ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets could share Barclays with the Raptors next season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets could share Barclays with the Raptors next season  

Post#1 » by Paradise » Fri Nov 6, 2020 2:25 am

Barclays would be interested to make up lost revenue from concerts and missed games but the irony here is classic.

The NBA's Toronto Raptors would love to play next season at home, but with travel between the U.S. and Canada currently restricted — including a 14-day quarantine — they're weighing a temporary U.S. residence.

The state of play: The NBA season is expected to start on Dec. 22, and a surge in positive cases in the U.S. means travel restrictions could remain for a while.

The MLB's Blue Jays dealt with the same problem, ultimately playing home games at Buffalo's Sahlen Field, a minor league ballpark.
Multiple options are being discussed, with two candidates emerging as early frontrunners:

Prudential Center (Newark, N.J.): This one makes a lot of sense given its proximity to the Raptors' divisional foes (Celtics, Sixers, Knicks, Nets). Limiting travel cuts costs, and I don't need to tell you how important that is this year.

Barclays Center (Brooklyn, N.Y.): If the Lakers and Clippers can share Staples Center, the Nets and Raptors can do the same.
The bottom line: The decision will likely come down to money, which includes travel costs and local TV markets. Seven weeks left — the clock's ticking.

https://www.axios.com/toronto-raptors-coronavirus-us-canada-restrictions-87ba1b05-bcbb-4948-94ac-a00b37f27ed1.html

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,745

Re: Nets could share Barclays with the Raptors next season 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:43 am

They should play at the Pru.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:00 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:They should play at the Pru.

they seriously should. its an amazing arena in its own rights and they can stay in lower risk enviornments in the burbs
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:39 pm

Will we also get Raps games on a local network then?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#5 » by Stone » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:52 pm

I guess there is no word on if the NBA will allow fans at the games for the upcoming season.

I know if they do allow fans and the Raps are playing at the Prudential, I would go to a few games. Which in turn would lead me to go to less of our games at the Barclays. I mention it because if it did happen it would effect ticket sales for the Nets and Knicks.

I am so ready for this Covid19 thing to be over....... :banghead:
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#6 » by kamaze » Sat Nov 7, 2020 2:22 am

They played in Buffalo last year run it back.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Nov 7, 2020 3:12 am

Stone wrote:I guess there is no word on if the NBA will allow fans at the games for the upcoming season.

I know if they do allow fans and the Raps are playing at the Prudential, I would go to a few games. Which in turn would lead me to go to less of our games at the Barclays. I mention it because if it did happen it would effect ticket sales for the Nets and Knicks.

Covid cases are skyrocketing around the country and NJ is seeing at least 1.5-2k new cases being reported daily, this is up from around 150-300 per day during the summer. Both NY and NJ might go into winter lockdown if this trend continues. It would be criminal negligence to allow fans in any of the basketball arenas.

Meanwhile, down the street my dumb ass neighbors are having a party with tons of people. :crazy:

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#8 » by Stone » Sat Nov 7, 2020 1:14 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Stone wrote:I guess there is no word on if the NBA will allow fans at the games for the upcoming season.

Covid cases are skyrocketing around the country and NJ is seeing at least 1.5-2k new cases being reported daily, this is up from around 150-300 per day during the summer. Both NY and NJ might go into winter lockdown if this trend continues. It would be criminal negligence to allow fans in any of the basketball arenas.

Meanwhile, down the street my dumb ass neighbors are having a party with tons of people. :crazy:

Ironically , right after I posted I got an E-mail from the Nets/NBA for a survey about attending games. Questions like "How willing would you be to arrive two hours before a game?". Would I be willing to be swabbed or saliva tested? What if we did not sell food and drinks? What are your concerns?.....ect

Seems like an awful lot to go through. It could take hours just to get out of the arena.

A friend once told me he attended an event in Japan many years ago and when it was over an announcer said something like "Section 212 you have permission to leave now" and people would just sit there calmly waiting to exit......That would never fly here.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 8, 2020 1:54 am

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Ironically , right after I posted I got an E-mail from the Nets/NBA for a survey about attending games. Questions like "How willing would you be to arrive two hours before a game?". Would I be willing to be swabbed or saliva tested? What if we did not sell food and drinks? What are your concerns?.....ect

Seems like an awful lot to go through. It could take hours just to get out of the arena.

A friend once told me he attended an event in Japan many years ago and when it was over an announcer said something like "Section 212 you have permission to leave now" and people would just sit there calmly waiting to exit......That would never fly here.

All that stress to watch a basketball game? I would rather watch at home.

The NBA is going to lose revenue, but it's not worth it. The players are already going to be at risk due to travel and staying in market.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#10 » by TheNetsFan » Sun Nov 8, 2020 3:09 am

I still haven't been to Barclays yet. Previous seasons had very few Fri-Sun home games. Last season was looking more promising before Covid. It's just too far for me to get there on a work day.

If I have the opportunity, I might go once. I want to get a chance to see the arena, but more importantly see KD and Kyrie as Nets live at least once.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:48 am

TheNetsFan wrote:I still haven't been to Barclays yet. Previous seasons had very few Fri-Sun home games. Last season was looking more promising before Covid. It's just too far for me to get there on a work day.

If I have the opportunity, I might go once. I want to get a chance to see the arena, but more importantly see KD and Kyrie as Nets live at least once.

I want to see them too, but lets hope now that the country has new leadership, we can at least get the '21-22 season to see them.

Barclays is amazing dude. Every time I've gone I've had a great time.

vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#12 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Nov 8, 2020 6:24 am

Yeah, Barclays is off the hook.

Last time I was there I wound up sitting next to Net Income for half the game, that was interesting haha.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#13 » by kamaze » Sun Nov 8, 2020 9:21 am

TheNetsFan wrote:I still haven't been to Barclays yet. Previous seasons had very few Fri-Sun home games. Last season was looking more promising before Covid. It's just too far for me to get there on a work day.

I haven't been either for similar reasons too long a trip coming from where I am in Jersey. Would have to be in the city already and go from families house in Queens or Long Island.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets