Woj Bomb: Welcome D'Antoni & Udoka 

Post#1 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Re: Woj Bomb: Welcome D'Antoni & Udoka 

Post#2 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 pm

Well. Now we really can expect a quick offense.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#3 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:02 pm

Udoka is coming too!?

WE LANDED NIA LONG!!!!

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,540

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm somewhat iffy on this. I want to see an offense that caters to the strengths of the roster in place, and not what we saw in Houston, I thought that the Rockets were god awful to watch. Nor do I want to see 7 seconds or less.

I want the ball in KD and Kyrie's hands, and I want floor spacing and driving lanes for our guards. Design a good offense around what we have and I'll be satisfied. Make good use out of our rim runner bigs.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,598

Post#5 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:47 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm somewhat iffy on this. I want to see an offense that caters to the strengths of the roster in place, and not what we saw in Houston, I thought that the Rockets were god awful to watch. Nor do I want to see 7 seconds or less.

I want the ball in KD and Kyrie's hands, and I want floor spacing and driving lanes for our guards. Design a good offense around what we have and I'll be satisfied. Make good use out of our rim runner bigs.

I actually think this roster, especially Kyrie, KD & Caris, can thrive in a 7 seconds or less style offense. I think it will also simplify things for guys like Allen & Harris. The benefit we have is that when things break down, we still have elite isolation players to fall back on.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/fast-break-offense-suns.html
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#6 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:03 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm somewhat iffy on this. I want to see an offense that caters to the strengths of the roster in place, and not what we saw in Houston, I thought that the Rockets were god awful to watch. Nor do I want to see 7 seconds or less.

I actually think this roster, especially Kyrie, KD & Caris, can thrive in a 7 seconds or less style offense. I think it will also simplify things for guys like Allen & Harris. The benefit we have is that when things break down, we still have elite isolation players to fall back on.

https://www.breakthroughbasketball.com/offense/fast-break-offense-suns.html

Indeed. It keeps the ball from sticking in the hands of guys like LeVert, Kyrie and even to an extent Dinwiddie and KD too.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#7 » by therealbig3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:38 pm

A lot of what made Houston’s offense whack was Harden though. I think the guy is great, but he tends to ball stop and chew up shot clock, and then pass the ball at the last minute. And when he doesn’t have the ball in his hands, he’s an absolutely useless off ball player. He just stands there and doesn’t move.

Compare that to Curry, who is the best off ball threat in the game. Nobody is better at quick passes and decisions and then an immediate relocation in order to have an open 3. The reason the best 3pt shooter in history gets so many good looks from 3 is because he works for it off ball most of the time.

If we can instill that kind of mentality into Kyrie and KD, the sky’s the limit for this offense. I think they are naturally very good off ball players. I do think they both have some ball stopper tendencies that I would rather they didn’t though.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#8 » by MGrand15 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:56 pm

MDA always adapts to the team he has. Houston played slow and ugly because of Harden. And played 5 out because Westbrook couldn't shoot.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#9 » by Born_Ready » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm

This Udoka addition to the staff is a sneaky underrated hire in my opinion, and I'm lovin' it!
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Paradise

Woj Bomb: Welcome D'Antoni & Udoka 

Post#10 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:10 pm

Y’all are not excited enough for Udoka. He’s a perfect hire.

Udoka, who spent the 2019-20 season as the Philadelphia 76ers top assistant and the previous seven years under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, brings that defensive philosophy the Nets are hoping for.

In his most recent stop with Philadelphia, Udoka was one of the league’s highest-paid assistants, serving as the defensive ‘coordinator’ for the team. After taking the job, he told local writers that while in San Antonio, his job was strategizing against “eight or nine [opposing] teams,” on both ends of the court, his Philly gig was purely defense.

He stressed that the 76ers play physical and make the opposing team feel uncomfortable on the defensive end. Udoka was constantly constructing and making defensive tweaks, especially in the 76ers frontcourt that was anchored by Joel Embiid. The 43-year-old assistant also helped develop Matisse Thybulle, the 76ers rookie known for his thoroughly annoying defense.

One thing Udoka focused on in Philly was how poorly the defense handled pick-and-rolls during the 2018-19 season. Specifically, in “big-small” pick-and-rolls, dropping the big man — having him essentially play “center field,” as Udoka said — became fundamental.

He told Philly beat writers back in September that he wanted “up to touch” coverage where the big man will get so close that he can reach out and touch the back of the screener. The idea behind this approach is to initially close down that gaping space in the middle of the floor, then have the big retreat into center field.

Outside of his defensive prowess, Udoka has been known as a communicator, the “good cop” to Gregg Popovich’s “bad cop.” But as Kyle Anderson put it, “If he gets on you he’ll get on you but he knows how to talk to us, knows how to handle players.”

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:42 pm

MARKS AIN'T PLAYIN, Y'ALL!!!!!

I'm excited at the new hires, this is a loaded staff. I've heard that that will be a major factor in this upcoming season, with a funky schedule. Experts up and down the board to give instruction and tutelage to our players.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:57 pm

KD in D'antoni's offense

TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#13 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:09 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:MARKS AIN'T PLAYIN, Y'ALL!!!!!

I'm excited at the new hires, this is a loaded staff. I've heard that that will be a major factor in this upcoming season, with a funky schedule. Experts up and down the board to give instruction and tutelage to our players.

If Tsai is spending this much on a coaching staff, do we really think he's going to be cheap with the tax?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#14 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:16 pm

Paradise wrote:Y’all are not excited enough for Udoka. He’s a perfect hire.

Udoka, who spent the 2019-20 season as the Philadelphia 76ers top assistant and the previous seven years under Gregg Popovich in San Antonio, brings that defensive philosophy the Nets are hoping for.

In his most recent stop with Philadelphia, Udoka was one of the league’s highest-paid assistants, serving as the defensive ‘coordinator’ for the team. After taking the job, he told local writers that while in San Antonio, his job was strategizing against “eight or nine [opposing] teams,” on both ends of the court, his Philly gig was purely defense.

He stressed that the 76ers play physical and make the opposing team feel uncomfortable on the defensive end. Udoka was constantly constructing and making defensive tweaks, especially in the 76ers frontcourt that was anchored by Joel Embiid. The 43-year-old assistant also helped develop Matisse Thybulle, the 76ers rookie known for his thoroughly annoying defense.

One thing Udoka focused on in Philly was how poorly the defense handled pick-and-rolls during the 2018-19 season. Specifically, in “big-small” pick-and-rolls, dropping the big man — having him essentially play “center field,” as Udoka said — became fundamental.

He told Philly beat writers back in September that he wanted “up to touch” coverage where the big man will get so close that he can reach out and touch the back of the screener. The idea behind this approach is to initially close down that gaping space in the middle of the floor, then have the big retreat into center field.

Outside of his defensive prowess, Udoka has been known as a communicator, the “good cop” to Gregg Popovich’s “bad cop.” But as Kyle Anderson put it, “If he gets on you he’ll get on you but he knows how to talk to us, knows how to handle players.”

Udoka's center field philosophy parallel's what Nash had said in the Ian Eagle interview. We're focusing on protecting the paint & rim. I feel like Allen becomes a more vital piece as the center fielder & in the 5 role of the 7 seconds or less offense.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#15 » by DarkXaero » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:41 pm

I love these hires. MDA was originally one of my top picks for HC, so I'm ecstatic to have him as an assistant coach here. The man is arguably the most creative/innovative basketball mind on offense out there. His work in Phoenix basically led to the blueprint for modern NBA, and he adjusts to his personnel. IMO, he got the absolute most out of what he had in Houston, and overachieved like hell to be so close to beating Warriors with KD. What's also mind blowing is that MDA had to create an effective system with two extremely high usage players who were poor fits on paper twice (Harden/CP3, Harden/Westbrook).

I haven't read much about Udoka in detail but I'm aware of his high reputation and track record. Last season in Philly wasn't great at all, and he'll have much inferior defensive personnel here to work with (as it stands), compared to Philly's roster. But hopefully, he can help us become a strong defensive team.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#16 » by DarkXaero » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:44 pm

I'm not sure why you would be iffy on this. We have one of the best coaches in the entire NBA as our assistant coach somehow. The Rockets' style was primarily a product of Morey's vision, and the only HC who could have had success with that was MDA. And I think he did the best that he could have.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Post#17 » by Papi_swav » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:58 pm

I think this is good singings and will work. As much as I dislike D'Antoni, he has a great offensive mind and just knows how to operate a offense. Udoka should have a lot of defensive knowledge passed down to him from Pop and he knows what it takes to win. I think this will work. Nash and D'Antoni has chemistry together. I just hope Nash don't listen to D'Antoni about making his player play 48 minutes a game and only 7 man rotations, that does not work.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#18 » by DarkXaero » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I think this is good singings and will work. As much as I dislike D'Antoni, he has a great offensive mind and just knows how to operate a offense. Udoka should have a lot of defensive knowledge passed down to him from Pop and he knows what it takes to win. I think this will work. Nash and D'Antoni has chemistry together. I just hope Nash don't listen to D'Antoni about making his player play 48 minutes a game and only 7 man rotations, that does not work.
A few incorrect things in there. D'Antoni never played Harden and Westbrook close to 48 MPG, hell Harden's minutes decreased after MDA's arrival in Houston. Both Harden and Russ averaged around 36 MPG last season, which is fairly normal for NBA superstars. Second, the short rotations were a product of Morey's roster construction. That roster had very little depth, especially as they went into playoffs, and they just didn't have enough talent on the bench for the most part.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#19 » by rmfc » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:26 pm

Congratulations!

Nets will be exciting to watch.
Paradise

Post#20 » by Paradise » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:25 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I think this is good singings and will work. As much as I dislike D'Antoni, he has a great offensive mind and just knows how to operate a offense. Udoka should have a lot of defensive knowledge passed down to him from Pop and he knows what it takes to win. I think this will work. Nash and D'Antoni has chemistry together. I just hope Nash don't listen to D'Antoni about making his player play 48 minutes a game and only 7 man rotations, that does not work.
A few incorrect things in there. D'Antoni never played Harden and Westbrook close to 48 MPG, hell Harden's minutes decreased after MDA's arrival in Houston. Both Harden and Russ averaged around 36 MPG last season, which is fairly normal for NBA superstars. Second, the short rotations were a product of Morey's roster construction. That roster had very little depth, especially as they went into playoffs, and they just didn't have enough talent on the bench for the most part.

I personally don’t see any coach outside of Pop, Doc or possibly Spo who would’ve gotten as much out of those Rockets teams as D’antoni.

They even got extremely better defensively with Elson Turner taking on the defensive coach job after Jeff Bezdeilk left.

Asking D’antoni to create schemes and create relationships with Kyrie, KD, Spencer and Caris is going to be the key to this working and I don’t see why they wouldn’t buy in.

We literally hired the guy who helped mold Kenny Atkinson into who he is today as a coach to groom Steve Nash. Nash pays it forward by hiring Amare into the same role Nash was given by Kerr in GS.

I don’t see why none of these guys would come in here with some agenda or inability to understand their roles when Nash is hiring guys who wouldn’t have been given much of an opportunity elsewhere to win a championship next season as all coaching jobs are dried up. Nobody is waiting to compete for the Thunder job.

D’antoni was in position to land the Sixers job until Doc was available, Udoka was on the Sixers staff looking for HC jobs until he lost his spot to Sam Cassell this week. Nash and Marks reached out to both and it makes sense.

Steve Kerr had Alvin Gentry, Ron Adams on his first coaching staff, Mark Jackson had Mike Malone and now Kerr has former HC Mike Brown on staff. He’s even gone ahead and added Barbosa to the player development coaching staff in GS.

How is that any different to what Nash is creating? Familiarity, Winning Pedigree, Championship Pedigree, etc

Return to Brooklyn Nets