ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 2 

Post#1101 » by Ernest » Tue Nov 3, 2020 1:37 pm

Knock Knock

Who's there?

Dishes

Dishes who?

Dishes Sean Connery. (This is Sean Connery but said in his accent)
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#1102 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 2:29 pm

Didn't need an alarm clock this morning as the earthquake woke me up!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#1103 » by canman1971 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 3:39 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:This is a good mini-series, y'all. A tad too long but was engaging nonetheless. Anya Taylor-Joy absolutely killed in the role. And the supporting characters were enjoyable as well.
Read on Twitter

Yeah, just finished last night. After watching Ozark and Yellowstone, I thought she
Spoiler:
was gonna get whacked at the end.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#1104 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#1105 » by threrf23 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:49 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#1106 » by Green89 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 11:48 pm

Green89 wrote:Didn't need an alarm clock this morning as the earthquake woke me up!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/11/08/massachusetts-earthquake-november-8/

Strongest to hit Massachusetts since 1976.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#1107 » by Pacino62 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:36 am

Ok. I, as most people, have seen a lot of garbage over the last 5-6 months. There were a few highlights thought...

1.-Possessor - On Demand - My favorite film of 2020
2.-Love and Monsters - On Demand - Top 5 2020
3.-The Wolf of Snow Hollow - On Demand - Think Fargo meets American Werewolf in London
4.-The Mortuary Collection - Shudder - comedy/horror anthology
5.-Spiral - Shudder - solid psychological horror
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#1108 » by NPZ » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Did Lakers at C's 98. Pitino era. Included the door commentary in description. How long did that full court trapping last that year? This was in Nov.

;lc=UgxNiLL_uUrgBGFi_Tx4AaABAg
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#1109 » by Pacino62 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:05 pm

The Informer and Jungleland were both very good...
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1110 » by greenroom31 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Shaun Martin, one of my favorite jazz musicians who plays with Snarky Puppy some recently released a new album which is great listening for anyone interested: https://soundcloud.com/shaunmartinofficial/sets/three-o-2

It's somewhat reminiscent of Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock and Shaun is just a freaking masterful piano/keyboard/organ player.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1111 » by jmr07019 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:15 pm

Love the song writing and chord progressions of this band. Almost every song has a cool breakdown, jazzy interlude, etc. Front man has got a great voice and shreds with the best of them

Show Love Spread Love
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#1112 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:43 am

Wayne on netflix is pretty good, if you like something between the natural born killers and shameless.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,220

Post#1113 » by djFan71 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:53 am

greenroom31 wrote:Shaun Martin, one of my favorite jazz musicians who plays with Snarky Puppy some recently released a new album which is great listening for anyone interested: https://soundcloud.com/shaunmartinofficial/sets/three-o-2

It's somewhat reminiscent of Head Hunters by Herbie Hancock and Shaun is just a freaking masterful piano/keyboard/organ player.

Cool stuff. Definitely get that HH HH vibe.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#1114 » by sam_I_am » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:44 pm

Pacino62 wrote:Ok. I, as most people, have seen a lot of garbage over the last 5-6 months. There were a few highlights thought...

3.-The Wolf of Snow Hollow - On Demand - Think Fargo meets American Werewolf in London

That is super high praise for Wolf of Snow Hollow as Fargo and American Werewolf in London are all time greats. Will add it to my watch list.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#1115 » by Pacino62 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:34 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:Ok. I, as most people, have seen a lot of garbage over the last 5-6 months. There were a few highlights thought...

That is super high praise for Wolf of Snow Hollow as Fargo and American Werewolf in London are all time greats. Will add it to my watch list.

Yeah man. As unique a movie I’ve seen in a while (in a good way)

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1116 » by Feed Your Head » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:53 am

I know a good amount of people stopped watching around season 6-8, but props to this show for going so long. And while the quality wasn’t quite the same the last 6-7 seasons, the show could still drop some of the most enjoyable episodes of tv.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,246

Post#1117 » by TheMartian » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm

The Comedian wrote:I know a good amount of people stopped watching around season 6-8, but props to this show for going so long. And while the quality wasn’t quite the same the last 6-7 seasons, the show could still drop some of the most enjoyable episodes of tv.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

One of my favorite TV shows, although I stopped watching after Season 11. I still plan on catching up soon, just to find out what happens to the brothers.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,966

Post#1118 » by sam_I_am » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:42 pm

Robert Plant’s new release is fantastic. It’s more a compilation of great songs than a greatest hits of his solo work with a few new songs

https://relix.com/reviews/detail/robert-plant-digging-deep-subterranea/
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1119 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:48 pm

For those who game and plan on buying a new console - go with the ps5. The controller is fantastic. Really adds another dimension of immersion.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#1120 » by Parliament10 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:11 am

SMTBSI wrote:Ima right a short story where literally everything posted on twitter is true. Contradictions, impossibilities, all of it. It's gonna be a sci-fi comedy horror sports romance starring coach mang, Celtics History Lesson, Pogue Mahone, and several of Constable's lesser known egos.

Fencer reregistered wrote:Poul Anderson once wrote a book whose premise was that everything Shakespeare wrote was true, from Prospero's Isle to Fortinbras' cannon. The premise sort of worked. Not among my 10 favorite books of his, however.

SMTBSI wrote:Well, if you've read enough Poul Anderson to have a top 10, let me ask you:

What are some of your favorite sci-fi novels, by any author, that I've likely not read?

Fencer reregistered wrote:I don't know anything about your reading habits, other than that you seem to know who Poul Anderson, but for starters and in no particular order:

-- Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series is amazing. Miles is my favorite dwarf character, Tyrion Lannister not excepted.
-- If you haven't read Leguin's Left Hand of Darkness, it's one of the greats.
-- Samuel Delany's Babel-17 is as great as his other books without the tediousness that can creep in.
-- I love Zelazny, who could write pure fantasy (Amber series) or do similar stuff in SF (the delightful Lord of Light or the great but depressing This Immortal). His novella A Rose For Ecclesiastes was one of the things that first hooked me on SF. Lord of Light is an amazing romp: Space travelers reinvent Hinduism (with functioning reincarnation) and are evil despots. One of their number reinvents Buddhism to lead a revolution.
-- In general, the Science Fiction Hall of Fame is a lot of what hooked me. Vols 2A and 2B were even better than Vol 1.
-- Niven/Pournelle was a great collaboration. Mote in God's Eye was their best.
-- Generally I love Niven's hard SF. And one of his best stories, Inconstant Moon, can be found plagiarized online.
-- Brin's Practice Effect is a fun, fantasy-like romp.
-- Also on the light side, Piers Anthony's first six Blue Adept books are fun. But stop with the series right there.
-- I really liked John Brunner's work back in the day, notably Shockwave Rider. That might seem dated now, however; I haven't read it for decades. His fantasy Traveler in Black is woefully underrated.
-- In straight fantasy with strong Earth history analogues, I really like G. G. Kay's A Song For Arbonne and Turtledove's Videssos series.

I also edited some of my wife's paranormal erotic romances, one of which was a top seller on Amazon, but I'm going to guess your taste doesn't run in that direction. :)

SMTBSI wrote:Actually never read any Poul Anderson, which is why I asked: if you've got a full top-10 by an author I haven't even gotten to yet, you were likely way better read than I.

At this point, I've mostly been exposed to the big names classics that are readily findable in any book store. Asimov, Clarke, Herbert, Bradbury, Heinlein, Le Guin (Left Hand is certainly an all-time favorite), Dick, etc. Some Niven/Pournelle, including Mote+sequel and Footfall. Bester - The Stars My Destination. Still on the lookout for The Demolished Man.

I'm mostly thrifting these days. Last haul included my first exposure to Harlan Ellison and Delany. Babel-17 has been on my list for a while, per an earlier recommendation, but haven't found it yet. Not much modern stuff, but The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi was absolutely excellent.

Either way, you've got a couple names in there I've definitely never heard of, which was the goal. So, thank you very much.

Fencer reregistered wrote:Got it. You're welcome. :)

Poul Anderson was one of those guys who wrote both hard SF and fantasy. His fantasy was more memorable. If you can find his anthology with 5 novellas including Goat Song and Queen of Air and Darkness, they're awesome. (Fantasy in spirit; technically SF.) Tau Zero is my my favorite straight SF novel by him. Three Hearts and Three Lions is one of his fun fantasies, as is one whose name I'm now forgetting about a witch and a werewolf in a magic-heavy alternate WW2 and beyond. The Man Who Counts (straight SF) is the most memorable of his van Rijn books/stories.

Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series is one of the all time classics (I think the first was called To Your Scattered Bodies Go, but check). Ditto Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight series, if you don't mind that 4 of the first 6 books have female protagonists. (I think that's the name of the first book.)

Spider Robinson's Callahan's Saloon story collections were fun ... uh, you do like puns, don't you? ;)

I'll stop now. :)

Bad-Thoma wrote:I'm not as well read as either of you apparently but am a sci-fi/fantasy go to as well, if you're looking for something more modern The Expanse novels by James S.A. Corey are good fun. I know we're in the wrong thread though.

floyd wrote:Recommendation for The Three-Body Problem. Hard Sci-fi from a Chinese author (Cixin Liu). Slow pacing but I really enjoyed the series.

yosemiteben wrote:Totally off topic but I loved that series, highly recommended.

Curmudgeon wrote:I love the Expanse, both in print and on the screen. My other faves are CJ Cherryh's Faded Sun Trilogy and her Morgaine Cycle, and of course Asimov's Foundation trilogy. I'd also love to see a movie of Cherryh's Serpent's Reach, to let the guys and gals at WETA Digital have a go at the Majat, her alien species from that book.

CavemanDoctor wrote:Netflix has greenlit the production of a The Three-Body Problem series by the way. Created by the creators of Game of Thrones. Just FYI!

Fencer reregistered wrote:While we're on filmed adaptations of great book series, His Dark Materials is VASTLY better than the movie was. Season 1 did suffer from lack of budget, specifically in that humans' intertwining with daemons wasn't clear, and similarly a little in the bear/armor area. But otherwise it was excellent. Little of the acting was scenery-chewing brilliant, but this is a story where almost every important character has important internal conflict, and the actors and writers were consistently effective at capturing that.

I base that all on Season 1, but my wife tells me Season 2 recently started.

Y'all should check out Octavia Butler. She was an African-American Feminist Sci-Fi Writer.
Most of her Protagonists are African-American Women.

She wrote a number of really great series of books. The Pattermaster Series (of 5 books), Xenogenesis Trilogy, Parable Series.
Though, her most acclaimed work is Kindred, ironically a solo novel.

Here's the Wikipedia link detailing her works and life. It's mostly accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia_E._Butler

She was a fantastic Writer. Unfortunately, she passed in 2006.
I don't know too many African-American Women, who wrote as well as her, in the Sci-Fi genre.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics