ImageImageImageImageImage

Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,480

Re: Where will Raptors play next year if border still closed 

Post#141 » by OakleyDokely » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Mexico City
Bobby Plump
Junior
And1: 214

Post#142 » by Bobby Plump » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:29 am

How about building a stadium in a corn field in Iowa?
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#143 » by polo007 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:50 pm

Kansas City mayor says city would be a great host for Toronto Raptors - TSN.ca

Kansas City is continuing their push for the Toronto Raptors.

As travel between Canada and the United States remains difficult and may for some time in the wake of COVID-19, the Raptors could be forced to adopt an American home for the 2020-21 NBA season if they’re not able to play at Scotiabank Arena.

Rumours have swirled about possible locations in recent weeks, but perhaps no chatter has been as loud as that surrounding Kansas City.

The city’s mayor, Quinton Lucas, joined TSN Radio 1040’s Halford and Brough Thursday morning to discuss why he thinks K.C. is a viable option and reiterate that his city isn’t trying to steal the Raptors for good.

“On the whole, everybody I think understands the situation. And, you know, I think they get that if it comes to a need that the Raptors play in the United States, then you might as well pick a place that is a new market, provides some new opportunity, has other large cities close to it that also don’t have the NBA, like St. Louis for example. I think it could be a very nice short relationship,” Lucas said.

“Everybody knows we’re not trying to steal the Raptors. There is no way we could ever do that. The Toronto area has millions more people than we do. But this is more of a thing of hey, let’s just see if we can show our best and put our best foot forward and be a good host for the Raptors for a little while.”
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#144 » by jimmy keys » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Interesting to see how many cities want an NBA team badly.

1. Louisville
2. Buffalo
3. New Jersey
4. Kansas City
5. Vegas
6. San Diego
7. St. Louis
8. Pittsburgh
9. Baltimore

Not even counting Seattle. That's a lot of cities.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,108

Post#145 » by xAIRNESSx » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:05 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/civil-rights-groups-warn-nba-adam-silver-using-kansas-city-home-toronto-raptors-black-lives-matter-033023192.html
Civil rights groups warn NBA against relocating to Kansas City
The Urban League of Greater Kansas City, the Southern Christian Leadership Conference of Greater Kansas City and the Kansas City, Missouri, chapter of the NAACP wrote a letter explaining their worries about the possible move to NBA commissioner Adam Silver last week, according to KMBC.

“While having the NBA choose Kansas City as a home for the Toronto Raptors would be a huge honor, and excite NBA fans in Kansas City, as you understand, there are some issues which supersede fun and economic interests,” they wrote, in part. “The protection of Black lives remains our most pressing concern … Although Kansas City is a great sports city, it is also a city where law enforcement has demonstrated extreme hostility and excessive force towards Black people.”

Too bad for Patty Mahomes.
Econ101
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#146 » by Econ101 » Mon Nov 2, 2020 6:52 pm

Every US city has demonstrated excessive force and hostility. If it can happen in Minneapolis, it can happen anywhere. They'll just have to pick a city at some point.
Stillthechamps
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#147 » by Stillthechamps » Tue Nov 3, 2020 1:35 am

The issue with many of these potential city's, is that they lack a practice facility. If the Raptors are in a city with an NHL team, it means they would need a proper facility. This is a full season we are talking about. I also wonder if they are forced to relocate, whether they would prefer a warmer climate city for the season. My money is on Nashville.
rocky_da_best
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,850

Post#148 » by rocky_da_best » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:23 am

How difficult would it be to arrange for other NBA teams to be able to travel to Toronto? We literally have hundreds of planes arriving from other countries every week in Toronto. If they were truly concerned about COVID entering our country via flights, then most flights would be cancelled. No reason why the Brooklyn Nets can't arrive in Toronto on a Thursday, play Friday and Saturday, and then fly home Sunday and the entire time have to abide by the rules of staying in the hotel/gym only. It's two full days and three nights. Jesus is that really that hard to arrange?
Mart1546
Junior
And1: 137

Post#149 » by Mart1546 » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:44 am

That has the Raptors considering a stateside residence for next season, especially if the season starts Dec. 22. Newark, the former home of the New Jersey Nets, is an option, reports Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News. He also lists other possible stops.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/01/report-raptors-look-into-playing-next-season-in-newark-or-nashville-or-tampa-bay/

I think Newark may be the best option, plus their fans are familiar with us since the VC trade
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#150 » by Anticon » Tue Nov 3, 2020 2:17 pm

chubbs715 wrote:
That has the Raptors considering a stateside residence for next season, especially if the season starts Dec. 22. Newark, the former home of the New Jersey Nets, is an option, reports Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News. He also lists other possible stops.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/11/01/report-raptors-look-into-playing-next-season-in-newark-or-nashville-or-tampa-bay/

I think Newark may be the best option, plus their fans are familiar with us since the VC trade

My guess is these guys don't want to swap a Toronto winter for a New Jersey one if they don't have to.
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Post#151 » by M3tro » Tue Nov 3, 2020 3:43 pm

I'm going to guess that we end up in Pittsburgh.
markR
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#152 » by markR » Wed Nov 4, 2020 1:58 pm

Border being closed to you and I by LAND ONLY will have no any bearing at this point on professional sports and specifically the NBA.

The border is not closed. So please stop saying it is to US travel. The border is closed at land crossings to non essential travel. Big...huge difference.

Millions of canadians and others have gone south and back forth for months. Anyone see the people coming back after going to NFL and world series games.

In fact, they never stopped. Every single one of us, could have and can continue to go to the US and back by air.

Sure, 2 week, cough cough...er unregulated two weeks at home...cough...just fake symptoms and get a covid test for days after return....cough....Ontario incapable of enforcing anything...cough cough.

Just google the forums of all the people travelling and doing this. Why do you think covid testing sites had signs telling people who have travelled they must starly home for 14 days before a test?

This is way different now than in may or june.

The NBA is playing in toronto. I guarantee it.

Teams will be allowed to cross border, do rapid tests supplied by the NBA and signed off on by heath officials in province and federally, and have to have close proximity to their hotel for games. Probably daily required tests of all all team players and staff for entire season.

this will happen.

And there will also be fans. Exempted by local health and spread out like NFL games.

I also just filled out my season seat holder survey asking if I was prepared to go to games this year, yes, was I ok with only two seats together...yes, mine only are, ok with limited or no potential to resale tickets, yes, I was, and whether I was ok to be moved to locations with more space if i could not return to my location...yes...and did I want a package of games or single games. Package.

So here is my two cents.

Fans allowed. Seasons seat holders only allowed unless they do not opt in.

If they opt in and can not spread out enough, then they make packages to different groups and then after that, perhaps allowed pairs of single games to be purchased by the public.

I'd say also no alcohol and probably limited food or no food options.
M3tro
Analyst
And1: 3,063

Post#153 » by M3tro » Sun Nov 8, 2020 1:59 am

Stillthechamps wrote:The issue with many of these potential city's, is that they lack a practice facility. If the Raptors are in a city with an NHL team, it means they would need a proper facility. This is a full season we are talking about. I also wonder if they are forced to relocate, whether they would prefer a warmer climate city for the season. My money is on Nashville.

Nice prediction

Report: Nashville emerges as candidate to host Raptors in 2020-21
https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2048930
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,690

Post#154 » by Zeno » Sun Nov 8, 2020 2:58 am

M3tro wrote:
Stillthechamps wrote:The issue with many of these potential city's, is that they lack a practice facility. If the Raptors are in a city with an NHL team, it means they would need a proper facility. This is a full season we are talking about. I also wonder if they are forced to relocate, whether they would prefer a warmer climate city for the season. My money is on Nashville.

Nice prediction

Nashville is a income tax free state which would help offset some of the additional escrow this year. It will also be fun to have the Naismith Cup be revived as the battle for Tennessee with the Raps and Grizz perhaps in the preseason. Keeping Gasol might be cheaper with this move since he'll be pretty close to Memphis by air.
However unless they plan to play an even number of games against the Eastern conference travel won't be great. Perhaps Raps and Wiz could swap divisions for a year. It would be cool to raise a Southeast division banner next year.

Edit: Just checked flight times and Nashville is like 1 to 2 hours tops by air from every single Eastern conference market. It looks like the absolutely best choice.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,291

Post#155 » by D.Brasco » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:15 am

A Buffalo senator wants them if border travel will remain an issue. I say why not? It can't hurt to expand the Raps fanbase right next door.

Makes more sense than St. Louis or Nashville.
Mattatron
Starter
And1: 1,665

Post#156 » by Mattatron » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:53 am

Nashville? Let's keep Marc and bring everyone back.
Stillthechamps
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#157 » by Stillthechamps » Sun Nov 8, 2020 8:54 pm

M3tro wrote:

Nice prediction

Appreciate it. Truth be told, I have a friend at MLSE, and he told me that the league wants Newark, and that the Raps want to be elsewhere. It will come down to Tampa or Nashville. I had heard Tampa is the most likely, but the situation is still evolving.
Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#158 » by Kingsway_fan » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:59 pm

It will be toronto. Just watch..
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,919

Post#159 » by JN » Mon Nov 9, 2020 6:20 pm

rocky_da_best wrote:How difficult would it be to arrange for other NBA teams to be able to travel to Toronto? We literally have hundreds of planes arriving from other countries every week in Toronto. If they were truly concerned about COVID entering our country via flights, then most flights would be cancelled. No reason why the Brooklyn Nets can't arrive in Toronto on a Thursday, play Friday and Saturday, and then fly home Sunday and the entire time have to abide by the rules of staying in the hotel/gym only. It's two full days and three nights. Jesus is that really that hard to arrange?

It's not just the visiting teams who would have to quarantine (or have restrictions on what they can and can't do) under the current rules.

Every time the Raptors come back from the US, like any other Canadian citizen coming back by plane they would need to quarantine. And furthermore anybody the Raptors are living with upon their return (their family) would need to quarantine for this period as well.

Part of the problem with MLB as I understand is that some of the players prior to government's decision communicated the "we are free to do what we want wherever we want" card.

I haven't really hurt this from the NBA players, so the government may be more open to discussion with them. I think acceptance of the NBA playing in Toronto could be done, but it would be contingent on the following:
1) Visiting teams staying at hotel / gym / arena as you discussed
2) The Toronto Raptors players assuming the same restrictions during the season (their home / gym / arena).
3) Some sort of mandatory testing for the families of the Raptors players on a more regular basis.

On 2) and 3) rapid testing would certainly help a lot.

That type of framework was apparently something many MLB players wanted nothing off.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#160 » by polo007 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Raptors