Elton Brand Signs Multiyear Extension, Daryl Morey To Be Introduced Monday

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Elton Brand Signs Multiyear Extension, Daryl Morey To Be Introduced Monday 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 1, 2020 5:09 pm

Elton Brand has signed a multiyear contract extension to remain the GM of the Philadelphia 76ers, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Brand was promoted to the role in 2018.

It was reported that the Sixers recently extended Brand for two years

Daryl Morey's five-year contract to be the new President of Basketball Operations is also now official, and he will be introduced on Monday.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Re: Elton Brand Signs Multiyear Extension, Daryl Morey To Be Introduced Monday 

Post#2 » by druggas » Sun Nov 1, 2020 6:01 pm

Doesn't make sense.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,960

Post#3 » by Cassius » Sun Nov 1, 2020 6:16 pm

druggas wrote:Doesn't make sense.

I think the Sixers realized a few things:

1. Good luck firing your black GM in 2020, especially after he hired a black coach
2. If Hinkie had a mentor, he'd probably still have a job and they wouldn't have pissed away all of those picks
3. Masai Ujiri and Bobby Webster have the same setup in Toronto, and the partnership might be the most lauded in the league
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#4 » by Rashidi » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:21 pm

Cassius wrote:
druggas wrote:Doesn't make sense.

I think the Sixers realized a few things:

1. Good luck firing your black GM in 2020, especially after he hired a black coach
2. If Hinkie had a mentor, he'd probably still have a job and they wouldn't have pissed away all of those picks
3. Masai Ujiri and Bobby Webster have the same setup in Toronto, and the partnership might be the most lauded in the league

I don't think you realize many teams already have this setup. Pat Riley is the Heat President, but is effectively the team's GM (not the technical GM, Andy Elisburg).

Scott Perry has been the Knicks "GM" for 3 years, but was only the top decision-maker for 1 month (the period between Steve Mills and Leon Rose).

Brand is being retained, but it's effectively a demotion, in terms of responsibility.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#5 » by jason bourne » Sun Nov 1, 2020 8:43 pm

Hope the Sixers put up Ben Simmons on the trading block now.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 10:35 pm

Elton Brand is the Chandler Parsons of basketball executives
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#7 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Nov 1, 2020 10:46 pm

this is a really clueless organization
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,249

Post#8 » by pr0wler » Sun Nov 1, 2020 10:55 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Elton Brand is the Chandler Parsons of basketball executives

Lmfao. Great analogy tbh
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#9 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Nov 1, 2020 11:40 pm

This is strange news... wasn’t Brand promoted already?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#10 » by dubbmotta » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:35 am

Didn’t he give Al Horrford that terrible contract?????
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#11 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:39 am

jason bourne wrote:Hope the Sixers put up Ben Simmons on the trading block now.

Simmons and his jumper are as good as gone... to bad LA has sweet eff all to trade, unless they'd do an AD for Simmons package. Who says no? LOL
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,249

Post#12 » by pr0wler » Mon Nov 2, 2020 2:39 am

dubbmotta wrote:Didn’t he give Al Horrford that terrible contract?????

Yes, yes he did. Good thing he's such a great fit too with all the other big men in the 76ers lineup!! :lol:
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#13 » by dubbmotta » Mon Nov 2, 2020 12:00 pm

I’m black..so with that being said, Stephen A Smith needs to rip the 76ers like he did the Nets in hiring Steve Nash...this fool brand hasn’t done anything to get the job nor get an extension. He came in and made the team worst! My point is these NBA moves are not about race it’s about owners making very questionable decisions lol
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#14 » by Tamimi » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:07 pm

dubbmotta wrote:I’m black..so with that being said, Stephen A Smith needs to rip the 76ers like he did the Nets in hiring Steve Nash...this fool brand hasn’t done anything to get the job nor get an extension. He came in and made the team worst! My point is these NBA moves are not about race it’s about owners making very questionable decisions lol

Regardless of race, I think that Stephen Smith rarely ads insight and he's nothing more than a showman. He does whatever it takes to survive professionally.

As to Brand, he's one of those NBA professionals that makes you ask yourself: on what basis do these guys get evaluated?
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#15 » by Tamimi » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:11 pm

dubbmotta wrote:Didn’t he give Al Horrford that terrible contract?????

Yep. Horribleford is one of the luckiest and overrated NBA players. Since leaving ATL, he's been paid like an all-star. When was the time he dominated a game? Not a single game you'd look at over his time with BOS and PHI where one could say he dominated that game.

Heck, even Dwight Howard had a 30-30 game three years ago.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#16 » by objectivefan » Mon Nov 2, 2020 1:51 pm

dubbmotta wrote:I’m black..so with that being said, Stephen A Smith needs to rip the 76ers like he did the Nets in hiring Steve Nash...this fool brand hasn’t done anything to get the job nor get an extension. He came in and made the team worst! My point is these NBA moves are not about race it’s about owners making very questionable decisions lol

Stephen A Smith, does not add insight beyond the obvious take. To me, he falls back on "I know basketball more than you, therefore I say Giannis is the best player in the league". He only goes after the 10-second youtube sound bite

Max Kellermen adds value, even if/when he is wrong you can at least understand the thought process that went into his conclusion.

Regarding Brand, WTF was he thinking in signing Horford at that price when no one else was even offering 1/2 of it?

If he got him on the cheap side ($10 mill year) then you could quickly overlook the parts not fitting

Lets see.. my team is not a good shooting team, lets add an overpriced old Big that can't bang inside and can't shoot either. What could go wrong with that
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Nov 2, 2020 7:15 pm

objectivefan wrote:

Stephen A Smith, does not add insight beyond the obvious take. To me, he falls back on "I know basketball more than you, therefore I say Giannis is the best player in the league". He only goes after the 10-second youtube sound bite

Max Kellermen adds value, even if/when he is wrong you can at least understand the thought process that went into his conclusion.

Regarding Brand, WTF was he thinking in signing Horford at that price when no one else was even offering 1/2 of it?

If he got him on the cheap side ($10 mill year) then you could quickly overlook the parts not fitting

Lets see.. my team is not a good shooting team, lets add an overpriced old Big that can't bang inside and can't shoot either. What could go wrong with that

Agreed on Stephen A. That dude is just looking for soundbites. He talks enough that eventually something rings true, but most of his takes are garbage. I can see why some folks find him entertaining though!

Brand brought in Horford because he expected Embiid to miss half the season again. Turn out he missed 21 games in a shortened season. I don't agree with the money, but I understand the concept. The biggest issue PHI has is that Simmons won't shoot from outside 10 feet and Embiid should shoot less from outside 10 feet. If they both shot about 2 3pt per game this team would be much scarier. I predict trades on the horizon... maybe for both of those 2.

Return to Wiretap Discussion