn't possibly have some influence or be a factor in his decisions but everything else would have to be right for that bit of influence to be a factor. The Knicks managing to have a good team and good financial situation etc seems like it's what's going to get players there, and if they do that then credit goes to them, and they'd probably have success with FAs regardless of some shadowy UK conspiracy.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#4 » by niha17 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:54 am

only the knicks. They are talked about all the time getting player x and y but nobody ever come to ny. until they hit in the draft nobody will goto the knicks. example a is its cold and example b they stink. Thats not a winning combo. look at it this way do i want below zero temps in nyc with costs sky high or do i want to live in miami for the winter with a chance to win a ring. Weather cost of living and the knicks owner not a hard thing to tun down unless you paying doulbe the going rate for me to play for you. Plus kentucky pipeline all the stars from kentucky you can keep with exception to devin booker and maybe only maybe AD. Without lebron ad is nothing to write home about. Kentucky= over rated Stay away from if you want lottery success
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#5 » by DoctorDunc » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:22 am

Only problem is these guys would have to live in NYC which is doing everything in its power to wreck itself as a place to live.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#6 » by Psubs » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:36 am

Randle and Knox are the keys! :nod:

If they pickup Patrick Patterson for the min, it's a thing.

Who can they get? WCS opts out from Dallas and they pick up Nerlens Noel. Skal Labissiere? Rondo? Brandon Knight? MKG?

Knicks trade #8, Ellington, Payton, Taj Gibson, Bullock for John Wall, cash and #37

PG Rondo - Ntilikina - Knight
SG Wall - Barrett - DSJr
SF Barrett - MKG - Knox
PF Randle - Noel - Patterson
C WCS - Robinson - Labissiere

Then you know something is up.
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#7 » by Salty1 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Psubs wrote:Randle and Knox are the keys! :nod:

If they pickup Patrick Patterson for the min, it's a thing.

Who can they get? WCS opts out from Dallas and they pick up Nerlens Noel. Skal Labissiere? Rondo? Brandon Knight? MKG?

Knicks trade #8, Ellington, Payton, Taj Gibson, Bullock for John Wall, cash and #37

PG Rondo - Ntilikina - Knight
SG Wall - Barrett - DSJr
SF Barrett - MKG - Knox
PF Randle - Noel - Patterson
C WCS - Robinson - Labissiere

Then you know something is up.

First off your roster would be lucky to hit the 8th seed in the west. John wall is not a Sg nor we he accept an off ball role. And where the f is your 3 point game with this team?
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#8 » by Donnyxc » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 pm

DoctorDunc wrote:Only problem is these guys would have to live in NYC which is doing everything in its power to wreck itself as a place to live.

I'm not even a NY fan, and this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Stop watching Fox news buddy.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#9 » by meekrab » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Why would Kentucky want their players going to the Knicks?
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#10 » by cheese318 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm

Donnyxc wrote:
DoctorDunc wrote:Only problem is these guys would have to live in NYC which is doing everything in its power to wreck itself as a place to live.

I'm not even a NY fan, and this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Stop watching Fox news buddy.

Yea what is this garbage you are spewing? How are we ruining NYC? Bad mayors come and go but to say the city is wrecking itself is kind of a stupid statement. I bet you live on the west coast saying that and have no rule clue what goes on here
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion