ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff Rondo Main Priority

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 146

Re: Playoff Rondo Main Priority 

Post#21 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 pm

DieHardFan wrote:I would rather give a chance to Terrence Mann over Rondo. Don't want any laker with ring to "save" us.

Exactly!! I don't even wanna hear about Rondo. I wouldn't even give him a 10-day contract. He is toxic in the locker room, he is weird.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#22 » by og15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:26 am

I don't care for Rondo either, but I understand the appeal with the availability options. Rondo gets hyped for having a big performance every 5 or 6 games among 4 or 5 other mediocre or even bad performances. He's a player that does winning things, yes, but he's best when you don't truly have to rely on him for consistency.

For example, Rondo shot 29/24 over the first 5 games of the finals, then he had a big game 6, and Playoff Rondo! Now, he wasn't bad in all those poor shooting games, but you're only allowed to consistently play like that when you have a team and teammates that make up for it.

If you're on a team that needs that role player to hit those shots at least half or more of the time, not jut in 1/5 games, then suddenly you become a detriment by shooting 29/24 over the first 5 games of a series.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#23 » by TheNewEra » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 am

og15 wrote:I don't care for Rondo either, but I understand the appeal with the availability options. Rondo gets hyped for having a big performance every 5 or 6 games among 4 or 5 other mediocre or even bad performances. He's a player that does winning things, yes, but he's best when you don't truly have to rely on him for consistency.

For example, Rondo shot 29/24 over the first 5 games of the finals, then he had a big game 6, and Playoff Rondo! Now, he wasn't bad in all those poor shooting games, but you're only allowed to consistently play like that when you have a team and teammates that make up for it.

If you're on a team that needs that role player to hit those shots at least half or more of the time, not jut in 1/5 games, then suddenly you become a detriment by shooting 29/24 over the first 5 games of a series.

The flip that is Rondo still gives you other aspects beyond his shooting that makes him superior to Williams and Shamet. Rondo had a fantastic game 2 and 6 while 1 and 3 were pretty good.

Our guards don’t do anything consistent enough of note if they are not hitting shots and Lous playmaking is hampered by his terrible defense. Rondo at least can defend and rebound at minimum while maintaining as a floor general. I doubt this move actually happens but if it did this would be a major upgrade over what we currently have now
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#24 » by nickhx2 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:55 am

any player who doesn't get pick up 2 fouls merely walking on the sidelines while heehawing like a total jackass donkey the entire time would be a better upgrade than what we have now
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#25 » by TucsonClip » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:44 am

No thanks to Rondo, because he's likely looking for a multi year deal.

In all for Augustin or Napier as the backup PG who can spot start based on matchups. However, if they want a starting/platoon PG, it's going to need to come via trade unless someone is taking a reset deal to hit FA next year or a title ticket discount. I don't see Dragic coming, although a 2 year deal should be appealing.

I've never been a big fan of him, due to our playoff run-ins, but Ibaka is the guy I want. Land him, and pick up two solid PGs who can run the offense, with one who can defend, and I'm fine seeing Bev, Lou and Trez out in trades.

Bev makes the most sense to keep around, IMO. Lou is an asset on a short deal to try to fill the gaps around our remaining need(s). I'd rather move off him a year early, and try to make up the bench scoring elsewhere.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 835

Post#26 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:01 am

They said On the Jump, Rondo will come to the Clippers if they pay him more than the Lakers will.

2 year 15 million deal should get it done. Pat Bev comes off the bench as a energy player rather than a starter.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#27 » by TucsonClip » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:26 pm

There is no way I'm giving Rondo the tax MLE, let alone more than that, nor a 2 year deal.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#28 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 am

With Schroder going to the Lakers, looks like a Rondo to the Clippers is gonna be for real.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:20 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:With Schroder going to the Lakers, looks like a Rondo to the Clippers is gonna be for real.

Schroder is criminally underrated. 27 years old

Per 36:

22-5-4

47%-35.5%

Lakers move far past the Clippers now. Rondo is garbage. Even Doc didn't go after him.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,631

Post#30 » by KL2 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:13 pm

For a team that moves in silence I find it hard to believe it’s so well known that Rondo is their top priority.

I hope they have something else lined up.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#31 » by playaloc916 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:56 pm

I doubt it will happen, but Rubio would instantly turn one of the weakest aspects of the team, to one of the stronger ones (playmaking).
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#32 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:59 pm

esqtvd wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:With Schroder going to the Lakers, looks like a Rondo to the Clippers is gonna be for real.

Per 36:

22-5-4

47%-35.5%

Lakers move far past the Clippers now. Rondo is garbage. Even Doc didn't go after him.

Schroder is a very good scoring guard, but he doesn't really run an offense- he is similar to Lou Williams in that regard.

I thought Rondo was a subpar player too, but his playoff performance this past season showed he still has a lot left in the tank.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#33 » by esqtvd » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Per 36:

22-5-4

47%-35.5%

Schroder is a very good scoring guard, but he doesn't really run an offense- he is similar to Lou Williams in that regard.

I thought Rondo was a subpar player too, but his playoff performance this past season showed he still has a lot left in the tank.

Certainly after this year's meltdown the thinking is we need a proven playoff stud. I'm more concerned about team chemistry, which deserted us when we needed it the most. Apparently there was a lot of resentment about load management, and if Rondo's as diffident about the regular season as they say, this whole thing could turn out to be a house of cards before the playoffs even start.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nba-news-la-clippers-kawhi-leonard-is-not-lebron-james-nba-insider-ramona-shelbourne-raises-serious-concerns-that-must-put-clippers-on-a-red-alert/

Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, and their unique troubles

Popular NBA Insider, Ramona Shelbourne detailed in an interview, “Your leader cannot be your coach, the loudest voice in the room can not be your coach, it has to be somebody on the court… In this off-season, they need to acquire a true point guard, somebody who can bring a leadership ability because Kawhi Leonard missed that Kyle Lowry type point guard.

“Kawhi Leonard is not LeBron James, he can’t slide over and say, ‘oh we don’t have a real point guard, I’ll do it’, that’s not his game either.”

The Clippers have Patrick Beverley as a point guard, who has been consistently starting for them. However, Patrick has shown a huge decline in his performance in the past two seasons, where he averaged around 7.7 points per game.

Talking about the leadership skills of Kawhi, it is not in his character to be like Bron or MJ and lead a team out of trouble. He is a consistent performer, but he still needs someone else to take the burden of the leadership role from him. Lastly, they struggled big time with an inconsistent PG, and hence they have to have a new point guard.

What if the Clippers can’t attract decent talent?

As Ramona detailed, “I think they ought to have a sense of urgency. I know Paul George said it to you, Rachel, I remember him saying when he literally joined the team, ‘I want to retire a Clipper that’s the plan.’ … [for] Kawhi Leonard I’ll be a little concerned if they had a terrible year this year, he could leave.”

So for the Clippers, this approaching season will be do-or-die. They have Montrezl Harrell, Marcus Morris Sr. and Reggie Jackson potentially entering the unrestricted free agency this year. With this, if they fail to land a veteran like Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo, the issues from the last year can just put themselves on repeat.

So, this off-season is equally critical to the Clippers as it is for many other teams, if not more.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Shaliq wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:I would rather give a chance to Terrence Mann over Rondo. Don't want any laker with ring to "save" us.

Exactly!! I don't even wanna hear about Rondo. I wouldn't even give him a 10-day contract. He is toxic in the locker room, he is weird.

uh oh

Rajon Rondo is expected to receive an offer of $15 million over two years from the Atlanta Hawks, but he is focused on joining the Los Angeles Clippers.

Rondo could sign for the mid-level with the Clippers.

Rondo declined his $2.62 million option with the Los Angeles Lakers, which was the veteran's minimum.

During the Lakers' title run, Rondo was a key rotation player and his value on the open market has begun to reflect those contributions.

FRANK ISOLA/ESPN
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#35 » by og15 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:01 pm

TheNewEra wrote:
og15 wrote:I don't care for Rondo either, but I understand the appeal with the availability options. Rondo gets hyped for having a big performance every 5 or 6 games among 4 or 5 other mediocre or even bad performances. He's a player that does winning things, yes, but he's best when you don't truly have to rely on him for consistency.

The flip that is Rondo still gives you other aspects beyond his shooting that makes him superior to Williams and Shamet. Rondo had a fantastic game 2 and 6 while 1 and 3 were pretty good.

Our guards don’t do anything consistent enough of note if they are not hitting shots and Lous playmaking is hampered by his terrible defense. Rondo at least can defend and rebound at minimum while maintaining as a floor general. I doubt this move actually happens but if it did this would be a major upgrade over what we currently have now
Beverley is supposed to defend consistently, but many know from the past that I've said his defense is not as good as he makes it seem. This doesn't mean he isn't solid, but his antics and big defensive plays from sometimes gambling make people think he's a better possession by possession defender than he is. Still, we can say he defends and rebound pretty consistently too.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#36 » by nickhx2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:47 pm

funny thing about him is i think he's underrated on offense, but overrated on defense
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#37 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm

Read on Twitter
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#38 » by ShowtimeFan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:13 am

Better sign Rondo to get back at the Lakers for stealing Harrell! By the way Rondo missed 56 games the last two seasons and will be a year older next year. The reason he was so good in the playoffs is because he was well rested, if the Clipp's try to play him big minutes during the regular season, they may never get a glimpse of "Playoff Rondo"... remember this warning...
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#39 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:11 pm

Clippers need playoff Rondo. Still don’t hAve a floor general, someone that can run offense and set up teammates for easy buckets.

This is the number 1 priority for the Clips who have players at every position except point guard

Return to Los Angeles Clippers