ImageImageImage

MOREY!!!!!

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Re: MOREY!!!!! 

Post#121 » by Sixersftw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:47 pm

ESPN daily is gonna drop an interview with Dad talking about Grandpa. Guys, I think we're gonna be a family again.

(Hinkie is interviewed after the Morey news)
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,753

Post#122 » by Sixersftw » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:06 pm

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/27852002/the-espn-daily-podcast-how-listen-episode-guide-more

Its a great interview, I truly miss Sam. This is the best, least guarded, interview I've ever heard him do.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#123 » by stormi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:18 pm

Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#124 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:35 pm

I wouldn't mind bringing in Hinkie in a small front office role. Stick him in the trade valuations department. Make sure you keep him away from talent evaluations, though.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#125 » by Sixerscan » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:51 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I wouldn't mind bringing in Hinkie in a small front office role. Stick him in the trade valuations department. Make sure you keep him away from talent evaluations, though.

He said on that podcast 0% chance he's ever doing anything in the NBA again. He's doing VC stuff now.
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,133

Post#126 » by Arsenal » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:35 am

stormi wrote:Image

That's awesome. Finally, he can rest easy knowing his legacy is safe.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#127 » by Arsenal » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:03 am

Here it is! Rare interview with the legend Sam Hinkie:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6pOVeZgvkJAXewXvW04l9B?si=eyZqAxonQBetCb5RDLQTHg
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#128 » by Stanford » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:59 am

Ha, I love Sam. He really is the master of saying nothing.

The idea of the Sixers hiring Sam and then sticking him in a closet in the basement gives Kobble such a boner.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,776

Post#129 » by Skates » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:39 am

That was an amazing interview and you can really see how Morey is a guy who can take a flawed, but talented team and have the process and value expanding skills and the heft and power that his long term record affords him to complete what Hinkie started with a far more depleted team and future asset stock and a much lesser name and track record.

I don’t want Hinkie back in basketball or with the Sixers except in one way, one home game in a future NBA Finals in Philly where Hinkie is the damn bell ringer before the game.

Also a great listen between the lines about how the Lakers successfully tanked their way to their current championship, building up assets, saving ling term cap space, high draft picks and all the rest, all without Adam Silver bitching because they made token efforts at winning along the way.
Arsenal
RealGM

Post#130 » by Arsenal » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:49 am

Hinkie is on another level from these typical jock meatheads. Makes sense he has no interest in coming back to the NBA. He'll do fantastic with his new VC firm.

Luckily for us we got the closest thing to him that exists in the NBA in Daryl Morey.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#131 » by 76ciology » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:04 am

What will Morey do? Nobody knows.

He doesn’t care about fit between your team’s top talents. So he’s not gonna trade Biid or Ben because they are a bad fit. If he’s gonna trade one or both of them, it’s because he doesn’t see them becoming a MVP or top 5 NBA talent.

It maybe an unpopular opinion, but what the Lakers did accumulating all their assets and trading them for AD was what I believe is Morey-esque. Maybe our case is different. LA is yearly the utmost preferred destination for all players. Hell.. even Biid and Ben are rumored to be wanted to be drafted by the Lakers when both entered the draft.

Who knows.. maybe Harden would want to get out of Houston and will ask to be traded to Philly. Like Buddy “cryptic” Hield?

Maybe Biid or Ben ends up being MVP caliber talents, and I want both of them to reach that level. For now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,965

Post#132 » by ankle420breaker » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:51 pm

Skates wrote:I don’t want Hinkie back in basketball or with the Sixers except in one way, one home game in a future NBA Finals in Philly where Hinkie is the damn bell ringer before the game.

CHILLS

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,538

Post#133 » by SixthStreet » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Hinkie will own the Sixers one day.
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#134 » by Phillyboy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:48 pm

Since you guys won't appreciate my comments on Hinkie I'll avoid making them here. Let's just say I'm glad he's gone never to return and leave it at that.

Rather return to the subject of MOREY!!!!! and what's on his road map for this team. It seems to me that Morey could have taken a year off to depressurize and watch his stock rise like a lot of guys with a known name in the business do. But he didn't. He took this job right away and I seriously doubt he intends to sit on his hands. On the contrary I think he wants to make a big trade involving stars. Given his reputation as a big player now with a new team I don't think I'm going out on a limb here with my next statement.

Stay with me guys. To make the big splash we'll need to trade one of our stars and I think Morey would consider doing just that.

Better to trade Simmons than Embiid. The recent story that the Sixers would trade Simmons for Harden (who wouldn't?) signals that Simmons could be available if he brings back the big splash return. I know it's just a feeling but let's say for example Morey is hearing reports that Simmons won't be bringing a jump shot with him to camp (again) could mean to him that now is the time to trade Simmons for top return. Another season of no perimeter game out of Simmons and I believe his stock will finally start to drop versus other stars in the league.

I think we should be looking for a blockbuster trade from Morey this off season. Again I hope I'm right
Be a thinker. Not a stinker- Apollo Creed
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#135 » by stormi » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 pm

meme suggestion ngl. and i skimmed through that. ^

Interesting how Hinkie was set on the idea of this being a slower revival and not an immediate fix. I wonder if Morey shares his philosophy. Less erratic trading please.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#136 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:24 pm

Phillyboy wrote:Since you guys won't appreciate my comments on Hinkie I'll avoid making them here. Let's just say I'm glad he's gone never to return and leave it at that.

Rather return to the subject of MOREY!!!!! and what's on his road map for this team. It seems to me that Morey could have taken a year off to depressurize and watch his stock rise like a lot of guys with a known name in the business do. But he didn't. He took this job right away and I seriously doubt he intends to sit on his hands. On the contrary I think he wants to make a big trade involving stars. Given his reputation as a big player now with a new team I don't think I'm going out on a limb here with my next statement.

Stay with me guys. To make the big splash we'll need to trade one of our stars and I think Morey would consider doing just that.

Better to trade Simmons than Embiid. The recent story that the Sixers would trade Simmons for Harden (who wouldn't?) signals that Simmons could be available if he brings back the big splash return. I know it's just a feeling but let's say for example Morey is hearing reports that Simmons won't be bringing a jump shot with him to camp (again) could mean to him that now is the time to trade Simmons for top return. Another season of no perimeter game out of Simmons and I believe his stock will finally start to drop versus other stars in the league.

I think we should be looking for a blockbuster trade from Morey this off season. Again I hope I'm right

There’s not much history of Morey trading stars though. Like he held onto Yao and TMac until basically the ends of their careers despite them never winning anything. He never entertained trading Harden even in down years. Yeah he traded Paul but that seems to be an owner/Harden thing and it was at least for another “star”.

He’ll obviously make some moves but I think it’s more likely if there’s a major trade it’s more emptying the cupboard of young players and assets for another big time player rather than selling high on Simmons or Embiid. Or if he trades one of them it will be for a better player.

Either way I don’t think talking about it in terms of him wanting to “make a splash” is right. It’s more that he’s willing to make a big trade even if it’s unpopular. Whenever it comes. Which is like Hinkie I suppose but Morey should be better at putting a good face on it.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,609

Post#137 » by mithrandir17 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:21 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Hinkie will own the Sixers one day.

Wait.... are you telling me that Hinkie is focusing on his VC business and then buy the sixers when he accumulates enough money??
TTP
Head Coach
And1: 4,398

Post#138 » by TTP » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:44 pm

Phillyboy wrote:Since you guys won't appreciate my comments on Hinkie I'll avoid making them here. Let's just say I'm glad he's gone never to return and leave it at that.

I think it's pretty unlikely unless it's for a top 10 player in return. Morey isn't the dude that trades away star players. He knows how difficult it is to acquire them. He's the dude that pounces when a dumb team trades one away.
jonjames is a signature bet welcher.

Appostis wrote:You're friend ..is a idiot.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,105

Post#139 » by Kobblehead » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:52 pm

Stanford wrote:Ha, I love Sam. He really is the master of saying nothing.

The idea of the Sixers hiring Sam and then sticking him in a closet in the basement gives Kobble such a boner.

Nah, I don't want to banish him to the basement, I just want him to reprise his role under Morey in Houston. Asset management and working on contractual intricacies. That's his bag, not talent eval.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,859

Post#140 » by Stanford » Sun Nov 1, 2020 12:34 am

rock hard, folks

Return to Philadelphia 76ers