Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Re: Booker forecast 

Post#21 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:23 pm

Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
No doubt, you can choose to.

Do you think you guys would entertain trading Towns to GS for the #2 pick and Eric Paschall? That would be a similar question for you from us.

Interesting exercise to propose to make me understand your side of hearing this option posted. However the #2 is not the #1, and Eric Paschall is not Malik Beasley. Is the age what you figured was similar at 23? I also didn't limit the trade to only those assets. Were just the featured assets.

Paschall is a 28% 3pt shooter.
Malik Beasley is 38% career and 42 to 45% as a starter. Has has a 40% season already.

Might actually be closer to Golden state offering the #2 plus a 4th year Klay-lite to be honest. But that would require you to have some imagination of what Beasley would have done with 4 years of starting. Not quite as proven as Klay obviously, but when he's started he puts up the goods.

#2 isn't that much off from #1 in this draft. I wasn't sure who else the Warriors could trade. I guess they'd have to match salaries, so that would make it tough. Maybe the #3 + Batum (expiring) and Miles Bridges or PJ Washington.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#22 » by Crives » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Lol. You think we want to build our franchise around this?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,188

Post#23 » by King4Day » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:34 pm

Crives wrote:Lol. You think we want to build our franchise around this?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Yikes
That's a suspension to start the year.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#24 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:36 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Do you think you guys would entertain trading Towns to GS for the #2 pick and Eric Paschall? That would be a similar question for you from us.

Interesting exercise to propose to make me understand your side of hearing this option posted. However the #2 is not the #1, and Eric Paschall is not Malik Beasley. Is the age what you figured was similar at 23? I also didn't limit the trade to only those assets. Were just the featured assets.

Malik Beasley is 38% career and 42 to 45% as a starter. Has has a 40% season already.

Might actually be closer to Golden state offering the #2 plus a 4th year Klay-lite to be honest. But that would require you to have some imagination of what Beasley would have done with 4 years of starting. Not quite as proven as Klay obviously, but when he's started he puts up the goods.

#2 isn't that much off from #1 in this draft. I wasn't sure who else the Warriors could trade. I guess they'd have to match salaries, so that would make it tough. Maybe the #3 + Batum (expiring) and Miles Bridges or PJ Washington.

The point wasn't to just throw some random player with random NBA value together with a pick and expect anyone to bite or think it's worth while. The point was to include a player that could specifically dampen most lost production from losing Booker while also saving the team enough money to then be able to fit yet another FA. So the trade offer included the #1 for your teams choice (or them to trade it), plus a player that can be a +20-22 pts per game shooter as a starter there, (plus future picks/other assets), and then your team still has enough cap room to add another player in FA yet. This could infuse your otherwise very nice roster with a couple final pieces to truly make a run. Versus taking one shot with your draft pick each year and hoping it puts you over the top. Booker leading your team as a young star is only one option. Others could lead it and you have other players that can take more focus as well.

So let's say you have Beasley and can expect 20ppg as a starter. Rubio/Beasley/Oubre/WHO GOES HERE/Ayton
Who plays at PF, and who is your 6th man, 7th man. These all could be answered right now. Draft someone and play them. Or trade the picks yourself for proven players that fit the need. Horford? Someone else? Maybe Az makes a run at Simmons? Idk. Options are open because you are now loaded with assets and a little cap breathing room. Your roster is very close to doing something. Maybe it doesn't need all this help and one #10 pick this year will do it for you.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,044

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Jedzz wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

The point wasn't to just throw some random player with random NBA value together with a pick and expect anyone to bite or think it's worth while. The point was to include a player that could specifically dampen most lost production from losing Booker while also saving the team enough money to then be able to fit yet another FA. So the trade offer included the #1 for your teams choice (or them to trade it), plus a player that can be a +20-22 pts per game shooter as a starter there, (plus future picks/other assets), and then your team still has enough cap room to add another player in FA yet. This could infuse your otherwise very nice roster with a couple final pieces to truly make a run. Versus taking one shot with your draft pick each year and hoping it puts you over the top. Booker leading your team as a young star is only one option. Others could lead it and you have other players that can take more focus as well.

So let's say you have Beasley and can expect 20ppg as a starter. Rubio/Beasley/Oubre/WHO GOES HERE/Ayton
Who plays at PF, and who is your 6th man, 7th man. These all could be answered right now. Draft someone and play them. Or trade the picks yourself for proven players that fit the need. Horford? Someone else? Maybe Az makes a run at Simmons? Idk. Options are open because you are now loaded with assets and a little cap breathing room. Your roster is very close to doing something. Maybe it doesn't need all this help and one #10 pick this year will do it for you.

Yeah, but with the 3 pick you could also get a Towns replacement in Towns and have Bridges or Washington at PF to complete your frontcourt to play with all the guards/wings you have.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,448

Post#26 » by sasquatchBob » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:45 pm

Crives wrote:Lol. You think we want to build our franchise around this?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

The timing :D
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, but with the 3 pick you could also get a Towns replacement in Towns and have Bridges or Washington at PF to complete your frontcourt to play with all the guards/wings you have.
You know that's sort of true, but PJ Washington or Bridges aren't the same kind of perfect return as Im suggesting for Suns. You are still comparing apples to oranges in that regard. MN could deal Towns. However MN doesn't have as many for-real players ready to go as Suns do. So for MN to drop Towns, this team really deflates. The team outside of Dlo/Towns/Beasley is kind of a mess and nothing as solid as Suns are. For MN, trading Towns leaves us with Dlo as tank commander and unhappy with only Beasley shooting great but that's it. Not enough viable starters. It's not as easy to save this team. The offer and situation I'm suggesting for Suns allows you to keep most of your talented starters and the high draft picks coming in are depth.

The difference with Suns is they have Ayton just starting to pick up his steam. They have a really skilled Oubre who could easily take on more focus. They have Rubio who was born ready for every new day. So if losing Booker only meant losing 2-4pts/g because Beasley took up the shooting slack, and then they add a force from FA and a new budding draft star, that's a really solid starting 5 and a possible future star rookie as 6th roster spark. Let's say in the draft at #1 you do something crazy like add Obi Toppin, and at 10 you add Vassell. With the #1, choose whoever you like best. Just throwing Obi out there for fit reasons. But with a draft infusion like that, your team could bring in even a Jae Crowder as the FA (Rubio knows him) and now you are deep like the Heat were last season. Or like said prior, aim higher in FA. You've become a team where that final FA piece is the Cherry on top for a serious playoff run.

Again, maybe Suns are closer and deeper than I think already and don't need this. Been good chattin about it. At least you didn't run me out even if you didn't agree.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#28 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:03 am

Jedzz wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think you're trying to troll but I do think the value in this trade is totally off. Beasley is a fine player but you really can't put him and Booker in the same sentence as if Booker is only a 5ppg higher scorer for a crap ton more money. That's not how you value players in the NBA, especially the upper echelon players. The reason why Booker is a legit star in this league and being paid that much is because he is a #1 option, a franchise player and able to do the things he's able to do at just 24.

On the topic of the #1 pick, this is a historically weak draft. Weak in the sense that there isn't really a clear cut #1 but not in the sense like in the 2018 draft where prospects like Luka, Ayton, Trae, Bagley etc could all have been the #1 pick and likely would've been the #1 pick in many different drafts. Even if you think there is, that #1 very likely isn't a once in a decade, once of half a decade type #1 prospect (like a Luka or in your case, Kat). To give up the a bona fide star in Booker for a maybe star in the future is taking such a massive step back no Sun's fan (or Management) should even consider it.

Putting the on court abilities to one side and just look at what Booker has brought to the franchise: Hope. Yeah it's not a championship, it's not playoff success, it's not a 24yo Lebron James but for a team that's gone through incredibly poor front office decisions that set us back years, becoming the laughing stock of the league and the level of mediocrity we've been as a team over the past decade or so, it would be unimaginably stupid to give that hint of hope up to start over again. You as a Wolves fan should know how it feels.

I don't think you are wrong at all. Much of that makes sense to me. However I'm talking about an option that might be worth more than just hope, but actually building a more complete team more quickly. Your team already has more than just Booker to be proud of. I agree and see the hope you speak of in having him. But some of that is extraneous to actually creating a bonafied playoff team. Granted some of that might be alluring to FAs. But it's otherwise just a feelgood thing for the fans, to talk about values beyond the production anyway, values built on former draft history and hype, belief since. Values people like to claim high for future trade options. I don't spend time thinking of such. There is no real difference in players based on where they were drafted in the past. It's how they regularly offer production that should matter most to value. Sure, a team can chase hope values and draft values. Or it could chase a larger collection of players that actually do fight through full seasons and playoff runs. Maybe it's just a different lens I look at the league through. I would trade Towns to build a winning team faster, using all that extraneous value people talk about to get a real complete team together faster. I see the star team building aspect and then I see the Team building alternative. Kind of like Miami recently did. They made the playoffs and finals with players nobody was going to ever call a #1 or #2 options until they worked as a team to prove none of that really matters. It took a generational Lebron paired with one of the leagues very best other talents to beat them. Team build or Star build. Which one can be quicker to put together, I'm not sure.

Choosing to stick with Booker and that hope is a fine choice too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not wedded to the idea that Booker *will* take us to the promised land or anything like that. Honestly, I don't think anyone in the league could (not even Giannis) because it certainly takes more than one guy and it almost definitely takes more than luck and hope. To me, the comparison really isn't Booker and Beasley because quite frankly, he's a throw-in, maybe a decent throw-in but nobody is going to argue he's anything but. The trade is centred on Booker and the #1 pick and the #1 pick in this draft is honestly not as valuable as other drafts. I've mentioned it before, if we're talking about a STACKED draft like 2018, there's potential for franchise changing talent to be picked. If you had the #3 pick to offer in the 2018 draft, I'd probably consider it because there were a few generational talents in that draft but not this one.

So you consider the lower value #1 pick in this draft, Booker's value and the fact that it's a infinitely easier to find a star for a team, if you already have that star on the team; and it's an easy no from us
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#29 » by JDLAW » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:06 am

Don't feed the troll. At first, the polite NOs to the stupid trade suggestion were appropriate, but when he comes back and argues that his "perfect" trade offer of #1 and a low character criminal (Beasley) should net the T-Wolves our franchise star he graduated to full scale troll. We have had one low character Beasley in this franchise's history; we don't need another.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm

JDLAW wrote:Don't feed the troll. At first, the polite NOs to the stupid trade suggestion were appropriate, but when he comes back and argues that his "perfect" trade offer of #1 and a low character criminal (Beasley) should net the T-Wolves our franchise star he graduated to full scale troll. We have had one low character Beasley in this franchise's history; we don't need another.
Well, to be fair to me, this news about legal trouble just occured. Before that he was just a really good player. It's not like I'm his lawyer and knew this was coming before I posted the suggestion.

Don't fret. I won't drag out the "trolling" as you call it and bother your soft belief system any longer. Enjoy your booker praying as long as you can. At least you have Rubio to keep the players believing.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#31 » by cberry78 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:51 pm

Jedzz wrote:
JDLAW wrote:Don't feed the troll. At first, the polite NOs to the stupid trade suggestion were appropriate, but when he comes back and argues that his "perfect" trade offer of #1 and a low character criminal (Beasley) should net the T-Wolves our franchise star he graduated to full scale troll. We have had one low character Beasley in this franchise's history; we don't need another.
Well, to be fair to me, this news about legal trouble just occured. Before that he was just a really good player. It's not like I'm his lawyer and knew this was coming before I posted the suggestion.

Don't fret. I won't drag out the "trolling" as you call it and bother your soft belief system any longer. Enjoy your booker praying as long as you can. At least you have Rubio to keep the players believing.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the whole Beasley thing was news a month ago (9/27 - https://www.si.com/nba/2020/09/27/malik-beasley-arrest-multiple-charges)
"We are aware of the situation involving Malik Beasley and are in the process of gathering information at this time,” the Timberwolves told The Athletic in a statement.

“At the time of the incident, multiple individuals were present at the residence. The allegations against Malik will be defended vigorously," Beasley’s attorney Steve Haney said in a statement to The Athletic.

So yeah, the issue was well known across the league - and that kind of individual definitely does not fit into the culture that the Suns have been creating over the last year.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,891

Post#32 » by LV-Suns » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Jedzz wrote:

This is not the first time he has been in trouble.

I Dont wanna be here
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,634

Post#33 » by Saberestar » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:01 am

LV-Suns wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

This is not the first time he has been in trouble.

Another Josh Jackson...what a terrible guy to have on any team. I wouldn't touch him for free. Another inmature who doesn't know how to be a professional. It's what it's. On the court Beasley is a good 3p shooter and...and..., he doesn't add much more on the court. Not worthy.
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#34 » by JDLAW » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Jedzz wrote:

It didn't just come out. It has been a month old and you were posting last month September 23, 2020 on it on the Minnesota Board. Don't give us the, "I' didn't know" excuse." Now in leaving, you give a parting shot. You are definitely a troll.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Sun Nov 1, 2020 9:43 pm

JDLAW wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

It didn't just come out. It has been a month old and you were posting last month September 23, 2020 on it on the Minnesota Board. Don't give us the, "I' didn't know" excuse." Now in leaving, you give a parting shot. You are definitely a troll.
None of the details were out back then, only that the police released him unchanged at the time and we didn't hear anything else about it for weeks. The news that he was actually going to be charged and more actual details of what this invovled did "just come out" after I proposed this option.

One might expect if someone was really getting arrested for doing something really bad he would be charged and then allowed out on bail to await trial. Forgive me for not being privy to how it works for rich sports players with good lawyers. Not a regular occurance for our team that I've kept track of. Nor did I know about any previous run ins or questionable history for him before coming here just last March. I've only known about how he plays on the court, not his Denver off court history.

But maybe you diehard Suns fans can educate me about better humans and players being that the Suns have only had players with run ins like Richaun Holmes, Josh Jackson, Marcus Morris, Markief Morris, PJ Tucker, Archie Goodwin, Michael Beasley, and Jason Richardson in the past ten years. I see your team obviously has higher standards. Things look to have gotten better since adding players like Marbury while trading Kidd and other great humans. And I honestly didn't even know your team had brought in Michael Beasley in the past until just now looking up your great franchise humanity. No wonder you guys are wound a bit tight. You've had a lot of Wolves cast offs in the past.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 12:56 am

Jedzz wrote:
JDLAW wrote:
Jedzz wrote: Well, to be fair to me, this news about legal trouble just occured. Before that he was just a really good player. It's not like I'm his lawyer and knew this was coming before I posted the suggestion.

None of the details were out back then, only that the police released him unchanged at the time and we didn't hear anything else about it for weeks. The news that he was actually going to be charged and more actual details of what this invovled did "just come out" after I proposed this option.

One might expect if someone was really getting arrested for doing something really bad he would be charged and then allowed out on bail to await trial. Forgive me for not being privy to how it works for rich sports players with good lawyers. Not a regular occurance for our team that I've kept track of. Nor did I know about any previous run ins or questionable history for him before coming here just last March. I've only known about how he plays on the court, not his Denver off court history.

But maybe you diehard Suns fans can educate me about better humans and players being that the Suns have only had players with run ins like Richaun Holmes, Josh Jackson, Marcus Morris, Markief Morris, PJ Tucker, Archie Goodwin, Michael Beasley, and Jason Richardson in the past ten years. I see your team obviously has higher standards. Things look to have gotten better since adding players like Marbury while trading Kidd and other great humans. And I honestly didn't even know your team had brought in Michael Beasley in the past until just now looking up your great franchise humanity. No wonder you guys are wound a bit tight. You've had a lot of Wolves cast offs in the past.

We've had our share of very poor character players for sure. We certainly can't lecture other teams on their bad seeds but that also means we know now to really focus in on those high character players. I think with Beasley's legal issues, he's not gonna be on our radar. James Jones has gone out of his way to bring in high character guys and he doesn't seem like he's going to stray from that...unless the talent is undeniable (probably)
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:22 am

lilfishi22 wrote:We've had our share of very poor character players for sure. We certainly can't lecture other teams on their bad seeds but that also means we know now to really focus in on those high character players. I think with Beasley's legal issues, he's not gonna be on our radar. James Jones has gone out of his way to bring in high character guys and he doesn't seem like he's going to stray from that...unless the talent is undeniable (probably)

I can certainly see that being the case now after a quick review of the history. I remember the Michael Beasley time here very well.

Since I've wasted everyone's time on this please let me offer a free tidbit on a high character Gleague player for a bench scoring PG that can just flat out score and create gravity to open looks for others. McLaughlin (Jmac). Not sure if he's completely FA or if still in any kind of control by Wolves coming off his two-way last season. If they don't lock him up, would be worth the look as alternative to costly FVV talk I've seen. So far I've heard low priority from people in MN and I think that is a mistake.
Spoiler:
Clippers game

Warriors game
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#38 » by cberry78 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 5:02 am

Jedzz wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:We've had our share of very poor character players for sure. We certainly can't lecture other teams on their bad seeds but that also means we know now to really focus in on those high character players. I think with Beasley's legal issues, he's not gonna be on our radar. James Jones has gone out of his way to bring in high character guys and he doesn't seem like he's going to stray from that...unless the talent is undeniable (probably)

I can certainly see that being the case now after a quick review of the history. I remember the Michael Beasley time here very well.

Since I've wasted everyone's time on this please let me offer a free tidbit on a high character Gleague player for a bench scoring PG that can just flat out score and create gravity to open looks for others. McLaughlin (Jmac). Not sure if he's completely FA or if still in any kind of control by Wolves coming off his two-way last season. If they don't lock him up, would be worth the look as alternative to costly FVV talk I've seen. So far I've heard low priority from people in MN and I think that is a mistake.
Spoiler:
Clippers game

Warriors game

That dude is 5'11 in shoes, with lifts. He's a talented scorer, but he just doesn't have the height to make it in the League. No amount of character can make up for lacking height in the NBA, especially in this era.

And please, don't try to talk to Suns fans about whether character matters or not, we almost brought down the entire league in the 80's with our drug scandal. :lol:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 2, 2020 6:01 am

cberry78 wrote:That dude is 5'11 in shoes, with lifts. He's a talented scorer, but he just doesn't have the height to make it in the League. No amount of character can make up for lacking height in the NBA, especially in this era.

I'm not sure you could ask for much more from a bench PG. In those clips you can see him crossing up and dusting players like Kawhi and Green like walking through water. If he can do that to them... Sure that size is going to be a defensive liability. But from the bench do you really care if he's scoring and setting up others so well? Your other bench players could be better defenders, but players that can't create anything for themselves.
Both past and present, teams keep adding them. There is a role for these guys if they have game. Take a look how many.

Guys like Kyle Lowry at 6ft get things done. DJ Augustine is 5-11.
Kemba is 6-1 on a tall day with a generous yardstick.
Boston's Carson Edwards 5-11, Chris Chiozza Nets 5-11, Trae Young at 6-1 is Atlantas future, Waters 5-10 for Boston,
Clemons 5-9 Rockets addition his past year. JMac 5-11 for MN past year. Did Isaiah Thomas or Barea not last a long while?
The height of all these other players is still a liability. But what they bring to the table can be amazing. Would you pay Kyle Lowry 30 mil like he got last year if he was frozen at his 35 yr old play? Special players are special. But if you can get special for undrafted deals and be able to use them from bench? Now that can be special for a team trying to take the next step.

cberry78 wrote:And please, don't try to talk to Suns fans about whether character matters or not, we almost brought down the entire league in the 80's with our drug scandal. :lol:
I'll take your word for it.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,116

Post#40 » by God Squad » Mon Nov 2, 2020 10:13 am

Jedzz wrote:
cberry78 wrote:That dude is 5'11 in shoes, with lifts. He's a talented scorer, but he just doesn't have the height to make it in the League. No amount of character can make up for lacking height in the NBA, especially in this era.

I'm not sure you could ask for much more from a bench PG. In those clips you can see him crossing up and dusting players like Kawhi and Green like walking through water. If he can do that to them... Sure that size is going to be a defensive liability. But from the bench do you really care if he's scoring and setting up others so well? Your other bench players could be better defenders, but players that can't create anything for themselves.
Both past and present, teams keep adding them. There is a role for these guys if they have game. Take a look how many.

Guys like Kyle Lowry at 6ft get things done. DJ Augustine is 5-11.
Kemba is 6-1 on a tall day with a generous yardstick.
Boston's Carson Edwards 5-11, Chris Chiozza Nets 5-11, Trae Young at 6-1 is Atlantas future, Waters 5-10 for Boston,
Clemons 5-9 Rockets addition his past year. JMac 5-11 for MN past year. Did Isaiah Thomas or Barea not last a long while?
The height of all these other players is still a liability. But what they bring to the table can be amazing. Would you pay Kyle Lowry 30 mil like he got last year if he was frozen at his 35 yr old play? Special players are special. But if you can get special for undrafted deals and be able to use them from bench? Now that can be special for a team trying to take the next step.

cberry78 wrote:And please, don't try to talk to Suns fans about whether character matters or not, we almost brought down the entire league in the 80's with our drug scandal. :lol:
I'll take your word for it.

Suns fans. Don't let this Wolf fan sell you on the Timberwolves scraps. No one in the league is going out of their way for McLaughlin lol. IMO suns need to aim higher and get a vet to bring a winning mentality. McLaughlin has been losing his whole career, nothing he can bring from the wolves will help with winning long term. IMO he's only here to test out the Booker market for his Timberpups.

Return to Phoenix Suns