ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#401 » by chrisab123 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:09 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:People have been clamoring for Giles for like 3 years now. He's straight up not the player he was in high school. He has no knees.

Tyreke Evans is out of the league. We need a new offseason obsession.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#402 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:27 pm

Read on Twitter

I thought it was the jersey numbers of 5 Celtics HOFers -- Russell, Rozier, Sanders, Sam Jones, KC Jones.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#403 » by 2Mas » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:40 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
playa-hater wrote:all of this Cap stuff is just going over my head. So can someone tell me how much "spending" or CAP Space would Boston have THIS year if GH does in fact not opt in and finds another team elsewhere for whatever..?

If Boston were to lose GH for nothing this year, I would consider that a major blow since Boston is already so thin at bench and veterans etc..

Keeping him or trading him (for someone decent) at least gives us another good player.

If Gordon opts out and leaves for another team, the most Celtics can spend on a free agent (not counting our own free agents) is the full non-taxpayer mid-level exception which is just above $9M. That $9M can be divided between multiple players. But that's the max we can spend.

We won't have cap space whether Gordon leaves or stays.

EDIT 1: Apparently, there's a specific scenario where the cap goes up to $115M and we could have as much as $12M of cap space if Hayward opts out but that would involve a lot of moving parts and cap gymnastics.

EDIT 2: Without cap space, we'll have the Bi-Annual Exception too aside from the full MLE. Something like $3.6M if cap stays at $109M.

Even if Hayward opts in (i think he does) we can get the full 9m MLE.

We just gotta dump Kanter to a team with one of our firsts. Like Kanter, Edwards & 30 to a team for space for whatever. & We'd open up that $9m to spend.

Whether that's a Baynes, Woods, Ibaka, whoever. Seems like a no brainer to do.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#404 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:46 pm

2Mas wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
playa-hater wrote:all of this Cap stuff is just going over my head. So can someone tell me how much "spending" or CAP Space would Boston have THIS year if GH does in fact not opt in and finds another team elsewhere for whatever..?

If Boston were to lose GH for nothing this year, I would consider that a major blow since Boston is already so thin at bench and veterans etc..

Keeping him or trading him (for someone decent) at least gives us another good player.

If Gordon opts out and leaves for another team, the most Celtics can spend on a free agent (not counting our own free agents) is the full non-taxpayer mid-level exception which is just above $9M. That $9M can be divided between multiple players. But that's the max we can spend.

We won't have cap space whether Gordon leaves or stays.

EDIT 1: Apparently, there's a specific scenario where the cap goes up to $115M and we could have as much as $12M of cap space if Hayward opts out but that would involve a lot of moving parts and cap gymnastics.

EDIT 2: Without cap space, we'll have the Bi-Annual Exception too aside from the full MLE. Something like $3.6M if cap stays at $109M.

Even if Hayward opts in (i think he does) we can get the full 9m MLE.

We just gotta dump Kanter to a team with one of our firsts. Like Kanter, Edwards & 30 to a team for space for whatever. & We'd open up that $9m to spend.

Whether that's a Baynes, Woods, Ibaka, whoever. Seems like a no brainer to do.

Depends where they put the tax line. There's some talk it could be $132M.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#405 » by Parliament10 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:08 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I thought it was the jersey numbers of 5 Celtics HOFs -- Russell, Rozier, Sanders, Sam Jones, KC Jones

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#406 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:14 am

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,606

Post#407 » by Asian Celtic » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:24 am

chrisab123 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:People have been clamoring for Giles for like 3 years now. He's straight up not the player he was in high school. He has no knees.

Tyreke Evans is out of the league. We need a new offseason obsession.

Derrick **** Rose.
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#408 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:03 pm

So...quite a few teams hiring new head coaches and assistants so far. Not the Celtics though. No new assistant coaches yet. They need to bring in someone to turn the screws on the players and command respect. This is a top of the line ship without a captain.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#409 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:34 pm

chrisab123 wrote:So...quite a few teams hiring new head coaches and assistants so far. Not the Celtics though. No new assistant coaches yet. They need to bring in someone to turn the screws on the players and command respect. This is a top of the line ship without a captain.

So, you mad we didn't get D'antoni as an assistant like the nets trainwreck soon to come?
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#410 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:54 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:So...quite a few teams hiring new head coaches and assistants so far. Not the Celtics though. No new assistant coaches yet. They need to bring in someone to turn the screws on the players and command respect. This is a top of the line ship without a captain.

So, you mad we didn't get D'antoni as an assistant like the nets trainwreck soon to come?

Hell no. I'm mad that the coaching staff is filled with a bunch of mid-major coaches. Ime Udoka at one point was looked at as a rising star and he ends up in Brooklyn. I'd just like to get a former all-star player on this team or a former head coach to push Stevens and to bridge the obvious communication gap. Otherwise, they're going to keep running the same team back with minor tweaks and still fail to get over the hump. This is beginning to feel like the Bulls in the early part of the 2010s where they had a ton of young talent and just couldn't figure out how to get to the finals. 3 out of 4 years in the ECF and you still can't close the deal? I think Miami played their asses off and deserved to win but on paper, the Celtics should have had that series. They need to do something during the offseason. Even if it's getting a battle-tested playoff veteran like how the Magic brought in Horace Grant to make the finals back in the day. They don't need a superstar they just need someone to teach them how to win. No one on this staff has ever won anything. Not in college or the pros.

At one point here Shrewsbury was considered a top assistant to Brad and thankfully he's now back in college where he belongs. The only good assistants that Stevens had here was Walter and Ron Adams. They should have broken the bank to keep Adams.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#411 » by celtics543 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

Hell no. I'm mad that the coaching staff is filled with a bunch of mid-major coaches. Ime Udoka at one point was looked at as a rising star and he ends up in Brooklyn. I'd just like to get a former all-star player on this team or a former head coach to push Stevens and to bridge the obvious communication gap. Otherwise, they're going to keep running the same team back with minor tweaks and still fail to get over the hump. This is beginning to feel like the Bulls in the early part of the 2010s where they had a ton of young talent and just couldn't figure out how to get to the finals. 3 out of 4 years in the ECF and you still can't close the deal? I think Miami played their asses off and deserved to win but on paper, the Celtics should have had that series. They need to do something during the offseason. Even if it's getting a battle-tested playoff veteran like how the Magic brought in Horace Grant to make the finals back in the day. They don't need a superstar they just need someone to teach them how to win. No one on this staff has ever won anything. Not in college or the pros.

At one point here Shrewsbury was considered a top assistant to Brad and thankfully he's now back in college where he belongs. The only good assistants that Stevens had here was Walter and Ron Adams. They should have broken the bank to keep Adams.

I'd love to hire KG as an assistant just so he can bark at guys and get them motivated. I think James Posey is coaching now and he'd be another guy I'd target. Someone with championship pedigree who understands motivating star players.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#412 » by BK_2020 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:34 pm

Getting screamed at is definitely how I like to motivate myself. I'm sure nba millionaires feel the same love for being yelled at.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#413 » by Disinformation » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:16 pm

2016 - Durant and Horford chase
2017 - Hayward chase (we had some fun on this board that 4th of July weekend waiting for the news), surprise Kyrie acquisition
2018 - Anticipation of Kyrie and Gordon to finally be on the court together
2019 - Thank god Kyrie is gone
2020 - ????

I just want something to be excited about this offseason. Even if it doesn't work out (e.g. Durant, Kyrie).
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#414 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Disinformation wrote:2016 - Durant and Horford chase
2017 - Hayward chase (we had some fun on this board that 4th of July weekend waiting for the news), surprise Kyrie acquisition
2020 - ????

I just want something to be excited about this offseason. Even if it doesn't work out (e.g. Durant, Kyrie).

Prospect of Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum reuniting not doing it for you? What if we trade for the other Dukie Grayson Allen?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,835

Post#415 » by Celts17Pride » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
2020 - ????

Prospect of Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum reuniting not doing it for you? What if we trade for the other Dukie Grayson Allen?

People keep bringing up Giles as a potential Celtics signing. My question is how?

If the tax stays at $132 million the apron is about $139 million. I believe if you use the MLE you have to stay below the tax apron (people can correct me if I am wrong). The Celtics including everyone plus draft picks are at about $150 million in salary.

The Celtics have to move about $17 million just to be able to use the MLE.

Please anyone correct me if I am incorrect.

Thanks
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#416 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm

celtics543 wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:So, you mad we didn't get D'antoni as an assistant like the nets trainwreck soon to come?

I'd love to hire KG as an assistant just so he can bark at guys and get them motivated. I think James Posey is coaching now and he'd be another guy I'd target. Someone with championship pedigree who understands motivating star players.

James Posey is a guy who will probably get a head coaching job at some point. He's a legit coach and he would absolutely be a tremendous motivator for the young guys on the team. They essentially need a guy who will not be afraid to put Smart through a wall if he starts his **** at the same time instill that ability to lead in Smart and others. Again, this is a 70 ft yacht without an engine.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#417 » by Disinformation » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:42 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
2020 - ????

People keep bringing up Giles as a potential Celtics signing. My question is how?

If the tax stays at $132 million the apron is about $139 million. I believe if you use the MLE you have to stay below the tax apron (people can correct me if I am wrong). The Celtics including everyone plus draft picks are at about $150 million in salary.

The Celtics have to move about $17 million just to be able to use the MLE.

Please anyone correct me if I am incorrect.

Thanks

I don't know if you're right or not -- but I prefer my big men with working knees. Also, /puke to Grayson Allen. :lol:
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
chrisab123
RealGM

Post#418 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:47 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Getting screamed at is definitely how I like to motivate myself. I'm sure nba millionaires feel the same love for being yelled at.

It's a lot different if the person who is "screaming" at you has been to the top of the mountain. I'm not saying to get someone from the Joe Gibbs school of being a hardass but at the same time, you need someone to counterbalance the extreme opposite of being a hardass in Stevens. Stevens lets Smart get away with everything. He let Kyrie and Rozier divide a title contender. Terry Rozier was allowed to become just as big of a problem as Kyrie and was also allowed to believe he should have started over Kyrie while he was here. Some examples that could have been fixed by a coaching staff with experience handling title contenders. Often times you bring in an ex player to bridge the communication. But the Celtics seem to prefer coaches who coach 14-16 teams in the mid majors to join this staff. It just really doesn't make a ton of sense to have a staff like this. It doesn't reflect the true talent of the roster. Tatum and Brown will never win here at this rate. 3 ECF's in 4 years its now time to **** or get off the pot.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#419 » by playa-hater » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is so hard for me to look at. when I see something like this, I can't but think "what if"?

what if Len Bias did not die?

what would their achievement been then?? :cry:

*side note. I was there in NYC at the draft and stood 15ft from Len Bias right after he was drafted. 2 days later ..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#420 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:16 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is so hard for me to look at. when I see something like this, I can't but think "what if"?

what if Len Bias did not die?

what would their achievement been then?? :cry:

*side note. I was there in NYC at the draft and stood 15ft from Len Bias right after he was drafted. 2 days later ..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah. Reggie Lewis' untimely demise, also, several years after that.
Lewis blocked Michael Jordan, 3 times in one game.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics