ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1281 » by ruffian253 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:35 am

Changing the up the Warren comp theme, as I dont think both are really comparable in style of play, whereas one is a slasher/driver and the other is a more cerebral pull up jumper player, with Wall and Beal on the roster next year, Bryant needing shots, plus poor coaching, will Rui have an opportunity to develop his offensive game or will he be relegated to an opportunity scorer or an after thought on offense.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#1282 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:32 am

ruffian253 wrote:...with Wall and Beal on the roster next year, Bryant needing shots, plus poor coaching, will Rui have an opportunity to develop his offensive game or will he be relegated to an opportunity scorer or an after thought on offense.

Given that Rui doesn't pass, if he is on the court he will be a scorer. If he gets playing time he will get chances to score. And he will get those minutes, the team is not deep enough to not use all of their talent.

Will he succeed and improve? Yes. Hachimura played best when IT was gone, replaced by Shabazz Napier, with Ish moving to the starting spot. No surprise that he saw an uptick in touches, and with competent passers at the PG spot he played some of his best ball for the year. All rooks have ups and downs, especially once the opposing scouts adjust to what you are doing, but he showed enough skill that a guy like John Wall will have a good idea of how to use him.

An underrated aspect of his game is that Rui does not turn the ball over. He has huge soft mitts that can catch a ball in motion and in traffic. He sets picks and rolls well, he runs hard and fills lanes, he has athleticism to fill aerial lanes on the back door off the baseline and as the roll man after a pick. When open, his jumper in the midrange hits at a decent clip. Trust Wall to make that work, and expect Wall to do a fair amount of on court instruction as well. It's not all up to the coaches. Both Ish and Napier are both fairly low key and not especially vocal on court. Wall has never been quiet, he will pump Rui up and put him in position to succeed. The improvement of Bryant's outside shot will help as well, giving Rui room to get loose down low when Bryant's man follows him on the pick and pop.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#1283 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:23 pm

doclinkin wrote:
ruffian253 wrote:...with Wall and Beal on the roster next year, Bryant needing shots, plus poor coaching, will Rui have an opportunity to develop his offensive game or will he be relegated to an opportunity scorer or an after thought on offense.

Given that Rui doesn't pass, if he is on the court he will be a scorer. If he gets playing time he will get chances to score. And he will get those minutes, the team is not deep enough to not use all of their talent.

Will he succeed and improve? Yes. Hachimura played best when IT was gone, replaced by Shabazz Napier, with Ish moving to the starting spot. No surprise that he saw an uptick in touches, and with competent passers at the PG spot he played some of his best ball for the year. All rooks have ups and downs, especially once the opposing scouts adjust to what you are doing, but he showed enough skill that a guy like John Wall will have a good idea of how to use him.

An underrated aspect of his game is that Rui does not turn the ball over. He has huge soft mitts that can catch a ball in motion and in traffic. He sets picks and rolls well, he runs hard and fills lanes, he has athleticism to fill aerial lanes on the back door off the baseline and as the roll man after a pick. When open, his jumper in the midrange hits at a decent clip. Trust Wall to make that work, and expect Wall to do a fair amount of on court instruction as well. It's not all up to the coaches. Both Ish and Napier are both fairly low key and not especially vocal on court. Wall has never been quiet, he will pump Rui up and put him in position to succeed. The improvement of Bryant's outside shot will help as well, giving Rui room to get loose down low when Bryant's man follows him on the pick and pop.

You point about his good hands is important. I feel like Rui likes to pick-and-pop much more than pick-and-roll, when in fact he should be an excellent finisher when rolling. Hopefully, Wall will get that out of him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1284 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:43 pm

What impressed me most about Rui at Gonzaga was his aggression going to the hoop - moreso than his mid-range game. I hope to see more of that this season and less settling. I know a lot depends on the opposition, because he got a lot of his shots blocked, but he's got a year of experience now and hopefully an improved bag of tricks. It also helps that Bryant will bring his man outside - as Doc mentioned. When that happens, Rui can take his man 1 on 1 to the rack. And if he can make the 3 a weapon, it'll help him even more.

With the defensive issues of Bryant, Rui, and Bertans, we'll need to be a great offensive team, and we just might be that - considering we have a Beal/Wall backcourt - with the new and improved Wall 3ball. We'll give up a lot, but we'll score more will likely be the style of play and attitude. The Wiz are going to have a potent offense next season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1285 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:What impressed me most about Rui at Gonzaga was his aggression going to the hoop - moreso than his mid-range game. I hope to see more of that this season and less settling. I know a lot depends on the opposition, because he got a lot of his shots blocked, but he's got a year of experience now and hopefully an improved bag of tricks. It also helps that Bryant will bring his man outside - as Doc mentioned. When that happens, Rui can take his man 1 on 1 to the rack. And if he can make the 3 a weapon, it'll help him even more.

With the defensive issues of Bryant, Rui, and Bertans, we'll need to be a great offensive team, and we just might be that - considering we have a Beal/Wall backcourt - with the new and improved Wall 3ball. We'll give up a lot, but we'll score more will likely be the style of play and attitude. The Wiz are going to have a potent offense next season.

We aren't going anywhere with plodding Bryant as a starter. Wall, Beal, and Rui are fast paced crush with high energy and running the court. Bryant's plodding style only works when we face true centers that are offensive weapons. Not many of those when you look at the top 4 playoffs teams in eastern conference this year. Only Embiid.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1286 » by dckingsfan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
Ruzious wrote:What impressed me most about Rui at Gonzaga was his aggression going to the hoop - moreso than his mid-range game. I hope to see more of that this season and less settling. I know a lot depends on the opposition, because he got a lot of his shots blocked, but he's got a year of experience now and hopefully an improved bag of tricks. It also helps that Bryant will bring his man outside - as Doc mentioned. When that happens, Rui can take his man 1 on 1 to the rack. And if he can make the 3 a weapon, it'll help him even more.

We aren't going anywhere with plodding Bryant as a starter. Wall, Beal, and Rui are fast paced crush with high energy and running the court. Bryant's plodding style only works when we face true centers that are offensive weapons. Not many of those when you look at the top 4 playoffs teams in eastern conference this year. Only Embiid.

Your point? We have holes at SF, PF and C.

To me, "plodding style" means slow moving. Are you saying he is slow moving on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball? When you say plodding style, do you mean that Bryant doesn't run the floor?
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#1287 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:10 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:

To me, "plodding style" means slow moving. Are you saying he is slow moving on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball? When you say plodding style, do you mean that Bryant doesn't run the floor?

I don't think he is high energy. But I want him on our team.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#1288 » by dckingsfan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:13 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:We aren't going anywhere with plodding Bryant as a starter. Wall, Beal, and Rui are fast paced crush with high energy and running the court. Bryant's plodding style only works when we face true centers that are offensive weapons. Not many of those when you look at the top 4 playoffs teams in eastern conference this year. Only Embiid.

I don't think he is high energy.

Can you further define that - it seems different than what I have seen. Do you mean offensively, defensively, other?

The only part on the offensive end that bothers me is when he gets a defensive rebound and the time to outlet. He seems to run the floor well.

Defensively, I wouldn't call it a lack of energy that he displays rather his reaction time. That renders him less useful for rim protection, switches, etc. But he is young... so that should improve.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1289 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:32 am

Rui was one of 22 rookies who played upwards of 1000 minutes this year. Some were high R1 picks, some were picked later in R1. Others were picked in R2, & a few weren't picked at all. A mixed crew, you might say.

Rui was pretty much exactly in the middle of that pack productivity-wise -- about the 10th most productive of the 22. Something like that, anyway. Everyone's numbers are readily available, so you can decide for yourself.

It's worth mentioning that only 1 of the guys taken from #3-8 was more productive than Rui (Jaxson Hayes). As were Morant & Zion, the # 2 & #1 picks (tho, owing to injury, Zion didn't log 1000 minutes).

The guys taken from 3-7 (Barrett, Hunter, Garland, Culver & White), on the other hand were absolutely awful, every one of the them.

Moreover, of the 10 guys taken right after Rui (picks #10-19), only Cam Johnson & Tyler Herro had better seasons than he did. So, overall, only 5 of the top 19 picks in the 2019 draft had better rookie seasons than his. The other 5 above him on the list of 22 (Clarke, Thybulle, Williams, Bazley & Davis) were taken later in the draft or, in the case of Terence Davis, went undrafted.

You can find things to like in Rui's rookie season, & you can find things not to like. But, overall, Rui didn't play particularly well as a rookie. Yet, he certainly wasn't a bust! He showed he can be an NBA player. &, if you're a homer, which most fans are, you can interpret some of his play as hints of likely improvement.

Anyway, it was just his rookie year. Let's see how much he improves in his 2d year. Maybe he'll improve a whole lot. If so, that'll be great.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,575

Post#1290 » by oldshoolballer » Fri Nov 6, 2020 11:30 am

Looking forward to see Rui play with Wall. I think much more transition for the Wiz and Rui runs the floor well. Lots of easy baskets on the break as well as pick and roll as JW excels at that. Should be a fun season to watch.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1291 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 8, 2020 2:36 pm

Working his face-up game
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1292 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 3:01 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Working his face-up game

That Yuta Watanabe guy looks pretty good!
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1293 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 8, 2020 3:26 pm

Nah, terrible hip bend. :clown:
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1294 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 8, 2020 3:43 pm

Honestly I don't like that this is his focus. He's not going to be a face-up slow dribbling guard attacking from the top of the key off the dribble. He needs to be working on his catch and shoot game, and studying at a Big Man camp, learning low post foot work, and how to box out and rebound. Or else he needs to be working on the 2-man game in the pick and roil. HIs real time action needs to not be as the biggest guy on the floor at a 'guard' camp, but fighting for position against guys stronger than him. Even as a small forward the best chance he has as an offensive mismatch is if his superior strength lets him bully them in the low post. He is not going to finesse anyone with that slow dribble and half speed footwork face-up attack. He needs a dedicated skills guy working with him on the game that he will play in the NBA.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1295 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:14 pm

doclinkin wrote:Honestly I don't like that this is his focus. He's not going to be a face-up slow dribbling guard attacking from the top of the key off the dribble. He needs to be working on his catch and shoot game, and studying at a Big Man camp, learning low post foot work, and how to box out and rebound. Or else he needs to be working on the 2-man game in the pick and roil. HIs real time action needs to not be as the biggest guy on the floor at a 'guard' camp, but fighting for position against guys stronger than him. Even as a small forward the best chance he has as an offensive mismatch is if his superior strength lets him bully them in the low post. He is not going to finesse anyone with that slow dribble and half speed footwork face-up attack. He needs a dedicated skills guy working with him on the game that he will play in the NBA.

The competition looks weak too. He got a bunch of open looks just from the defense being lazy.

I don't want to read too much into a random video of a pickup game though.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1296 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 8, 2020 4:52 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Honestly I don't like that this is his focus. He's not going to be a face-up slow dribbling guard attacking from the top of the key off the dribble. He needs to be working on his catch and shoot game, and studying at a Big Man camp, learning low post foot work, and how to box out and rebound. Or else he needs to be working on the 2-man game in the pick and roil. HIs real time action needs to not be as the biggest guy on the floor at a 'guard' camp, but fighting for position against guys stronger than him. Even as a small forward the best chance he has as an offensive mismatch is if his superior strength lets him bully them in the low post. He is not going to finesse anyone with that slow dribble and half speed footwork face-up attack. He needs a dedicated skills guy working with him on the game that he will play in the NBA.

The competition looks weak too. He got a bunch of open looks just from the defense being lazy.

I don't want to read too much into a random video of a pickup game though.

Fair last sentence, but still, nothing he did in this video looks like it would translate to the NBA. Contrast with Wall and TBJ looking crisp and good in footage over the summer against real competition and NBA players.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#1297 » by DCZards » Sun Nov 8, 2020 6:37 pm

I believe Rui has the ability to be a well-rounded offensive player. So I have no problem whatsoever with him working on this aspect of his game. There's a good chance that Rui will end up playing a lot of SF (some Zards brass, as well as Beal, have suggested as much) so it makes sense for him to work on his dribble penetration.

It doesn't mean that he's not regularly working on other aspects of his offensive game.

Rui displayed a decent ability to take defenders off the dribble in the bubble...where he got more opportunities to handle the ball.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1298 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 8, 2020 7:02 pm

DCZards wrote:I believe Rui has the ability to be a well-rounded offensive player. So I have no problem whatsoever with him working on this aspect of his game. There's a good chance that Rui will end up playing a lot of SF (some Zards brass, as well as Beal, have suggested as much) so it makes sense for him to work on his dribble penetration.

It doesn't mean that he's not regularly working on other aspects of his offensive game.

Rui displayed some decent ability to take defenders off the dribble in the bubble...where he got more opportunities to handle the ball.

I'm more concerned with his level of competition. If he is in a game where Yuta Watanabe is the best player on the floor, he is not learning against high level competition. I have no problem with him diversifying his game. Adding range is a positive. Still the areas where he is most deficient is anywhere near the paint, both in defense, rebounding, and anything resembling footwork or go-to moves. These are things that you can't practice alone in a gym. Maybe he has been able to work on this but this is literally the first time (in months of bored searches) that I have heard anything about him since the bubble, aside from him unboxing his new signature Jordans. Which I have to say do look pretty sweet.

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1299 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 9, 2020 3:43 am

You know... in my many years as a Bulls/Wizards fan, I have never seen a rookie get the intense scrutiny that Rui is subjected to! Nor have I seen people make the wild positive projections of a Wizards rookie that they make about Rui -- ok, maybe Wall, but not Beal & not Porter. & those guys went to us at #3.

I've also never seen a rookie be defended against criticism the way Rui is. Beal got critiqued very hard. People were calling him a bust pretty quickly. Whereas Rui -- who has NOT played well so far -- is being projected as if we knew he'd be a star. Or at least a really good starter. Or at least a starter. Or at least an average NBA player. Even though we don't have any idea whether he'll be any of those things.

I'm not complaining. I don't mind it -- why should I? But... it's pretty weird all the same! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1300 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:47 am

I know Rui's fans like his mid-range game, but I thought his strength at Gonzaga was going aggressively to the hoop. He's gotta do more of that and learn the tricks of drawing fouls. Don't get frustrated when he has a couple of his shots blocked. Just get smarter.
And work on the 3 point shot! Settling for wimpy mid-range jumpers isn't going to make him a good NBA player, imo. No fadeaway mid-range jumpers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards