ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets new City Jerseys leaked. Inspired by NY Black History.

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1 » by Paradise » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:41 am

Nets will debut new City Jerseys inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat. A world famous haitian painter from the 1970s who was from Brooklyn. He is The Godfather of street art and the graffiti trend.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Michel_Basquiat

Read on Twitter

The Nets will wear 6 different jersey sets next season:

- Association (White)
- Icon (Black)
- Statement
- City (Black History)
- Earned
- Classic (Tie Dye 90’s)
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets new City Jerseys leaked. Inspired by NY Black History. 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:02 am

Paradise wrote:Nets will debut new City Jerseys inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat. A world famous haitian painter from the 1970s who was from Brooklyn. He is The Godfather of street art and the graffiti trend.

Read on Twitter

- Association (White)
- Icon (Black)
- Statement
- City (Black History)
- Earned
- Classic (Tie Dye 90’s)

i get the inspiration and im sure some will like them. to me it looks like a cheap soccer jersey.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#3 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:14 am

there are some nice things about it. i like the colorful paint splashes. overall I think it's too busy. as cool as the herring bone pattern is the design would be stronger and more coherent without it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,549

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:46 am

Paradise wrote:Nets will debut new City Jerseys inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat. A world famous haitian painter from the 1970s who was from Brooklyn. He is The Godfather of street art and the graffiti trend.

Read on Twitter

- Association (White)
- Icon (Black)
- Statement
- City (Black History)
- Earned
- Classic (Tie Dye 90’s)

I need to see them being worn to make an official judgement, but props to the Nets brass for really getting into Brooklyn and Black roots with Basquiat. The color scheme on the sides make me think that the Nets will have some awesome looking shorts on these uniforms.

I need some context though for some of these jerseys on the 6 sets. What are the Statement and Earned jerseys? Are we not going to wear the Coogi jerseys?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#5 » by MGrand15 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:06 am

I think these jerseys are fire. Definitely unique which you can't say about 95% of jerseys now. I think they'll look a lot better when we see them fully rolled out.

I'm sure the coogi design will be back somehow. They're too popular. Wouldn't be shocked if they came back in White like last year but without the Bedstuy logo (hopefully it just says NETS). We still haven't seen the Earned or Statement jerseys. Those could be anything.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#6 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
I need to see them being worn to make an official judgement, but props to the Nets brass for really getting into Brooklyn and Black roots with Basquiat. The color scheme on the sides make me think that the Nets will have some awesome looking shorts on these uniforms.

I need some context though for some of these jerseys on the 6 sets. What are the Statement and Earned jerseys? Are we not going to wear the Coogi jerseys?

The Coogi will most likely be back again as city editions.

Statement has always been around (Think the 'BKLYN' black jersey with white down the side) Earned jersey's are for teams who made the playoffs in previous seasons.

I for one love all the variety of jerseys. Gives me more incentive to buy them and Nets usually design really cool jersey's. There will be something for everyone's taste.

I'll wait for the officials before judging the Basquiat's but I like what I'm seeing. Also excited for the shorts!
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#7 » by Claud » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:49 pm

They look solid, I'm also waiting to see how they look when they are officially out before passing judgement.

Those black coogie ones were fire.
I wanted to buy one earlier this year but all they had was the bed stuy one which I like but those coogie ones I loved. Would love to get another chance. Definatelly coppin the light blue Kyrie as soon as possible.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#8 » by gigantes » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:04 pm

These tribute jerseys continue to make me proud of our team, although like many aspects of life, protest-life, and BLM, sometimes there's some real tragedy behind the scenes.

As WP tells it:
Jean-Michel Basquiat (French: [ʒɑ̃ miʃɛl baskja]; December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist of Haitian and Puerto Rican descent.

(Look at some of his crazy-cool art, here --gigantes)
https://www.google.com/search?q=jean+michel+basquiat&tbm=isch

Basquiat first achieved fame as part of SAMO, an informal graffiti duo who wrote enigmatic epigrams in the cultural hotbed of the Lower East Side of Manhattan during the late 1970s, where rap, punk, and street art coalesced into early hip-hop music culture.

By the early 1980s, his neo-expressionist paintings were being exhibited in galleries and museums internationally.

At 21, he became the youngest artist to ever take part in Documenta in Kassel. At 22, he was the youngest to exhibit at the Whitney Biennial in New York. The Whitney Museum of American Art held a retrospective of his art in 1992.

Jean-Michel's art focused on dichotomies such as wealth versus poverty, integration versus segregation, and inner versus outer experience. He appropriated poetry, drawing, and painting, and married text and image, abstraction, figuration, and historical information mixed with contemporary critique.

Basquiat used social commentary in his paintings as a tool for introspection and for identifying with his experiences in the black community of his time, as well as attacks on power structures and systems of racism. His visual poetics were acutely political and direct in their criticism of colonialism and support for class struggle.

Unfortunately, the man's life was cut short at age 27 from a heroin overdose in 1988. But if I may say so, it wouldn't be the first case of a person of color resorting to drugs & booze in order to relieve the stress (and likely systemic racism) of a black person daring to comment on the culture at large, regularly putting his name and rep against the system.

We need more Basquiats in life.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#9 » by DarkXaero » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:47 pm

I don't care what it was inspired by, that looks god awful with that font/logo.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,083

Post#10 » by therealbig3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:17 pm

Yeah not really a fan. I like the intent and the homage, but it looks way too cartoonish imo.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#11 » by Stone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:53 pm

Well now I know where the SAMO tag came from. I remember it back 40 years ago at the cages in the Village. When I think Brooklyn graffiti I think REVS or even Pray...

We are embracing stuff nobody else ever has....One more reason to love the Nets
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:51 pm

gigantes wrote:These tribute jerseys continue to make me proud of our team, although like many aspects of life, protest-life, and BLM, sometimes there's some real tragedy behind the scenes.

As WP tells it:
Jean-Michel Basquiat (French: [ʒɑ̃ miʃɛl baskja]; December 22, 1960 – August 12, 1988) was an American artist of Haitian and Puerto Rican descent.

Basquiat first achieved fame as part of SAMO, an informal graffiti duo who wrote enigmatic epigrams in the cultural hotbed of the Lower East Side of Manhattan during the late 1970s, where rap, punk, and street art coalesced into early hip-hop music culture.

By the early 1980s, his neo-expressionist paintings were being exhibited in galleries and museums internationally.

At 21, he became the youngest artist to ever take part in Documenta in Kassel. At 22, he was the youngest to exhibit at the Whitney Biennial in New York. The Whitney Museum of American Art held a retrospective of his art in 1992.

Jean-Michel's art focused on dichotomies such as wealth versus poverty, integration versus segregation, and inner versus outer experience. He appropriated poetry, drawing, and painting, and married text and image, abstraction, figuration, and historical information mixed with contemporary critique.

Basquiat used social commentary in his paintings as a tool for introspection and for identifying with his experiences in the black community of his time, as well as attacks on power structures and systems of racism. His visual poetics were acutely political and direct in their criticism of colonialism and support for class struggle.

Unfortunately, the man's life was cut short at age 27 from a heroin overdose in 1988. But if I may say so, it wouldn't be the first case of a person of color resorting to drugs & booze in order to relieve the stress (and likely systemic racism) of a black person daring to comment on the culture at large, regularly putting his name and rep against the system.

It's sad but true, dude snorted so much coke he destoryed the inside of his nose.

a lot of what pushes Black folks towards liquor and drugs is just the situational awareness that you have to have to survive in this country, from dealing with police to racist microaggressions at your job, to worrying about other people's comfort instead of your own because you're afraid of racist perceptions being used against you, so on and so forth. Ask any Black man how they feel getting into an elevator with a white woman that he doesn't know, he's probably the most nervous one in there.

A guy once said to me "man if you ain't smoking or drinking something on the regular I can't trust you" and it took me a few years to understood what he meant by that :lol:

But what kills me about Basquiat is that the guy's work sells for millions of dollars and he's not even alive to partake in any of it. :nonono:

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:55 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Yeah not really a fan. I like the intent and the homage, but it looks way too cartoonish imo.

I understand, but it's literally the point since that's what his style was:

I still say the jury is out til you see these on the court, but I already am sold on the idea of how the shorts will look with that multi color trim on the sides.

gigantes
Starter

Post#14 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 8, 2020 11:20 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Yeah not really a fan. I like the intent and the homage, but it looks way too cartoonish imo.

I understand, but it's literally the point since that's what his style was:

I still say the jury is out til you see these on the court, but I already am sold on the idea of how the shorts will look with that multi color trim on the sides.

Late reply alert. I think I've only seen that last one before, wow.

I work in the arts, and I love seeing inspirational pieces like these. IMO this stuff is truly what the creaive arts are all about, and NOT so much the slavish micro-attention to detail, like all the pencil / pen / other pieces that look exactly like photographs, as seen on Reddit, etc.
gigantes
Starter

Post#15 » by gigantes » Sun Nov 8, 2020 11:41 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:These tribute jerseys continue to make me proud of our team, although like many aspects of life, protest-life, and BLM, sometimes there's some real tragedy behind the scenes.

As WP tells it:

It's sad but true, dude snorted so much coke he destoryed the inside of his nose.

a lot of what pushes Black folks towards liquor and drugs is just the situational awareness that you have to have to survive in this country, from dealing with police to racist microaggressions at your job, to worrying about other people's comfort instead of your own because you're afraid of racist perceptions being used against you, so on and so forth. Ask any Black man how they feel getting into an elevator with a white woman that he doesn't know, he's probably the most nervous one in there.

A guy once said to me "man if you ain't smoking or drinking something on the regular I can't trust you" and it took me a few years to understood what he meant by that :lol:

But what kills me about Basquiat is that the guy's work sells for millions of dollars and he's not even alive to partake in any of it. :nonono:

Yeah, like my man Van Gogh. The guy had issues all over the place, but was at heart a kindly soul, who spent much of his life celebrating the little people in life. His brother Theo spent a large chunk of his income (and emotional health) supporting his brother and paying for his art materials, only to die six months later, not living long enough to see how the art world and public thoroughly re-evaluated Vincent's work.

But yeah, in terms of black people abusing themselves with substances in order to deal with systemic (and direct) oppression... for god's sake, who could possibly blame them? (don't answer that, J. Edgar and Nixon's crew)

All that's even before touching on the huge, deranged band of lunatics who almost stole Trump (and the GOP) yet another presidential election just now, while falsely portraying the direct opposite. What a bunch of shameful fraudsters, totally bereft of facts and information. "Scoundrels," say I.

Even now the senate race is looking grim, and that was something America badly needed to correct, in order to have a productive, useful POTUS-congress situation, able to effectively deal with a range of critical issues, starting with climate change & anti-CV19 measures.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#16 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 9, 2020 1:51 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

As WP tells it:

Yeah, like my man Van Gogh. The guy had issues all over the place, but was at heart a kindly soul, who spent much of his life celebrating the little people in life. His brother Theo spent a large chunk of his income (and emotional health) supporting his brother and paying for his art materials, only to die six months later, not living long enough to see how the art world and public thoroughly re-evaluated Vincent's work.

But yeah, in terms of black people abusing themselves with substances in order to deal with systemic (and direct) oppression... for god's sake, who could possibly blame them? (don't answer that, J. Edgar and Nixon's crew)

All that's even before touching on the huge, deranged band of lunatics who almost stole Trump (and the GOP) yet another presidential election just now, while falsely portraying the direct opposite. What a bunch of shameful fraudsters, totally bereft of facts and information. "Scoundrels," say I.

Even now the senate race is looking grim, and that was something America badly needed to correct, in order to have a productive, useful POTUS-congress situation, able to effectively deal with a range of critical issues, starting with climate change & anti-CV19 measures.

Georgia is having a special run off for two senate seats. The hope is that since Trump isn't on the ballot, it will depress GOP turnout while Dem turnout increases since if the Dems win those two seats, Mitch McConnell will be basically spending his last term as a Senator being a powerless Senate Minority leader. I know they are pouring a ton of money into those races and Stacy Abrams, who frankly should be the head of the DNC at this point, is leading the way with having registered 800,000 new voters for this election cycle. Simply amazing, I'm hoping the hard work that she and other activists down there in GA pays off so we can get a New Deal presidency out of Joe Biden.

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#17 » by Stone » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Joeyba$$.....is putting this design out, it says there is no indication the Nets will use it.

I personally like the 90's throwback more, but I like Joeys over Basquiat's.

The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#18 » by Claud » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:31 pm

I really like that Joey jersey... something classic about it. We have so many fire options for next season. Sick.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#19 » by Paradise » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#20 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 3, 2020 6:56 pm

those shorts are so sick

Return to Brooklyn Nets