Re: 2020 Draft Rumors Thread 

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:20 pm

Read on Twitter
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#63 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Nov 5, 2020 5:07 pm

Not surprised OO is gaining steam. Great mix of high ceiling and high floor. Bigs with elite physical tools and elite motors generally succeed as long as they have even a miniscule feel for the game, and OO has a very nice feel.

Ability to guard PF and C is huge as well.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#64 » by nolang1 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 5:57 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Seems like Charlotte is just doing its due diligence by putting itself into trade talks with Boston or whoever else wants to move up for Okongwu. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Okongwu ends up a top-3 player from 2020, but if that's really the case I'd be much more interested in trying to get future picks than moving up in this draft.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#65 » by doordoor123 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 10:38 pm

Yeah, a lot of teams are trying to trade up to 3 to get Okongwu. This pushes LaMelo Ball to 4. I think it'll be 1. Edwards 2. Wiseman 3. Okongwu 4. Ball or Avidja

I think this is starting to unravel. After Ball and Avidja I think Haliburton is next and then I think it gets kind of open.

I can see Ball falling farther too, but I don't see him falling past the Pistons.

I also think all this Patrick Williams talk has just been talk. Teams think he has upside, but not ready right now. All this talk of him going to the Pistons is nonsense, they're taking a PG and we all know it. I think the earliest teams are going to look at Williams is 12.

RJ Hampton and Kira Lewis seem to have a lot of teams who like them and see them as lottery picks. Some teams even see Hampton at the same level as Killian Hayes. Im in that boat. I love Hampton.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,981

Post#66 » by Chi town » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:28 am

Seems like OO is the backup plan if Wiseman is off the board at 3. I personally like OO a lot better than Wiseman.

Still donā€™t think Dubs take a big. If they pick it will be Deni.

If Deni is gone and Ball falls to 4 I think my Bulls will trade back to 7 and take Hayes or Hali.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#67 » by MemphisX » Fri Nov 6, 2020 8:47 am

Warriors are not drafting at 2. No way they can look at those dudes and bring in just a rookie and say they did their best.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#68 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:31 am

What the Warriors do is the wildcard of the top of the draft. That's where the biggest buzz will be.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#69 » by No-Man » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:40 am

The Charlotte, Okongwu thing is such an obvious smokescreen

There are no real trade downs or trade outs that work, Wolves and Warriors are likely to stay put, dunno how that's a wildcard
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#70 » by doordoor123 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 2:41 pm

Fischella wrote:The Charlotte, Okongwu thing is such an obvious smokescreen

There are no real trade downs or trade outs that work, Wolves and Warriors are likely to stay put, dunno how that's a wildcard

Charlotte wants to trade up to get Wiseman. If the Warriors really like other players then I donā€™t see why not let Charlotte. The Warriors can probably get a useful player from Charlotte plus the 3rd pick. Then they can trade the 3rd pick for another useful player or even trade down more if they like other guys. Because the Warriors seem to like other guys, although itā€™s probably a smokescreen.

And by the way, the reason Okongwu might get taken 3rd is because the value for the 3rd pick is so high right now. Everyone wants to trade up for Okongwu. Itā€™s not just the Hornets. Ideally the Hornet could get more for trading the pick than keeping it.

I can totally see Ball falling. Would it be a mistake? Maybe, but people make mistakes in drafts all the time.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#71 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 6, 2020 2:44 pm

Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 6, 2020 3:23 pm

Fischella wrote:The Charlotte, Okongwu thing is such an obvious smokescreen

Who are the Warriors going to pick?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 384

Post#73 » by pad300 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:49 pm

Fischella wrote:...

Not sure I believe that, it depends how much financial pain the Warriors are willing to eat, and what they would be willing to pay to get out of said pain. If I understand their situation correctly, they are in 3.5 to 1 repeater tax territory for next season (ie. if they are $10 million into Lux territory in the 20-21 season, they pay 35 million in taxes). Wiggins's contract keeps them in the lux tax, and #2 costs ~$40 million that season (9 million base +3.5*9 = 40.5).

LMA for Wiggins gets them out of the repeater as of 21-22, saving them something on the order of $200 million over the next 2 years. It might also give them a better shot next year - LMA can be at least a counterweight to good bigs like AD and Jokic, while Wiggins just isn't moving the needle. The question is what picks go where as compensation - does SAS or GSW get greedy?
Possible combinations:

#2 to SAS
MIN 2021 1st to SAS
#2 and MIN 2021 1st to SAS
#2 to SAS #11 to GSW
#2 and MIN 2021 1st to SAS # 11 to GSW

If I was SAS, I would want the bolded, and maybe ask for more. But my opinion is that the Wiggins contract is poison in this cap environment...
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#74 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:18 pm

The Warriors can probably get a useful player from Charlotte plus the 3rd pick

Miles Bridges + #3 for #2 if CHA really believes Wiseman is levels better than the next avaliable prospect?

I dont think CHA will move PJ or Graham and I dont think Monk has any real value so the guy on the table sorta has to be Bridges.

Hell, if CHA thinks Wiseman is a true franchise player maybe a Batum + 3 for Wiggins + 2 swap.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#75 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 2:15 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Not surprised OO is gaining steam. Great mix of high ceiling and high floor. Bigs with elite physical tools and elite motors generally succeed as long as they have even a miniscule feel for the game, and OO has a very nice feel.

WCJ isn't exactly lighting the NBA on fire and that's how he was described I believe
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,217

Post#76 » by amcoolio » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:00 am

skywalker33 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Not surprised OO is gaining steam. Great mix of high ceiling and high floor. Bigs with elite physical tools and elite motors generally succeed as long as they have even a miniscule feel for the game, and OO has a very nice feel.

WCJ isn't exactly lighting the NBA on fire and that's how he was described I believe

Onyeka is a really good passer which makes me believe he can become a really great playmaker, he just needs to tighten his jumpshot and handle
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#77 » by MemphisX » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:52 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

Why? They need a center and OO compliments PJ very well. If you think OO can be the 3rd best player on a playoff team, you take him. And I think he can.

The issue is Charlotte finding guys that can be the best and 2nd best players on a good team. I dont think Graham is that guy, but I also dont think they find either of those guys at #3 this year.

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#78 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:12 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

Not the same mobility at all BigO is a 2-5 defender probably stays in front of most ball handling experts too.
Jury still out on wcj as well...
There really isnt much compared to carter other than potential as a playmaker though with Okongwu and he showed a lot more bbiq in college at same age etc.
If in same draft class big O the more impressive prospect for sure.
Now just go out snd add a jumper from 3 and hes a legit high minutes starter.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#79 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:05 pm

MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

This! GMs shouldn't be looking for a #1 or even a #2 in this draft. If you find one, it will literally be lucky. Noone in this draft has the profile of a #1 on a championship team. Maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now. OO might be the surest thing in this draft of being that Bam/Draymond type player on a contender.

this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#80 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:10 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
MemphisX wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

this type of b.s. is what draft "experts" use to absolve them from not getting it right and excuse them for getting it wrong. There are absolutely guys with superstar potential in this draft. So "maybe a Giannis or Kawhi emerges later but nobody can see it now" is bunk because people DID see that from Giannis and Kawhi, just not the talking head gurus or most inept G.M.s

Is your position you think Woodard is the next Giannis or Kawhi? I mean he has a nice frame athleticism and a decent baseline skillset but the guy is far from being anything close to as skilled as those 2 were coming in. Kawhi was slept on for sure and needed offensive development but he had more intangibles. Giannis was playing against nobody and so orgs severely miscalculated his trajectory but he was far more skilled with the ball than RW.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to NBA Draft