ImageImage

6th pick :evil:

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Re: 6th pick :evil: 

Post#41 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:42 am

NYG wrote:Yeah I get it and Hayward has his risks. My only counter is that this is a pretty lateral draft after the top 3-4 picks and there isn't many Hayward types in free agency.

You're not wrong at all. Hayward and Oladipo both are examples of the kind of veteran, multi-tool player I have to think Schlenk would love to add, and not just for their on-court production. But the price that BOS or IND would require would have to be reflective of their recent injury history and the lack of any assurances Schlenk would get more than just a single year of service.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,600

Post#42 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:49 am

NYG wrote:Would Atlanta consider Hayward and 14 for 6?

I would love to trade down and get Nesmith and Jalen Smith, but I don't think Nesmith will be available at 14
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,374

Post#43 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Most draft rumors warrant significant skepticism. But this is the type of report that deserves the most trust. It comes from a credible writer. Atlanta has already shown a desire to accelerate its rise.

Who wants to trade for a high pick in this wide-open draft? Maybe some teams fall in love with a certain prospect, but assessments vary wildly. Plus, there are other high picks are available – which drives down the return for a team trying to trade one.

...the Hawks project to have about $43 million in cap space with a flat salary cap. [And] that cap space could also be useful in a trade – especially for a good, expensive player. Atlanta can offer another team both salary relief and a prime asset in the No. 6 pick. It’s an intriguing package.

Which is why the Hawks’ desire to push for the 2021 playoffs could lead to a big move this offseason.
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#44 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:48 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most draft rumors warrant significant skepticism. But this is the type of report that deserves the most trust. It comes from a credible writer. Atlanta has already shown a desire to accelerate its rise.

Who wants to trade for a high pick in this wide-open draft? Maybe some teams fall in love with a certain prospect, but assessments vary wildly. Plus, there are other high picks are available – which drives down the return for a team trying to trade one.

...the Hawks project to have about $43 million in cap space with a flat salary cap. [And] that cap space could also be useful in a trade – especially for a good, expensive player. Atlanta can offer another team both salary relief and a prime asset in the No. 6 pick. It’s an intriguing package.

Which is why the Hawks’ desire to push for the 2021 playoffs could lead to a big move this offseason.

I would but I need names. I’m not doing it for a Tom, Dick or Harry. I’m not delusional like the scrubs with their dumb demands for #2, but you gotta give me value as we have flexibility and young guns. If you don’t I stand pat at 6 and choose a young stud. Win win for us.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,869

Post#45 » by jayu70 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suggestions from the TnT board here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2011302
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#46 » by Spud2nique » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:29 pm

Tough times don’t last, I do. :nod:
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,901

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:16 pm

I expect us to be one of the teams contacting Minnesota regarding the first overall if we haven't already.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#48 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:15 am

HMFFL wrote:I expect us to be one of the teams contacting Minnesota regarding the first overall if we haven't already.

Why would you think that?
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#49 » by D21 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Do you guys would prefer to trade 6th for 14th and Hayward, or 6th for 13th and Reddick ?
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#50 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:31 pm

D21 wrote:Do you guys would prefer to trade 6th for 14th and Hayward, or 6th for 13th and Reddick ?

Neither.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#51 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:31 pm

I’m not making a deal to make a deal. That’s bush league.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#52 » by D21 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Spud2nique wrote:I’m not making a deal to make a deal. That’s bush league.

I have some doubt, but in the case of Reddick, it's not really making a deal to make a deal. I think a lot of playoffs team will try to trade for him, especially at this salary. PHI still cry to have let him go... and I even don't see NOP trading him unless than want so bad a player that is higher in the draft than their 13th pick
Now, we may need more on the defensive side than on the offensive side... so he may not be the best target
jayu70
RealGM

Post#53 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:49 pm

D21 wrote:Do you guys would prefer to trade 6th for 14th and Hayward, or 6th for 13th and Reddick ?

6th for 13th and Reddick. It leaves us with more capspace ~$30 mil to sign a player like Jerami Grant as backup PF and fill in the rest of the roster.
I'm not including #6 for $34 mil in a Hayward swap. That leaves us with $10 mil to fill in the roster. So I'll pass.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#54 » by jayu70 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:25 pm

I agree with this approach
If you were Schlenk, what would you try to do with the sixth pick?

John Hollinger: Here’s the thing if you’re the Hawks: You don’t want to go so hard to get the eighth seed in the East that it ends up being all you ever get out of this core. I’ve seen too many other teams sabotage rebuilds in the name of pyrrhic short-term victories like this one. Making the playoffs will be great fun for a couple of days, then they’ll get their brains beat in the first round and have to figure out how to actually become good.

The player who will make a difference in a 2020-21 playoff pursuit probably isn’t available with the sixth pick in the draft, so it’s tempting to put the pick in play for short-term help. But this is also likely to be the best draft pick the Hawks will have for quite some time, especially if they make the right decisions the next few years. It would be organizational malpractice to waste their last good opportunity to draft a long-term difference-maker just to squeeze out 43 wins instead of 37.

So, in spite of the push for short-term results, I would have to be awfully tempted before I put that sixth overall pick in play. The Hawks have more free-agent money than any team in the league and still have several future picks they can put into play if they really need a draft asset to get a trade over the finish line.

But even in a weak-looking draft, the Hawks can’t be so delusional about short-term micro-goals that they punt on building a long-term winner.

Kirschner: I agree that they should look at the long-term picture over fighting for the eighth or seventh seed this upcoming season, but if they don’t make the playoffs for the fourth straight year, changes certainly could happen. It is crazy to say because of how deliberate the organization has been about taking its time in trying to build a strong young core, but it does seem like there’s some pressure now to get out of this growth-and-development phase it has been preaching for the past two years.

But are you saying you wouldn’t consider any trades down in the draft? In our beat writer mock draft last month, I offered our New York Knicks writer, Mike Vorkunov, No. 6 for Nos. 8 and 38 and Dennis Smith Jr., as someone who could fill the Brandon Goodwin spot as a third guard. I tried to get Frank Ntilikina, but no dice. The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor proposed a deal of No. 6 to San Antonio for No. 11 and DeMar DeRozan. It’s not a move I would make, and honestly, it’s pretty bad and should be a non-starter for Atlanta. I’m sure there’s a way to have back-channel conversations with his agent if the Hawks truly wanted to target DeRozan in free agency.

Would you advise them to just stick at No. 6 and grab the best player available as opposed to moving back a few spots to add a player/additional draft compensation?

Hollinger: One random thought on the playoffs question: If we don’t have fans in seats next year, does that give Schlenk a mulligan on going all-in for this year? I presume part of the push for the playoffs is to make the Hawks relevant in this market, but if they can’t sell it, what’s the point?

Anyway, back to your question. I’m not fundamentally opposed to trading back in the draft, if the Hawks have a player or players targeted they think are roughly equivalent. It’s certainly much better than trading up to get a player who wasn’t any better than if they stayed put. (Too soon?)

In particular, one can see merit in doing something like this to acquire a young player, somebody who can still functionally act as a draft pick in terms of the timeline with Young and Collins but be in a better position to help immediately. (But please, not Smith. He’s terrible.) For instance, if the Phoenix Suns wanted to put Kelly Oubre Jr. on the table to move from No. 10 to No. 6, the Hawks absolutely should engage.

On the other hand, trading down to overpay DeRozan or some other random veteran for a year is completely nuts. His contract has negative value, and the Spurs should be paying Atlanta to take him, not the other way around.

https://theathletic.com/2167226/2020/10/29/atlanta-hawks-nba-draft/
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#55 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:10 am

Spud2nique wrote:

Neither.
I agree pass on both.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:13 am

Spud2nique wrote:
HMFFL wrote:I expect us to be one of the teams contacting Minnesota regarding the first overall if we haven't already.

I can only assuming that we've contacted Minnesota regarding the 1st overall pick so we can add Anthony Edwards.
Would you trade Hunter or Reddish and the 6th for the 1st overall pick?

jayu70
RealGM

Post#57 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:49 am

HMFFL wrote:Would you trade Hunter or Reddish and the 6th for the 1st overall pick?

No. Rumors are Minny proposed that offer. Hawks already declined.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#58 » by HMFFL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 am

jayu70 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Would you trade Hunter or Reddish and the 6th for the 1st overall pick?

Interesting.
I had no idea

jayu70
RealGM

Post#59 » by jayu70 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 am

HMFFL wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

Interesting.
I had no idea

The way the rumor goes: Hawks aren't interested in trading any of the young core guys to move up in this draft. The preference is to use a future protected pick. They'd only include a core player if it gets them a 'really good player' in return. TIFWIW.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#60 » by Spud2nique » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:33 am

HMFFL wrote:
Spud2nique wrote:

I can only assuming that we've contacted Minnesota regarding the 1st overall pick so we can add Anthony Edwards.
Would you trade Hunter or Reddish and the 6th for the 1st overall pick?

I wouldn’t trade either to move up. I’d actually rather trade down or stand pat.

Return to Atlanta Hawks